• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazaam

You're insane lol

Still sticking to my opinion. I think Amores Perros is his best film and a really great one as well. I also think with every film after that the quality dropped progressively, to the point where now he's making pure superficial form without content. I see his inspirations, but I don't think he understands them. Maybe the Hollywood embrace did him a disservice as an artist and lost his way. Given the amazing cinema that happens in Mexico, I think to myself maybe it would've been a better environment for him.

I would've preferred if George Miller won as well but the Iñárritu hate here is quite silly. He is extremely talented and The Revenant was an amazing film.

However, Sam Smith winning for that atrocious song was really annoying to watch (and hear).

Damn it, this year I thought I would like the Best Picture winner. I watched the majority of the nominees and would have been ok with either but then they give it to the one movie for which I'll likely never can muster up enough interest to watch it.

Spinluck

So he's a timeless masterpiece who is loved by critics and all who truly appreciate the artform he works in, respected by his peers, but hated by a bunch of angry people who spend all their time on internet forums? :)

That's it, I'm banning you
in my mind.

Think about what you have done here.

Acosta

I just want to give a big "fuck you" to the Academy for denying Stallone a Oscar.

This guy has made more to bring people to the cinema and appreciate movies than most people in the indutsry. And he deserved this award. But no, you had to find a way to kiss Spielberg ass.

Fuck you.

(Happy for Leo).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fantastic article. Truly.

In the video it shows several people not clapping, but they did once she walked up the stage.

Still not seeing an issue.
I see people barely acknowledging a winner was even announced, glaring up and down at this woman as she walks by, and finally reluctantly giving her a courtesy clap.

"Not my movie? Not someone who's otherwise a celebrity? I don't care."

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just was thinking again on Sam Smith's comment on being the first openly gay man winning an Oscar for music but then it came to me that Sir Elton John won for the Lion King lol

MrV4ltor

Just was thinking again on Sam Smith's comment on being the first openly gay man winning an Oscar for music but then it came to me that Sir Elton John won for the Lion King lol

Don't destroy bis little world! Just a few weeks ago he was shocked that racism was still around.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Walt Disney. Search for his academy awards history and go to the beginning. He had like 8 consecutive years.

And Dennis Muren took home Oscars five years in a row. ('81-'85 ceremonies)

Daffy Duck

Dustin Lance Black also threw some shade at Sam Smith as he won Best Original Screenplay in 2009 and then went to accuse Sam Smith of the below:

"if you have no idea who I am, it may be time to stop texting my fiancé."

Ouch.

Johndoey

Banned
Great night overall my Revenant bets were safe, Leo can pass from this world into the next now, Star Wars won nothing, Morricone was finally recognized and Spotlight won.

VAD

Happy for DiCaprio, disappointed Spotlight robbed the Big Short for best movie, Morricone won. Miller or McKay for best director, Inaritu already got his ffs!
The movies I liked all won something so I'm overall pleased.

BowieZ

Banned
And didn't Dustin Lance Black win a while ago, for Milk?

Edit: nvm banned site re: Twitter feud

Speevy

Banned
Wait, I just realized Mexicans have won three years in a row now for Best Directing

2013 Alfonso Cuarón Gravity Won First Mexican and first latino to win Best Director
2014 Alejandro González Iñárritu Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) Won First Mexican to be nominated for Best Director twice.
2015 Alejandro González Iñárritu The Revenant Won First Mexican to be nominated for Best Director three times.

Slay!

They're building a wall of Oscars.

Jb

Yeah Rylance won :)

I'm glad Spotlight got some recognition, I don't know if it's better than Revenant since I haven't seen it yet but it was a really gripping depiction of both a really important case and of journalism as an institution in our democracies.

Nipo

So glad reverent didn't win best picture that would have been almost as bad as crash winning. Still think big short should have won though

Kinyou

I don't think I ever said anything about men being the only people clearly being rude to her. And anyway it doesn't matter, since some people don't see it apparently. It's whatever at this point, she got her award, and she did it her way, and that's all that matters.
The article made that argument

Huffpost said:
Because, like, why should they clap for a woman over the age of 30 who doesn't fit the mold of traditional Hollywood beauty, right? It's hard to imagine these men having the same reaction if Margot Robbie, Brie Larson or Kate Winslet walked by.

DeviantBoi

Seeing James Horner on the In Memoriam felt weird. It's like; he's not suppose to die.

:(

When I see that segment, I always end up going, "Wait, what?! He's dead?!"

I read up on James Horner and then I remembered hearing about it last year.

I always end up getting shocked twice.

Randam

How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?

I just want to give a big "fuck you" to the Academy for denying Stallone a Oscar.

This guy has made more to bring people to the cinema and appreciate movies than most people in the indutsry. And he deserved this award. But no, you had to find a way to kiss Spielberg ass.

Fuck you.

(Happy for Leo).

Lol. Stallone already has an Oscar. And they didn't give an Oscar to Spielberg they gave it to Rylance who was fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom