• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Heel

OK cool

Dynamic metadata is the one thing in there that I really want (although variable refresh is pretty damn cool)

Yeah, that's the one feature where I would be like "come on..." if they didn't add it to the current crop of televisions. From what I understand, it's literally metadata giving the television values to display on a frame-by-frame basis, instead of one set value for the entire piece of media. Unless someone has a better understanding, I'd have to think that's a minuscule amount of additional data being transferred.

The rest of the spec I can understand, as they'd require varying amounts of additional throughput that the television may not be able to handle.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah...I have a 5+ year old plasma that I treat really well, but I was hoping to retire it to the basement this year...
With all these amazing games coming out this year, the wait will be almost unbearable for me lol. God damn, I need hdmi 2.1 in these OLEDS asap!

The Beard

The announcement of HDMI 2.1, and the lack of support this year, means I'm holding onto my VT60 for another year. Having just watched "The Jungle Book" on BluRay, and the final episode of 'The Grand Tour' last night on it, I'm not really upset about this. This TV still looks amazing.

Specs still not being locked down is a concern right now. Also, LG not addressing the near black issues is a disappointment. I'd hate to drop $3K+ and get a set that's lacking some major upcoming standard.

Smokey

The announcement of HDMI 2.1 and the lack of support this year means. I'm holding onto my VT60 for another year. Having just watched "The Jungle Book" on BluRay, and the final episode of 'The Grand Tour' last night on it, I'm not really upset about this. This TV still looks amazing.

Specs still not being locked down is a concern right now. I'd hate to drop $3K+ and get a set that's lacking some major upcoming standard.

Thisssss

Guess it's my shit Samsung 55" and gaming on monitors for at least another year.

NYR

Okay, now that we know that LG's 2017 OLEDs won't support 3D, when would be the best time to buy a C6/E6? How long until best balance between drop in price vs waiting for it to go lower?

I wouldn't wait - Super Bowl weekend is when to expect the next set of sales. They aren't in production anymore and there will be a lot of people like yourself who know realize there isn't much point to pay a premium for a 2017 model and will want a deal on a 2016.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I wouldn't wait - Super Bowl weekend is when to expect the next set of sales. They aren't in production anymore and there will be a lot of people like yourself who know realize there isn't much point to pay a premium for a 2017 model and will want a deal on a 2016.

Are you saying I shouldn't wait longer than Super Bowl weekend, or don't wait until it and buy now?

NYR

Are you saying I shouldn't wait longer than Super Bowl weekend, or don't wait until it and buy now?

I should have said I wouldn't wait too long. Here in Canada, there are TV sales the week leading up to and on Super Bowl weekend. I don't know if the US is the same, but I would assume so. I would wait until the Super Bowl if the US is known for TV sales.

If I was you, I would buy at a place with price protection and if it drops within 30 days, get a price match, especially if you can afford to buy now. I see Best Buy has the 55 and 65 E6 for $500 off right now:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...h-dynamic-range-black/5010000.p?skuId=5010000

With that said, according to this Amazon price tracker, it was an additional $500 cheaper just a week ago:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/LG-Electronics-OLED65E6P-65-Inch-Ultra/product/B019O5F86W

I don't think a 55 E6 will be much cheaper than $2900 US and $3900 for a 65 E6 until x7 series are in stores. Just my opinion. I know they are outgoing models, but I don't see OLED prices crashing just becuase the new models are out. Maybe in the summer time.

Well. Any hope in seeing HDMI 2.1 as an update for 2016 models? Variable refresh rate really was the only thing I was a little worried about when buying.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well. Any hope in seeing HDMI 2.1 as an update for 2016 models? Variable refresh rate really was the only thing I was a little worried about when buying.
We're very very doubtful for the 2017 models...you can just assume it ain't happening for the 2016 models. Sorry. :(

KillGore

So it seems like this year's LG OLED tv's aren't such a big upgrade? Unless they add HDMI 2.1 of course, but 25% brightness? what else? The new sound system sounds cool but most people buying these expensive sets will also get a good surround sound system, or at least a sound bar.

God damn the new W series looks nice. It's so thin.

06_w7_hdr_1223zko2s.jpg

We're very very doubtful for the 2017 models...you can just assume it ain't happening for the 2016 models. Sorry. :(

Eh. Should've known. There was frustratingly little info on variable refresh rate back when I was in the market. Guess it'll be a nice treat whenever I upgrade years later.

Heel

The odds that manufacturers sold hardware in 2016 that would both pass the currently undetermined testing to be certified for the spec in its entirety, then update you to it, seems incredibly slim to me.

At best, I think we'd be hoping they'll allow some partial implementation of some of the low-hanging features like dynamic HDR metadata.

This is all conjecture on my part, but outlook isn't great.

I have no interest in 3D whatsoever and am actually kind of glad that manufacturers are starting to ignore it, but for those interested it sucks that there won't even be one OLED model that supports it.

holygeesus

Banned
The Sony rumor is aggressively priced OLED TVs using LG panels.

They are going to have to be aren't they? I know people pay over the odds willingly for anything with the Sony name on it, but if they manage to improve picture processing et al using LG's panels, which is not a given at this point, they can only add so much over the cost of the B7 surely?

NYR

So it seems like this year's LG OLED tv's aren't such a big upgrade? Unless they add HDMI 2.1 of course, but 25% brightness? what else? The new sound system sounds cool but most people buying these expensive sets will also get a good surround sound system, or at least a sound bar.

1) Now covers 99 percent of DCI color space and 2) the addition of two new HDR "formats" - HLG and Technicolor HDR.

Not much difference, and they likely won't have HDMI 2.1.

spookyfish

I have no interest in 3D whatsoever and am actually kind of glad that manufacturers are starting to ignore it, but for those interested it sucks that there won't even be one OLED model that supports it.

Yeah, I'm pissed. The passive 3D on 4K displays is what the medium always needed. I love my Sony 55", but I wanted to pick up an LG LED or OLED 65" in the next year or so. I don't know what to say/do now.

EDIT: 4K will be adapted by consumers even less than 3D was. I don't understand manufacturers' doubling down on it.

1) Now covers 99 percent of DCI color space and 2) the addition of two new HDR "formats" - HLG and Technicolor HDR.

Not much.

1% over the best TV's which were already at 98, rec2020 progression must be pretty poor also. Really not feeling very jel over the 2017 models so far.

NYR

1% over the best TV's which were already at 98, rec2020 progression must be pretty poor also. Really not feeling very jel over the 2017 models so far.

Bingo. It is a very lame bullet point, but LG doen't have much to brag about with this rollout.

EDIT: 4K will be adapted by consumers even less than 3D was. I don't understand manufacturers' doubling down on it.

I disagree. The fact the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio exist will help greatly adoption of 4K TVs. The PS3 was a big boom for HDTVs.

BumRush

TCL show:

TCL P series Roku TV
  • Three sizes from 50 to 65 inches
  • Contrast Control Zone (local dimming) technology with 72 zones
  • Dolby Vision and HDR10 high dynamic range (HDR)
  • Wide Color Gamut (percentage DCI unspecified)
  • 4K resTtolution
  • Roku TV operating system
  • Remote with voice search, headphone jack for private listening

Full Array Local Dimming for $500 (50")? Not bad for a budget set.

How can this be possible though? Eventually, 4K will become the norm as 480, 720 and (ongoing) 1080P have been. 3D was never (and will never be) the norm.

KillGore

Welp, time to go hunting for a C6, if a deal ever arrives. $1,800 please!

Edit: Unless Sony surprises us with some cheap OLED tvs. Which would be very un-sony of them

NYR

More "info" on LG's OLED line up - you know you're in tough spot marketing the new models when you lead with the design of the TV models and simply repeat stuff:

LG-OLED-TVs.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, I'm pissed. The passive 3D on 4K displays is what the medium always needed. I love my Sony 55", but I wanted to pick up an LG LED or OLED 65" in the next year or so. I don't know what to say/do now.

Huh?
There's far more 4K content than there is 3D already, not even including PC and gaming benefits.

4K will absolutely be the norm.

BumRush

More "info" on LG's OLED line up - you know you're in trouble when you lead with the design of the TV models and simply repeat stuff:

LG-OLED-TVs.jpg

I wouldn't really use the phrase "in trouble" though...they're still going to rightfully sell a ton.

The Beard

My VT60 from 2013 claimed 98% DCI coverage.

Yawn.

Their OLEDs should be significantly cheaper this year though. Having no 3D across the entire line (including panels sold to other manufacturers this year) should lower manufacturing costs quite a bit.

NYR

A ton? LOL

I would love to see sold-in numbers. I doubt they moved a million last year.

This is silly. LG has led the world in OLED development and continues to support it, if they weren't selling, they wouldn't continue the support and the investment required.

I doubt they move millions too, but I am sure they are in the 6 figures and get people who never would have bought an LG to buy into their product line - proof = me.

BumRush

Agreed. Edited my post.

But I agree with you that not mentioning the "issues" people have brought up with 2016 models and really only focusing on a 25% increase in brightness, LG dropped the ball to an extent. Unless the 2017s end up with 2.1 support, there isn't too much of a reason to make 2017 (model year) the year you jump in to OLED.

NYR

More info on the 2017 LG OLEDs:

But all the OLEDs this year have the same screen, still different SoCs so input lag can differ on models.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816702806908243968

Also 1000 nits will be in vivid mode with a very small window, calibrated HDR gets 10% or so more nits than last year.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816702996868272128

Oh, and LG OLEDs this year have no ABL on SDR if you're at 150 nits or less, so they can be reference grade monitors.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816703685430382593

I asked an LG technical person about input lag and game mode. He said that a firmware update for last year's models improved lag time from the 50s of milliseconds to the 30s, which is what to expect in the 2017 models. Also, there is a game mode in HDR as well as SDR; last year, it was available only in SDR mode. In addition, he pointed out that reducing latency costs something in other processing areas, such as dynamic tone mapping, so it's a balancing act.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...61-lg-oled-tvs-ces-2017-a-3.html#post49550169

BumRush

More info on the 2017 LG OLEDs:

But all the OLEDs this year have the same screen, still different SoCs so input lag can differ on models.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816702806908243968

Also 1000 nits will be in vivid mode with a very small window, calibrated HDR gets 10% or so more nits than last year.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816702996868272128

Oh, and LG OLEDs this year have no ABL on SDR if you’re at 150 nits or less, so they can be reference grade monitors.
https://twitter.com/chrisheinonen/status/816703685430382593

Yikes!! 10%??

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, I'm seeing no reason to wait for 2017 LG Oled models.

From the Hisense conference:

"respondents stated HiSense was better than Vizio and statistically equal to Samsung"

Lmao wut ?

3D is dead homes

Time to accept that and move on

NYR

Yikes!! 10%??

Yeah, that is incredibly negligible increase for normal use, I can see why they are using "25% at peak brightness" for marketing, but this is just another reason to run out and grab a LG B6/C6/E6 as soon as you can, the 2017 models really are an incremental improvement.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Currently still using a cheap 2014 1080p Vizio. I was hoping to make the jump to OLED this year (along with 4k and HDR) after skipping last year since all the standards seemed to still be in flux. This year isn't looking much better as far as I can tell.

Not sure if I should just jump in anyways or keep waiting.

Top Bottom