• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dentist Who Killed Cecil the Lion Says He's Heading Back to Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://news.vice.com/article/the-d...es-heading-back-to-work?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Walter Palmer, the big game hunter from Minnesota who became the focus of a worldwide controversy after he illegally killed a celebrated lion named Cecil in Zimbabwe in July, has said he plans to resume work at his dental practice in a Minneapolis suburb on Tuesday.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with the Associated Press and the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Palmer talked of his plans to resume dental work, and continued to stress that he felt his activities in Zimbabwe were legal. He also said he was shocked when he learned that the lion he killed was a national favorite.

"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn't have taken it," Palmer said. "Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion."

Ozigizo

So he would have lured a different lion off of protected ground and killed it, had he only known?

It's still hard to believe he didn't know with all the elaborate things they did.

"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn't have taken it"

Not once did he say he was sorry for killing the animal. He was just sorry that he took an important lion.

Isn't the fact that the party tried to remove the collar of the lion proof they knew at least after who the lion was? Or at the very least knew they shot it illegally and it was protected.

Not to mention luring it out in the first place. In which they knew it was illegal from the start.

Lying through his teeth. Hopefully his dental skills are better than his ability to lie.

BobLoblaw

Banned
"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn't have taken it," Palmer said. "Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion."

Should read:

"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I would have killed a different lion or some other animal," Palmer said. "Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion, but I paid them 50 grand to find me a lion to kill and they found one."

I hereby name every lion on the planet "Gerald." Now please stop fucking shooting them.

The Cowboy

What a weird thing to do, not him going back to work (i mean that's not exactly news worthy at all) - what's weird is that he was hounded by the public for what he did, so giving an interview to get back into the public eye after things have died down is really stupid.

By all means go back to work (do people expect him to stay out of work or something?), but it just seems really silly to give an interview considering it will just get the internet mob back onto him.

DOWN

Banned
So he's just sorry it was a lion that people were paying attention to, not that he killed it for no reason

The whole outrage is silly, but I'd think he would have done this quietly.

When we have species of rhino going extinct, and other larger mammals losing massive population numbers to hunting and poaching, I don't think it's that silly

zeemumu

Because this man enjoys ruining his professional career.

I don't think it will. Maybe for a while definitely not permanently. There are people who have done far worse animal-related crimes that you would never recognize unless they outright introduced themselves as something like "hey I was that woman who threw a bucket of puppies into a river."

Xdrive05

In hunting "harvesting" seems a better euphemism than "taking", as it connotes using the dead animal for its resource utility, which is more accurate for hunting in general. But some big game hunting (safari and high-fence operations) can be closer to just plain killing, depending on what happens afterwards.

I tend to go with "killing", inadequate as it is, so as to not white wash the act of harvesting game. Feels clearly applied best for situations like this controversial lion hunt.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I kind of figured nothing was going to happen. A fine would have been fitting, but no...business as usual. Hopefully the poachers who helped him back there, get a prison sentence at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom