• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Theonik

I'm surprised people still care about 3D. The technology is completely dead and never actually took off in the first place. The sets that have it now don't do it very well either. It's an afterthought at best.

Don't think there's much if any 3D content coming out either and it's not part of UHD specs.

NYR

I want a wallpaper TV already.

So awesome.

Where are the HDMI ports though?!

A base unit - a wire feeds that info up to the TV. In the stage sample they showed, there is a horizontal wall covering bar between the TV and the stand.

1JjwN6o.png

pswii60

I'm surprised people still care about 3D. The technology is completely dead and never actually took off in the first place. The sets that have it now don't do it very well either. It's an afterthought at best.

Don't think there's much if any 3D content coming out either and it's not part of UHD specs.

Seriously? Have you seen 3D on a OLED TV? It's better than the cinema.

http://m.heise.de/newsticker/meldun...R-variable-Bildfrequenz-und-mehr-3583222.html

There it is. German source for now

HDMI 2.1 brings:
Dynamic HDR
8K60
4K120
Higher bandwidth through new 48G cables
Variable refresh rate

Edit:
HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:

Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.

Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.

48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.

eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.

Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.

Wallpaper TV looks cool but not something I'd buy and I am sure with will probably cost the downpayment of a house, meh.

I will be looking at their regular 2017 OLED models or even last year models on sale if anything.

Going to need to see more of their SUHDTV lineup and see what Sony has in store. Also interested in this QLED TV from Samsung. One thing's for sure seem like I'm going to have some good options (hopefully).

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I want it for current and past 3D content due to the below:

Seriously? Have you seen 3D on a OLED TV? It's better than the cinema.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
3D is officially dead.
Really have to scoop up a 2016 model now.

Holy crap at variable refresh sync for HDMI 2.1.
That is awesome.

Where are you seeing GSync support, or are you just speculating? I mean, shit I just bought a 55" 4K Vizio this year but if true I'd upgrade and move the game room tv to the living room.

On the HDMI site, it says "Game Mode Variable Refresh Rate". That's exactly what GSync is. It's not GSync exactly, just the exact same concept in standards form.

Afrikan

for those worried about losing 3D in future sets....there was that one company that sold affordable addon device that turned any HDMI TV, into a 3D one.

I'll look them up, but I would think they have advanced their tech by now.

Heel

HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the upcoming release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of Higher Video Resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, Dynamic HDR, and increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum's Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.

"This new release of the Specification offers a broad range of advanced features for enhancing the consumer entertainment experience, as well as providing robust solutions to the commercial AV sector," said Robert Blanchard of Sony Electronics, president of the HDMI Forum. "This is part of the HDMI Forum's continuing mission to develop specifications for the HDMI eco-system that meet the growing demand for compelling, high-performance and exciting features."

HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:

-Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.

-Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.

-48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.

-eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.

-Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

The new specification will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...n-21-of-the-hdmi-specification-300384117.html

Kaako

Felium Defensor
On the HDMI site, it says "Game Mode Variable Refresh Rate". That's exactly what GSync is. It's not GSync exactly, just the exact same concept in standards form.
Someone needs to make a thread on this ASAP cause this is pretty fucking huge. Everyone needs to know!

DieH@rd

Banned
http://m.heise.de/newsticker/meldun...R-variable-Bildfrequenz-und-mehr-3583222.html

There it is. German source for now

HDMI 2.1 brings:
Dynamic HDR
8K60
4K120
Higher bandwidth through new 48G cables
Variable refresh rate

163.gif

Someone needs to make a thread on this ASAP cause this is pretty fucking huge. Everyone needs to know!

AMD already enabled adaptive sync on current HDMI ports [not many models support it], this now is is just an offical support. I expect that nVidia will continue to ignore it. They like their gsync profits.

the salt is real.

No salt just fact, of course there's gonna be slow advancements with just 1 company behind the panels, someone or LG have to design some that can take the voltage increases, thus much higher luminance.

I wonder if Sony can do any more with those panels? Maybe, err, add a backlight or something..

Maybe they could come up with something, but it all comes down to panel life and IR.

You've not noticed his posts in this thread before? ;)

Lol, you're just ridiculous, the arguments you bring, you can't back up whatsoever.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
AMD already enabled adaptive sync on current HDMI ports [not many models support it], this now is is just an offical support. I expect that nVidia will continue to ignore it. They like their gsync profits.
God damn Nvidia's greed. Just support this stuff already.

x3sphere

More like G-Sync / FreeSync over DP+HDMI for future monitors. Although implementing FreeSync into upcoming console refreshes won't be an issue, I don't really see that happening for such a small userbase - it's kinda useless on a TV (movies run at a fixed refresh rate anyway).

Nah I expect you will see it on many TVs going forward if it's part of the new HDMI 2.1 standard, there's no reason not to add it really, adds basically no cost. FreeSync at least.

I doubt you will see G-Sync on TVs due the custom scalar needed for that, so NV users are probably out of luck. But NV could easily support FS if they wanted to...

televator

I wonder if MS will have the opportunity to apply the new HDMI spec and use adaptive sync in the Scorpio. I'd buy a Scorpio just for that.

No 3D confirmed on any LG TV: https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-b7-series/preview/

I need more info now on the new models before deciding if I just want to go ahead and get an E6.

CNET is also reporting in that same article peak brightness "up to" 1000nits.

The 2016 looked amazing, sounds like the 2017 will be a nice iteration of those, especially with the added brightness and new HDR standard compatibility. I'll be lining up to buy a B7 as soon as it's available.

Top Bottom