• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quellex said:
67hdkc8.jpg

YES!!! this game is gonna own me hard.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Label said:
Sounds good to me! We should really get it posted on the community event page though.
As Aegus said we should really get a GMT admin to post some events for euro people ;)

The time quoted on your steam community section is in YOUR local time. It is for me anyway and im +10GMT (AUS). So the only event listed on the community page at the moment is TF2, which states "september 18th: 11:00am" and that is MY local time. Which is tuesday (tomorrow since its currently monday 10pm) at 11am. And it is spot on.

Of course if your looking for euro only events then yea, having a euro only mod might be a good idea. Really depends how many euro gaffer's are on steam though.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
evlcookie said:
Of course if your looking for euro only events then yea, having a euro only mod might be a good idea. Really depends how many euro gaffer's are on steam though.

Yeah this is what I ws getting at as for us euros, that time is around 2~4am in the morning, so would be great if we could get a Euro mod to set up euro events. That is if there is a demand for that indeed.

I am still hoping they decide to release this beta a little bit earlier than stated before. Here goes to hoping!

Kamakazie! said:
My Steam ID for those wanting to join in with some GMT TF2 goodness.

If a GAF night is sorted i'll definitely be on that too :) (yes other than the 2am US one).

Sweet, added I shall join you in some TF2 goodness once it is up!

Akia

Quellex said:
Before, if you shot the cack out of an enemy team member only to have a snipers blast him in the head, you'd get bugger all points despite the fact you dealt the most damage. In TF2, anyone who gets a shot on target gets a point. So if a Scout gets a few shots off, a Pyro brings on the flame and then a Heavy finishes the target off, all three players get a frag.

So awesome.

mrgone

gregor7777 said:
OAN, minus controls of course, does anyone know if those of us getting HL2 for the 360 will get a one-to-one port graphics wise in the original HL2?

You'll get better graphics for the original HL2 as Valve's gone back and improved some of the character models as well as apply newer graphics effects such as HDR lighting to the original campaign

epmode

Has anyone actually seen the HDR in the HL2 port? I get the feeling that there's some confusion here and they're only referring to Episodes 1 and 2.

mrgone said:
You'll get better graphics for the original HL2 as Valve's gone back and improved some of the character models as well as apply newer graphics effects such as HDR lighting to the original campaign

Sweet, wait the original campaign didn't have HDR? I could have sworn I saw and enabled the option for HDR...was it just a placeholder?

mrgone

gregor7777 said:
Sweet, wait the original campaign didn't have HDR? I could have sworn I saw and enabled the option for HDR...was it just a placeholder?

I think the HDR setting is just part of the basic engine options now as Source has evolved, and it'll only make use of HDR if it's been set up properly in the maps. And luckily for 360 players, they've gone back and done just that :)

HDR was added to the source engine after the original hl2 was launched, so its the only one right now that features no HDR as the maps contain no data for it untill they update it.

gregor7777 said:

As said, it is just a Source option that would have to be added to the maps for it to do anything.
It is not just HDR that is getting added, EP2 brings a whole new lighting engine with it. I would expect Valve have made a fair bit of an upgrade to the original. It wouldn't matter either way though as the game still looks amazing by todays standards.

epmode: There has been no confusion. The 360 and PS3 version of the Orange box will use the same engine across the board. That means Ep1 will also have upgraded parts that Ep2 brings new to the table.

Wait, so all the games in OB have HDR except HL2? I thought ep1 did not? And if they went back and added it for HL2 on the 360/PS3, why don't they do it for PC?

akachan ningen said:
Wait, so all the games in OB have HDR except HL2? I thought ep1 did not? And if they went back and added it for HL2 on the 360/PS3, why don't they do it for PC?

HDR was introduced with The Lost Coast. EP1 most certainly has it. What it doesn't have is the rest of the updated Lighting engine that EP2 will introduce.

Valve have said that they are pretty much guaranteed to release the updated content for the PC version but they haven't decided when/how (as in if it will be a forced update, an optional one or a new game DL).

Davidion

Wait, reinforced team dynamics...increased class balance...uber-polished flying frag fest...?

Holy bloody awesome. October can't, CANNOT, come fast enough.

Davidion said:
Wait, reinforced team dynamics...increased class balance...uber-polished flying frag fest...?

Holy bloody awesome. October can't, CANNOT, come fast enough.

or you know... sometime today. It's 3:37pm dammit

Jirotrom

pn18 said:
the halo3 hype is sickening.

darkWilson666 said:
Fuck all you gay ass fucking PC NERDS pc is dead get over it consoles has always been the way to go i usetoo be a pc nerd myself but you know what i got tired of fucking spending money here and there upgrade this and that for ONE FUCKING GAME!!! fuck that...Halo 3 rules and there was nothing like it on the pc so suck my fucking balls haters...quake 3 was awsome after 3 nothing but garbage unreal tournament game of the year edition thats it anything else GARBAGE! poor pc ppl get over it PC IS DEAD just like arcades are DEAD!

I don't want to be apart of this group, I'll stick to the mature hype thats held in TF2.

Jirotrom

BenjaminBirdie said:
There are adults who are super psyched for both.
It was a joke. You know, referring to the large group of Halo players that like to swing all types of racist terms on Xbox live.

Jirotrom said:
I don't want to be apart of this group, I'll stick to the mature hype thats held in TF2.

Heh, i can't believe people really act like that. I have seen it myself but it still boggles my mind as to how idiotic some people can be.

Still you will have elements like this in every game. TFC was always pretty good on the whole but CS has been noticeably infested since beta6 and the Source version is no different.
The 360 community seems to have a bad reputation in general though for any/all online games. I guess there are more kids likely to be playing than a high end PC game due to the cost of entry.

Come on Valve.... what is taking you so long? Release it already!!! It's like 8am your time.... you should be doing it now! :p

Slacker

MrPing1000 said:
or you know... sometime today. It's 3:37pm dammit
Stretch out and wait, you're 8 hours ahead of Valve time, and they mentioned releasing it tonight. Should be about 4:00 AM for you.

saelz8

When they said later in the day, I'm pretty sure they ment "Not at 12AM", not later as in 4 or 5PM PST.

Valve usually does things around noon PST.

Slacker said:
Stretch out and wait, you're 8 hours ahead of Valve time, and they mentioned releasing it tonight. Should be about 4:00 AM for you.

Well it said "Monday" in the press release. Not "Monday PST" so i will be demanding a partial refund if it comes after midnight for us!! :p

Money is really tight right now but I definitely want to pick up the Orange Box if not sooner, then around Christmas. Such a great value for everything you are getting. I would be getting the 360 version. When I get to it.

Jirotrom

Ok guys, I have 9800 XT still, AMD 64 3200 and 1 gig of ram. I can still run HL2 at most of the settings turned on high at 1024. Question, can my pc handle TF2. I will be giving this old rig one more graphics card update later on maybe early next year, but money is tight at the moment. The big issue is that all my friends are buying the 360 version, but mouse and keyboard is a necessity for me when it comes to online play.

Rlan

I'm currently at 92%. Takes a while since I'm in 512 connection :)

When I try to play another game through Steam however, downloading stops. Can I make it NOT stop my downloads? :(

Jirotrom said:
Ok guys, I have 9800 XT still, AMD 64 3200 and 1 gig of ram. I can still run HL2 at most of the settings turned on high at 1024. Question, can my pc handle TF2. I will be giving this old rig one more graphics card update later on maybe early next year, but money is tight at the moment. The big issue is that all my friends are buying the 360 version, but mouse and keyboard is a necessity for me when it comes to online play.

Before I upgraded I was running a 9800 pro withan AMD 3000 XP, 1gig RAM and could run HL2 in with all high settings at 1024. When they released Lost Coast, however, it couldn't handle the HDR, and I also had to disable HDR in DOD:Source. Otherwise, it ran Source engine games really well.

I think you'll be able to run TF2 reasonably well.

Jirotrom

MrCompletely said:
Before I upgraded I was running a 9800 pro withan AMD 3000 XP, 1gig RAM and could run HL2 in with all high settings at 1024. When they released Lost Coast, however, it couldn't handle the HDR, and I also had to disable HDR in DOD:Source. Otherwise, it ran Source engine games really well.

I think you'll be able to run TF2 reasonably well.
Is it too late to pre-order for the beta?

PatzCU

Jirotrom said:

You'll be fine. I would say disable HDR to get your framerate up, but to be honest, does anyone think HDR will even be used in TF2? The art style is so bizarre (awesome), that I have no idea how all their fancy engine tweaks will translate into a cartoon-ish game. But either way, if you put everything at low on your system, it will run great and still look great.

I recently had to switch to 1680x1050 native resolution screen and turn all my graphic settings to low, and it still looks great. Valve has done a great job scaling their games to meet everyone's needs.

With that said, I'm preloaded and ready to go! Can't wait to play tonight!!!!!

I'll setup a Steam id when I get home so I can play with you guys.

EDIT: As far as I know, if you have pre-purchased orange box at any point between now and its release date, you will be admitted to beta. So even if you don't prepurchase until next week, you should be good to go.

saelz8

Jirotrom said:
Is it too late to pre-order for the beta?
No, you can get into the BETA any time, even after it starts. It's not limited or anything, the only condition is pre-ordering the Orange Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom