• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodust

Banned
I want Eddie Redmayne to be the new Sean Penn. As in he wins two best actor awards for movies nobody gives a shit about.

TheMan

does leo actually have a chance at winning? i mean obviously he has some chance as he's nominated, but do people actually think things will go his way this time?

Looking through who I'll be pulling for, the supporting actor categories have become such a fucking mess. Rooney Mara was incredible in Carol but considering her a supporting actress is ridiculous, I can't support someone who has been so obviously miscategorized. They need to switch to best actor and best ensemble and be done with it.

So in the end, Larson and Stallone are the only two noms I'm invested in, otherwise it's kind of a dull year.

Fbh

I think I'll skip them this year.

I've allways found the show itself kinda enjoyable but the ammount of ads is just ridiculous.
They really have to find another way to get their ad money. I'd rather have Brad Pitt comming on stage to present an award in a Pepsi shirt than having a comercial break every 5 minutes

Do they still do the opening montage where they somehow try to blend the Best Movies into one skit?
I never found it funny and that was years ago when Billy Crystal hosted the awards.

Floridian

Nah, that's just OP fucking up.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees/visual-effects

Ex Machina – Mark Williams Ardington, Sara Bennett, Paul Norris, and Andrew Whitehurst
Mad Max: Fury Road – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood
The Martian – Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence, Richard Stammers, and Steven Warner
The Revenant – Richard McBride, Matt Shumway, Jason Smith, and Cameron Waldbauer
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Chris Corbould, Roger Guyett, Paul Kavanagh, and Neal Scanlan

Yea I fixed it now, was late and forgot about Max~

I'm not sure how it is outside of SoCal, but I hate the news stations post Academy Awards.
They spend so much time discussing the awards. They then spend WAY too much time discussing what the actors were wearing. They then discuss the post-Academy parties which consist of a reporter, overdressed, outside of some club with loud music blaring. You never see a celebrity going in or out.
It's all stupid and not news worthy.

Not to sound like a Negative Nancy, but I hope Stallone gets the award. If Leo wins, I'd be ok with it.

xandaca

It's weird how much I'm hoping for DiCaprio not to win. In part it's because his supposed desperation to win an Oscar is hilarious, but also because his actual performance in Revenant is good, but nothing exceptional once you take the physical exertions out of it. You shouldn't get awards just for effort - otherwise Johnny Knoxville should be swimming in the things - and Tom Hardy gives the movie's greatest performance by a long way.

My predictions: Fury Road wins everything, like it deserves

Best Picture: Its not an accident this film has ran the board on all the critic top films of the year list. Its a cinematic masterpiece, plain and simple, and with the absence of Carol in the line-up, its miles ahead of the competitoin.

Best Director: You wanna talk about hard to make movies, lets talk about Fury Road. George Miller has been trying to get this movie made for 15 fuckin' years. They filmed thousands of hours of footage in the crazy hot desert, mobilizing and choreographing hundreds of vehicles and people, molding the performances, the dialog, the world design, storyboarding every scene. How could anyone not pick George Miller at the ripe age of 70 for his magnum opus?

Best Actor: Because fuck The Revenant

Best Actress: Charlize Thereon gives such a physical, lived-in performance, but so much of it happens in her eyes. THe way she looks away when Max denies her invite, the way she looks at those girls after the truck's been stolen, the look as she tries to do the signing of her clan, as if remembering an old friend.

Best Sup. Actor: if Theron is the real protagonist, Nux is the heart and soul fo the movie, the one with the most uplifting character arc, who transforms cultist enthusiasm into righteous, romantic fury.

Best Sup. Actress: Abby Lee for her delivery of "Schlanger"

Best Adapted Screenplay: This movie is underrated in this department. Not just for its muscular economy of storytelling, but how instantly iconic many of its lines of dialog already are. The Warboys in particular give us a sense of a culture and a world that existed well before the cameras rolled.

Best Ori. Screenplay: Even though its a sequel to an old 80s franchise, its the most strikingly original thing released all year. Isn't that what this award is for?

Best Cinematography: Because nobody needs 3 consecutive Oscars, and John Seale, coming out of retirement, does fantastic work on Fury Road. The things they did with teal and orange like nobody ever thought to use that combination.

Best Animated Feature: It certainly has the spirit and visual ingenuity of an animated feature!

Best Documentary:
The world of Fury Road feels so weird, yet so fully-realized, that you could probably confuse it for a documentary of an actual place.

Best Film Editing: C'mon, this is a shoo-in. Margaret Sixel took 4500 hours of footage and created the kind of action movie that will be taught in film schools for decades. The sense of choreography, continuity, coherence, its unbelievable. If she doesn't get this, the Academy is filled with fuckin' blind fools.

Best Original Song: "Brothers in Arms" is an original song, made exclusively for Fury Road, and it never fails to get me hype.

Best Original Score: Junkie XL's contribution to Fury Road is like the greatest Hans Zimmer score he never/couldn't do.

Best Costume design: LOOK AT THE COSTUMES

Best Make-Up and Hairstyling: Immortan Joe alone should take this shit.

Best Production Design: Did you see the Citadel?

Sound Editing:
Fuck the Revenant

Sound Mixing:
^

Visual Effects: No other movie this year so deftly combined CG with good ol' fashioned stuntwork than Fury Road

Best Short Film, Live Action: The intro to Fury Road is a story in itself. Capture, escape, recapture. This is the world of Mad Max Fury Road.

Best Short film, Animated: I mean, ditto

Best Documentary, short subject:
Again, the intro, this place really exists

Best Foreign Film: In other countries, Fury Road is translated into foreign languages, so that counts. Plus, it looks like it came from another world, and it was made in Australia, really. What else do you need?

cebri.one

My own awards. LOL.

Best Picture
"The Big Short"
"Bridge of Spies"
"Brooklyn"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Room"
"Spotlight"

Best Director
Adam McKay, "The Big Short"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"
Lenny Abrahamson, "Room"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo"
Matt Damon, "The Martian"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl"

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Carol"
Brie Larson, "Room"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling, "45 Years"
Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, "The Big Short"
Tom Hardy, "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo, "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance, "Bridge of Spies"
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara, "Carol"
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"

BumRush

It's weird how much I'm hoping for DiCaprio not to win. In part it's because his supposed desperation to win an Oscar is hilarious, but also because his actual performance in Revenant is good, but nothing exceptional once you take the physical exertions out of it. You shouldn't get awards just for effort - otherwise Johnny Knoxville should be swimming in the things - and Tom Hardy gives the movie's greatest performance by a long way.

It's definitely not Leo's best (Gilbert or wolf) but it's better than "good".

Ridley327

I have already accepted The Revenant winning in the categories it doesn't deserve to (including cinematography, COME AT ME), so this is really more about rooting for Don Hertzfeldt to win for World of Tomorrow, who actually has a better than OK chance of taking it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I think I'll skip them this year.

I've allways found the show itself kinda enjoyable but the ammount of ads is just ridiculous.
They really have to find another way to get their ad money. I'd rather have Brad Pitt comming on stage to present an award in a Pepsi shirt than having a comercial break every 5 minutes

This may be the first time in a long time that I'll skip the Oscars as well.

kmax

tumblr_n1uw0b8rpV1tq0iuuo1_400.gif

hearts will be broken

woen

Is there a way to watch it online ? I don't usually watch it when it is night here, but I'm in a timezone when it'll be morning so why not.

Wasn't Revenant just an okay film?

Opinions are very polarized from what I read. I personally loved how everything came together to create an engaging experience. If you don't feel that, yeah, you could think this is just great technicians brought together in a very difficult shooting situation but with a lack or artistic direction.

Hope Lubezki is going to get his 3rd consecutive cinematography Oscar for his work, can't get rid of these wide angles shots. But Mad Max could get it, fantastic work here too — but it should have been graded in black and white.

jett

D-Member
The locks:
Leo
Brie Larson
Morricone
Inside Out

The semi-locks
Lubezki
Iñarritú
Stallone
Spotlight (original screenplay)
The Big Short (adapted screenplay)

The rest is up for grabs I guess. Either The Revenant or Mad Max will sweep the technical stuff. Probably The Revenant.

The third in a series of brutally honest Oscar ballots.

This person hates the preferential voting system for Best Picture and complains about category fraud? And they actually watched pretty much everything?! Is this real life?!?

Another heroic voter, seeing through the fraudulence of The Revenant, voting for The Look of Silence and the Embrace of the Serpent, capping for Ben Mendolsohn and Diary of a Teenage Girl, backing Rampling and Ex Machina's visual effects, and voting for George Miller and Magaret Sixel.

If only all 6000 of the voters were like this person

Aurongel

It's a pretty weak year for acting overall so I do think Leo's got it locked. Then he can join the pantheon of long time Oscar nominees who finally got a long awaited award but for the wrong film.

But who cares, Lubezki winning THREE YEARS IN A ROW is what excites me most.

Blobbers

Honestly I liked Matt Damon more than Leo. He's better at portraying emotion and his fit of rage in the buggy was more sincere than an entire movie of Leo moaning, breathing heavily, showing us his disgusting spit bubbles and showcasing a bad accent for the millionth time.

As Mike and Jay said, Lep has wool over everyone's eyes for some reason that he's a really good dramatic actor.

Honestly I liked Matt Damon more than Leo. He's better at portraying emotion and his fit of rage in the buggy was more sincere than an entire movie of Leo moaning, breathing heavily, showing us his disgusting spit bubbles and showcasing a bad accent for the millionth time.

As Mike and Jay said, Lep has wool over everyone's eyes for some reason that he's a really good dramatic actor.

Or...maybe...people and critics are liking Leo's role better...

NOOO THAT CANT BE IT IT'S LEO FOOLING EVERYONE!!!

jett

D-Member

But Leo's a pretty great actor.

He just wasn't given much (or anything) to do in The Revenant.

An-Det

I've been looking forward to finally seeing what wins. I've seen all the BP films except Brooklyn (which I'm seeing this afternoon), so I'm nearly ready. Super curious to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom