• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Haha 'allo Vera.

I'm a fan of the macha milk tea and the original green tea (not a massive fan of the tapioca pearls). My partner loves the lychee with lychee jelly.

I also love Share Tea - there's a few of them around Sydney. They have a green tea drink with cream, rock salt and cheese. Somehow it just works.

I came across a recipe on the Tea Centre website the other day for how to make your own at home. I haven't tried it out yet though.

http://blog.theteacentre.com.au/pearl-recipe-chilled-bubble-tea/

Any Australians here? I've been following Easy Way Teas for years and I'd love to know more. They have party trays where you can get multiple cups of sealed pearls, jellies or what have you and multiple cups of tea and then mix and match to your own delight. They have bubble tea, iced, frozen, smoothies...just good stuff.

Here's the vid that led me to them back during my journey of finding out more on how to make delicious bubble tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H_oCMuCCz8

YxVlvkB.jpg

Seanbob11

Not sure on the time down from boiling. Do you have a cooking thermometer you could use to test?

I think loose is best-- or at least loose enough for the leaves to breath in the water. I don't think a teaball is optimal but I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure.

I use one of these: Bodum Assam Tea Press

I've got one of those too, but it look so long for the tea to infuse that I just can't wait. How long do you normally take to brew?

I've got one of those too, but it look so long for the tea to infuse that I just can't wait. How long do you normally take to brew?
Depends on the tea. I think for black tea, I go for 3 to 5 minutes, basically.

This is going to sound like a stupid question. But how important is it to brew teas at exactly the temperature they recommend on the label?

I'm getting pretty into tea and just ordered a big shipment of three different kinds. All I have at the moment to record temperatures is a meat thermometer, and I dont think it gives accurate readings for liquids.

Would this at least give me a ball park estimate and make the tea brew alright?

For reference, I have a green tea, herbal white, and pu'erh tea. Are any of these three especially sensitive to heat?
A variable temperature electric kettle will do the trick.

Esch

Banned
Can Jasmine go bad? Good lord. I had some loose leaf jasmine yesterday I got from my grandma and it tasted astringent as hell, but I had the same batch a couple months ago and it was fine. Delicious even. Still pretty well sealed and kept out of the light. ..

How am I getting so many freebies?

1st time I got 16 ounces of Golden Dragon.

2nd time 10 ounces of Golden Dragon.

3rd time 13 ounces of Imperial Green Tea and 13 ounces of Jasmine Silver Needle White Tea.

Starbucks Rewards got me 52 ounces of Teavana Tea so far and I have 6 Rewards left!

I was supposed to get 22 Ounces of Loose Leaf Tea, but somehow I got 58 Total Rewards, possibly more.

P.S. What's the Brew Time for Jasmine Silver Needle(2 min) and Imperial Green Tea(1 min)?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
In case you are looking for a decent electric kettle at a decent price, Woot has a Bonavita for $50 (+ $5 shipping): http://home.woot.com/

FArqibI.jpg

Some features:

Adjustable in one degree increments 140°-212°F
1500 watts for quick heating
Real-time temperature display
Heat and hold at desired temperature for up to 60 minutes
Brushed stainless steel and BPA-free plastic
Commercial UL rating

Plus a 4 star rating on Amazon (which normally sells this for about $70 or so)

morningbus

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was considering snagging one, too.

But my Adagio one is still going strong with no signs of giving up, so it's hard for me to justify the purchase.

Esch

Banned
bought some sencha first flush, pinhead gunpowder, and tie guan yin oolong from my local store. it says its all organic (i hear a lot of organic teas are garbage) but it was reasonably priced. Sipping on this sencha now though and I think it's pretty nice and mild though.

morningbus

It's not that organic tea is necessarily garbage, it's just that the term "organic" is completely meaningless, incredibly easy to cheat, and incredibly hard to actually check up on.

Basically, it's usually not worth worrying about.

perturbator

Neo Member
Does anyone have some recommendations for exact cups/glasses/jugs I can pick up to be able to use the iced tea method from the first post? The one where you fill up the cup with ice and pour your freshly brewed hot tea right on top.

I had a bad experience when I was younger when I poured hot coffee over ice in a glass blender jar and the thing cracked and broke, sending shards and liquid in all directions. I'd like to avoid this situation again if possible, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are we talking hot or cold?

I always find hot tea to be stress relievers. The moment I sip on a hot tea, I instantly regress on a relaxing posture and feel the calmness entering my body. I don't understand any love for cold tea though.

dogflaps

Banned
I'm drinking green tea every day (new years resolution) for the health benefits. However, I find the taste absolutely revolting. I'm getting it in teabags, as opposed to loose leaves.

As I detest the flavour so much, I really don't want to be doing it if I'm not getting the maximum benefits from it. Would drinking it made with leaves be much healthier? Am I missing much by using teabags?

Cryxo93

Banned
I'm drinking green tea every day (new years resolution) for the health benefits. However, I find the taste absolutely revolting. I'm getting it in teabags, as opposed to loose leaves.

As I detest the flavour so much, I really don't want to be doing it if I'm not getting the maximum benefits from it. Would drinking it made with leaves be much healthier? Am I missing much by using teabags?

I don't know man, that stuff is tasty!

I've had really disgusting green tea in the past. Have you tried different brands and styles?

But nothing tastes worse than Lapsang... Urgh....

The Enchanter

Neo Member
I used to detest green tea as well, though eventually got into it by making the tea a little weaker to start and blended with other things. My partner will only drink green tea with honey as he finds it too bitter otherwise.

I generally prefer the loose leaf as it tastes a bit fresher. In terms of health benefits though it probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

morningbus

Does anyone have some recommendations for exact cups/glasses/jugs I can pick up to be able to use the iced tea method from the first post? The one where you fill up the cup with ice and pour your freshly brewed hot tea right on top.

I had a bad experience when I was younger when I poured hot coffee over ice in a glass blender jar and the thing cracked and broke, sending shards and liquid in all directions. I'd like to avoid this situation again if possible, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brew your tea in a French press (this will help regulate pouring the hot tea over ice). Otherwise, any large drinking glass will suffice.

If you're really trying to avoid thermal shock, wait until the last minute before you fill the cup with ice.

Esch

Banned
It's not that organic tea is necessarily garbage, it's just that the term "organic" is completely meaningless, incredibly easy to cheat, and incredibly hard to actually check up on.

Basically, it's usually not worth worrying about.

You were right lol. I ended up trying the rest of it out and the Oolong was pretty mediocre, but the rest of it was good. Maybe i just like the oolongs closer to green tea anyway?

I mean if you really don't like it that much just don't drink it lol. I find the looseleaf greens ive had wayyyy better than anything i've got out of a bag though. But there are supposedly good bag/pyramid options. maybe just not retail, i guess?

Costia

I just use the cold brew method. Basically fill a bottle of water and put tea leaves in it. Leave it in the fridge overnight and you will get iced tea.

As for the posts about the green tea, I ordered a few from O-cha and a few sellers ebay and never found it bitter. It's kinda grassy, some of the Japanese ones reminded me of seaweeds. Maybe you brew it with boiling water, that could probably make it bitter. I also brew them for a shorter period of time than the black teas. (I actually don't like green teas, oolong and pu-erh taste better for me)

perturbator

Neo Member
Brew your tea in a French press (this will help regulate pouring the hot tea over ice). Otherwise, any large drinking glass will suffice.

If you're really trying to avoid thermal shock, wait until the last minute before you fill the cup with ice.

Thank you. For whatever reason I thought there'd be a special kind of glass to avoid the issue entirely.

Amazing thread by the way, thanks for making it. It's really helped me towards cutting out all the crap I was drinking before.

I just use the cold brew method. Basically fill a bottle of water and put tea leaves in it. Leave it in the fridge overnight and you will get iced tea.

Have you experimented with brewing time or have you just stuck with overnight?

sn00zer

So Lipton Carbonated Lite Ice Tea is my favorite drink by far. And its only available n the Netherlands as far as I know. Lipton announces sparkling Ice Tea in the US for the first time BUT THEY DONT HAVE BLACK TEA FLAVOR JUST STUPID FRUIT GOD DAMMIT

morningbus

Thank you. For whatever reason I thought there'd be a special kind of glass to avoid the issue entirely.

Amazing thread by the way, thanks for making it. It's really helped me towards cutting out all the crap I was drinking before.

Glad I could be of help!

I like using glass mason jars (hipster bullshit, i know) because they are sturdy and designed to take some abuse. I usually use a large mason jar (64 oz capacity) and then pour off into other cups from there.

So Lipton Carbonated Lite Ice Tea is my favorite drink by far. And its only available n the Netherlands as far as I know. Lipton announces sparkling Ice Tea in the US for the first time BUT THEY DONT HAVE BLACK TEA FLAVOR JUST STUPID FRUIT GOD DAMMIT

I had a sample of the U.S. stuff at a store recently and it was pretty pleasant. It's too high in sugar for me, though.

Costia

Have you experimented with brewing time or have you just stuck with overnight?

Just stuck it in the fridge overnight, maybe even longer.

dogflaps

Banned
Thanks to everyone for your input regarding Green Tea health benefits. I'm going to carry on drinking it, I just fill the mug to less than half way and basically drink it like a shot.

The_Poet

Banned
I got a real taste for Pu'er tea since going to china recently. I bought some back but I'm going through it pretty quick.

Anyone know where I can buy some decent Pu'er in the UK / online?

Fugu

Can Jasmine go bad? Good lord. I had some loose leaf jasmine yesterday I got from my grandma and it tasted astringent as hell, but I had the same batch a couple months ago and it was fine. Delicious even. Still pretty well sealed and kept out of the light. ..
Jasmine can definitely go bad, although I'd say it takes anywhere from around a year to two years for it to happen.

First of all, there aren't enough health benefits to green tea to force yourself to drink it every day. In fact, there may be none at all, other than the residual effects of drinking hot water.

As for the taste, you're almost definitely steeping it for too long and in water that's too hot. Generic "green tea" bags (from the likes of Tetley or whatever) don't need to be steeped for more than like, 30 seconds in a regular size glass. Failing that, you might also try jasmine tea, which is a variation on green tea that is hard to screw up.

Thanks to everyone for your input regarding Green Tea health benefits. I'm going to carry on drinking it, I just fill the mug to less than half way and basically drink it like a shot.

What brand of green tea are you drinking? In my experience store bought bagged green tea tastes nothing like actual green tea.

First of all, there aren't enough health benefits to green tea to force yourself to drink it every day. In fact, there may be none at all, other than the residual effects of drinking hot water.

This is also an excellent point that I forgot to bring up.

morningbus

Is there such a thing as a decaf black tea that doesn't suck?

What have you tried so far? I'd second the recommendation of Harney & Son's decaf (as that's what I use). I'd also suggest checking out Upton Tea's decaf. They actually go more in-depth about the process than anyone else. From their catalog:

Our teas are decaffeinated using pure carbon dioxide or ethyl acetate. Both processes remove at least 99.9% of the caffeine and are
approved by the USFDA. The flavored decaffeinated teas are flavored with nature-identical (artificial) flavorings. Note that methylene
chloride is used in some decaffeination processes for teas sold outside of the U.S

All decaffeination processes used for tea are problematic, and remove flavor as well as caffeine. Teas flavored after decaffeination, such
as Earl Grey, will be less compromised, since the added flavoring oils constitute the dominant flavor component. Even these, however,
lack some of the character that tea drinkers appreciate. There is one company that is approaching this problem in a unique way. They
start with grades of tea that would ordinarily be considered too good for the flavor-robbing decaffeination process. They then sort the final
product to eliminate most of the smaller leaf particles that decaffeination produces. Predictably, the result is a superior final product.

Good to keep in mind. I'd also suggest following this advice, too:

Dunno man. You could try getting into rooibos I suppose.

Herbal teas are a good choice because they're naturally caffeine free. Rooibos is an especially good choice as its taste most closely resembles that of black tea. I'd also suggest green rooibos, too.

Cyan

Banned
Thanks, I'll check it out!

What have you tried so far? I'd second the recommendation of Harney & Son's decaf (as that's what I use). I'd also suggest checking out Upton Tea's decaf. They actually go more in-depth about the process than anyone else. From their catalog:

Good to keep in mind. I'd also suggest following this advice, too:

Herbal teas are a good choice because they're naturally caffeine free. Rooibos is an especially good choice as its taste most closely resembles that of black tea. I'd also suggest green rooibos, too.

Cool, thanks. I mostly try decaf versions of whatever regular bagged black teas I like (Tazo or Bigelow or Stash or the Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast, which is surprisingly good for something so cheap), but they're almost universally bad.

Esch

Banned
I've only had bagged Rooibos (not sure if the bagged-is-shyte-compared-to-looseleaf rule applies here) but yeah, I'd say it can have a similar taste to black tea.

I like my theanine and caffeine though
myyqQEs.png

Kadin

I would love to find a way to replace my coffee addiction with tea. I've tried so many various flavors and I simply can't adjust. It probably just comes down to consistency with having it often and becoming accustomed to it but I've had zero luck so far.

The two are just so vastly different. Also would be a great change to replace the hot choc I have during cold winters at night.

I would love to find a way to replace my coffee addiction with tea. I've tried so many various flavors and I simply can't adjust. It probably just comes down to consistency with having it often and becoming accustomed to it but I've had zero luck so far.

The two are just so vastly different. Also would be a great change to replace the hot choc I have during cold winters at night.

Have you tried roasted maté? This is a great place to start.

I just use whatever bagged tea I happen to pickup at my grocery store for while I'm at work. But I just realized the Twinnings Earl Grey I bought is decaf.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

webkatt

How am I getting so many freebies?

1st time I got 16 ounces of Golden Dragon.

2nd time 10 ounces of Golden Dragon.

3rd time 13 ounces of Imperial Green Tea and 13 ounces of Jasmine Silver Needle White Tea.

Starbucks Rewards got me 52 ounces of Teavana Tea so far and I have 6 Rewards left!

I was supposed to get 22 Ounces of Loose Leaf Tea, but somehow I got 58 Total Rewards, possibly more.

P.S. What's the Brew Time for Jasmine Silver Needle(2 min) and Imperial Green Tea(1 min)?

How do you have so many rewards?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom