• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dentist Who Killed Cecil the Lion Says He's Heading Back to Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best article I've read about this whole situation:

"In Zimbabwe, We Don't Cry For Lions"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html

Read the article. It was quite bad, focusing on the significance to a Zimbabwe individual's day to to day life vs the overall concern over lion population we should be worried about, which is fast depleting, and our responsibility as a human race, as a whole, in helping preserve these animals.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Kimawolf

Read the article. It was quite bad, focusing on the significance to a Zimbabwe individual's day to to day life vs the overall concern over lion population we should be worried about, which is fast depleting, and our responsibility as a human race, as a whole, in helping preserve these animals.

I completely disagree. Here in MO we have mountain lions, and we would kill every one of those sons of bitches if we could. Heck in America we've basically killed all of our big game/dangerous game, but we always do this, go to other countries preaching how they should preserve nature, even if its at a cost to the local people.

Why should they not have the luxury of not having to worry about being mauled to death, like we do here?

And "Cecil" isn't special, he's just another animal. The difference is he was given a name so people can "humanize" with him. Maybe they should show video of a lion mauling people to remind them what they do to people who have to LIVE around them.

I completely disagree. Here in MO we have mountain lions, and we would kill every one of those sons of bitches if we could. Heck in America we've basically killed all of our big game/dangerous game, but we always do this, go to other countries preaching how they should preserve nature, even if its at a cost to the local people.

Why should they not have the luxury of not having to worry about being mauled to death, like we do here?

And "Cecil" isn't special, he's just another animal. The difference is he was given a name so people can "humanize" with him. Maybe they should show video of a lion mauling people to remind them what they do to people who have to LIVE around them.

Try not to look at it as an isolated incident. The lion population as a whole is fast dwindling.
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/big-cats-initiative/lion-decline-map/

We as a race should ensure the survival of said species. I mean, If you think not having lions around in 50 years isn't a big deal, then we aren't going to come to an understanding. I don't think it's fair to say people living in the U.S. can't have an opinion on the matter because of what our nation as a whole has done to our animal population. We are individuals after all and it doesn't solve the problem.

Try not to look at it as an isolated incident. The lion population as a whole is fast dwindling.
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/big-cats-initiative/lion-decline-map/

We as a race should ensure the survival of said species. I mean, If you think not having lions around in 50 years isn't a big deal, then we aren't going to come to an understanding. I don't think it's fair to say people living in the U.S. can't have an opinion on the matter because of what our nation as a whole has done to our animal population. We are individuals after all and it doesn't solve the problem.

The bigger issue is the lions are the most important thing. Cecil has made more people aware of Zimbabwe (not for their real human problems) but because a guy killed a lion. There's hypocrisy all over the place, but we still want to play the moral high ground.

The bigger issue is the lions are the most important thing. Cecil has made more people aware of Zimbabwe (not for their real human problems) but because a guy killed a lion. There's hypocrisy all over the place, but we still want to play the moral high ground.

The lions were the important issue because it was a story about a lion, just like when we hear stories about human rights issues obviously that is the focus. A person can care about both, and I always find that's a silly argument to make that because people are focused on the lions from a story about a lion, that they must not care about human rights issues as a whole. If that's the case we can only be upset about the biggest, baddest, most important problem in the world, period.

Obviously any time a viral story becomes known, you are going to have people with a passing interest make comments and ultimately forget about the story. Anyone would be silly to deny that. I doubt anyone is arguing that isn't the case. The important thing is to hope that it does bring awareness overall, and that a good chunk of people will take more of a passing glance. Look at the Ice Bucket Challenge. How many cared about ALS during that fad? A good chunk didn't, they just cared about the challenge itself. Still, it ended up raising 115 million, which was something like 110 million more than the previous year.

So yea, I guess when I see a story like this, I understand the bandwagon outrage is annoying, but in the grand scheme if it helps, then so be it.

Yea right, the overall lion population. If this lion hadn't been named Cecil and had just been some random wild lion this story would never have been a thing.

People often have more of an outcry of violence towards animals than humans.

Perhaps because we feel that we can stop or prevent the former, but not the latter.

But lions aren't like cougars or coyotes and animals like that. Most lions live in protected game reserves and they don't really interact with people at all. Regardless of what type of animal it was, these people were still hunting on land that was illegal for them to hunt on.

Edit: I forgot that technically they lured the lion away but point still stands. It wasn't just a lion wandering around a town trying to attack people. He lived on a game reserve.

Didn't Zimbabwe want to extradite him? What's going on with that?

They did, and technically USA has an extradition treaty with them, but Zimbabwe doesn't have enough political power to be taken seriously. Plus, hunting lions is not explicitly an extraditable crime listed in the treaty, so it gets caught up in technicalities.

Here's an interesting article if you'd like more specifics:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/opinions/cevallos-can-dentist-be-extradited/

You're right, but does that contradict anything I said?

Well, the article is about how the outrage in America is a little bit silly and misplaced. You are saying it's a bad article. So although it's possible I'm wrong, I interpreted this to mean that (among other things like your concern for the overall lion population) you believe the outrage in America is justified. But the outrage in America has absolutely nothing to do with the overall lion population and everything to do with looking for an excuse to get mad about soemthing.

In any case, if I misunderstood you then my apologies.

entremet

nick nacc

Banned
Honestly I am tired of the vitriol on the public towards these issues. Even if I don't agree with what he did, I don't think he should be boycotted or lose his career over an unrelated aspect of his life.

Not that people are I just feel I wanted to get that off my chest

Well, the article is about how the outrage in America is a little bit silly and misplaced. You are saying it's a bad article. So although it's possible I'm wrong, I interpreted this to mean that (among other things like your concern for the overall lion population) you believe the outrage in America is justified. But the outrage in America has absolutely nothing to do with the overall lion population and everything to do with looking for an excuse to get mad about soemthing.

In any case, if I misunderstood you then my apologies.

No worries. Like I said, Largely the "outrage" in the story is from drive by news readers. No denying that. But with these viral stories, I do believe you get people who pay attention and become legitimately concerned about real issues involved around the story. In this case, bringing awareness to dwindling population numbers in not just the Lion population, but other larger mammals like Elephants and Rhinos. Essentially, the drive by outrage posters are annoying, but overall if some good comes from the story getting exposure, I am ok with dealing with that negative.

As far as the article, I never like when someone says you are not allowed to have a voice in the matter because you are going to be lumped into a larger group, despite how much or little involvement you have with that group. I also think the author chose to focus on the drive by "outrage" group while undermining the larger issue with lion populations dwindling, which is a very real issue, and every person in the world who wants to bring attention to it should have a voice.

To be clear, you and I don't disagree about "outrage" culture.

vordhosbn

Banned
i can't believe he's still getting this much attention. i seriously hope nobody is dumb enough to kill this dude in an act of vigilantism, it's gonna make everyone look truly stupid.

No worries. Like I said, Largely the "outrage" in the story is from drive by news readers. No denying that. But with these viral stories, I do believe you get people who pay attention and become legitimately concerned about real issues involved around the story. In this case, bringing awareness to dwindling population numbers in not just the Lion population, but other larger mammals like Elephants and Rhinos. Essentially, the drive by outrage posters are annoying, but overall if some good comes from the story getting exposure, I am ok with dealing with that negative.

As far as the article, I never like when someone says you are not allowed to have a voice in the matter because you are going to be lumped into a larger group, despite how much or little involvement you have with that group. I also think the author chose to focus on the drive by "outrage" group while undermining the larger issue with lion populations dwindling, which is a very real issue, and every person in the world who wants to bring attention to it should have a voice.

To be clear, you and I don't disagree about "outrage" culture.

I also don't think that the author cares that much about the lion population dwindling, given his own personal experience with them (and I kind of don't blame him either, I'd feel the same if I had grown up around the constant threat of lions)

This cupcake could have strapped on some gloves and boxed a bit if he wanted to feel like a man and it would have been a bigger adrenaline rush than pulling a trigger, but then it would actually cost and demand something more from him than simply having money.

Apt101

I find it hard to care that a guy killed a lion when millions of people stand witness to rich people raping the environment and forcing the poor into wage slavery while the Supreme Court strips the rights of minority voters. Stop focusing on bullshit and vote and write Congress about shit that matters.

M.W.

I find it hard to care that a guy killed a lion when millions of people stand witness to rich people raping the environment and forcing the poor into wage slavery while the Supreme Court strips the rights of minority voters. Stop focusing on bullshit and vote and write Congress about shit that matters.

Bieber got robbed

Monocle

It's fine, the next lion he kills for his personal enjoyment probably won't have a name or be a national favorite. He'll probably kill a lot of other big game before he even has the opportunity to kill another lion, so don't worry.

Mascot

This fucker can spin it any way he likes, but at the end of the day he ended the life of a majestic beast in a painful and cowardly way for nothing more than personal gratification.

I hope his life stays ruined.

Why? It was just a lion.

Jesus Christ.

funkypie

Banned

It's a shame but why should the international community help Zimbabwe as long as that moron roberto mcgabe runs the show.

Of course that doctors going back to work, he's American he does whatever the fuck he wants.

Kup

"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn't have taken it," Palmer said. "Nobody in our hunting party knew before or after the name of this lion."

Well, obviously. Idiot, that isn't the point. It's not a problem to hunt and murder and living thing for sport because it doesn't have a name? So what he means is:

"If I had known this lion had a name and was important to the country or a study obviously I wouldn't have taken it knowing I would be found out"

Foffy

Banned
That bolded quote is hilarious. Do people really not believe that animals in certain context are given human attributes like names and social reference of belonging to a culture?

SaganIsGOAT

He seems really tone deaf in regards to whole ordeal. "If I had known it had a name..." Just shut the fuck up guy it's not about that. Stop hunting these amazing animals for sport. It's barbaric and you are a piece of shit for participating. Yes, I am mad. Knowing my children will not see some of the most beatiful creatures on Earth because of a man made extinction disgusts me.

Best article I've read about this whole situation:

"In Zimbabwe, We Don't Cry For Lions"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html

Pretty much why I'm meh on the whole thing. There are many upon many villages like his in Africa that still live off the land and aren't living in concrete jungles. These people have to deal with wildlife and the dangers that come with it. I'm sure someone can/will argue the human deaths are sad but necessary. Let me know if you feel that way if a mountain lion were to pop up in your backyard and kill your child, I'm doubting you'd name it and weep for it's passing.

SaganIsGOAT

Pretty much why I'm meh on the whole thing. There are many upon many villages like his in Africa that still live off the land and aren't living in concrete jungles. These people have to deal with wildlife and the dangers that come with it. I'm sure someone can/will argue the human deaths are sad but necessary. Let me know if you feel that way if a mountain lion were to pop up in your backyard and kill your child, I'm doubting you'd name it and weep for it's passing.

Jesus Christ. Defending yourself against wild life is NOT THE SAME as paying $50,000 to go hunting for sport. Are you being dense intentionally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom