• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?

They were too busy giving him Razzie nominations for The Thing. No, I'm not joking.

His Days of Heaven score is incredible too.

Jb

There was nothing that I would call acting from Rylance in Bride of Spies. He just put up a sad puppy face the entire time and said his dialog. I don't see where there is actual skill needed to do that.

Yeah you're right he didn't even cry or scream once in the movie.
Subtlety? Fuck that.

I just wanted to drop in to give a shout out to Louis CK for adding some life to the ceremony. His was practically the only segment that didn't feel heavily rehearsed and pandered.

Also loved seeing the difference in the charisma of the comedians as opposed to the actors.

Most of Chris Rock's jokes fell flat though. The one with the kids was horrendously delivered.

Ridley327

They were too busy giving him Razzie nominations for The Thing. No, I'm not joking.

His Days of Heaven score is incredible too.

Man, people go on about Leo, but Morricone has had to deal with DECADES worth of snubs and indignities like the one you mentioned, and he's an undisputed master of his craft. As I said earlier when he won, I felt like crying with the man because you could tell how happy he was, and especially to win for a western.

Blader

Code:

I'm more surprised he wasn't nominated for Cinema Paradiso.

JaggedSac

Mad Max seems to have done well at the Oscars. If someone would have told me Fury Road would win Oscars 8 years ago, I would have called them crazy, lol.

Ex Machina winning Visual Effects over Mad Max and Star Wars is absolutely ridiculous, what the fuck?

Other than that, good awards.

I had it pegged behind those films, but honestly, the film deserved an Oscar, and the effects were fantastic considering the small budget the film had. Way less ridiculous than Miller not winning Best Director when his film sweeps all but one technical category.

Samarqand

Banned
185523307-1b728d82-df68-4c4b-bc94-42499a9c1dce.jpg

Man, people go on about Leo, but Morricone has had to deal with DECADES worth of snubs and indignities like the one you mentioned, and he's an undisputed master of his craft. As I said earlier when he won, I felt like crying with the man because you could tell how happy he was, and especially to win for a western.

Yeah it was so great that he won. I guess they'll wait until Roger Deakins is super old before they let him have what he deserves.

Window

Yeah got me too. So happy for him. He's a legend with or without the Oscar though.

Also, blackbird ...:(

Speaking of Days of Heaven, I had no idea Haskell Wexler passed way. I remember seeing an interview of him at a screening on youtube not too long ago. RIP.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

He could barely talk. Guy is a legend, totally deserved it. And he wasn't even going to make the H8 score.

Yeah you're right he didn't even cry or scream once in the movie.
Subtlety? Fuck that.
There was nothing in his performance that not any other actor could have pulled off. Not that he didn't cry or scream, there was literally not a lick of emotion in his entire performance. I don't understand where the difficulty is in acting like that.

woodchuck

Code:

His westerns were probably considered foreign films

Blader

What's doubly impressive about Morricone winning is that he got a real Oscar after they gave him the Honorary Oscar, which is the Academy's award for "You're so old there's no way you'll ever make it to this stage again, so here's a bone for all the times we snubbed you in the past."

Kyle Buccannn said he talked to a lot of Academy members and just don't like Stallone that much as a person. Like Lauren Becall, Mickey Rourke, and Burt Reynolds before, they'll only get you on that stage if they want to see you up there.

Its amazing cuz Mark Rylance did not give a single fuck, lol. My dude did zero campaigning, attended no parties, no kissing babies.

El Topo

Kyle Buccannn said he talked to a lot of Academy members and just don't like Stallone that much as a person. Like Lauren Becall, Mickey Rourke, and Burt Reynolds before, they'll only get you on that stage if they want to see you up there.

Its amazing cuz Mark Rylance did not give a single fuck, lol. My dude did zero campaigning, attended no parties, no kissing babies.

Also Mark Rylance can be called an actor without having to use quotation marks.

strafer

Leo getting snubbed again would not have been the end of the world, if the Academy is too dumb to realise his talent then fuck em. He's a fantastic actor and doesn't need a golden statue to prove it.

Window

Rylance totally deserved that win.

Sam Smith on the other hand, what in the world? And I say that as someone who likes his work
(with Disclosure)

Kinyou

Didn't even think of that. Just beautiful

Blader

What's bullshit about Sam Smith's win is that that should have been Radiohead's Oscar. :\

Also, Broccoli and Wilson definitely did not need the validation of two Oscars in a row.

Ithil

I just want to give a big "fuck you" to the Academy for denying Stallone a Oscar.

This guy has made more to bring people to the cinema and appreciate movies than most people in the indutsry. And he deserved this award. But no, you had to find a way to kiss Spielberg ass.

Fuck you.

(Happy for Leo).

So Mark Rylance just doesn't deserve to be awarded because Stallone has had a big career? Is that the logic?

Acosta

Lol. Stallone already has an Oscar. And they didn't give an Oscar to Spielberg they gave it to Rylance who was fantastic

Stallone doesn't have any Oscar, this was his third nomination. And in Creed he doesn't have anything to envy to Rylance acting.

So Mark Rylance just doesn't deserve to be awarded because Stallone has had a big career? Is that the logic?

No, Stallone deserved it because he was absolutely great in Creed and it was an Oscar worthy performance. And let's not act like the Academy doesn't give prizes based on careers.

strafer

So this is pretty cool, Alicia Vikander is only the second swedish actress to win an oscar.

She and Ingrid Bergman and that was 1975.

Reflecting after a sleep, I have two things in mind about last night:

-Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" was a terrible, ridiculous and patronizing song to play over the end credits. I cringed HARD

-Leo seemed like he was on sedatives and gave a pretty boring speech. Thank your fans, thank the internet, thank memes, shout, smile...do SOMETHING

strafer

Reflecting after a sleep, I have two things in mind about last night:

-Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" was a terrible, ridiculous and patronizing song to play over the end credits. I cringed HARD

-Leo seemed like he was on sedatives and gave a pretty boring speech. Thank your fans, thank the internet, thank memes, shout, smile...do SOMETHING

I doubt Leo is aware of the memes.

Is there a place I can place a bet for Birth of a Nation winning Best Picture next year?

2017 super early nominee predictions:

-Silence(Scorsese)
-The Light Between Oceans(Cianfrance, Fassbender, Vikander, Weisz, Akrapaw, Desplat)
-that 4D 120 FPS Ang Lee movie
-The Founder which is about the dude who created McDonalds, directed by the man who makes safe Oscar bait like The Blind Side and Saving Mr. Banks, starring Michael Keaton who's seems to be a good bet for Oscar BPs right now
-Loving, Jeff Nichols drama about the interractial marriage of Mildred and Richard Loving. Easy way for for them to avoid another #OscarSoWhite with Ruth Negga in this one
-Birth of a Nation, like Loving, but also this movie's actually been seen and inspires a lot of passion/won the Sundance equivalent of Best Picture.
-Sully, Eastwood-directed biopic starring heroic airline pilot played by Tom fuckin' Hanks
-Manchester By the Sea, the most critically acclaimed film from Sundance, hope Amazon doesn't fuck up the distribution with some online only Beasts of No Nation type shit
-Untitled WW2 romantic thriller starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard from Robert Zemeckis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom