• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew runs at native 1080p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One

The Dirt/GRID Series has very awkward handling.
Most Wanted and Rivals have the same issues as previous Criterion made NFS titles in that it doesn't /feel/ like a NFS game, but rather it feels like a Burnout game stuck in a NFS skin. Most Wanted is good but it plays so much better on PC w/ 60FPS that it's criminal.

We've left from an Arcade Racing golden age of good performing titles around the time last gen happened. Burnout was the last well performing Arcade Racer on consoles. It's only going to continue this 30FPS shit because of a lot of racing devs care more about visual clarity than performance/gameplay. A lot of people had high hopes that The Crew would be different, but...guess not.

It's depressing.

but that has nothing to do with the framerates, it's how they like to develop their games and their DNA was very pronounced in every NFS game they made. Forza Horizon was amazing, the framerate were silky smooth and it even fooled me into thinking that it was 60 FPS. its true that 60FPS>30FPS without any doubt but it's not as game breaking as some people here seem to think, yeah it makes everything smoother and more responsive but in the end it's only one factor that IMHO have nothing to do with how good or bad a game can be.

God. Well, ya know I'd be right there with you guys complaining about this stuff but I know in my heart I'm going to end up buying this anyway. Racing games are my favorite genre and we aren't getting a whole hell of a lot to choose from. God damn it.

If this is the same game I played at PAX last year I expect Burnout fans to be pretty happy. Felt like a co-op chase style Burnout. It'll be nice to see what other modes they put in

You just made this one of my most anticipated titles if that comparison is legit.

molnizzle

PS4 isn't out-selling the Xbone by a significant enough margin to change this situation. Last gen we got gimped PS3 multiplats because the majority of sales were on 360, the PS3 ports simply weren't as important. At the start of this gen PS4 has been selling more at the outset, but the Xbone is still doing quite well and it's entirely possible that it could pull ahead in sales after a price drop. Parity makes sense at this point.

It is what it is.

Alright, then look at Burnout Paradise; Open World, Arcade Racer. Still manages to keep it's framerate consistent, and still look really good visually to boot. You can't tell me that something like The Crew, which is admittedly ambitious for an Arcade Racer, couldn't make that shit run at 55-60FPS. The Crew doesn't even look that good to begin with.

I'm guessing you never played test drive U then. Burnout just like nfs rivals is basically a large glorified interconnect track (mostly highway) that you can never leave. Test drive ulimited was a entire island where you could drive anywhere you please including offroad.

Wow...

Sometimes I think people would be a lot happier, and maybe to the point of excited! if they were told one version looks way more superior than another, even if the game looked under par to standards, and at the same time extremely upset if they're told it looks the same, even if the game looked above standards. Anti-parity is all that matters...before looking at any footage!

PS4 is 40% more powerful, not 100%. Tomb Raider could be an exception, the Xbone version was hitting ~45fps at times, so they opened it up for PS4 to hit 60 and locked the X1 version at 30, it was not the case that the PS4 is running at twice the framerate, or even expected for everyone to get the same results, especially if MS has more mature drivers/tools since launch.

If The Crew is barely hitting 30fps on Xbone, then it may be hitting 42fps or so, given the 40% advantage on the PS4. This is of course great for the PS4, but no where near the point to make it a 60hz game. Instead it's probably best to use this extra legroom to clean up the textures and maybe add more post processing effects, and at this point we don't know exactly what has been done, so I would wait for maybe a DF comparison before getting so upset.

what about COD:G and MGS5?

BigDug13

If both versions tick the performance target box. Why would they work a lot harder to double the framerate of one version if they are both going to be the same price and 90% of reviews won't even pick up on it.
The extra dev time could be used on getting the game finished earlier so the team can maximise profit.

I'm actually ok with it. Because if they're barely getting the XBO version up to a solid framerate, it will most likely dip below that during heavy action, while the PS4 version aiming for the same target framerate and resolution will not dip the same during the same heavy action.

Based on how many games dipped this past gen below their target framerate, I'm ok with keeping the ceiling lower on PS4's target so that it can breeze through the more gristly content while maintaining the target framerates.

Silky

Banned
but that has nothing to do with the framerates, it's how they like to develop their games and their DNA was very pronounced in every NFS game they made. Forza Horizon was amazing, the framerate were silky smooth and it even fooled me into thinking that it was 60 FPS. its true that 60FPS>30FPS without any doubt but it's not as game breaking as some people here seem to think, yeah it makes everything smoother and more responsive but in the end it's only one factor that IMHO have nothing to do with how good or bad a game can be.

I was using the Criterion example because their games don't feel natural in 30FPS as they do in 60FPS. Maybe I've just been spoiled by really fast racers. :p

So much for Next Gen, though. A dull looking game like The Crew can't sacrifice the buzzword bonus points so it can perform better on 'NEXT GENERATION' hardware. It's laughable.

I still need to play Forza Horizon though. Someday....in a sale.... ; A;

I'm guessing you never played test drive U then. Burnout just like nfs rivals is basically a large glorified interconnect track (mostly highway) that you can never leave. Test drive ulimited was a entire island where you could drive anywhere you please including offroad.

No. Haven't played the Unlimited series. I should before the servers close lol. Thank poop for Steams. :D

Both run at 60fps, no?

To clarify, what I mean is that if 60fps is your primary goal, then it's hard to compare here with this case. We don't know what framerate MGS5 or COD:G would be hitting at 1080p, it doesn't necessarily mean it would be stuck at 30fps, maybe 40s, ~45 at best case scenario, far from being able to make it a 60hz game, so naturally bringing down the resolution is the simplest way of achieving their target, and still doesn't show double the performance.

noobasuar

Banned

It sure as fuck does have something to do with how good or bad a game is. You yourself said that 60 FPS makes it more responsive which is quite important in a racing game where you're going at breakneck speeds.

hesido

If The Crew is barely hitting 30fps on Xbone, then it may be hitting 42fps or so, given the 40% advantage on the PS4. This is of course great for the PS4, but no where near the point to make it a 60hz game. Instead it's probably best to use this extra legroom to clean up the textures and maybe add more post processing effects, and at this point we don't know exactly what has been done, so I would wait for maybe a DF comparison before getting so upset.

We need to wait but they are not doing anything extra even for the PC, stating parity reasons. we don't know how far they are taking this parity goal. I mean, they could be adding stuff here and there to the PS4 and still keep it at 30fps, but they don't even seem to want to do that.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Resolution aside you could easily mistake it for a last gen game.

Maybe it was? I mean it only allows 8 players simultaneously... on a fucking huge ass map? Why?

Enjoy seeing mostly AI for this online only MMO. At least 24 or 32 would be somewhat acceptable, 8 players is Mario Kart levels, less that Mario Kart even...

Calabi

Visuals are like the one area where games are able to stand out now. What reason have people got, but to buy these games for the visuals or performance? So if these developers want to pursue parity and gimp their games then they obviously dont want many sales or next gen to take off.

molnizzle

Fast ports, younger dev tools, more unknown about the hardware and last gen versions still more (financially) important. The path of least resistance was to just 720/1080 and be done with it.

That won't be the case going forward. The power gulf between PS4 and Xbone isn't significant enough to make a difference of, say, 30fps. Tomb Raider ran at like 50fps on PS4, not 60. The Xbone version likely ran at around 35-40fps. 50fps was "close enough" for the devs so they left the frame rate unlocked on PS4 and capped it at 30 on Xbone. Fastest and easiest solution.

1080p30 will likely be the standard for both PS4 and Xbone going forward. Which is fine with me, as I'd much rather have a consistent 30fps than a juddering 45-50.

Maybe it was? I mean it only allows 8 players simultaneously... on a fucking huge ass map? Why?

Enjoy seeing mostly AI for this online only MMO. At least 24 or 32 would be somewhat acceptable, 8 players is Mario Kart levels, less that Mario Kart even...

They said that the game constantly streams new players in and out of the game depending on where you are. So its the closest 8 players, but if you drive off to the other side of the region, it will be a different 8 players.

On an unrelated note, this meltdown over 30fps is pretty amusing. If its a rock solid 30fps, that is fine with me. I would like 60fps, but these claims saying that 30fps is unplayable are, frankly, ridiculous.

ShinMaruku

30fps for a racing game is a no-no. Then I seen microtransactions, Ubisoft you join EA in my shitlist. On a happy note $60 saved :)

molnizzle

I'm actually ok with it. Because if they're barely getting the XBO version up to a solid framerate, it will most likely dip below that during heavy action, while the PS4 version aiming for the same target framerate and resolution will not dip the same during the same heavy action.

Based on how many games dipped this past gen below their target framerate, I'm ok with keeping the ceiling lower on PS4's target so that it can breeze through the more gristly content while maintaining the target framerates.

Damn right.

I know this is a joke but don't even joke about it!

Can you imagine what it must be like to contact hundreds of developers to ask them what they want to see in a next gen system only for that to be ignored for parities sake? Sony must be pretty pissed off about this and I bet that Boyes post has something to do with the fact many devs are going to be doing this.

? Link?

It sure as fuck does have something to do with how good or bad a game is. You yourself said that 60 FPS makes it more responsive which is quite important in a racing game where you're going at breakneck speeds.

It really depends on the genre, this game is an arcade racer which doesn't necessarily need high performance. A locked 30 FPS experience will do fine, at "neckbreaking" speed your skill matters more :p.

EGOMON

They said that the game constantly streams new players in and out of the game depending on where you are. So its the closest 8 players, but if you drive off to the other side of the region, it will be a different 8 players.

On an unrelated note, this meltdown over 30fps is pretty amusing. If its a rock solid 30fps, that is fine with me. I would like 60fps, but these claims saying that 30fps is unplayable are, frankly, ridiculous.

So if i have a crew of 20 players, we can't be all in the same location? only 8 will appear?
please don't say yes

Reg

Banned
PS4 isn't out-selling the Xbone by a significant enough margin to change this situation. Last gen we got gimped PS3 multiplats because the majority of sales were on 360, the PS3 ports simply weren't as important. At the start of this gen PS4 has been selling more at the outset, but the Xbone is still doing quite well and it's entirely possible that it could pull ahead in sales after a price drop. Parity makes sense at this point.

It is what it is.

I suppose you're just talking about USA sales because for the rest of the world the battle is pretty much over.

ITT: People pretending the PS4 is significantly more powerful than the Xbone.

ITT: People who do not understand computer components, and the ways in which the XBO is bottle necked. Just because we have a game with parity here does not mean there isn't a performance delta.

Anteater

I wonder if it would be locked to 30 FPS on PC as well.

With the parity comment I guess it would be another case like nfs rivals, hope someone can mod it.

I'm probably not going to buy it until a version runs at 60fps, I'm lttp with a few racing games I missed out on last gen anyway.

Riky

$MSFT
Fast ports, younger dev tools, more unknown about the hardware and last gen versions still more (financially) important. The path of least resistance was to just 720/1080 and be done with it.

That won't be the case going forward. The power gulf between PS4 and Xbone isn't significant enough to make a difference of, say, 30fps. Tomb Raider ran at like 50fps on PS4, not 60. The Xbone version likely ran at around 35-40fps. 50fps was "close enough" for the devs so they left the frame rate unlocked on PS4 and capped it at 30 on Xbone. Fastest and easiest solution.

1080p30 will likely be the standard for both PS4 and Xbone going forward. Which is fine with me, as I'd much rather have a consistent 30fps than a juddering 45-50.

I agree with most of that, if you compare a 1.3 tflop GPU and a 1.8 tflop GPU on PC benchmarks you don't get double the performance at the same resolution, so why do people think you will on consoles? Also with the launch games you have to factor in devs not only had the power advantage but an easier setup on PS4, especially when you are pushed for time.

Also just because the resolution and framerates are the same it doesn't mean the games will look the same, they may use the extra power for more AA etc, that would make sense to me.

30fps for a racer? Eww that's disgusting.

I'll try to stay open I guess. Forza Horizon was 30fps and that was great... But I'd really prefer 60fps.

Computer

Good to know PS4 versions will continue to be held back for parity. No reason this and UFC aren't 1080p/60 on PS4 with XB1 being 1080p/30.

I don't think the X1 is holding the precious little PS4 back considering Forza Motorsports is 1080P 60fps.

MaxiLive

There has only been a few 60fps racing games on console hasn't there? Forza, Gran Turismo (Burnout maybe?) and Wipeout are the only ones that come to mind.

Plus you can't exactly call this racing it is more an RPG with cars instead of characters in terms of scale and objectives.

60 would be preferable and always is but I'm sure it plays perfectly fine at 30fps with some very probably 20 fps dips :p

This is one of the genres i absolutely want 60fps !

Well i was never gonna buy The Crew anyway because it looks boring as hell. I just hope future racing games target and make 60fps a priority. I can't believe we're in 2014 and we're debating 60fps, that shit should be a standard.

I prefer less resolution and better framerate any day.

amar212

There has only been a few 60fps racing games on console hasn't there? Forza, Gran Turismo (Burnout maybe?) and Wipeout are the only ones that come to mind.
p

Very Reflections made a 60fps open-world driving game that uses streaming on PS3.

Driver: San Francisco.

So? Most of the best arcade racers have been 60 FPS.

You think burnout would be held in such high regard if it was 30 FPS? The answer is no. People wouldn't even know or care who criterion was if they made 30 FPS racers.
This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a while.

Tell me this is poorly executed sarcasm? No one outside the internet gives 2 squirts of piss about fps

It is what it is.

Lawl. There isn't a correlation between console marketshare and quality of games. (see Gen 5). Even with the games we got like NFS Rivals, TR DE(resolution, IQ wise) that were said to have parity, the PS4 version looked better. When a dev claims parity, they actually claim the differences aren't too big(720p vs1080p), but will still matter to most people who follow DF and technical analysises.

Also the Bone is getting pummeled by PS4 in sales, Sony secured the +50 markets they released in and brought the fight back to Xbox's homeland, MS is defending it's crumbling marketshare in the 1, 2 countries they had a lead in instead of expanding it.

RetroStu

Banned
The last video i saw of this game looked awful and had a terrible framerate and it was supposed to be the PS4 version as well so i doubt its the XB1 version holding it back, its more likely the fact that its an open world game thats limiting the framerate to 30fps.

Marmac

Banned
30fps for a racing game? Are you kidding me? For me to even touch a game it has to be 60fps or above. Get that 30fps out of here! 30fps is so 1990s! So pathetic that these "next gen" consoles can't even do 1080p/60fps. This should be the standard for "next gen". C'mon we're in 2014!

system11

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a while.

Tell me this is poorly executed sarcasm? No one outside the internet gives 2 squirts of piss about fps

I think he's right. Burnout was popular because it was fast, a huge part of the 'looking fast' part is the frame rate. If nobody noticed or cared, CoD wouldn't have sailed to massive success on the back of 60fps gaming.

RetroStu

Banned
Turning into a chalkboard situation - is anyone going to release a 60fps racer on the PS4 soon?

If someone makes a linear circuit racer then i'm sure they will be 60fps like Forza.
There hasn't been a single 60fps open world game yet on next gen, there are just too many variables in open world games to have 60fps i think.

Top Bottom