• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Kazenone

claviertekky said:
Upgrade to 7. This bugged me too much about XP. Fast at first and then slows down like mud.

That's an option too. Waiting for my MSDNAA access to come through so I'll upgrade to 7 then.

Joe

I've lost the Arial font!

Regular Arial is just missing. Everything that should be Arial is now either Arial Bold or Arial Italic.

The only Arial fonts I have are:
Arial Black
Arial Bold
Arial Bold Italic
Arial Italic

I've reinstalled the Arial font package found here:
http://web.nickshanks.com/fonts/microsoft-core-web-fonts

And still nothing.

It's incredibly frustrating and I'm posting here as a last resort. Any help would be appreciated.

eznark

Banned
Dougald said:
What port on the wireless router is the dsl router plugged in to?

By your description I assume its the internet port - can't you just use the wireless router as a glorified hub/switch by plugging it into one of those ports? It should work then, just disable DHCP on the wireless router, or have it assign addresses in the same subnet as the dsl router
Wireless router is plugged into a wall outlet in the living room. DSL modem/router is in the basement.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MOTHERFUCK!

So my ipod touch was restored on my girlfriends computer, a mac, cause it was basically bricked on my computer and wouldn't sync or restore.

So now my Ipod works normally, I can do things on it, but NOW my computer is reading it as unknown device. Sometimes it reads it as Ipod, but shows a picture of a camera.

In my Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is no entry for an ipod when there should be. It shows up as an unknown device and won't let me use the ipod touch driver as the driver for the unknown device.

Also, every time I plug it in, a pop up says "this device could work faster" saying it would work faster in a usb 2.0 port, BUT ALL MY USB PORTS ARE 2.0!!!!

My USB ports say that they're running at 10 or 20% speed. I tried reinstalling the usb firmware but it doesn't change anything. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO USE MY IPOD TOUCH IN SEVERAL MONTHS.

Joe

I'm having serious problems getting 2 Windows 7 computers to join the same Homegroup.

They're both hooked up wireless to the same router. We can see each computer on the Network but when one computer creates a Homegroup the other computer has no option to "Join Homegroup" only to create.

Any suggestions?

Quick question, if I d/l a .rar that has an .exe that is infected with a virus do I actually have to open it for it to infect my system or once I d/l it am I screwed?

I scanned the .rar before extracting and I saw it had a virus so I just used the remove function from my AV software. I'm pretty sure that's I'm good now but just want to confirm.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gaf I have an issue with my internet adapter.

I am running windows 7 x64 the ethernet adapter in question is onboard an Asus p5q pro mobo. It is an Atheros AR8121 PCI-E ethernet controller. I have tried updating the drivers using a USB stick. Downloaded the drivers straight from ASUS website.

My problem is that up boot (randomly) the adapter will pick up 2 networks. One being "Home Internet" (this is the connection it should be) and another "Unidentified Network" that is labeled public.

I have a static IP and a Westell 7500 that is set up in routed bridge mode to accomodate the static IP. Windows 7 is so 'user friendly' that it only allows for suggestions and automated fixes. All I need to do is remove the 'unidentified network' forever and make sure it doesn't pop up again.

I'm pulling an IP from my router. When I log into my router splash page it shows that it's connected and working. I'm posting this from my lappie which is connected to that router wireless so obvious not an internet problem.

What do I do to get rid of that unidentified network. Same problem happened yesterday. After much hair pulling I pulled the power on the cpu to allow the NIC to loose all power. Upon boot it worked. The same trick is not working today.

Last night my Power supply started to make a faint burning smell. I turned it off for the night and blew some compressed air in it this morning, thinking it was just some dust that was burning. But I've been running the computer for an hour or so after that and the smell is back. what should I do?

Drastic

Shalashaska said:
Quick question, if I d/l a .rar that has an .exe that is infected with a virus do I actually have to open it for it to infect my system or once I d/l it am I screwed?

I scanned the .rar before extracting and I saw it had a virus so I just used the remove function from my AV software. I'm pretty sure that's I'm good now but just want to confirm.

You're fine as long as you didn't run it.

Swag

Back again =[

So I was playing WoW today and my monitors went off suddenly ( music stopped as well ), I noticed that my graphics card fan sped up to about 100%. I could tell by the amount of noise it was making, I did a physical shut down and tried to restart my computer. I ran into a problem though, my monitors aren't displaying anything even though my computer is still running and booting up the OS fine. I can tell because it'll play the W7 login sound and my hard drive is definetly booting up the OS just nothing is being displayed on my monitors ( their in sleep mode for some reason despite my computer being turned on ).

So I've come to the conclusion that my graphics card is messed up and not sending any display information to my monitors or something else is going on with the system. Another thing is that my graphics card fan is spinning at 100% whenever I turn my computer on, before it would do this for about 2 seconds then lower itself once the BIOS screen came up. I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and I have to send the card back to manufacturer, hopefully not :/

Edit : I cleaned out pretty much most of the dust that was in my computer ( been a while ), there was a faint burning smell right as my monitors went down the first time which is kinda what prompted my to shut down ASAP. I wasn't running anything too graphical intensive so overheating is out of the question.

I'm using this : http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-436.shtml

This is my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171032

Darklord

Banned
Ok GAF, help me out.

I'm using Vista 64bit and grabbed a few updates last night. Just basic shit, security fixes and stuff. I also got IE8(which sucks). Anyway, ever since the updates my PC has had this insanely annoying problem, it's shrunk some of the text so I can't even read it and I can't seem to change it because most of it is fine and it changed in some weird areas.

On steam:
1z49usx.jpg

On the sidebar the cpu monitor text shrunk(the pink line on the weather icon just showed up too).
2u7qfm9.jpg

It's even harder to read than in those screenshots.

Other text like folder names ect are fine. It's just a few random areas which are effected but I can't read them on this monitor, it's too small and I can't figure out how to make them bigger. If it was everything I'd just increase the DPI but because it isn't, ?I don't know what to do.

Darklord said:
Ok GAF, help me out.

I'm using Vista 64bit and grabbed a few updates last night. Just basic shit, security fixes and stuff. I also got IE8(which sucks). Anyway, ever since the updates my PC has had this insanely annoying problem, it's shrunk some of the text so I can't even read it and I can't seem to change it because most of it is fine and it changed in some weird areas.

On steam:
1z49usx.jpg

On the sidebar the cpu monitor text shrunk(the pink line on the weather icon just showed up too).
2u7qfm9.jpg

It's even harder to read than in those screenshots.

Other text like folder names ect are fine. It's just a few random areas which are effected but I can't read them on this monitor, it's too small and I can't figure out how to make them bigger. If it was everything I'd just increase the DPI but because it isn't, ?I don't know what to do.

2qdpml4.png

Try This.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Darklord said:
I can't even find that....are you using vista or W7?
looks like 7 to me. To get to that screen. Right Click desktop - Personalize - Display (bottom left).

taylor910

Really need some help here...

I downloaded office 2010 beta. Now all my excel files open in 2010.

I NEED them to open in my older excel just by clicking on the file. Please help GAF!!

The only way I can force them to open in the older version is by opening the older version and navigating to the file from there.

(btw I downloaded office 2010 for powerpoint, not for excel. I did not want to use excel 2010)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
taylor910 said:
Really need some help here...

I downloaded office 2010 beta. Now all my excel files open in 2010.

I NEED them to open in my older excel just by clicking on the file. Please help GAF!!

The only way I can force them to open in the older version is by opening the older version and navigating to the file from there.

(btw I downloaded office 2010 for powerpoint, not for excel. I did not want to use excel 2010)

shift right click open with

then specify the program to open the file, if it's not in the list, browse for the exe file.

taylor910

catfish said:
shift right click open with

then specify the program to open the file, if it's not in the list, browse for the exe file.

Did this, but it doesn't work. When I browse and find the .exe, I select it. But it still opens in the new version...

I'm having trouble with the video on my computer. It won't scale correctly if I go over 1280x1024 and it makes it really big where I have to scroll to see the whole screen. I bought a new video card thinking that maybe it was that but it still does it. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling multiple times and have even tried a couple older revisions of the drivers. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I'm on windows xp and the newer video card is a radeon x1650pro.

Jordan

Outlook 2007/2010

We have our own seperate mailbox for each individual user, but we have a group email address that we all use and have it set up on Outlook as another mailbox. With this mailbox we have a calendar that has all of our appointments and things we need to do.

Is there any way of getting this calendars reminders showing up on ours?

Thanks,

Jordan

Ourobolus

Banned
Jordan91 said:
Outlook 2007/2010

We have our own seperate mailbox for each individual user, but we have a group email address that we all use and have it set up on Outlook as another mailbox. With this mailbox we have a calendar that has all of our appointments and things we need to do.

Is there any way of getting this calendars reminders showing up on ours?

Thanks,

Jordan
Go to the group calendar and click "Share My Calendar." Then invite yourselves. On your individual accounts go to your calendar and click "Open a Shared Calendar," and then open the group one.

Chris R

So I already solved this issue I had today, but does anyone know why I'd only be able to format 200MB of a 16GB thumb drive? Using the built in format option as well as the admin disc tools in both Vistax64 and 7 RC did nothing but doing a clean in discpart (lol msdos) did the trick.

Gotta repair my PS3's YLOD problem tomorrow. Question to those (if any) who fixed their console themselves (mine's outta Warranty and according to SCEA website, Canadians only get their console fixed if they are under warranty): What is the failure rate (if any) of fixing it yourself? I've seen a pretty convincing video on youtube (with others following it) that you can easily fix it via thermal greasing and heat gun.

Ourobolus

Banned
Jordan91 said:
That only shows the calendar, not give us the reminders that pop up.
Oh, my fault, I misread your post. As for that, I'm not entirely sure - I don't know if you even can do that. The best hack would be to just invite all of yourselves to those appointments...sorry!

On another note, I had a thread about this, but I didn't realize there was a tech support thread, so I might as well post it here.
==================
I own a Gateway Netbook LT3103u. I recently upgraded from Vista to Win7 and now I've got some weird issues going on with my resolution. The standard resolution I use is 1366x768.

Video card: ATI Radeon X1270
Catalyst Control Center Version: 2009.0929.2222.38284
Catalyst Version: 09.11
Driver Version: 8.593.100.0
Installed Drivers: atiumdag.dll; atiumdva.dll; atitmmxx.dll

The problem I'm having is that whenever I change the desktop size or use an application that doesn't support 1366x768, it doesn't scale to the screen. I just get black bars around everything. This happens even when I resize the desktop (as in, I get black bars around the desktop).

When I had Vista, applications would scale to the screen (I don't mind the stretch). So now when I play games like KOTOR (which I can only scale to 1024x768 in-game) or Baldur's Gate (640x480), I have to play with black bars or freaking squint to see the game.

I don't want to downgrade to Vista if I don't have to, but I can't seem to figure out a fix. I tried some Mobility Modder application to mod the drivers (I tried it the official way first), and that didn't seem to fix it.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

EDIT: The scaling option doesn't appear under Catalyst Control Center...here's what is there.

Code:
-Welcome
-Information Center
     -Graphics Software
     -Graphics Hardware
-Display Options
-Notebook Panel Properties
     -Attributes
     -Avivo Color
     -LCD Overdrive
-3D
     -Standard Settings
     -Anti-Aliasing
     -Adaptive Anti-Aliasing
     -Anistropic Filtering
     -Catalyst AI
     -Mipmap Detail Level
     -All Settings
-Color
-Avivo Video
     -Presets
     -Basic Color
     -Basic Quality
     -Theater Mode
     -All Settings
-PowerPlay

When I try to downgrade the drivers, either the driver doesn't install or CCC doesn't install, and I can't see what the problem is there.

Dougald

Ourobolus : is there any sort of option for graphics scaling in your BIOS? I know Dell have this option on some of their business laptops.. Failing that have you checked the graphics drivers for gpu scaling options of any kind? I'm guessing that you have, but I haven't owned a radeon card for about 5 years so I'm not too familiar with the setup

On an unrelated note, though I normally answer questions I have one of my own. The last couple days whenever I power my desktop on from cold boot all the fans, graphics card, hard drives, cd drives etc start up, but the pc won't POST and there is no display. There is also no power light. If I leave it for a while then unplug/replug it, everything springs into life. I'm guessing the issue is the bios battery, as my machine has a tendency to lose bios settings when unplugged for a few hours occasionally, and the machine is on a surge protector which is normally switched off during the day. It was overclocked but the first time this happened I lost all my settings, however this wasn't a major overclock and had been stable for about 6 months before this.

I'll leave it plugged in tomorrow and see what's what, but I'm guessing my answer is a new BIOS battery.. anyone have any other suggestions in case I'm on the wrong track?

Dougald

Jordan91 said:
That only shows the calendar, not give us the reminders that pop up.

Do you already have the entire mailbox added in Outlook for each user? I guess this might give you the functionality you need, but to be honest I've never tried. I think you can add the mailbox via Tools>Account Options>and editing your account, going to advanced mailbox settings and adding the mailbox

Let me know if this does the trick, otherwise I'll see if I can figure something else out

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So yeah my kitten scratched and messed up my HDTV screen, how do i clean it? (Lots of little cute paws)

Which of these desktop PC video cards is better?

Radeon HD 4850 512MB

vs.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 1024MB

Last year I upgraded the card in my 5-year-old Dell to the Radeon HD 4850. Now I just bought a new Dell i7-860 desktop PC that came with the GeForce GTS240. Can I assume that because the GeForce is newer with 1024 vs. 512MB, it's the better card? Or is there more to it than that?

2.50 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
6 gigs memory
ATI Radeon HD 4850

I downloaded the trail version of Adobe Premiere but my machine bogs down completely trying to run it. Audio works but video staggers. You see 2 frames in 30 seconds. iTunes freezes on my computer, Media player only works occasionally. Windows Media center is slow as shit. After using Photoshop all the fans in my computer start up like a plane taking off. What can I do to fix this? Surely my computer is beefy enought to run Premiere?

baultista

Banned
Lucky Forward said:
Which of these desktop PC video cards is better?

Radeon HD 4850 512MB

vs.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 1024MB

Last year I upgraded the card in my 5-year-old Dell to the Radeon HD 4850. Now I just bought a new Dell i7-860 desktop PC that came with the GeForce GTS240. Can I assume that because the GeForce is newer with 1024 vs. 512MB, it's the better card? Or is there more to it than that?

The 4850 beats the GTS240 by a fair margin. I'd make the switch. 1gb is overkill at that performance range....

Ourobolus said:
When I had Vista, applications would scale to the screen (I don't mind the stretch). So now when I play games like KOTOR (which I can only scale to 1024x768 in-game) or Baldur's Gate (640x480), I have to play with black bars or freaking squint to see the game.

Are you sure there isn't a function key on your laptop's keyboard that handles this? They changed up the Catalyst Control Centre so it's hard for me to navigate now.... but IIRC almost all laptops/netbooks should have this option.

I'm having trouble with the video on my computer. It won't scale correctly if I go over 1280x1024 and it makes it really big where I have to scroll to see the whole screen. I bought a new video card thinking that maybe it was that but it still does it. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling multiple times and have even tried a couple older revisions of the drivers. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I'm on windows xp and the newer video card is a radeon x1650pro.
AFAIK, this happens when you set your resolution above your monitor's max (usually native) resolution

If you know for sure that you monitor supports a higher resolution than this, it may be a goof up in the driver. Use PowerStrip to modify the max resolution.

bill0527

I'm having a big problem with Windows Media Player in Windows 7 Home Premium, and its really starting to piss me off after having to deal with it for almost 2 months now.

I've scoured the net and apparently I'm not the only one.

I upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. I did a clean install.

Ever since I upgraded, Windows Media Player is slow, sometimes unresponsive, and it always gives me a "Server Execution" error.

I can recreate it exactly every time. If I click on a media file, WMP will open it up, albeit a little slow. If I close the file, then try to immediately open up another one, it will time-out and give me a "server execution" error. After I close the error box, I can then normally open any file and it will do it quickly, but if I close it out and try another file.. I get a server execution error again.

I'm curious if anyone from GAF is having this same problem. Googling 'Server Execution' error shows a lot of info out there about it, but I can't find a fix. I've tried the fixes recommended from Microsoft junior techs on their forums, but haven't found an actual Microsoft knowledge base article about it. I'm hoping that its something Microsoft is working on because there's quite a few people who seem to have the problem.

baultista said:
The 4850 beats the GTS240 by a fair margin. I'd make the switch. 1gb is overkill at that performance range....

Cool, thanks.

Another question about my new Dell...during the initial startup of Windows 7 it recommended I setup a password, so I did. Now I have to enter a password everytime I start up my PC which is a PITA since I'm the only one who uses it anyway.

How can I remove or get by that "enter password" screen? I looked in Security Settings but nothing obvious leaped out at me.

*sigh* okay. So I got my new build up and running and it's fucking tits. But my wireless card (Belkin F5D7000) doesn't run on windows 7 64bit. I've tried all the drivers on the belkin site, and I've tried like, a bazillion of W7's pre-installed drivers. all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Jordan

Dougald said:
Do you already have the entire mailbox added in Outlook for each user? I guess this might give you the functionality you need, but to be honest I've never tried. I think you can add the mailbox via Tools>Account Options>and editing your account, going to advanced mailbox settings and adding the mailbox

Let me know if this does the trick, otherwise I'll see if I can figure something else out

Nah we have that already, we use the entire mailbox for Tech Support emails and bookings. We now have a helpdesk system which is quite cool so we're trying to rid the Tech Support mailbox altogether.
Due to working in a school and this calendar being for booking stuff, we've decided to create public folder calendars instead of the actual mailbox.

Jordan

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SundaySounds said:
*sigh* okay. So I got my new build up and running and it's fucking tits. But my wireless card (Belkin F5D7000) doesn't run on windows 7 64bit. I've tried all the drivers on the belkin site, and I've tried like, a bazillion of W7's pre-installed drivers. all to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Are the drivers running and installing? Or failing to install?

bill0527 said:
I'm having a big problem with Windows Media Player in Windows 7 Home Premium, and its really starting to piss me off after having to deal with it for almost 2 months now.

I've scoured the net and apparently I'm not the only one.

I upgraded from Vista 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit. I did a clean install.

Ever since I upgraded, Windows Media Player is slow, sometimes unresponsive, and it always gives me a "Server Execution" error.

I can recreate it exactly every time. If I click on a media file, WMP will open it up, albeit a little slow. If I close the file, then try to immediately open up another one, it will time-out and give me a "server execution" error. After I close the error box, I can then normally open any file and it will do it quickly, but if I close it out and try another file.. I get a server execution error again.

I'm curious if anyone from GAF is having this same problem. Googling 'Server Execution' error shows a lot of info out there about it, but I can't find a fix. I've tried the fixes recommended from Microsoft junior techs on their forums, but haven't found an actual Microsoft knowledge base article about it. I'm hoping that its something Microsoft is working on because there's quite a few people who seem to have the problem.

I've had the exact same error. Not only that but Aero won't work, I can't update my Windows experience because I get video errors, I also get this error that is quite common but nobody has a fix for it.

The Desktop Window Manager has encountered a fatal error (0x8898009b)

cryptic

I just bought an asus m4a79 deluxe and am wondering if I can get a phenom 965 at 125w on that without updating the bios (only have a ps3 for online right now) or if I'll need a mounting kit.Thanks.

xrich

Banned
Hey guys, got a problem. My brother in law has a Dell computer. He just bought a harddrive to add, and he put it in SATA3 or 2. Sata0 has main, and 1 has a dvd drive. He says the manual said to put harddrives in 0/1 but he ignored it. Anyway, as soon as he did that, he booted it and after the XP logo it just stays black and doesnt load.

I checked the BIOS, couldnt find anything wrong. Unplugged it, still doesnt work. Booted it in Safe Mode and it worked. Anybody have any ideas? I also tried plugging it correctly, the drives in 0/1 and the dvddrive in 2. I think its probably a simple solution in the BIOS or something.

Alucrid

Banned
Question: When playing blu-ray movies on my PS3 connected via HDMI to my acer monitor it looks pixelated. Now when I play Xbox or PS3 games through the same connection and set up it looks fine. Anyone know why this is?

Is my graphics card fucked?

Pic: http://i46.tinypic.com/33x79nc.jpg

Basically, I woke up Christmas morning to a desktop screen looking like that. Colors distorted, skewed on screen.

I ran Windows 7 system repair, did a system restore, etc. Eventually, I once saw the Blue Screen of Death that had a message about graphics card driver issue (I think).

Basically, the current state is that I can use the computer fine, but if I start a game like WoW it does what you see in the picture above. And if I don't start the game, the computer will do that after being on a quite a number of hours.

I have had this computer for 3 years and have not had any issues at all.

So, gfx card fucked? New gfx card time?

mAcOdIn

xrich said:
Hey guys, got a problem. My brother in law has a Dell computer. He just bought a harddrive to add, and he put it in SATA3 or 2. Sata0 has main, and 1 has a dvd drive. He says the manual said to put harddrives in 0/1 but he ignored it. Anyway, as soon as he did that, he booted it and after the XP logo it just stays black and doesnt load.

I checked the BIOS, couldnt find anything wrong. Unplugged it, still doesnt work. Booted it in Safe Mode and it worked. Anybody have any ideas? I also tried plugging it correctly, the drives in 0/1 and the dvddrive in 2. I think its probably a simple solution in the BIOS or something.
My Bios lets me choose IDE mode, AHCI mode or Raid mode for both controllers on the motherboard, I wonder if some slots on his are set to IDE, which would require no driver at all and perhaps the other SATA plugs are set to AHCI or Raid which would require drivers for windows to properly see it.

Also, you might want to check the HD priority in the bios.

Might also be something stupid with the formatting. If you can load it in safe mode, maybe format the new hard drive to NTFS there and try again.
cartoon_soldier said:

Basically, I woke up Christmas morning to a desktop screen looking like that. Colors distorted, skewed on screen.

I ran Windows 7 system repair, did a system restore, etc. Eventually, I once saw the Blue Screen of Death that had a message about graphics card driver issue (I think).

Basically, the current state is that I can use the computer fine, but if I start a game like WoW it does what you see in the picture above. And if I don't start the game, the computer will do that after being on a quite a number of hours.

I'd say it's something with the card. Maybe check the fans of the system and video card and see if they need vacuuming, make sure the card's seated properly, and finally, you could risk the warranty on the card by removing the heat sink and fan, getting some thermal paste and reapplying it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
cartoon_soldier said:

1. Whats your card?
2. Do you have the latest drivers?
3. Methinks regardless of the above, that your GPU is dying.

edit: mAcOdin mght be unto something.

Card: GeForce 8800 GT
Dirvers are latest, I just got them from NVidia site yesterday as I also thought that might be an issue.

I will check see if I can clean up the insides.

I'd say it's something with the card. Maybe check the fans of the system and video card and see if they need vacuuming, make sure the card's seated properly, and finally, you could risk the warranty on the card by removing the heat sink and fan, getting some thermal paste and reapplying it.

I don't know how good I will be at taking it part and putting it back together. I am pretty suck at DIY stuff.

I was thinking of picking up the 9800 GT from Best Buy (which wikipedia tells me is same as 8800 GT), put it in and see if it works.

mAcOdIn

cartoon_soldier said:
Card: GeForce 8800 GT
Dirvers are latest, I just got them from NVidia site yesterday as I also thought that might be an issue.

I will check see if I can clean up the insides.

I don't know how good I will be at taking it part and putting it back together. I am pretty suck at DIY stuff.

I was thinking of picking up the 9800 GT from Best Buy (which wikipedia tells me is same as 8800 GT), put it in and see if it works.
It's not the hardest thing in the world but it's also sometimes not easy as sometimes you have to be forceful even though you might break the PCB and shit like that, all depends on how they installed it. There's not much to lose as your symptoms are almost always a failing video card anyways, so if you have the money to replace it outright trying to fix it first isn't a huge risk since if you do fully break it you can just get another one.

But these manufacturers are cheap, a lot of the time there's not enough thermal paste to cover the whole chip or ram(if they're covered).

I'd say the GPU is overheating. Whether it can still operate under what's considered normal clock speeds for the card if you were to redo the HSF is not certain. You could also try downclocking it, or finding a program that sets your video cards fan speed and make it run higher in an attempt to keep it cooler and get some more life out of it, but as a gamer that's probably unacceptable hehe. But Ntune and Rivatuner should be able to set clock speed and fan speed for your card.

But again, before messing with any of that shit make sure all the fans in the case are spinning properly(fans do die), vents are cleared out with any dust, the card is properly seated, external power plugs are firmly inserted, shit like that.

I got the 9800 GT from BB today. Put it in (man it was a bitch to get the older card out, mainly because I had forgotten how to).

Looks like it is working well till now. Started WoW, was able to log in fine.

mAcOdIn

cartoon_soldier said:
I got the 9800 GT from BB today. Put it in (man it was a bitch to get the older card out, mainly because I had forgotten how to).

Looks like it is working well till now. Started WoW, was able to log in fine.
It's good you went that route but you may still want to worry about your pc's cooling solution, the case fans, maybe a PSU with fans and the like.

I mean, I have a Radeon 9700 that still works, some cards are lemons, so to speak, and die before others but really they should last a LONG time. It's possible the airflow in your case attributed to it going earlier than it should have. But, it's also possible that it was a lemon of a card and would have died in anyone's system. Just something to think about and ponder when you get spare time.

They push these newer cards hotter and hotter, in my ideal world they'd have slowed down progress a bit but kept the thermal allowances and power draws the same all this time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Help GAF,

My 3+ year old shitty HP laptop just froze on me hardcore like it hasn't in a long ass time. I had to cut the power and start it up again. I start it up again and I get an error I've never seen before.

MBR Error

Then some lines about Intel

Then it says "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart"

I do it and I get

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart

It keeps happening again and again. I did a quick search for this MBR ish and saw that it's a hard drive error. What can I possibly do to fix this. I really really don't want to lose this laptop. I've got files backed up from a few months ago but anything after will probably be lost which really, really pisses me off.

I've already made the Windows XP installation discs, should I just re-install XP and pray for the best? What are my options?

Love,

Tashi

Bear-tie

Neo Member
I have a 4 month old macbook pro and the hard drive has started to sound like a fan. Its a constant noise from when i start the computer and its really irritating. I tried running disk utility to see if the drive was failing but it seems to be okay. Any ideas on how to make it stop?!

Top Bottom