• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Garou

Bishman said:
I reformatted my main hard drive. Before I did this, I moved all the data and programs I wanted to another hard drive. Now after the main hard drive was reformatted, how do I get my programs to be fully restored.

I copied and pasted them back to my main hard drive, c:/... but the programs do not show up when I click start -> programs ->

It doesn't work like that in Windows.

You should reinstall the programs from their original setup-files/DVDs and then import any data you had before.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok TechGAF I need to call on you now. I've paid it forward many times in the other PC thread so hopefully someone will help me out as I am stumped.

Sunday my pc was powered down. I went to power it up and upon hitting the power button I my fans fired at 100% and the machine would not post. I let the fans continue to run for about 2 minutes still no posting. I had to hold the pwr button on the front for 5 seconds to shut them off.

First thing I thought was maybe there was dog hair or dust in the case. Opened the case looked clean, sprayed air for good measure. Reseated everything that was plugged into the mobo (Sata cables, pwr from psu, video card, pci fan, ram, ect). While the case was opened I decided to power on. Worked beautifully. It posted got to windows everything nice. I decided to shut down again to put the side case on and put it back into place. Well upon powering on again booom just fans, no post.

I can go through the routine of powering on and off until finally it posts and gets to windows. Quite frankly it is a huge pain in the ass as you can imagine. Anyone have any ideas. I think it could really be anything. Which sucks. Here is what I've got in this thing:

Q6600 (oc to 3.0ghz)
4 gig Crucial ram
P5Q pro turbo mobo
Standard DVD burner drive
2 120nm fans
1 80nm fan
Audigy 2 sound card
HD 5850 vid card
750 w OCZ psu

Help me!

Leunam

SundaySounds said:
pc specs? Since you're running from a clean install of windows it's possible that it's a hardware issue. And it's safe to assume you're running a legit copy of COD5? :3 did you have this problem before windows 7?

Thanks for replying. I had the issue whenever I installed the RC and after a new install of 7, and yes, it was a legal copy of CoD5 (Steam). It was, in fact, a hardware issue. I swapped the 8800 GT I had for a spare 9500 GT and the overheating issues we gone. Thanks for the help guys.

ronito

So I come back from vacation, try to boot up my computer and it comes up and after a few seconds it shuts down. It will even do this when I'm in the BIOS setup. What's going on? Help me GAF! Also when I shut it off it I can't power it up for a few minutes.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RbBrdMan said:
Ok TechGAF I need to call on you now. I've paid it forward many times in the other PC thread so hopefully someone will help me out as I am stumped.

Sunday my pc was powered down. I went to power it up and upon hitting the power button I my fans fired at 100% and the machine would not post. I let the fans continue to run for about 2 minutes still no posting. I had to hold the pwr button on the front for 5 seconds to shut them off.

First thing I thought was maybe there was dog hair or dust in the case. Opened the case looked clean, sprayed air for good measure. Reseated everything that was plugged into the mobo (Sata cables, pwr from psu, video card, pci fan, ram, ect). While the case was opened I decided to power on. Worked beautifully. It posted got to windows everything nice. I decided to shut down again to put the side case on and put it back into place. Well upon powering on again booom just fans, no post.

I can go through the routine of powering on and off until finally it posts and gets to windows. Quite frankly it is a huge pain in the ass as you can imagine. Anyone have any ideas. I think it could really be anything. Which sucks. Here is what I've got in this thing:

Q6600 (oc to 3.0ghz)
4 gig Crucial ram
P5Q pro turbo mobo
Standard DVD burner drive
2 120nm fans
1 80nm fan
Audigy 2 sound card
HD 5850 vid card
750 w OCZ psu

Help me!

Try removing every plug-in card, ram etc. and powering the PC on (and off again) until you find what component it is that is giving you trouble.

DietRob

Combichristoffersen said:
Try removing every plug-in card, ram etc. and powering the PC on (and off again) until you find what component it is that is giving you trouble.

I did the basic re-seat everything. But I didn't try the one at a time. Partly because I didn't want to spend the whole day doing that. Looks like my thanksgiving evening is booked now. I'll give it a shot. Good suggestion thank you.

ronito

ronito said:
So I come back from vacation, try to boot up my computer and it comes up and after a few seconds it shuts down. It will even do this when I'm in the BIOS setup. What's going on? Help me GAF! Also when I shut it off it I can't power it up for a few minutes.
Looks like it was the power supply. I just replaced it and it looks like it's ok.

Fixed1979

So I'm having an issue with my GFX card (GTX 295), when it's under load (in game) it will turn itself off. The red light comes on in the back of the card and the monitor will turn off, but the computer itself stays on.

I think it's one of two issues:

1) Overheating - This is my second 295 as the fan on my first one continued to turn off and the computer would shut down. I'm not so sure on this though, is there a good program for measuring the tempurature of the card, I'm assuming Nvidia has something on their website?

2) Not enough power - I'm using a Zalman 600, which is pretty much an OCZ 700. I'm sure I've been running near peak for the supply and I have recently added a CM V10 and I'm guessing that might have put it over it's breaking point. Is there a program to calculate the power consumption?

Ideas?

DietRob

Fixed1979 said:
So I'm having an issue with my GFX card (GTX 295), when it's under load (in game) it will turn itself off. The red light comes on in the back of the card and the monitor will turn off, but the computer itself stays on.

I think it's one of two issues:

1) Overheating - This is my second 295 as the fan on my first one continued to turn off and the computer would shut down. I'm not so sure on this though, is there a good program for measuring the tempurature of the card, I'm assuming Nvidia has something on their website?

2) Not enough power - I'm using a Zalman 600, which is pretty much an OCZ 700. I'm sure I've been running near peak for the supply and I have recently added a CM V10 and I'm guessing that might have put it over it's breaking point. Is there a program to calculate the power consumption?

Ideas?

This is an online power consumption guide http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I use Rivatuner to get temps from the gpu.

DietRob

Fixed1979 said:
This gave me 578, seems pretty low but it doesn't look like I missed anything. I guess I'll test the tempurature tonight. Was really hoping it was the PS and not something else.

Remember it is just a guide if your pushing 578 and have a 600w power supply it seems that you don't have too much room for fluxuation. Maybe buy a can of air and spray out the fans on your vid card. Then go from there.

Alucrid

Banned
So my brother is using a Lenovo laptop and has a problem where if he hits the M or Y key it comes up as "ym" for either of them, his backspace bar is also enter now as well. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Fixed1979

RbBrdMan said:
Remember it is just a guide if your pushing 578 and have a 600w power supply it seems that you don't have too much room for fluxuation. Maybe buy a can of air and spray out the fans on your vid card. Then go from there.

After 2 levels of L4D2 on max it peaked at 85, which apparently isn't out to lunch at all. It also didn't crash like it did after about 1/2 a level yesterday. I really don't want to have to go out and buy a new PS just for testing purposes. =/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hi GAF!

So my sister just got bought Windows 7 to upgrade her Vista SP1 HP Laptop. For some reason though the disc drive (CD/DVD Drive) is not recognized by the PC. This problem just arose now out of nowhere. It is recognized in the Bios and I can change the boot order around but when I go to Device Manager it doesn't even show up there. I put the disc in and Windows does nothing. I go to Computer to run it from there and only my hard drives are there. I've looked online for fixes and have dabbled with the registry editor but that stuff is a little over my head and have followed guides provided by HP. I did a system restore to a few weeks back when it was working for sure and it still isn't being recognized. I really wanna fix it and install Windows 7 for her. I don't want her to have to get it fixed at Geek Squad or anything like that. Help me GAF, you're my only hope!

Thanks a bunch.

Dougald

Tashi0106 said:
Hi GAF!

So my sister just got bought Windows 7 to upgrade her Vista SP1 HP Laptop. For some reason though the disc drive (CD/DVD Drive) is not recognized by the PC. This problem just arose now out of nowhere. It is recognized in the Bios and I can change the boot order around but when I go to Device Manager it doesn't even show up there. I put the disc in and Windows does nothing. I go to Computer to run it from there and only my hard drives are there. I've looked online for fixes and have dabbled with the registry editor but that stuff is a little over my head and have followed guides provided by HP. I did a system restore to a few weeks back when it was working for sure and it still isn't being recognized. I really wanna fix it and install Windows 7 for her. I don't want her to have to get it fixed at Geek Squad or anything like that. Help me GAF, you're my only hope!

Thanks a bunch.

Can't you just boot the computer from the CD drive and install Windows 7 that way if it doesn't work in Vista? It would at least tell you if the drive is busted or not :)

Combichristoffersen

Tashi0106 said:
Hi GAF!

Thanks a bunch.

Could it be that Windows, for some reason, just isn't assigning a drive letter to the disc drive?

Good Evening Tech-Gaf, need some advice....

I've got an Acer Aspire E700 desktop running Vista, 2GB ram, Core 2 Quad Q6600 with one 320gb hard drive split into three partitions - 2 regular and one hidden for OS backup.

The harddrive has been making some pretty grisly clunking and grinding sounds over the last few weeks, sounds like one of the arms is jamming causing the comp to lockup completely then eventually bluescreen :( This usually happens when it's trying to write something to the D: partition where most of my media is stored.

I've run disk checks everytime it's happened and it never normally reports much apart from the occasional bad sector which it fixes so I'm guessing this could be something mechanical with the actual disk itself?

Have been considering replacing the entire drive but although I'm fairly tech savvy, I've never actually opened up a PC before and replaced anything.

What would be involved in replacing the entire hard drive? I'm guessing taking an image, could I store this on a USB drive?

I've got backups of all my media so I'm not too fussed about wiping the data, the OS is the only thing of real concern.

Need some kind of walk-through, help me GAF!!

Combichristoffersen

prettyvacant77 said:
What would be involved in replacing the entire hard drive? I'm guessing taking an image, could I store this on a USB drive?

I've got backups of all my media so I'm not too fussed about wiping the data, the OS is the only thing of real concern.

Need some kind of walk-through, help me GAF!!

Replacing the hard drive is no big issue, you just open the case, loosen the screws that holds the HD in place, pull out the power cable and the SATA (or IDE cable) and remove the HD. Then insert the new HD (after you've checked the eventual jumper to ensure that the HD is set as master or slave, depending on if you've got anything else using the same cable, another HD or an optical drive). Then just boot up the PC with a Windows CD in the optical drive, and reinstall (you might have to change your BIOS settings to make the PC boot from CD first rather than the HD), and from there on it's pretty straightforward.

You can use software for ghosting, i.e. making images of the hard drive partitions and then "copy" the partitions to the new HD, but that's far more of a hassle than what it's worth, unless you have some stuff on your HD that you absolutely can't lose or can't store somewhere else until you've gotten the new HD up and running.

Tashi

Dougald said:
Can't you just boot the computer from the CD drive and install Windows 7 that way if it doesn't work in Vista? It would at least tell you if the drive is busted or not :)

You mean the boot order right? I've tried to put the CD drive first in boot order but it does nothing and continues on not reading the disc inside.

Could it be that Windows, for some reason, just isn't assigning a drive letter to the disc drive?

Yes that's only part of the problem. Any other way I try to get Vista to either run the disc or even recognize that the laptop has a CD/DVD drive, it doesn't respond.

Thanks for the help. Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.

baultista

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
You mean the boot order right? I've tried to put the CD drive first in boot order but it does nothing and continues on not reading the disc inside.

Yes that's only part of the problem. Any other way I try to get Vista to either run the disc or even recognize that the laptop has a CD/DVD drive, it doesn't respond.

Thanks for the help. Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Go into your BIOS and make sure that your CD/DVD drive is being detected by the motherboard.

xrich

Banned
hey guys i need some help with my cpu fan speed. i have an Asus Arctic Square cpu cooler, but cannot seem to get the fan speed down. i have it plugged into my Asus P5Q SE/R cpu fan spot.

now before i got this cooler, i plugged the stock E7400 fan into it, and was able to control the fan temp just fine using the motherboard QFAN technology or something like that. but as far as i can remember, ive never been able to make this cooler go on silent.

using the asus fan xpert program, i can see that at 20%, its only 40RPM less than 100%. what gives? i tried using speedfan but i cannot seem to get it to control my cpu fan. i also have a case fan slot open on my mobo, but its 3pin while my cooler is 4. should i try that?

Tntnnbltn

Does TechSupportGAF include software tech support?

I have a series of X,Y co-ordinates which I want to plot in a similar style to this (hand-plotted)...
2vamdl2.png

I currently have data in Excel as an XY scatter graph, with the datapoints set to squares and the gridlines offset such that they outline the datapoints as shown above. i.e....

The problem is that my full dataset has 2849 datapoints, spanning 108 columns and 350 rows. It's virtually impossible to get the Excel graph the right size so that everything lines up to the exact pixel without gaps/overlaps. Even in the above image you can see that columns have different widths.

Does anyone know of an image editing program (Platform: Windows Vista) that can generate simple geometric shapes from a CSV file (or similar) containing X,Y co-ordinates? That way I could just feed in my data, generate 2849 squares at a various X,Y positions, take the output and just whack on the gridlines myself.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a different way for me to generate my plots?

This is not a help desk request, but more of a story of a struggle with some nasty viruses. My computer was infected with a bunch of 'em, including Anti Virus Pro and Virtumonde. It got so bad that I couldn't boot Windows anymore, not even in Safe mode.

So I made a bootable USB drive, using some obscure utility 'Bart PE' (a stripped down XP). And I tried to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from that. But it requires various visual basic libraries to be installed. So no go. I tried Spybot Search & Destroy, but it didn't work either, because of missing C++ business.

So I ended up adding another hard drive, on which I installed a new OS, so I can finally deal with the other slave drive, and get the damn thing cleaned out. What a friggin ordeal...

perryfarrell said:
This is not a help desk request, but more of a story of a struggle with some nasty viruses. My computer was infected with a bunch of 'em, including Anti Virus Pro and Virtumonde. It got so bad that I couldn't boot Windows anymore, not even in Safe mode.

So I made a bootable USB drive, using some obscure utility 'Bart PE' (a stripped down XP). And I tried to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from that. But it requires various visual basic libraries to be installed. So no go. I tried Spybot Search & Destroy, but it didn't work either, because of missing C++ business.

So I ended up adding another hard drive, on which I installed a new OS, so I can finally deal with the other slave drive, and get the damn thing cleaned out. What a friggin ordeal...

Another option you could do is also download a "Kaspersky rescue disc" iso, burn it, and set your PC to boot to CD/DVD rom first and it would load into it's own mini-OS in which you can scan your entire PC HDD for malware infections without booting into the OS.

xrich

Banned
bahh does anyone know how to make speedfan do what i want???? i know this cpu fan is configurable, but i never could get speedfan to work with my mobo/sensor (W83667HG)

Tashi

Tashi said:
Hi GAF!

Thanks a bunch.

Ok so I may have a work around. Can someone tell me if there are any flaws in my logic? Vista is not reading that the CD/DVD exists but in the bios it's there. I was thinking that I could rip the Windows 7 installation disc from my other PC and put it on an external hard drive. Couldn't I then just run the installation iso from my external hard drive on my sister's laptop? I'm not exactly sure how I would run the .iso of the installation disc once it is on the external hard drive or could I even just put it directly on my Sister's Laptop hard drive? Does anyone get my train of thought here? Am I making sense? Is this possible?

Also, what's this mounting business? Could I "mount" the iso onto the external hard drive and then change the boot order on the pc so that the iso will be read immediately and automatically from the external hard drive?

I'm hoping that I could bypass Vista all together and start Windows 7 fresh and hopefully that will fix the problem with the CD/DVD drive.

I have time, I just don't want my sister to have to pay to get it fixed.

Dougald

Tashi0106 said:
Ok so I may have a work around. Can someone tell me if there are any flaws in my logic? Vista is not reading that the CD/DVD exists but in the bios it's there. I was thinking that I could rip the Windows 7 installation disc from my other PC and put it on an external hard drive. Couldn't I then just run the installation iso from my external hard drive on my sister's laptop? I'm not exactly sure how I would run the .iso of the installation disc once it is on the external hard drive or could I even just put it directly on my Sister's Laptop hard drive? Does anyone get my train of thought here? Am I making sense? Is this possible?

Also, what's this mounting business? Could I "mount" the iso onto the external hard drive and then change the boot order on the pc so that the iso will be read immediately and automatically from the external hard drive?

I'm hoping that I could bypass Vista all together and start Windows 7 fresh and hopefully that will fix the problem with the CD/DVD drive.

I have time, I just don't want my sister to have to pay to get it fixed.

You can install from a USB stick (4gb+) - I do this at work and it's even quicker than the CD - I'm assuming you have access to another machine with a working disc drive

Follow these instructions here: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

I would guess that the CD drive is probably dead, though - but this would at least let you know for sure (and as replacements go its not difficult if it is)

Tashi

Dougald said:
You can install from a USB stick (4gb+) - I do this at work and it's even quicker than the CD - I'm assuming you have access to another machine with a working disc drive

Follow these instructions here: http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

I would guess that the CD drive is probably dead, though - but this would at least let you know for sure (and as replacements go its not difficult if it is)

I don't own one larger than 2gb's. I guess I could go out and get one for pretty cheap but I'd rather do it off my external drive since I already own one.

Thanks for your reply!

Kawaii

Ok GAF i have a problem.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a new hardrive in my laptop but it won't work.

Whenever i try to boot from the disc, I get an error message saying:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usbdrive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and restart your computer.

Info: an unexpected i/o error has occured."

This happens with both my old and new hard drive.

If i put in my old harddrive i can boot Windows vista as normal, it only happens when i try to boot from the disc.

Could it be because of Windows 7 is a 64bit version?
Could it be a faulty disc? I burned the iso myself.

Thanks in advance!

Dougald

Tashi0106 said:
I don't own one larger than 2gb's. I guess I could go out and get one for pretty cheap but I'd rather do it off my external drive since I already own one.

Thanks for your reply!

Nothing stopping you from using your external drive in the same way, but you'll need to format it first so backup anything on there

Dougald

Kawaii said:
Ok GAF i have a problem.

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a new hardrive in my laptop but it won't work.

Whenever i try to boot from the disc, I get an error message saying:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usbdrive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and restart your computer.

Info: an unexpected i/o error has occured."

This happens with both my old and new hard drive.

If i put in my old harddrive i can boot Windows vista as normal, it only happens when i try to boot from the disc.

Could it be because of Windows 7 is a 64bit version?
Could it be a faulty disc? I burned the iso myself.

Thanks in advance!

Have any usb devices plugged in? Unplug if so

Is this a retail/OEM disc, or a burnt ISO from MSDN/Student Deal or the like? If its an iso you could have a corrupt image/burn... try re-burning the disc

Tashi

Dougald said:
Nothing stopping you from using your external drive in the same way, but you'll need to format it first so backup anything on there

lol there's the problem. I have a ton of stuff on there and no real way to back it all up. I just went out to K-Mart and bought me an 8 gb thumb drive. I'm gonna install it now and hope the Windows 7 will recognize the CD-DVD drive. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. I don't think my sister uses it all that much.

Kawaii

Dougald said:

Is this a retail/OEM disc, or a burnt ISO from MSDN/Student Deal or the like? If its an iso you could have a corrupt image/burn... try re-burning the disc
Nothing plugged in, it's an iso from MSDNAA, i'll try burning an other disc.

Thanks for your help!

So my dad just called, saying his 8 year old computer died so he needs to buy a new one.

Since it's an emergency thing, building one or ordering online isnt an option, he just wants to go into best buy and pick one up for less than $500.

Any recommendations? Is there a brand he should avoid, I have no idea which manufacturer is reliable these days.

He just needs a computer for internet, email and streaming video (hulu and espn360)

Dougald

Tashi0106 said:
lol there's the problem. I have a ton of stuff on there and no real way to back it all up. I just went out to K-Mart and bought me an 8 gb thumb drive. I'm gonna install it now and hope the Windows 7 will recognize the CD-DVD drive. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. I don't think my sister uses it all that much.

Good luck, should be a snap if you follow that guide

Kawaii

Dougald said:

Finally installed windows 7 on my third try, with the second disc the installation kept hanging at 60%.

Thanks for your input!

Tashi

Dougald said:
Good luck, should be a snap if you follow that guide

Yup, I got it going. I didn't have to change the boot order at all though. As soon as I plugged in the thumb drive it asked if I wanted to run the installation of Windows 7. I did a fresh install however and the disc drive is still not being recognized. It's not a huge deal though. I was able to follow the same procedure and install the virus protection software as well.

Thanks a lot.

Dougald

Kawaii said:
Finally installed windows 7 on my third try, with the second disc the installation kept hanging at 60%.

Thanks for your input!

No worries, enjoy 7!

Tashi0106 said:
Yup, I got it going. I didn't have to change the boot order at all though. As soon as I plugged in the thumb drive it asked if I wanted to run the installation of Windows 7. I did a fresh install however and the disc drive is still not being recognized. It's not a huge deal though. I was able to follow the same procedure and install the virus protection software as well.

Thanks a lot.

Great, though it does sound like the drive is dead as I feared :( Well, its not too hard to replace if she decides she needs a new one anyway so it could be worse

kagete

Hi, got a new ASUS VH236HL-P monitor and a newish laptop with a 4650 and HDMI.

Using my HDMI to DVI cable, everything is perfect image-wise but I have to use a separate cable for audio.

Using a normal HDMI to HDMI cable, I get the letterboxing that I can fix with the Scaling setting in CCC. My desktop is fine once the scaling is set but when I run a game at 1080p i still get the black borders all around.

I've looked everywhere online and everyone insists that the Scaling should fix things but it's only fixed the desktop for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would prefer one less cable running out from my laptop.

Rubezh

This isn't a computer problem as such, but it's a problem that's pissing me off nonetheless. I bought a Fatality headset about a year ago. Mic stopped working, sound quality got a bit weird, couldn't be bothered to go through the returns process, bought a new one.

But now with the new one, the little volume adjuster clip broke and it's jammed or something so it keeps putting my computer volume to 100. :lol Really quite unusable for anything.

Amazon won't take it back because it's been over 30 days. Creative returns website is asking me for a serial number which I didn't even know existed on their headset products. I threw the box out a while ago.

GAF. HELP ME PLEASE!

My dads computer stopped working.

Turning it on, you see the windows xp logo (loading) but when it gets to where the login screen should be it restarts. It then gives you the black screen with option....

start in safe mode
start in safe mode with networking
start in mode that last worked
start normally

Doesnt matter what you chose, it shows the xp screen and then restarts.

Did the HDD fail?

Dougald

jamesinclair said:
My dads computer stopped working.

Turning it on, you see the windows xp logo (loading) but when it gets to where the login screen should be it restarts. It then gives you the black screen with option....

start in safe mode
start in safe mode with networking
start in mode that last worked
start normally

Doesnt matter what you chose, it shows the xp screen and then restarts.

Did the HDD fail?

Doubt its a hardware problem, though possible

I'd say boot in safe mode and try a system restore, but you said safe mode doesn't work. Try hitting f8 at boot and see if it loads with a command prompt?

To be honest if it were me I'd just reinstall the thing rather than mess about with it for too long

eznark

Banned
Here is my set up:

I have CAT-5 running throughout my house. I have the DSL router in the basement, which is connected to the whole house.

I have my PC connected directly to the DSL router via the wall outlet.

I also have a wireless router connected to the DSL router via the wall outlet. I use it as a wireless router and also as a router for my 360 and PS3 (hardwired into the wireless router).

I use the wireless for my laptops and printer. Because of this set up my PC does not "talk" to any devices going through the wireless router. Is there any way I can make them communicate? I want to be able to stream stuff from my PC to my 360/PS3 and be able to print from my PC.

I know it's confusing. If you can't answer the question perhaps you could clean it up so that I can call the Maximum PC podcast and fit it into a minute.

Kazenone

Really annoying problem I'm having with XP Pro

Installed new nVidia drivers (195.62) and every time I booted up the computer, it would hang for about 90 seconds on the 'Welcome' screen. I check the Event Viewer and it had an error about the DCOM Server Process Launcher service hanging and timing out. So I set its Startup Type to manual, and all was right with the world.

Until I realized that most basic computer functions (Signing into MSN, Installing a program) stopped working. I did some Googlefu and found out that these problems were attributed to the DCOM Server Process not being active. So I manually tried to start it, and I get an error:

Could not start the DCOM Server Process Launcher service
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

I Google'd this and I got a lot of results for needing to run "sfc /scannow" which I tried, but nothing would happen. Back to Google and apparently I had to change a registry entry, which got the sfc /scannow working, but it needed my XP Pro Disc. It goes in, and it still tells me it needs a disc. Searched Google, and tried to: Copy the 'i386' folder to my C:\ drive and edit the Registry to use C:\ as a SourcePath, didn't work. Ripped the disc and mounted to virtual drive (changed the SourcePath again), still no luck -- still asked me for the disc.

I've given up on that route, so now I've tried uninstalling the new nVidia drivers, used Driver Sweeper and installed my previous drivers and DCOM still doesn't start. I've pretty much clicked on every search result on Google and I'm getting nowhere.

Any ideas? Thanks! (I'm not against the idea of reformatting, everything apart from my EA Downloader Games are backed up on my external HDD, I'd just have to re-download them and WoW
patches which is no biggie but if I can
avoid it, then I'd like that option first)

edit: I also do not have any Restore Points.

clav

eznark said:
Here is my set up:

I have CAT-5 running throughout my house. I have the DSL router in the basement, which is connected to the whole house.

I also have a wireless router connected to the DSL router via the wall outlet. I use it as a wireless router and also as a router for my 360 and PS3 (hardwired into the wireless router).

I use the wireless for my laptops and printer. Because of this set up my PC does not "talk" to any devices going through the wireless router. Is there any way I can make them communicate? I want to be able to stream stuff from my PC to my 360/PS3 and be able to print from my PC.

I know it's confusing. If you can't answer the question perhaps you could clean it up so that I can call the Maximum PC podcast and fit it into a minute.
Mmmmm.... it would be much easier had the router and DSL modem been separate.

I don't like all-in-one solutions.

What's your operating system?

Kazenone said:
Really annoying problem I'm having with XP Pro

Installed new nVidia drivers (195.62) and every time I booted up the computer, it would hang for about 90 seconds on the 'Welcome' screen. I check the Event Viewer and it had an error about the DCOM Server Process Launcher service hanging and timing out. So I set its Startup Type to manual, and all was right with the world.

Until I realized that most basic computer functions (Signing into MSN, Installing a program) stopped working. I did some Googlefu and found out that these problems were attributed to the DCOM Server Process not being active. So I manually tried to start it, and I get an error:

I Google'd this and I got a lot of results for needing to run "sfc /scannow" which I tried, but nothing would happen. Back to Google and apparently I had to change a registry entry, which got the sfc /scannow working, but it needed my XP Pro Disc. It goes in, and it still tells me it needs a disc. Searched Google, and tried to: Copy the 'i386' folder to my C:\ drive and edit the Registry to use C:\ as a SourcePath, didn't work. Ripped the disc and mounted to virtual drive (changed the SourcePath again), still no luck -- still asked me for the disc.

I've given up on that route, so now I've tried uninstalling the new nVidia drivers, used Driver Sweeper and installed my previous drivers and DCOM still doesn't start. I've pretty much clicked on every search result on Google and I'm getting nowhere.

Any ideas? Thanks! (I'm not against the idea of reformatting, everything apart from my EA Downloader Games are backed up on my external HDD, I'd just have to re-download them and WoW
patches which is no biggie but if I can
avoid it, then I'd like that option first)

edit: I also do not have any Restore Points.

Upgrade to 7. This bugged me too much about XP. Fast at first and then slows down like mud.

eznark

Banned
claviertekky said:
Mmmmm.... it would be much easier had the router and DSL modem been separate.

I don't like all-in-one solutions.

What's your operating system?

Didn't really have a choice in the matter. I gets what they give me. I'm running Windows 7 on PC and laptop.

Dougald

eznark said:
Here is my set up:

What port on the wireless router is the dsl router plugged in to?

By your description I assume its the internet port - can't you just use the wireless router as a glorified hub/switch by plugging it into one of those ports? It should work then, just disable DHCP on the wireless router, or have it assign addresses in the same subnet as the dsl router

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Tech Support Gaf:

I'm having two issues with my desktop at the moment.

One is that every other moment, my computer "hiccups" and freezes for a split second. It's not a serious issue but rather an annoying one. The thing is, I dunno what's causing it. Bad ram? Poor power supply? Video Card struggling? It is usually more common during graphic intensive programs and when I'm running a lot of processes.

Secondly, this isn't as common but my computer recently made this huge popping noise. At first I was like crap, musta blown something. But I didn't see any smoke coming from the mobo. I'm thinking it was my speakers but my sound seems fine too. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Top Bottom