• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best developer currently in the business?

Capcom doesn't have variety, nearly all their games are remakes and sequels of old franchises.
But it's those remakes and sequels that have gotten me into Resident Evil. I missed out on that stuff early on and now I get to play it, and in a better way.

hinch7

Capcom. The consistancy, quantity and quality are all top notch with each release. They've only gotten better through the years.

FROM are up there but not quite so crazy with their release schedule.

nial

Gold Member
a lot of people are naming publishers lol
Publishers can technically be developers too; From Software, SEGA, Nintendo, SIE, Capcom, Square Enix, etc.
It does not apply with others like Rockstar Games, though, they don't make games by themselves, and instead have subsidiaries doing that for them (like Rockstar North).

Last edited:
Capcom hands down IMO.

All platforms supported, VR masters, quick turn around time, their own proprietary engines. They are absolute masters of the craft.

Only thing they lack is smaller games. Give us some old school beat em ups, etc. Weird that they don't have a small team dedicated to continuing those beloved IPs. Seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Publishers can technically be developers too; From Software, SEGA, Nintendo, SIE, Capcom, Square Enix, etc.
It does not apply with others like Rockstar Games, though, they don't make games by themselves, and instead have subsidiaries doing that for them (like Rockstar North).
Not necessarily, they have different dev teams internally in Square Enix with specific names, saying "Capcom" doesn't really narrow it down, not all their games are good.

Last edited:

Ribi

It's hard to no be consistent when you just copy paste assets from games you made in the 2000s. Which also speaks to their quality.. what was the state of their games on pc again on release?

Y'all people really did a quick U-turn on capcom in the span of like 3years huh? All they had to do was remake old games... Once they run outta remakes y'all will once again realize how shit they are.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Capcom is one of the few that had a steady flow of good releases in the usual timeframe without the "games take longer to make" excuses

Laptop1991

PC gamer, so i have to say CDPR, nowadays although they don't make games regularly, i would have said Bethesda before Fallout 76, but not now.

_Ex_

Gold Member
1920px-Fromsoftware-logo-svg.png

Bernardougf

Gold Member
FROM ... since Demons Souls they change gaming for me ... and launched their own genre that to this day devs try to emulate with just now achieving some degree of success

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo and I don't even care for many of their marios, kirbys, etc., but seeing other comment on them and seeing how great quality the games I like from them (Metroid, Zelda, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, mostly) it seems like they barely miss. They had some misses with their Mario sport games tho, it looks like they rushed the release but even so the gameplay and general polish seemed to be on point, problem was the amount of content.

Aion002

For me is FromSoftware.

On the ps1 they were ok, on the ps2 they started getting excellent, Kuon is amazing, Another's Century 2 is epic and Otogi was cool... From the PS3 onward with Demon's Souls they became incredible, other than Ninja Blade (that was a dud), I've got no complains on FS games.

Year after year they kept delivering excellent games, from Gundam UC to Dark Souls, Armored Core VD to Bloodborne, Sekiro to Elden Ring and soon from AC6 to ER dlc.

They are consistently top notch.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Not necessarily, they have different dev teams internally in Square Enix with specific names, saying "Capcom" doesn't really narrow it down, not all their games are good.
I mean, I agree with your position, but just saying that calling them 'developers' isn't necessarily wrong.

nial

Gold Member
Nintendo and I don't even care for many of their marios, kirbys, etc., but seeing other comment on them and seeing how great quality the games I like from them (Metroid, Zelda, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, mostly) it seems like they barely miss. They had some misses with their Mario sport games tho, it looks like they rushed the release but even so the gameplay and general polish seemed to be on point, problem was the amount of content.
Metroid (aside from the three GB and GBA games) Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Kirby, and the Mario sport games (other than Kart) are not developed by Nintendo, just published by them.

Last edited:
Saying Nintendo is same as saying SIE or Xbox game studios. I think same goes for Capcom as well.

For a single studio I will go with Obsidian as of now. Depending on how Avowed turns out.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I see many mentions of Capcom and I don't know why. Dragon's Dogma 2 was meh, Street Fighter 6 was (and is) meh, Devil May Cry 5 was mid, Resident Evil Village was mid, and Monster Hunter has always been Fortnite for weebs. Only really good releases from them have been the Resident Evil Remakes.

I also see mentions of Rockstar but they have just been riding the coattails of Grand Theft Auto V since the PS3/X360 release. Red Dead Redemption 2 was more an interactive experience than a game.

P.S. I would say a bit about how terrible modern Nintendo is, but I am biased.

Last edited:
Top Bottom