• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew runs at native 1080p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One

le.phat

ITT: People pretending the PS4 is significantly more powerful than the Xbone.

also people who can't read a spec sheet.
anyway, this is one of the dumbest quotes i've seen in a while lol:

"...so it's something that’s important to us not to branch out and not do individual things for individual platforms."

so It is important to you to not 'branch out '?
Who let this clown out of his office? Someone at ubisoft marketing put a leash on this dude.

yyr

do we have solid confirmation that the ps4 is twice as powerful? becuase I havn't seen it. Ive seen some games with variable framerates on the ps4 and locked on xbox one

It's impossible to measure the "power level" of a console, as a whole, unless you're Vegeta perhaps. We know that the PS4's GPU is more powerful, but the bottom line is how the software is developed. Lazy programmers, poor planning and/or unoptimized code will throw away these advantages, and depending on architecture differences, might even make some hardware perform worse than it should.

edit: also, if a particular aspect of a game is particularly reliant on the CPU or other aspects of the architecture, a GPU advantage will not mean quite as much.

hesido

Good ol times that arcade meant butter smooth 60fps! When things are moving fast, let them flow at 60hz dammit. Even as a kid, I never gave up any coins to shitty arcade games that ran at 30fps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
lol sarcasm? sarcasm

Yes ;)

I know this is a joke but don't even joke about it!

Can you imagine what it must be like to contact hundreds of developers to ask them what they want to see in a next gen system only for that to be ignored for parities sake? Sony must be pretty pissed off about this and I bet that Boyes post has something to do with the fact many devs are going to be doing this.

It's unfair to PS4 owners and Pc gamers.

People who bought X1s knew exactly what they were getting, i don't see why they'd complain. Games should be made to take advantage of their respective hardware and I will not support any game thatpurposely gimps one version for the sake of parity

I can see a situation where the performance of the Xbox One dev tools increase such that the Xbox One is capable of 1080p @ 30fps on a large selection of multi platform games.

If that is the performance criteria of a multi platform game. That target will be easier to achieve on PS4 and a lot more work on Xbox One but once they have both achieved that then why would a dev work a lot harder to get to 60fps on PS4? What would be in it for them?

udiie

If this is the same game I played at PAX last year I expect Burnout fans to be pretty happy. Felt like a co-op chase style Burnout. It'll be nice to see what other modes they put in

No. I'm not participating in any console war vs mustard race bullshit. I simply find it hilarious that console owners are trying to pass the blame onto the other console.

If the problem that you're proposing is the weakest system being built for is holding the rest back why on earth wouldn't the differences between 2nd and 3rd place be entirely relevant?

Are you suggesting it wouldn't be better for PC users if MS hadn't put in a stronger GPU comparable to the PS4's?

GetemMa

At the E3 reveal the cars looked like they handled like Shopping carts.

The concept is cool, but the car handling I've seen so far combined with the 30fps have killed my interest in this game.

I'll wait for Forza Horizon 2 methinks. Shouldn't be too far from The Crew's launch window but will be infinitely better, imho.

Chobel

I can see a situation where the performance of the Xbox One dev tools increase such that the Xbox One is capable of 1080p @ 30fps on a large selection of multi platform games.

If that is the performance criteria of a multi platform game. That target will be easier to achieve on PS4 and a lot more work on Xbox One but once they have both achieved that then why would a dev work a lot harder to get to 60fps on PS4? What would be in it for them?

So it's OK for a dev to work harder on Xbone version but not on PS4 version?

To get the best possible result. It's MS' own fault that they made such a terribly designed console, let them suffer for it but don't let that affect other platforms

Why should the X1 get special attention just because MS screwed up?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

If both versions tick the performance target box. Why would they work a lot harder to double the framerate of one version if they are both going to be the same price and 90% of reviews won't even pick up on it.
The extra dev time could be used on getting the game finished earlier so the team can maximise profit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

That's such a skewed view. It's got nothing to do with what's in it for them, it's about not screwing the gamer.

If both versions tick the performance target box. Why would they work a lot harder to double the framerate of one version if they are both going to be the same price and 90% of reviews won't even pick up on it.
The extra dev time could be used on getting the game finished earlier so the team can maximise profit.

Seriously, with gamers like you devs must be laughing all the way to the bank. We get what we demand or we get what we deserve. If you believe that competition is good then how is it good if the competition is made redundant?

hesido

You are on point with this. The sad truth, PS4 Tomb Raider not scoring even slightly higher for all that extra work, dat stupid Polygon score. I'm not kidding, those guys are part of the problem about why devs do not go with 60fps as often as we'd like.

orochi91

I'll wait for Forza Horizon 2 methinks. Shouldn't be too far from The Crew's launch window but will be infinitely better, imho.

Has Horizon 2 been confirmed for this year? If not, then the Crew is as good as it
gets for the foreseeable future. Unless Drive Club releases this year (lol).

But seriously, Ubisoft makes it hard to support them sometimes with shitty decisions
like this. I own a PS4 and a great gaming PC, but neither of them will be pushed
to take advantage of their specs because of this parity clause. Due to this news,
Child of Light might be the only game I purchase from them this year.

Has Horizon 2 been confirmed for this year? If not, then the Crew is as good as it

But seriously, Ubisoft makes it hard to support them sometimes with shitty decisions
like this. I own a PS4 and a great gaming PC, but neither of them will be pushed
to take advantage of their specs because of this parity clause. Due to this news,
Child of Light might be the only game I purchase from them this year.

MS has released a Forza every year, there's no way Horizon 2 doesn't come out this year

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You are on point with this. The sad truth, PS4 Tomb Raider not scoring even slightly higher for all that extra work, dat stupid Polygon score. I'm not kidding, those guys are part of the problem about why devs do not go with 60fps as often as we'd like.

It sold more on the PS4 and rightly so. It also made the devs look better and secured more sales for a follow up. This is what devs USED to know.

Kinyou

Wouldn't it be the most logical thing to do for a dev? Having big discrepancies might turn the people who'd get the inferior version off from buying it.

Turn 10 and Playground were going to alternate yearly last I heard, so 2014 is Horizon then 2015 is Motorsport and so on....

Taker666

Wouldn't it be the most logical thing to do for a dev? Having big discrepancies might turn the people who'd get the inferior version off from buying it.

..but it might also put people off PS4/PC owners who feel the game has been deliberately gimped.

wildfire

Banned
I hate to be a prophet but i was predicting this situation even before this generation started.PS4 being more powerful will be completely pointless for most third party games since the publishers don't want to displease either platform holder.

You weren't the first person to make this revelation but you guys are a rare breed.

Devs should be pushing for 4 basic settings in the future.

30FPS High graphics and aliasing
60FPS medium graphics no aliasing
120FPS low graphics (maybe aliased) ~ 4k at 30fps no aliasing.

30fps for racing games should be something from the past at this point. for me 30fps in racing games just feel completely wrong and made games almost unplayable.

so forza horizon, NFS rivals & most wanted and hot pursuit, Grid and Dirt 2 & 3 were all unplayable? those were the best racing games last gen and they all played great, so stop with the garbage hyperbole.

Mods should really start doing something about it because it's getting really ridiculous around here.

VanWinkle

I am not arguing that AT ALL. No where have I said such a thing.

If your logic is, weaker system holds back stronger system. The PS4 is holding the PC back as well.

Why are you arguing the fact that BOTH consoles can not keep up with the PC?

The XB1 will hold back the PS4, truth. The PS4 will hold back the PC, fact. IS what I am saying.

You're arguing a point that has nothing to do with this thread. In THIS game, the Xbox One is the target platform (target the lowest powered so it will be ensured to run well), and they're going for parity across all platforms. The PS4 can't be holding the PC version back in THIS game if the PS4 ITSELF is being held back. Only the weakest platform can be holding back the other platforms. In this game.

30FPS really doesn't make that much of a difference in arcade racers.

Forza Horizon, Midtown Madness 3, PGR 3/4, TDU 2, NFS Rivals, were all 30fps arcade racers and they're all fantastic.

I'm just glad that an open world racer is hitting 1080p on consoles, that's a first and it'll look great being the first one in native 1080.

NFS Rivals is. You even mentioned the game in your post.

cyberheater

I agree. There is little incentive from the developers to push one platform if the gaming journalists are either:-
1. To dumb to realise the difference or
2. In the pockets of platform holders and scared of adverse effect on advertising revenue etc...

In terms of the hardware holding back the industry, the price is pretty much irrelevant. Also, everyone owns a damn PC. Put $399 into upgrading a PC that is newer than 3 years and it sure beats any console. Let's not have this argument, for the sake of the integrity of this thread.
Do they? I own a Mac and I know people who only use Linux or even just tablets...

Kinyou

..but it might also put people off PS4/PC owners who feel the game has been deliberately gimped.
Yeah, but that's just a possibility, you can only theorize about how much better it would look. Having a worse looking version compared to the others is a bit more substantial.

V-Lance

Banned
Do yourself a favor. Read the OP, think about it and come back ready to engage in a line of thought that is pertinent to the discussion.

Just for you, I did. Here's what the OP, and the linked article, sais:
1. both Xbone and PS4 versions will run at 1080@30
2. PC won't differ too much
3. Devs are lazy and using "muh parity" as an excuse for not delivering tailored versions for different platforms

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about how much the Xbone is dragging the whole thing down, and/or if the PS4 would even be capable of 1080@60 with this game. I'm not trying to defend the Xbone here, I know it is inferior in terms of hardware and it can't even handle 60fps in a goddamn arcade racer. But we don't even know if the PS4 could handle constant 60fps. We can only guess. All we know is the PC certainly could.

It's a shitty move from the devs, but they'll get away with it because it's an arcade racer with integrated social features. The target audience for this game doesn't even know what 60fps means.

Looks like Microsoft pr is doing its job.
Hahahahahahahahhaahahaha....HAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Do they? I own a Mac and I know people who only use Linux or even just tablets...

TIL as soon as you install an OS different from Windows, your PC turns into a non-PC.

Silky

Banned
so forza horizon, NFS rivals & most wanted and hot pursuit, Grid and Dirt 2 & 3 were all unplayable? those were the best racing last gen and they all played great, so stop with the garbage hyperbole.

Mods should really start to do something about it because it's getting really ridiculous around here.

The Dirt/GRID Series has very awkward handling.
Most Wanted and Rivals have the same issues as previous Criterion made NFS titles in that it doesn't /feel/ like a NFS game, but rather it feels like a Burnout game stuck in a NFS skin. Most Wanted is good but it plays so much better on PC w/ 60FPS that it's criminal.

We've left from an Arcade Racing golden age of good performing titles around the time last gen happened. Burnout was the last well performing Arcade Racer on consoles. It's only going to continue this 30FPS shit because of a lot of racing devs care more about visual clarity than performance/gameplay. A lot of people had high hopes that The Crew would be different, but...guess not.

It's depressing.

This game is more comparable to test drive unlimited then mario kart. Performance demands are not even in the same universe.

Alright, then look at Burnout Paradise; Open World, Arcade Racer. Still manages to keep it's framerate consistent, and still look really good visually to boot. You can't tell me that something like The Crew, which is admittedly ambitious for an Arcade Racer, couldn't make that shit run at 55-60FPS. The Crew doesn't even look that good to begin with.

impact

Banned
I can't believe a game that looks like this is running at 30fps on PS4

Wf7uCqt.jpg

Parity is disappointing for PS4 owners and especially PC gamers.

I thought Sony had a close relationship with Ubi (I mean, their fucking games take up half of Sony's E3 conferences)?
I hope this doesn't become a trend. :/

VanWinkle

For most of us they were. Speed is kinda important in a racing game.

I guess some people enjoy racing through a slide show but I don't.

I don't enjoy racing through a slide show, but I love a lot of 30fps racing games. Your hyperbole is astounding, and - if I can be honest - a little embarrassing.

Chobel

If both versions tick the performance target box, that rarely happen in big budget games. And for games designed for PC, there's multiple performance target boxes to tick.

Good to know PS4 versions will continue to be held back for parity. No reason this and UFC aren't 1080p/60 on PS4 with XB1 being 1080p/30.

The game running at 60fps on PS4 costs exactly how much more when the huge power advantage and better tools are there for free... lol

I have no interest in this game now. Ain't gettin' my money, Ivory Tower.

Parity can fuck off.

Wow...

Sometimes I think people would be a lot happier, and maybe to the point of excited! if they were told one version looks way more superior than another, even if the game looked under par to standards, and at the same time extremely upset if they're told it looks the same, even if the game looked above standards. Anti-parity is all that matters...before looking at any footage!

PS4 is 40% more powerful, not 100%. Tomb Raider could be an exception, the Xbone version was hitting ~45fps at times, so they opened it up for PS4 to hit 60 and locked the X1 version at 30, it was not the case that the PS4 is running at twice the framerate, or even expected for everyone to get the same results, especially if MS has more mature drivers/tools since launch.

If The Crew is barely hitting 30fps on Xbone, then it may be hitting 42fps or so, given the 40% advantage on the PS4. This is of course great for the PS4, but no where near the point to make it a 60hz game. Instead it's probably best to use this extra legroom to clean up the textures and maybe add more post processing effects, and at this point we don't know exactly what has been done, so I would wait for maybe a DF comparison before getting so upset.

Top Bottom