• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKhayal18

My favourite black tea:

http://teashop.eu/shop/es/earl-grey-special.html

I don't know if there are Tea Shops outside Spain, but that mixture of Earl Grey is just outstanding.

10113_EarlGraySpecial.jpg

Not only is it a Silicia bergamota-aromatized black tea, but it's also mixed with orange peels, lemongrass, jasmine flowers and cornflower. Just pure magic, wether you drink it raw or with milk.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
What sort of heathen puts milk in after the tea? Milk first, then tea, never make it in the cup, always use a teapot, preferably heated whilst brewing.

I think I'm the heathen who does that. It's easier to cool the tea just right if you pour the milk in last and having a teapot is a hassle when you only want one cup. The only reason people used to pour in milk first was that they thought the hot water would sterilize the milk from bacteria, a concept that doesn't really apply today, at least where I live. I trust the milk.

You do what you want though, pops.

LProtag

Decided to expand a bit past all the Adagio tea I have (though some of those fandom blends are really interesting).

I ordered the Harney and Sons Paris and Hot Cinnamon Spice teas. Hope they're good.

Also, I've found I really like Adagio's Yunnan Jig, what's a good brand of yunnan to try?

Also also, I think I'm going to look into getting a gaiwan, any recommendations on a cheap but decent one?

Azulsky

Finally tried the Shou Puerh I got from Crimson Lotus Tea a few weeks ago.

Honestly for having a very distinctive smell it has a mild upfront flavor but a strong body and it has that buttery mouthfeeling that I have only had with Hojicha. Kind of like a light black coffee but with non of the acidity/bitterness.

Not bad at all

Hello tea Gaf!

My time in Ireland has turned me into a fan of black tea. Probably had 10 cups of Lyons every day.

But after reading the OP I've decided to try loose leaf tea and a french press for the first time. Does it matter which one I get or can I just buy whatever french press the cheapest is on Amazon? I want to spend a maximum of 50€ on it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hello tea Gaf!

My time in Ireland has turned me into a fan of black tea. Probably had 10 cups of Lyons every day.

But after reading the OP I've decided to try loose leaf tea and a french press for the first time. Does it matter which one I get or can I just buy whatever french press the cheapest is on Amazon? I want to spend a maximum of 50€ on it.

I've had no trouble with more moderately priced French presses. If you have an IKEA nearby, check them out for one.

ameratsu

Decided to expand a bit past all the Adagio tea I have (though some of those fandom blends are really interesting).

I ordered the Harney and Sons Paris and Hot Cinnamon Spice teas. Hope they're good.

Also, I've found I really like Adagio's Yunnan Jig, what's a good brand of yunnan to try?

Also also, I think I'm going to look into getting a gaiwan, any recommendations on a cheap but decent one?

cheap gaiwan: http://yunnansourcing.com/en/gaiwans/1462-white-porcelain-gaiwan-for-gong-fu-cha-brewing-150ml.html

Some yunnan black teas: http://yunnansourcing.com/en/5-yunnan-black-teas

One of my favourites: http://yunnansourcing.com/en/yunnan...varietal-black-tea-of-dehong-spring-2014.html

I'm want to use my Starbucks Rewards to get Tea from Teavana.

What are the best teas to get there? I will have a lot of Starbucks Rewards.

Anyone know of a good recommendation for a French Press?

LProtag

Okay, I'm really digging the Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice and Paris blends, I think I'm going to make a big order of tea from them.

What're the standard teas I should try from them? I know I like Yunnan from the Adagio I have, but nothing else really stood out for me (though I like a lot of their fandom blends).

I quite like these blends, but I don't know enough about them to know where the flavors I'm enjoying come from:
9th Doctor
Watson
Lestrade

shiba5

Okay, I'm really digging the Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice and Paris blends, I think I'm going to make a big order of tea from them.

What're the standard teas I should try from them? I know I like Yunnan from the Adagio I have, but nothing else really stood out for me (though I like a lot of their fandom blends).

I quite like these blends, but I don't know enough about them to know where the flavors I'm enjoying come from:
9th Doctor
Watson
Lestrade

You can always get one of their sampler boxes and try a bunch of stuff.

My favorites are Paris, Soho, Caribe, Bankok, Fenghuang Shuixian, and Genmaicha.

thenexus6

I just had a cup of Clippers "Snore and Peace" tea. Bought them a few weeks ago.

"Organic chamomile, lemon balm and lavender"

It's alright, there was another night time tea I drink from Pukka tea and I think it tasted and actually worked better.

LProtag

You can always get one of their sampler boxes and try a bunch of stuff.

My favorites are Paris, Soho, Caribe, Bankok, Fenghuang Shuixian, and Genmaicha.

I never thought about that as I was always looking at the loose leaf stuff. Hm.

Also wow, that Fenghuang Shuixian is expensive.

Morgoth

Banned
I have enough Starbucks Rewards to get 20 ounces of Teavana's Golden Dragon Yellow Tea!

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/yellow-teas/p/golden-dragon-yellow-tea

What is a good container to keep them long lasting and fresh? Teavana offers their Tin Container for $7. I'm hoping there are much better alternatives.

Damn, that's over $100 worth of tea. 2OZ is $30.
I'm new to this thread but I LOVE tea. I discovered it about two years ago and It is my favorite thing in the world next to horror films.

DJ_Lae

I have enough Starbucks Rewards to get 20 ounces of Teavana's Golden Dragon Yellow Tea!

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/yellow-teas/p/golden-dragon-yellow-tea

What is a good container to keep them long lasting and fresh? Teavana offers their Tin Container for $7. I'm hoping there are much better alternatives.

I'm probably doing it wrong but I kept mine in the bag it came in. Seems to be sealed pretty well with the zip top.

I bought 2oz of that yellow tea last month when it was on sale one weekend - still paid $15 for it, though (rewards would be nicer).

It's a really interesting tea, I've never had one like it before. It has a hint of green tea flavour but 'buttery' is probably the easiest way to describe it. I like it, it's mild and subtle.

I still would like good recommendations for tea container. I'm going to get 20 ounces of Yellow Tea. Any better alternatives than Teavana's $7 Tin Container.

I'm happy that I'm getting $300 worth of Tea from Starbucks Rewards only!

I still would like good recommendations for tea container. I'm going to get 20 ounces of Yellow Tea. Any better alternatives than Teavana's $7 Tin Container.
A mason jar? The only things I can think of are that you might want something reasonably airtight and opaque (or store it somewhere out of constant light).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'd say to go with the teavana storage option if you're already buying from there.

I wouldn't recommend a mason jar unless you keep it in the dark or put some sort of light blocking paper inside.

The Mason Jar is the best choice to store Yellow tea? If so, know of any good deals?
They just make good containers for anything you want to keep air-tight or close. I use a couple for coffee bean storage.

I'd say to go with the teavana storage option if you're already buying from there.

I wouldn't recommend a mason jar unless you keep it in the dark or put some sort of light blocking paper inside.
Yeah, it would have to be opaque. I mentioned it in my post but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Azulsky

I'm happy that I'm getting $300 worth of Tea from Starbucks Rewards only!

I got a few of the tins from Mighty Leaf. They hold 1 lb each. They aren't really airtight but were like $2 a pop so the will last until I find something better.

Currently drinking some stuff from Kusmi Tea (Sencha, Genmaicha, Prince Wladimir, Anastasia). Really enjoy all of it, but I've become more interested and enamored with green tea as of late, so I think I'm going to give O-Cha.com a try. Thanks for the recommendations!

MarkusRJR

For people in Canada, what are some good black teas that are affordable (tea price and shipping)? I'm not a huge fan of floral or fruit flavored tea. Looking to get black tea.

Here it is: 1 lb of Golden Dragon Yellow Tea.

I have 6 ounces left to choose more.
Oh man I love that and that and their Golden Monkey tea.

It seems that I have 10 Rewards available even though I'm supposed to have 6.

Somehow according to my Starbucks app: 22 - 16 = 10

Should I use the other 4?

Good news, the Golden Dragon Leaves smell like Green Tea ice cream!

Bad news, I messed up brewing it the first time.

I waited 2 minutes after the water boils then apply the leaves. Does waiting 2 minutes after boiling equates to 175 degrees Fahrenheit?

Also I put 2 teaspoons in a teaball. Should I let the leaves loose around in the cup?

It doesn't taste sweet, smooth, buttery as I expected. :/

Good news, the Golden Dragon smells like Green Tea ice cream!

Bad news, I messed up brewing it the first time.

I waited 2 minutes after the water boils then apply the leaves. Does waiting 2 minutes after boiling equates to 175 degrees Fahrenheit?

Also I put 2 teaspoons in a teaball. Should I let the leaves loose around in the cup?

It doesn't taste sweet, smooth, buttery as I expected. :/
Not sure on the time down from boiling. Do you have a cooking thermometer you could use to test?

I think loose is best-- or at least loose enough for the leaves to breath in the water. I don't think a teaball is optimal but I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure.

I use one of these: Bodum Assam Tea Press

Chuck

Still without luck
I find it a bit insulting (not really) that with Starbucks' fancy new teavana teas, they still don't have different temped water.

Bitter green tea monsters!

I checked my Starbucks Rewards account, and it says I have 4 Rewards Available.

I'm supposed to have 22 Rewards in Total, yet I'm given 4 plus another 4 totaling 30.

Should I use these 4 Rewards?

Mordeccai

This is going to sound like a stupid question. But how important is it to brew teas at exactly the temperature they recommend on the label?

I'm getting pretty into tea and just ordered a big shipment of three different kinds. All I have at the moment to record temperatures is a meat thermometer, and I dont think it gives accurate readings for liquids.

Would this at least give me a ball park estimate and make the tea brew alright?

For reference, I have a green tea, herbal white, and pu'erh tea. Are any of these three especially sensitive to heat?

Morgoth

Banned
This is going to sound like a stupid question. But how important is it to brew teas at exactly the temperature they recommend on the label?

I'm getting pretty into tea and just ordered a big shipment of three different kinds. All I have at the moment to record temperatures is a meat thermometer, and I dont think it gives accurate readings for liquids.

Would this at least give me a ball park estimate and make the tea brew alright?

For reference, I have a green tea, herbal white, and pu'erh tea. Are any of these three especially sensitive to heat?
Green and white tea are sensitive to heat. Green teas you usually want to make in water that is 170-175. White tea is 160-165

shaowebb

Any Australians here? I've been following Easy Way Teas for years and I'd love to know more. They have party trays where you can get multiple cups of sealed pearls, jellies or what have you and multiple cups of tea and then mix and match to your own delight. They have bubble tea, iced, frozen, smoothies...just good stuff.

Here's the vid that led me to them back during my journey of finding out more on how to make delicious bubble tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H_oCMuCCz8

YxVlvkB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom