• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kambing

For anyone still stuck in the 'waiting game', don't.

With the HDMI 2.1 spec being announced, it is looking very likely that it won't be fully implemented industry wide until 2019. If you buy an OLED from 16/17, or the Sony ZD9/new QLED from samsung, you'll have a display that will carry you well for the next 3 years. These displays already excel at a great number of things. You can already get videophile reference picture quality for less than $2k. The input lag also makes these displays excellent for gaming. 21 ms on the 2017 OLED is pretty insane.

I expect 2019/2020 to be a great time to buy a new display/refresh ones bought last year or this year. HDR format war will be settled and HDMI 2.1 mainstream. LG's newest OLED plant will be pumping out larger sized OLED displays, so anticipating 77+ inch OLEDS to sell for less than $6k. The next gen of consoles will probably launch around these years as well, making use of HDMI 2.1.

The finicky aspect in all of this is receivers...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

With the HDMI 2.1 spec being announced, it is looking very likely that it won't be fully implemented industry wide until 2019. If you buy an OLED from 16/17, or the Sony ZD9/new QLED from samsung, you'll have a display that will carry you well for the next 3 years. These displays already excel at a great number of things. You can already get videophile reference picture quality for less than $2k. The input lag also makes these displays excellent for gaming. 21 ms on the 2017 OLED is pretty insane.

I expect 2019/2020 to be a great time to buy a new display/refresh ones bought last year or this year. HDR format war will be settled and HDMI 2.1 mainstream. LG's newest OLED plant will be pumping out larger sized OLED displays, so anticipating 77+ inch OLEDS to sell for less than $6k. The next gen of consoles will probably launch around these years as well, making use of HDMI 2.1.

Yeah I'm not super worried about HDMI 2.1 for this reason. I would really like to pick up a new TV this year but it depends on my money situation, the offerings and their pricing and whether my old TV holds out though its going on a decade now.

Weevilone

Yeah I'm not super worried about HDMI 2.1 for this reason. I would really like to pick up a new TV this year but it depends on my money situation, the offerings and their pricing and whether my old TV holds out though its going on a decade now.

Not to mention as soon as 2.1 lands on consumer displays, the idiots will already be working on 2.1a, or some new HDCP bullshit that it'll lack. The HDMI thing is just a joke really.

finalflame

I really wanna hear some more specs and price on the Sony OLED. That sit looks gorgeous. Do you guys reckon it'll cost more or less than the 65" Z9D?

HStallion

I really wanna hear some more specs and price on the Sony OLED. That sit looks gorgeous. Do you guys reckon it'll cost more or less than the 65" Z9D?

Well the Z9 series still is there top of the line model so they hopefully won't be that expensive but I'm still expecting under $3K

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want that Sony OLED

I might have to settle for the X940E if the price is out of my range.

So the z9 full array trickling down to the x94, nice. I guess maybe fewer zones but that's good to see

A1E is beautiful. Are they still doing a high end Z10 or similar?

Kyoufu

So the z9 full array trickling down to the x94, nice. I guess maybe fewer zones but that's good to see

A1E is beautiful. Are they still doing a high end Z10 or similar?

It just came out a few months ago so yeah, expect a Z10D or whatever next September.

I think it's great that they're adding Dolby Vision to the Z9D. Well done, Sony.

Dlacy13g

Was watching Sony's announcement for CES 2017 and find it rather amusing that after they left out any kind of UHD player in the PS4 Pro claiming they saw 4k Streaming was the future that today they announced a UHD Blu Ray player coming in April.

finalflame

Probably the same. Like I said before, the Z9D costs OLED money.

I think the same or $500 less ($4999 for 65", $3999 for 55") sounds *about* right.

Well the Z9 series still is there top of the line model so they hopefully won't be that expensive but I'm still expecting under $3K

I dunno about under $3k -- seems pretty cheap for a new OLED. My bet is $3999/4999/8999 (or something else insane for the 77").

Less, because it's positioned in the middle of their lineup.
I hope so! That would be a pleasant surprise. The only thing "above" this would be the Z9D though, right?

Was watching Sony's announcement for CES 2017 and find it rather amusing that after they left out any kind of UHD player in the PS4 Pro claiming they saw 4k Streaming was the future that today they announced a UHD Blu Ray player coming in April.

Not to say I called it, but ... ;)

nYx7cgD.png

HStallion

The reasons why they didn't include it were obvious. It was a cost thing and they didn't want to undercut their own higher end UHD players with the Pro

HStallion

I dunno about under $3k -- seems pretty cheap for a new OLED. My bet is $3999/4999/8999 (or something else insane for the 77").

Oh I forgot to put "not" into that post lol. Yeah I don't think any of Sony's OLED's are going to be under 3 Grand.

AddiF

So, yeah. I like the E7. I could wait for it and then most likely want to wait for the E8 because some new tech. Went to a TV shop that told me they were out of stock on E6s as they are on sale. Next shipment is sold out and the one after that, expected later this month, is almost sold out. Sooo... went to another electronics dealer and got the E6. Why wait just to want to wait more. The E6 is a damn good TV. I'll replace this one anyways some years down the road. The waiting has ended! Soon, unboxing. What should I have in mind and where can I find the best settings?

vpance

Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png

Off angle blacks still bad but off angle colors are good. Still think it has good potential as a stop gap set until the 2.1 sets come out 2-3 years later. I like the idea of 100% DCI color space and 2000 nits.

Kyoufu

To be honest, HLG being a software update for older models was talked about for months. I'm not surprised, but still, pleased. Is Planet Earth 2 the only thing that features it?

Smokey

Can't believe some people are falling for QLED markering. This is LCD all the way, check out these "blacks" in a well lit area. Now I'm going with B6 with no worries about 2017 year being much better.

QLED_zpst58o6z1d.png

FFS

How does Samsung not announce a FALD TV . Garbage company.

molnizzle

Any word on pricing yet of the 2017 OLED line from LG? I don't care one way or the other between a B6 or B7, just want whatever is cheaper.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
FFS

How does Samsung not announce a FALD TV . Garbage company.

Browsing a few in-person reports, some are saying the blacks even off-angle looks better than the 9800, albeit in showroom conditions. Gonna have to wait for proper reviews on all this stuff obviously.

In any case, it wouldn't be surprising if Samsung announce a FALD model down the road...isn't that what they did with the 8 and 9 series last year? Or am I misremembering?

L.O.R.D

https://mspoweruser.com/dell-announces-new-s-series-displays-with-hdr-support/

i am reading this right?
those new monitors are 1080P and support HDR?

At CES 2017, Dell today announced its new S-series display monitors. This new family of monitors comes with ultrathin bezel design (4–sided on S2418HX and S2718HX) to allow users see more and enjoy their content. They also got a great design to complement home décor.

Specs wise, they come with Full HD resolution and support for accurate, consistent colors across a wide viewing angle. They also support rich colors with high contrast, depth and range through HDR (high dynamic range) feature (S2418HX and S2718HX). S2218H and S2318HX comes with 3W integrated high-quality dual speakers while S2418HX and S2718HX comes with 6W speakers.

Smooth gameplay with highly responsive visuals are support through AMD FreeSync technology on S2418HX and S2718HX models.

Pricing and Availability:

Dell 22 Monitor (S2218H) – $199.99
Dell 23 Monitor (S2318HX) – $219.99
Dell 24 InfinityEdge Monitor (S2418HX) – $289.99
Dell 27 InfinityEdge Monitor (S2718HX) – $379.99

tombo85

Debating on getting a Samsung ks8000. Not sure if I should wait for a price drop or get it now using the Samsung employee pricing for 1179.99

Heel

Xiaomi's presser was interesting.

Modular 65" Mi TV 4 for "well under $2000" with included Dolby Atmos soundbar, "well under $1500" for a regular soundbar. Also comes in 55" and 49".

The soundbar includes the motherboard, independent of the panel, so you can upgrade it independently similar to Samsung's Smart Hub. Really liking this trend.

https://youtu.be/b6HjJqA4dxw?t=3530

vpance

Browsing a few in-person reports, some are saying the blacks even off-angle looks better than the 9800, albeit in showroom conditions. Gonna have to wait for proper reviews on all this stuff obviously.

In any case, it wouldn't be surprising if Samsung announce a FALD model down the road...isn't that what they did with the 8 and 9 series last year? Or am I misremembering?

Yes 9 series is FALD and 8 is edge lit.

Reallink

Any word on pricing yet of the 2017 OLED line from LG? I don't care one way or the other between a B6 or B7, just want whatever is cheaper.

MSRP Doesn't matter, they could set at $3999 and it could be $2500 in a couple weeks. Street price is all over the place with these, I wouldn't buy anywhere near launch unless you want to flush a grand or more down the toilet.

molnizzle

What country are you in? I can't see the B7 being cheaper in any scenario. 100x less chance if in the UK.

U.S.

I was just thinking the price of the newer models might be lower than the old ones? I remember when I tracked down my Panasonic ST30 several years late it was a bit more expensive than the newer models.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
https://mspoweruser.com/dell-announces-new-s-series-displays-with-hdr-support/

i am reading this right?
those new monitors are 1080P and support HDR?

Yes, I found this caveat though. Not sure what it means:

1 Dell HDR monitors require HDR10 enabled content from a compatible source like your service provider, a Blu-ray disc or a game. Dell’s HDR feature has been designed with a PC user in mind and supports specifications that are different from existing TV standards for HDR. Please review the specs carefully for further details.

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...32-inch-8k-overall-thinnest-monitors-ces-2017

xinek

After upgrading to a new TV, how are people getting rid of their old ones? I have a 60" Sharp Aquos, so it's really too big to sell on Craigslist or similar -- I don't want people coming to my house to see it.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
So how long after CES until the 2016 OLEDs really start dropping hard in price? If I decide to go with Cleveland Plasma would they give me a 30 day price guarantee, cause who knows what's going to happen between now and the Super Bowl?

The Beard

2018 TVs will have HDMI 2.1 guaranteed.

Don't buy a $3K+ TV now if your plan is to buy a top of the line TV 1 or 2 years from now. Resale values on TVs are typically horrendous.

NYR

So how long after CES until the 2016 OLEDs really start dropping hard in price? If I decide to go with Cleveland Plasma would they give me a 30 day price guarantee, cause who knows what's going to happen between now and the Super Bowl?

I would just buy, especially since you have the price lock - someone posted earlier that their location is already sold out of E6s for the next two shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227724967&postcount=1674

vpance

After upgrading to a new TV, how are people getting rid of their old ones? I have a 60" Sharp Aquos, so it's really too big to sell on Craigslist or similar -- I don't want people coming to my house to see it.

Give away to family, neighbors, or just toss it in the dumpster.

LaneDS

Have wanted OLED for a while, but having bought the Sony KDL-55W900A three years ago I think it's still better to wait another year to see if HDMI 2.1 is added in next year's set (and if prices come down further). Current TV is still, I think, pretty great despite how much I'd like to switch to a 65 inch OLED set.

Theonik

Thinking I'll get an 55XE93 for my bedroom when they start hitting later this year. Sadly space won't allow for a 65 so I need to cope. I might consider the A1E as well if price is reasonable.

Top Bottom