• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Acolyte premieres June 4th on Disney+

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Well we hosted a dinner for old friends from college who swept into town. I passed out at like 7:30 PM after smoking some of their Canadian bud. So here I am up in the middle of the night watching Disney+.

This was a very by the numbers Star Wars episode. It had much stronger writing than the previous episodes in my opinion. More natural dialog, steadier pacing, a cutesy little alien sidekick who interacts with the cutesy new droid, clearly defined first, second, and final acts - etc. Unfortunately it ended with a clumsy mystery box style cliffhanger. Sigh. Two steps forward, one step back and all.

I am now 99.99% sure that my theory of who the Big Bad is, that I developed after watching the first episode, is correct. It has been telegraphed rather heavily, so I'm not exactly being Sherlock Holmes here.

Or he is his twin

Now we just need to be shown how he fits into all of this. My wildest theory is that he is the son of one of these Jedi and one of those witches.

I read up on the lore of the Witches of Dathomir. They mated with the resident Zabrak males, and they gave their male children to some kind of order that served them like slaves. This is where Darth Maul came from. Well, the witches in this show seem to be some kind of offshoot from the Dathomir witches IMO. So I wonder if this apparent Sith or dark Jedi was born to these witches but then cast off because he was male. And for reasons yet unknown partially blames the Jedi while also harboring resentment towards the witches. Could it have been him who was responsible for the carnage we saw in episode 3 all those years ago?

Just more fan theory stuff from me. Anyways, strong episode aside from the final seconds. Solid 4/5. Though something still seems off as far as Star Wars shows go. Maybe it's the score and/or the cinematography. It just doesn't seem to be coming together in the same way shows like The Mandalorian or Ahsoka did.

Edit: I like Yord. He seems like what Anakin could have been if he wasn't recruited too late and was all evil and what not

Last edited:

pel1300

lol this has to be intentional.

Let me guess what is being said in defense of this:

"But there's precedent for characters contradicting each other....Obi-Wan told Luke in ANH that Darth Vader murdered his father"

or

"But ret conning has always been a thing in Star Wars! Darth Vader wasn't supposed to be Luke's father until ESB, and Leia was supposed to be a potential love interest for Luke, not his sister, until ROTJ! George Lucas always retconned stuff!"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

"But there's precedent for characters contradicting each other....Obi-Wan told Luke in ANH that Darth Vader murdered his father"

or

"But ret conning has always been a thing in Star Wars! Darth Vader wasn't supposed to be Luke's father until ESB, and Leia was supposed to be a potential love interest for Luke, not his sister, until ROTJ! George Lucas always retconned stuff!"

Trash.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

or

Ki-Adi-Mundi’s age is from a Legends book. It’s non-canon. It’s like complaining that Obi-Wan isn’t a clone in the Prequels (old pre-EU said the name was Ob-1 and he was a clone).

Doczu

Gold Member
Ki-Adi-Mundi’s age is from a Legends book. It’s non-canon. It’s like complaining that Obi-Wan isn’t a clone in the Prequels (old pre-EU said the name was Ob-1 and he was a clone).

Mana, the hell happened? You sound like a

Disney
goR3utP.png

Why the shilling for a steaming turd?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why do you still argue with these guys? If their YouTuber says THING = BAD, then thing equals bad. That's the beginning and end of the discussion my man.
Meanwhile you:
“Ideology says this good, so it’s good and everyone else is wrong!”

I mean FFS, you defended Rings of Power. Can’t get any more obvious than that.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Why do you still argue with these guys? If their YouTuber says THING = BAD, then thing equals bad. That's the beginning and end of the discussion my man.

Agreed. I like these shows (most of them) and give them all a chance. I think it's counterproductive to pre-hate something. I like it! If someone else doesn't, that's them. I'll debate SOME things but their minds are made up already... I can't convince them of anything.

Roufianos

That alien padawan, whatever the fuck her name is, must be the worst character in all of Star Wars.

Ok episode aside from her cringe dialogue with Osha at the start and the abrupt ending.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean the dumbass who claimed fan art of Darth Plagueis was really Snoke and went out to try to debunk the legitimate image of Snoke that originated on NeoGAF? That happened.
And yet, what shit did Disney spit out as Snoke :pie_roffles:

Look, I don't watch any of these Star Wars youtubers, but fan theories are a fucking staple to this IP longer than any of us could wipe our own asses. In fact, Rian Johnson was a total asshat when it came to that very driving force of fandom and this IP. Down to his "hurr durr your Snoke theory sucks."

His whole Snoke outcome was total garbage. Trash.

The point was. We can draw opinions on this total screen vomit from our own selves, without resorting to gaslighting with disingenuous "your favorite Youtubers." Even ones with brand pom poms.

You seem salty that some youtubers have made a killing off one of your favorite IPs and you missed that boat.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
And yet, what shit did Disney spit out as Snoke :pie_roffles:

Look, I don't watch any of these Star Wars youtubers, but fan theories are a fucking staple to this IP longer than any of us could wipe our own asses. In fact, Rian Johnsons was a total asshat when it came to that very driving force of fandom and this IP. Down to his "hurr durr your Snoke theory sucks."

My point is. We can draw opinions on this total screen vomit from our own selves, without resorting to gaslighting with disingenuous "your favorite Youtubers."
What happened was Campea and Harloff found this European fan magazine that used a 2013 piece of fan art of Plagueis as Snoke.

They had a special livestream where their “sources” (Campea’s wife who works for Hasbro) 100000% confirmed to them that is what Snoke looked like. Of course when they were 100000% wrong they deleted the whole show.

A poster here on GAF got their hands on the art book early and posted an actual photo of the character from the movie. Harloff went out of his way to try to discredit and debunk the image that originated here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What happened was Campea and Harloff found this European fan magazine that used a 2013 piece of fan art of Plagueis as Snoke.

They had a special livestream where their “sources” (Campea’s wife who works for Hasbro) 100000% confirmed to them that is what Snoke looked like. Of course when they were 100000% wrong they deleted the whole show.

A poster here on GAF got their hands on the art book early and posted an actual photo of the character from the movie. Harloff went out of his way to try to discredit and debunk the image that originated here.

Who the hell cares?

This is clearly over your head, and I think I am resorting back to this (below) with how hard in the paint you go after all these youtubers with laser toys. I convinced of that "theory."

You seem salty that some youtubers have made a killing off one of your favorite IPs and you missed that boat.

If you only had this much passion for Disney to improve this wretched IP as you do for these tubliers.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Who the hell cares?

This is clearly over your head, and I think I am resorting back to this (below) with how hard in the paint you go after all these youtubers with laser toys. I convinced of that "theory."

If you only had this much passion for Disney to improve this wretched IP as you do for these tubliers.
No my problem is they post total bullshit to get people the anger dopamine hit and then that bullshit is believed by everyone suffering from confirmation bias.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Iran Johnson (iPhone autocorrect, but I think I prefer this spelling) is the king of turds. No one had a Snoke theory as bad as the reality he came up with, which was so pointless that JJ had to haphazardly retcon Palpatine in the 11th hour.
My point was Harloff went out of the way to debunk something legitimate that originated here to maintain his YouTube income.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My point was Harloff went out of the way to debunk something legitimate that originated here to maintain his YouTube income.
No fan of those guys either, the point of my post went over your head. Since Collider are known to be homers and one of many as to why RedLetter made their mock video.

Especially trying to meme Theory of all people earlier. That is how far down the damage control rabbit hole you seem to be on.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Especially trying to meme Theory of all people earlier. That is how far down the damage control rabbit hole you seem to be on.
It’s not a meme when it’s a fact they review bombed a 2008 movie because they thought it was the show.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s not a meme when it’s a fact they review bombed a 2008 movie because they thought it was the show.
“They”

The thing you posted with a whole 117 1/10 votes?

Are They in the room with us right now?
Now they’re review bombing a fan film.
jJW1pAS.jpeg

None of this stuff matters. Disney Star Wars is genuinely awful, it’s not a mind control scheme by rage bait youtubers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The dude paid a psychologist to come on his channel and say that women don’t like Star Wars.
And?

I'm almost positive you're being very disingenuous with how you're framing it. Gaslighting.

You're def damage control PR, or so mentally down the rabbit hole, you have anyone with any bit of criticism towards this as "the enemy."

Fuck off with that shit.

I feel bad for people like Theory. Used to follow him a long time ago, fantastic content with his comic reading and what if videos. He built his channel up through his passion for Star Wars, and to see him totally gutted over the years, with opinions that are of his own, I can relate. A lot of us can.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
While I fucking hate Disney, and what they've done to whatever abomination Star Wars / Marvel project they've decided to shat out on any given week, I try not to shit too much on the forgiving/masochistic folks who enjoy this stuff and give it a free pass here on GAF. I don't understand why you guys like and support these shitfests, but power to you.

Anyway, these fucking Hollywood peddlers use these shows as vehicles of activism, while at the same time proudly shitting on the traditional fans and legacy of Star Wars. Then there is the usual gaslighting and deflection when it comes to criticism of all this shit. Both men and women of different colours hate this shit too.

What's also egregious is that the media are full of these slactivist fuckers too. Accurate and truthful reviews feel like fringe topics now. And to the folks that dismiss some critics as outrage YouTubers just doing their thing; well fuck me, there's a lot to be outraged about and thank fuck these brands of critics haven't rolled over yet. Some of them have traction because they obviously resonate and have good points. If Disney supporters were more discerning and demanded Disney prioritise artistry over activism, instead of just blindly lapping it all up, perhaps then we'd get better quality shit and it would be a win-win for everyone.

Anyway that's it from me in this thread, and I'll see you mofos in the Rings of Power S2 thread in August, where no doubt we will be arguing about the same crap again.

Last edited:
I don't think Manabyte is trying to say it's good. I think he's just trying to make sure facts are presented. Not supposition and rumor or falsehoods about production and such.

I didn't watch Episode 4 after Episode 3. Manabyte hasn't really gave an opinion, he's been just posting memes and complaining about Grifters. It is just is coming off as particularly salty with his responses

I don't watch something that I don't enjoy personally and that's what lot of the haters have to learn to do instead of hate watching

Andor Season Two is the last Disney Star Wars I'm watching. I'm done with Disney Star Wars after that

The Acolyte Episode 3 was extremely disgusting and I could tell they only did that just to own the "chud". It was also disrespectful to Star Wars in general.

And I did the same thing with the movies. After watching The Farce Awakens and The Last Jedi, I haven't watched Rise of The Lamewalker and will never will

Last edited:
Top Bottom