• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack in London [up: 6 people killed, ~50 injured, 3 attackers dead]

cromofo

What's stopping them from arresting those 400?

Only a matter of time one of them kills innocent people. Let's hope they know what they're doing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
How many times does that twitter "thread" need to be linked.

Are people that easy to mind control that showing anjem chaudry spouting garbage on TV is enough for them to drive vans into people and start stabbing them?

Maledict

Only a matter of time one of them kills innocent people. Let's hope they know what they're doing.

Arrest 400 people because one of them *may* do something.

Yes, that sounds like a completely rational and sensible policy that won't in any way backfire and will definitely make us safer. /s

cromofo

Yes, that sounds like a completely rational and sensible policy that won't in any way backfire and will definitely make us safer. /s

Extremists. People who fought in the ME and returned.

So irrational. I hope you're joking.

Sinfamy

If those 400 are *known* to have fought in Syria for ISIS, that should be cause for deportation or arrest.
I don't care if you help children with Leukemia in the UK, you don't escape that crime.

Are people that easy to mind control that showing anjem chaudry spouting garbage on TV is enough for them to drive vans into people and start stabbing them?

We have numerous examples of people being influenced by the media they consume.

Bit silly to suggest it doesn't play a significant role.

Maledict

What is it with people constantly shouting deport? When almost all British terrorist attacks in recent years have been carried out by British citizens? Deported to where and how?

And re 400 people fighting for ISIS in Syria, I'd just point out that we've been down this road before with Afghanistan, and it was a complete disaster. Turns out a lot of people who we thought fought in Afghanistan didn't, and we arrested and imprisoned people falsely for long periods of time that led to significant compensation claims and obviously huge amounts of bad press that extremists made work of.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
We have numerous examples of people being influenced by the media they consume.

Bit silly to suggest it doesn't play a significant role.

What percentage of the blame of vehicular homicide and murders via stabbing do you attribute to media consumption.

Is anjem and his ilk shown too much on TV? yes. Is he frequently shown with someone countering / ridiculing his ideas? yes. Do I think him speaking on TV is a significant portion of the blame of anyone doing stuff like this even? no.

Theonik

Lack of evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

We send people to fight wars you know. If people weren't stupid that simply would not be possible.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

A TV "celebrity" is much easily believable even when he spouts extreme opinions. See Trump.

I wonder if this will make it finally sink into future would be murderers.

More than likely, the imams probably put a sign on their own forehead as an enemy. Maybe the next guy will even target them ahead of touristy places where there's likely to be lots of international citizens.

If the dumb fuckers start targeting masjid s or imams then it will galvanise the Muslim uk population like never before to really really weed out all the extremists and only help the fight against terrorism. It's clear too see with all of the reporting of uk muslims outing the would be terrorists, the imams and masjids outing them and exiling them and uk muslims coming out against them, that uk peeps who are Muslim love this country and the freedom it affords them. Many peeps from alll types of Islamic denominations and schools of thought would rally together, despite the deep differences that exist. From the conversations I have had with a fair few colleagues at work and relatives, the older generation might grumble at the some of the more open, liberal leaning aspects of life here, but they love the freedom this country affords to live as a U.K. Muslim, especially the younger peeps.

The article that was linked hints towards that and its reassuring to see so many leaders latch on that they need to at least work together to combat this internal threat.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Went down to where it happened. Really surreal. People paying respects. People visibly upset. Bu not shaken . Everyone is coming together to comfort each other and just in the general spirit. London isn't reeling.
In fact there is a film festival with outside screening going on.

So don't think it is all doom and gloom.

The usually very stoic people of london are actually more open and friendly and outgoing without the aid of alcohol to loosen them up.

This changes nothing. We won't live in fear and we will continue to be us.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So the third attacker was also known. And even more than that, he could have been stopped from entering UK, as he was on a EU-wide suspects list:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40183147

The BBC understands he was not prosecuted but was listed on the Schengen Information System, an EU-wide database which includes details of potential suspects.
When Zaghba entered Britain, staff at passport control should automatically have been alerted by the Schengen system
, BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said.
"One unconfirmed report suggests that did happen, apparently when Zaghba arrived at Stansted Airport in January - but that border staff still let him in," he said.
When asked if this was the case, Work and Pensions Secretary Damien Green, a former Home Office minister, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that if someone's passport comes up on the Schengen system the person should be stopped at the border.
"I obviously don't know what happened in this case," he said.
"It would be wrong to comment on an individual case while there is a very serious continuing police investigation going on."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't worry, we are going to get rid of the human rights act. We don't need more police officers and resources when we can get rid of rights for all people.

Don't forget about the intelligence exchange with EU that will be used as a bargain chip.

What percentage of the blame of vehicular homicide and murders via stabbing do you attribute to media consumption.

Is anjem and his ilk shown too much on TV? yes. Is he frequently shown with someone countering / ridiculing his ideas? yes. Do I think him speaking on TV is a significant portion of the blame of anyone doing stuff like this even? no.

I agree that everyone shares some level of personal responsibility for their actions, but it's never wise to dismiss the effect someone's media consumption can have on their mental health and way of thinking.

That doesn't mean we absolve anyone of their crimes or actions, it just means we're looking at what might have been a contributing factor. Their faith was one, the media they consumed was another, their weak mindedness another and so on.

Carl2291

Footage has leaked of one guy being chased down and stabbed, as well as the police arriving and shooting the terrorists.

Rogan

Banned
I'm still shaking after watching this new footage.

Not sure about the response time and all, but they did damn good job. I have great respect for the emergency services.

Hope the guy survived the attack. Fuck those extremist cowards.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Footage has leaked of one guy being chased down and stabbed, as well as the police arriving and shooting the terrorists.

the cop ghost riding while he takes down the terrorists. He couldn't look more badass if he tried.

but seriously these people are heroes. Absolutely no fear, just charged at them.

Top Bottom