• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

After upgrading to a new TV, how are people getting rid of their old ones? I have a 60" Sharp Aquos, so it's really too big to sell on Craigslist or similar -- I don't want people coming to my house to see it.

Paying it forward. I'm dropping off my 2014 Samsung 55" 4k set to a friend after I get my B6 setup tonight. I honestly don't think whatever I can get for it at this point is worth the hassle of trying to sell it. Especially with display prices recently.... $899 55" KS8000 and $1,799 55" B6. The holiday sales were ridiculous this year for some really amazing sets. I would never think of buying any display used at this point, so I'm going to assume everyone else feels the same to help out a friend with an older/smaller 1080p set.

The Samsung has been really good to me. Almost sad to see it go. Hopefully it gets her by until she can afford an OLED in a year.

vpance

I gave my Kuro plasma to the local charity shop last week. I was amazed they took it but they turned up with a truck and carted it off.

I gave my Kuro to my folks. Yeah I've had charities (or were they salvage operations?) call up before asking for any kind of stuff. And they come by fast, lol

Thinking I'll get an 55XE93 for my bedroom when they start hitting later this year. Sadly space won't allow for a 65 so I need to cope. I might consider the A1E as well if price is reasonable.

Really interested in their new X series this year....will be looking at their 55XE93 as well. What is this Slim Backlight Drive+?

Theonik

Really interested in their new X series this year....will be looking at their 55XE93 as well. What is this Slim Backlight Drive+?
An evolution of last year's slim edgelit system as found in the XD93. Basically they have rows of LED lights in the frame on reflective tubes. The XD93 can achieve about 32 local dimming zones with this setup while remaining slim. The XD94 (and XE) are FALD sets. But they only come in 75" variants. (and is not very slim, and costs about the same as the 65" ZD9, trouble is either set is too big for the wall I want to put it on.)

I never had you pegged as a Sony fan.
Must be the eyes. It is kinda annoying though 55" is the biggest I can get in there so my options are limited. I'm considering (non-LG) OLED, but all of this is provisional to these sets not being shite. Sony also has a huge pricing advantage in my case.

xinek

Paying it forward. I'm dropping off my 2014 Samsung 55" 4k set to a friend after I get my B6 setup tonight. I honestly don't think whatever I can get for it at this point is worth the hassle of trying to sell it. Especially with display prices recently.... $899 55" KS8000 and $1,799 55" B6. The holiday sales were ridiculous this year for some really amazing sets. I would never think of buying any display used at this point, so I'm going to assume everyone else feels the same to help out a friend with an older/smaller 1080p set.

The Samsung has been really good to me. Almost sad to see it go. Hopefully it gets her by until she can afford an OLED in a year.

I feel the same about my Sharp -- it's still really a great tv. I'm guessing I know someone who would be happy to take it. It's too big to use as a bedroom tv or something, otherwise I'd happily keep it.

Also, I hadn't though of a charity; that's a fantastic idea.

dragos495

Have wanted OLED for a while, but having bought the Sony KDL-55W900A three years ago I think it's still better to wait another year to see if HDMI 2.1 is added in next year's set (and if prices come down further). Current TV is still, I think, pretty great despite how much I'd like to switch to a 65 inch OLED set.

i switched to a 65" c6 oled from a 55" w905a and believe me, its nothing short of spectacular. i got it on bf for 2699. couldnt be any more happier. i think its a bit silly to wait THAT long just for hdmi 2.1, especially if you have no use for it. :)

ps: i did some extensive input lag testing on my c6 with the latest .95 firmware. 30ms on the nose in game mode. pretty happy with that!

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I would just buy, especially since you have the price lock - someone posted earlier that their location is already sold out of E6s for the next two shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227724967&postcount=1674

I want to, but Amazon for example is still selling these things for a grand higher than they were during Black Friday. I want to wait until they at least drop back down to those prices before buying, otherwise my last 4ish months of waiting will have been for absolutely nothing, during which I could have been enjoying a new OLED TV.

Kyoufu

lol at the QLED hype. It's just an LCD TV. :p

Sony's Crystal LED however, whew. I would love to see that hit the market.

Just a question that i had always with my tv, i have sony bravia kdl32 when my ps3 or ps4 is plugged in it shows 12 bit when you switch to it on the tv however my wiiu or laptop plugged in via hdmi doesn't say this. what does 12 bit do?

LaneDS

i switched to a 65" c6 oled from a 55" w905a and believe me, its nothing short of spectacular. i got it on bf for 2699. couldnt be any more happier. i think its a bit silly to wait THAT long just for hdmi 2.1, especially if you have no use for it. :)

ps: i did some extensive input lag testing on my c6 with the latest .95 firmware. 30ms on the nose in game mode. pretty happy with that!

Did you sell your previous set, or just move it elsewhere? Like I feel like I haven't owned my set long enough to consider upgrading, but OLED sounds great from all accounts. If they go deep on discounts for the 2016 models, I'll be tempted again.

That said, the difference from the Sony set to the LG was staggering? WAITING IS HARD

LilJoka

B6 or wait for B7 that might have better panel uniformity/scaling/banding/vignenetting or wait even more for HDMI 2.1.

They didn't make this easy. I've waited 8.5 years!

PC gaming could really benefit from 1080p120hz mode.

Yea, I mean. I pulled the trigger on an LCD KS8000 only because of how good a deal it was (55" $729). The next TV I will buy will almost certainly be OLED.

B6 or wait for B7 that might have better panel uniformity/scaling/banding/vignenetting or wait even more for HDMI 2.1.

They didn't make this easy. I've waited 8.5 years!

It's time for Monitors and TV's to converge... I don't understand why there isn't at least a large form factor monitor. I refuse to pay $1200 for some IPS 27" monitor, even if it has 328 dimming zones, 144hz and HDR. The value just isn't there compared to the TV and the PQ doesn't hold up to VA/OLED.

Not hype, but I think it looks good in the video. If it can offer some nice improvements what's the problem?

I'm going to be looking at those, the new Sony ones, and LG sets to see what will offer the best for a good price. Can't wait for more impressions and reviews once they start dropping.

vpance

Not hype, but I think it looks good in the video. If it can offer some nice improvements what's the problem?

I'm going to be looking at those, the new Sony ones, and LG sets to see what will offer the best for a good price. Can't wait for more impressions and reviews once they start dropping.

There is no problem. Everyone already knows the inherent advantages and disadvantages of each panel tech. But you just have to read the thread title to understand the bias 😏

ss_lemonade

Have wanted OLED for a while, but having bought the Sony KDL-55W900A three years ago I think it's still better to wait another year to see if HDMI 2.1 is added in next year's set (and if prices come down further). Current TV is still, I think, pretty great despite how much I'd like to switch to a 65 inch OLED set.

While not an OLED, I recently bought a 65in ks9000 and I find myself using it more now than my 55in w900a. I think it's the size difference, never thought I would appreciate the difference between 55 and 65. That, and 4k HDR on youtube is pretty mindblowing. The difference between that and the same videos played back on my w900a are pretty staggering.

HDR gaming though hasn't been all that different so far. Maybe I'm playing the wrong games (FF 15)?

Aren't there a bunch of TVs already that do this from Sony and Vizio? I do hope a lot more provide >60 hz support

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest question going forward is HDR content.

The more readily available HDR content becomes the more it'll matter on how well each display type can handle HDR.

The Beard

The problem is Samsung calling it a "QLED TV", because it's not. The Q's don't even have anything to do with the LED (backlights) in these sets. They're just LCDs with Quantom dots.

Also, using edge-lit on them is just embarrassing.

ss_lemonade

The problem is Samsung calling it a "QLED TV", because it's not. The Q's don't even have anything to do with the LED (backlights) in these sets. They're just LCDs with Quantom dots.

Also, using edge-lit on them is just embarrassing.

Does that make my ks9000 and sony w900a QLED TVs as well?

ACH1LL3US

Meh. Leave him be, he joined the family today! Welcome to the LG OLED team ACH1LL3US!

YAY!

Although... I had bought their 15 inch oled way back before any of their oled tv's were available and I still have a 55ec9300 sitting around here somewhere :p

LilJoka

While not an OLED, I recently bought a 65in ks9000 and I find myself using it more now than my 55in w900a. I think it's the size difference, never thought I would appreciate the difference between 55 and 65. That, and 4k HDR on youtube is pretty mindblowing. The difference between that and the same videos played back on my w900a are pretty staggering.

HDR gaming though hasn't been all that different so far. Maybe I'm playing the wrong games (FF 15)?

Aren't there a bunch of TVs already that do this from Sony and Vizio? I do hope a lot more provide >60 hz support

I haven't considered anything as an upgrade from a pioneer Kuro till OLED so i wouldn't know. I never was fond of LCD/LED.

thuway

I wish 40 inch models of the OLED displays were available. They'd make excellent monitors. I'm jealous of you OLED guys. I'm waiting for 1000 nits plus OLED displays to with better anti image retention.

I did the same thing recently. Upgraded to a 2016 Vizio P series from an LG set I bought in 2012. You can get a new, much nicer 1080p TV for just a few hundred bucks. Didn't like it was worth the effort to try and sell it for the $50 or so it would be worth so I gave it to a friend whose TV had just broke.

Tech moves too fast and sales happen too often to realistically sell a TV for anywhere near what you paid for it, unless you're going to rip someone off who doesn't know better.

Yjynx

I honestly belive Sony Crsytal LED (CLED) would be the future. And they already have non consumer product out of it.

There is no "QLED" TV yet. Samsung tech are not even revolutionary by anyway or any form. Samsung were not even the first company to implement quantum dot. Sony was the first with its Triluminos display. And if you want to go by that definition then yeah most Sony and LG TV are already QLED TV.

dragos495

Did you sell your previous set, or just move it elsewhere? Like I feel like I haven't owned my set long enough to consider upgrading, but OLED sounds great from all accounts. If they go deep on discounts for the 2016 models, I'll be tempted again.

That said, the difference from the Sony set to the LG was staggering? WAITING IS HARD

i sent the sony back home to my sister in law. she upgraded from a shitty no brand 32" to the pretty good sony 55" :)

YES the difference was staggering. went from a flat to a curve, from 55" to 65". from non hdr to hdr and from shitty backlighting to PERFECT BLACKS oled! :)

bought the xbox one s just for playing uhd hdr movies and after watching mad max, warcraft and life of pi, regular blu ray movies look like oled camera phones recordings...

get some 4k movies on disc and hdr.
also try ratchet and clank and ucharted in hdr. ;)

CLED is impossible to mass produce so it'll never happen.

Isn't it one LED per pixel or something crazy?

Sony shouldn't have ever shown that to the public tbh.

Paragon

No, those displays use quantum dot material on the light guides to turn a blue backlight into pure white light.
This white backlight then goes through regular color filters that block light to create red/green/blue subpixels.
So the red subpixels block green/blue light, green blocks red/blue, and blue blocks red/green.

QLED uses a blue backlight and replaces the color filters with individual sections of quantum dot material.
So the red subpixels transform the blue backlight into red light.
Green subpixels transform the blue backlight into green light.
Blue subpixels transform the blue backlight into the specific blue light they want.

This means that the subpixels are now made of emissive material, which is why the viewing angle is even better than LG's WOLED.
Since quantum dots transform the blue backlight directly into RGB colors, rather than filtering white light to create red/green/blue, it's a much more effective and efficient process - which is why the color volume is so big, and why they are now able to reach 2000 nits brightness.

I don't like Samsung's marketing department calling this "QLED" because it should really be "QDCF", but Samsung did the exact same thing with their LED-backlit LCDs and most people just call them "LED TVs" now.
I'm sure that it's done intentionally to make people think they're using similar technology to OLED.

Hopefully other companies will be able to do the same thing.
If LG are able to switch from a WOLED design to using a blue OLED backlight with quantum dot color filters it would greatly improve color reproduction on them and hopefully also increase efficiency/light output enough to drop the white subpixel altogether. Or they could at least use quantum dots to create a D65 white instead of that cyan-tinted white they have now which puts an ugly color cast on the the image.

CLED is impossible to mass produce so it'll never happen.
Isn't it one LED per pixel or something crazy?
Sony shouldn't have ever shown that to the public tbh.
Isn't there talk of Apple switching to µLED displays in some of their products soon?
It's expensive right now, but Sony are producing CLEDIS displays commercially for video walls.

LeleSocho

Banned
Wait... Triluminos is Sony's marketing term for quantum dots? Always thought it was some color calibration stuff...
It shows how much i followed the TV scene these past few years lol.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I just called Cleveland Plasma, and they told me that they do not have any kind of X number of day price guarantee. That's a huge bummer, because if they did that would have locked me in for a purchase knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about any major drops between now and the Super Bowl. Without that guarantee, it has turned the prospect of buying from them into a potential minefield of buying and then missing out on a cheaper deal between now and one of the biggest sales periods of the year for TVs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I just called Cleveland Plasma, and they told me that they do not have any kind of X number of day price guarantee. That's a huge bummer, because if they did that would have locked me in for a purchase knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about any major drops between now and the Super Bowl. Without that guarantee, it has turned the prospect of buying from them into a potential minefield of buying and then missing out on a cheaper deal between now and one of the biggest sales periods of the year for TVs.

Use a credit card with price protection, like Discover, Citi, or some Chase cards.
I plan to buy from Cleveland and then immediately get a $500 credit from Discover by showing the lower price from Abes of Main or East Coast TVs. Lots of people are doing this.

Geneijin

http://rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6 Sustained 100% Window: 151 cd/m²

EDIT: Looks like rtings have some new image retention tests too.
Objective data showing that image retention happens on OLED.

http://rtings.com/tv/learn/image-retention-burn-in
You've completely misunderstood my statement. LG is finally disabling ABL for SDR content as long as nits or luminance levels are 150 or less. You know the Automatic Brightness Limiter that'll always kick in regardless if a scene is too bright? It's something me and SOLDIER were complaining about extensively in the B/C/E/G6 series of LG OLED HDTVs. That's a huge improvement for better contrast in bright scenes.

You've completely misunderstood my statement. LG is finally disabling ABL for SDR content as long as nits or luminance levels are 150 or less. You know the Automatic Brightness Limiter that'll always kick in regardless if a scene is too bright? It's something me and SOLDIER were complaining about extensively in the B/C/E/G6 series of LG OLED HDTVs. That's a huge improvement for better contrast in bright scenes.

Is that only on the new ones? Or will their 2016 TV's have a firmware update for this?
As someone said earlier that HLG is being patched into their 2016 sets so I'm hoping LG might show the love with this as well.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Use a credit card with price protection, like Discover, Citi, or some Chase cards.
I plan to buy from Cleveland and then immediately get a $500 credit from Discover by showing the lower price from Abes of Main or East Coast TVs. Lots of people are doing this.

If you can point me to some more details about this specific instance, I will buy from Cleveland Plasma TOMORROW, and then call up Citi (I have a Citi Visa card through Costco) when it arrives and get the extra $500 discount. I just need to see some verification that they are in fact honoring sites like East Coast TVs that I can wave in their face if they try to give me a hard time.

Paragon

If it can sustain a peak brightness of 150 nits full-screen, it means there shouldn't be any ABL in effect when your brightness is set to 150 nits or less.
If they changed anything with the new models - which I am doubtful of - this is a software change at best.

And if the ABL was still kicking in when the screen was set below 150 nits, it means that's even more misinformation which was being spread by OLED owners, because many were saying that it did not.
Pioneer did that with their Plasmas. It didn't matter how low you set the contrast, the ABL was based on the source brightness and not the display brightness, so it was always in effect.

Geneijin

If it can sustain a peak brightness of 150 nits full-screen, it means there shouldn't be any ABL in effect when your brightness is set to 150 nits or less.
If they changed anything with the new models - which I am doubtful of - this is a software change at best.

And if the ABL was still kicking in when the screen was set below 150 nits, it means that's even more misinformation which was being spread by OLED owners, because many were saying that it did not.
Pioneer did that with their Plasmas. It didn't matter how low you set the contrast, the ABL was based on the source brightness and not the display brightness, so it was always in effect.
ABL is always in effect in bright scenes. It's a known issue especially for those sensitive to it. Watching a hockey game exposes this greatly. It's why when you professionally calibrate, just like for Plasma, you don't use 100% windows but 20%.

Once calibrated to D65 (yes, HDR shares the same white point as SDR), none of the 2016 OLEDs we've tested in our lab or calibrated for owners in the wild could exceed 750 nits in peak brightness when measured on a 10% window (the smallest window size stipulated by the UHD Alliance for Ultra HD Premium certification). Due to the effects of ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) circuitry, most 2016 OLED TVs can only deliver a light output of around 120 nits when asked to display a full-field white raster, even though we'll be the first to admit that such high APL (Average Picture Level) is extremely rare in real-life material.

Challenges Faced by OLED TV for Accurate HDR Reproduction

Edit: Take for example the sustain brightness measurements when maxing out luminance levels comparing the B6P (OLED) to a KS8000 (LED)

OLED55B6P said:
Peak 2% Window Show Help : 745 cd/m2
Peak 10% Window Show Help : 787 cd/m2
Peak 25% Window Show Help : 504 cd/m2
Peak 50% Window Show Help : 268 cd/m2
Peak 100% Window Show Help : 151 cd/m2
Sustained 2% Window Show Help : 745 cd/m2
Sustained 10% Window Show Help : 787 cd/m2
Sustained 25% Window Show Help : 504 cd/m2
Sustained 50% Window Show Help : 268 cd/m2
Sustained 100% Window Show Help : 151 cd/m2

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

49KS8000 said:
Peak 2% Window Show Help : 1472 cd/m2
Peak 10% Window Show Help : 1431 cd/m2
Peak 25% Window Show Help : 964 cd/m2
Peak 50% Window Show Help : 513 cd/m2
Peak 100% Window Show Help : 509 cd/m2
Sustained 2% Window Show Help : 505 cd/m2
Sustained 10% Window Show Help : 508 cd/m2
Sustained 25% Window Show Help : 509 cd/m2
Sustained 50% Window Show Help : 513 cd/m2
Sustained 100% Window Show Help : 510 cd/m2

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

The dropoff in luminosity on rtings even indicates this from which you linked. I'll also quote this from rtings:

There are big differences between the luminosity capabilities of OLED and LED TVs.

If you try to display a mostly-bright (white, or brightly-colored) image on an OLED TV, you'll likely notice the overall brightness of the TV dips quite a bit. This is a feature called the ‘automatic brightness limiter' at work. In the above table, you can see that while our OLED TV was able to maintain good maximum luminosity while displaying a bright image on up to 25% of the screen, the luminosity drops quite a bit with larger proportions.

With LED TVs in normal circumstances, this isn't an issue. Whether the bright object is very small or takes up the full screen, the maximum luminosity is consistent.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled-vs-led

NYR

^
He's right. Hockey games are odd looking on OLEDs. Really washes everything down. Most jarring content for OLEDs for sure.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If you can point me to some more details about this specific instance, I will buy from Cleveland Plasma TOMORROW, and then call up Citi (I have a Citi Visa card through Costco) when it arrives and get the extra $500 discount. I just need to see some verification that they are in fact honoring sites like East Coast TVs that I can wave in their face if they try to give me a hard time.

Make sure your Citi card does have Price Rewind as a benefit.
https://x.www.citipricerewind.com/

This thread talks about it a lot, but here are some specific posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...-lg-b-c-e-g-series-deals-63.html#post49217769

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...-lg-b-c-e-g-series-deals-63.html#post49125561

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...st49095345.html?highlight=rewind#post49095345

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...st48734625.html?highlight=rewind#post48734625

Geneijin

^
He's right. Hockey games are odd looking on OLEDs. Really washes everything down. Most jarring content for OLEDs for sure.
Yup. Notice what type of demos LG likes running in Best Buy too. They don't because otherwise, you'd easily notice it compared to the LED right next to it.

Top Bottom