• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

McNum

I got kicked off the server in SFV. But I was on a losing streak anyway. Neutral jumping fireballs is pretty great, but it leaves me in a loop. I wonder if any of the fights got saved as a replay, kept getting "Result not uploaded". I had a fantastic match with a Zangief, it was all footsies and he was pretty good at it. Karin has trouble when the opponent has longer legs than her...

As for Steam / CFN, here's mine.

Steam: McNum (If you find the Danish one with the Valkyria Chonicles avatar, you got the right one.)
CFN: McNum_V

Has this been posted yet? A Ryu guide just got uploaded to the official street fighter YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/LZGql2q-G1k

This is different than the (kind of useless) character introduction videos they've been putting up. It's fairly in-depth and a good starting point for learning the character, and it seems like they'll be making more for the rest of the cast. This is the exact kind of video they need to be putting out there to help people learn the game.

Kioshen

What are my options on wakeup as Chun Li? Since SFV has no invincible backdash I'm struggling of what to do on wakeup besides crouch block and ex sbk and it's making me intention known.

I haven't explored Chun yet but in V you kinda have to eat the mix up on wake up if you got yourself in that situation. You can vary your wake up timing by sometimes doing a normal wake up, other times quick rise up and some other times back quick rise up but other than blocking or EX sbk I don't see many options. Bison or Nash players have nothing as a get off me move so at least you have ex sbk.

You can also do a V reversal to relieve some pressure/stun.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think the Prima guide is helpful?

• Full frame data: Learn the startup, recovery, and active frames for every move in the game for every character.
  • In-depth tactics: Strategies for movement, range, and specific information for each character's moveset.
  • Reliable and situational combos: Learn the best links and combos for the entire cast of characters to get dependable damage, whether you're fighting online or against another person.

I kinda want to get it for the art stuff alone (I'm a sucker for that kinda shit) but just curious how valuable this is actually going to be. Or if it is a "indepth tactics!" and it consists of "don't get punched a lot. Or kicked. Or thrown."

I ended up grabbing the guide at Best Buy today, since my Amazon order still said it wasn't shipping until the 23rd.

It's a really nice guide. Well constructed, good info about the systems up front, several pages on each character detailing all their moves, and ending with a few pages of combos etc.

The Ryu and Ken matted art is nicer than I expected too. Already stuck it in an 8x10 frame and hung it in the mancave. :D

Producer

What are my options on wakeup as Chun Li? Since SFV has no invincible backdash I'm struggling of what to do on wakeup besides crouch block and ex sbk and it's making me intention known.

pretty much either block, ex sbk, or yolo wakeup cr jab lol. Back tech helps alot in avoiding wakeup pressure.

I ended up grabbing the guide at Best Buy today, since my Amazon order still said it wasn't shipping until the 23rd.

It's a really nice guide. Well constructed, good info about the systems up front, several pages on each character detailing all their moves, and ending with a few pages of combos etc.

The Ryu and Ken matted art is nicer than I expected too. Already stuck it in an 8x10 frame and hung it in the mancave. :D

I actually picked it up too and really like it alot!

Would anyone be opposed if I created a Steam group for us? It would be easier to find each other on Steam and get some matches from folks learning fighting games as well.

Is there a better way to cancel a low HP into shoryuken than doing 2 times low diagonal + HP?

There are two ways to do Shoryuken, and diagonal twice is the shortcut. The only other way is the actual forward, down, down-forward motion. It might take some practice to combo from crouching to dp motion, especially if you have a habit of holding down-back even while performing crouching normals, but it's probably a smoother motion than pushing a diagonal twice.

Astarte

So I noticed a lot of people don't seem to be punishing these moves. At least not when I've done them. Even better players than plain mashers only seem to be getting a jab or so in.

I did that video because of that.

Will also have match analyses once I'll get ranked matches more often than every 45 minutes. I do those for Tekken so might as well do it for the new game as well.

That's a pretty adorable remix of Life is Beautiful.

I love the process of figuring out how to fight people. I love the review process. I reviewed my replays from last night and went to training to defend against them so I can understand the characters I'm facing more. So the Cammy I came across did a backhand and then when I blocked immediately did a DP. I was confused because I'm so used to backhand being negative on block. But in this game Cammy's spinning knuckle seems positive on block. So I trained against finding ways to interrupt the spinning knuckle to begin with. A jab is nice, but a medium punch is REALLY nice because it gives them a sense of comfort before I slap them in the face and I can combo out of it, allowing me to maximize damage.

This is one of my favorite parts of playing fighting games: filling in pools of ignorance with information. I didn't know what Cammy could do yesterday, but now I'm heated to play another because I filled my head with matchup knowledge. Getting better incrementally one step at a time. Love it.

I love the process of figuring out how to fight people. I love the review process. I reviewed my replays from last night and went to training to defend against them so I can understand the characters I'm facing more. So the Cammy I came across did a backhand and then when I blocked immediately did a DP. I was confused because I'm so used to backhand being negative on block. But in this game Cammy's spinning knuckle seems positive on block. So I trained against finding ways to interrupt the spinning knuckle to begin with. A jab is nice, but a medium punch is REALLY nice because it gives them a sense of comfort before I slap them in the face and I can combo out of it, allowing me to maximize damage.

This is one of my favorite parts of playing fighting games: filling in pools of ignorance with information. I didn't know what Cammy could do yesterday, but now I'm heated to play another because I filled my head with matchup knowledge. Getting better incrementally one step at a time. Love it.
As a Cammy player this is good to know, thanks for this. And all the vids you posted, they've helped so much.

Also, we should fight.

McNum

Here is a quick Steam group I setup for the PC players in this thread.

Should be a good way to find other players here for some games!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gafs2m
Joined as well.

I'll probably have some more video uploads tomorrow. I need to find out why I'm free to Kens, something of theirs that I'm just blocking wrong. Hopefully the server didn't eat the Zangief fight, because I want to share that one. I mean, I lost 0-2, but still, it was my favorite fight of the night.

OMG. Had an amazing fight tonight. A few weeks back I was frought thinking my 200+ hours of SFIV was a waste given my play in SFV beta, and tonight fucking PROVED that the amount of research, patience, practice, and time I've spent playing and grinding SF has fucking paid off. I'm really proud of this match even though I lose. It's not perfect, but it's the first real OMG match I've had in SFV and I cannot wait to share it.

Tips for playing charge characters?

Beyond Technical did a really good guide on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blgY5D8-rnM

Since there is no Balrog or Guile in this yet, I suggest playing Necalli or Bison as good introductions to playing charge.

Fang and Chun are a bit more technical. I'd suggest Necalli for any newcomer hoping to learn charge since he's all about getting in your face and doesn't rely on charge.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Charge Gang. You are initiated.

tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif

OMG. Had an amazing fight tonight. A few weeks back I was frought thinking my 200+ hours of SFIV was a waste given my play in SFV beta, and tonight fucking PROVED that the amount of research, patience, practice, and time I've spent playing and grinding SF has fucking paid off. I'm really proud of this match even though I lose. It's not perfect, but it's the first real OMG match I've had in SFV and I cannot wait to share it.

https://youtu.be/C7lGfEXxSeo

Get in, y'all.

I love this game.

Top Bottom