• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

Josh5890

I haven't posting as much but I have been reading daily. I have been getting a little better but I'm no where near where I want to be yet. I believe that my biggest flaws are
  • Failure to execute moves consistently online.
  • Unable to stop combos that chew me up.
  • Still don't take advantage of openings like I should
  • Push too many actions when close to opponent.

I will say that I have become more patient at some points and I wait for my opponent to come to me, which is much easier since I still play exclusively as Ryu. I feel like my anti-air has improved but it could be much better. Something else that I am proud of is y late comebacks. On more than one occasion I have found myself at the "last pixel", but I managed to pull off a comeback and win the round. As for my special I tend to have a 50% chance of it landing on the opponent but when it does the damage is sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bv9eCqbYi8

This is the last match I fought tonight. I know it isn't a good example since my opponent was a jumping jack rabbit most of the match. I pretty much waited for him to come to my end and take them down. I seemed to be facing a lot of that tonight from other opponents as well as far as playing weird. I am mad that I cannot capitalize on these opponents as much as I feel like I am capable of doing so.

I haven't posted as much because I'm other playing as much, went a whole week without playing sadly :(

But when I do play I'm in training plus I read/watch stuff when I'm able. The footsies video especially has grabbed me so much so that's all I think about, to the detriment of other things. And sometimes I just feel like I'm thinking about too much.

Yesterday I felt good even if I lost more than I won but tonight I couldn't buy a win and slipped from bronze.

Oh well. My execution is suspect and I'm too fucking slow to capitalize. Sometimes when I land a hit I'm so surprised it connected I don't take advantage with a quick punish and end up losing pretty bad.

I will, however, post this because it made me feel good.

https://youtu.be/nPoAOYAi1e8

I don't know why he decided to let me out of the dizzy free, but I hope he learned never to do that again.

Mr.Pig

okay, so I have a newbie question.
What's up with the pause that stop time in the game for a fraction of a second when a character is hit? What's the gameplay purpose of this?

What's up with the pause that stop time in the game for a fraction of a second when a character is hit? What's the gameplay purpose of this?

In terms of visuals, it makes the hit seem like it had a bigger impact. EDIT: Capcom games in particular employ this to great effect.

In terms of gameplay:

(a) It gives you time to buffer in the next attack in the combo.

(b) The extra time between the next attack allows both you and the opponent to gauge whether the attack hit successfully or was blocked and react accordingly.

The "time-stop" also increases depending on how "heavy" the attack was. The game stops extremely briefly if you hit them with a light punch/light kick but it stops for just a tad longer if it's a heavy punch/kick.

I haven't posted any of my SFV footage on here, go ahead and critique my last match I had before retiring to bed tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbny_UICoo

I've been getting less anxious and have toned down on a lot of my mashing. I still need to work on execution, use of her pokes, and I hardly use Chun's V-trigger. I'll be studying for finals for the next two weeks. I'll probably learn about frame data between now until spring break when I'm taking a break from studying.

Edit: Also, I seemed to noticed that there are an ocean of Kens and Ryus sub 1000 LP. I hope higher ranks have more variety :( If i can get there.
Couple of things that immediately stood out: you're using Chun-Li's V-Skill too often. Very unsafe move to do raw as you did and better players often use it more as a set-up than anything else. Two examples I can think of: doing it as a point-blank meaty on someone's wake-up (if he/she has poor or no reversals) and going for a sweep upon landing if your enemy likes to press a button (potentially leading to a Crush Counter), or timing it so that you can go for ambiguous leg stomp cross-ups in the corner. Might also be decent to approach someone throwing fireballs with it if you get a hard read off, but the effectiveness of that might vary and that's not your only method of getting around projectiles anyways. You're also making the mistake of always doing something as soon as the round starts, in this case throwing out the V-Skill for all three rounds. Performing this no matter what the enemy could be doing is a bad habit to have, because a better player would've waited and punished accordingly due to the predictability, never mind you making yourself vulnerable for no valid reason at that point in time.

You also neglected your anti-airs that match. Almost all of Karin's jump-ins were left unchecked, so this definitely needs refining with how good Chun-Li's are. And speaking of defense: you were holding down-back a lot, so that's why you ate nearly every overhead she threw out. It'll be easier to block them if you actually walk backwards when appropriate rather than rooting yourself in place (but don't make the mistake of walking yourself into a corner) as a conscious effort to reposition yourself for better general spacing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's called a hitpause or hitstop. Besides generally creating a sense of Kinetic impact visually (this is not exclusive to fighting games), it also serves as a means of giving you more time to confirm your hit into a combo or ending/canceling into something safe in block.

Spent the last week learning Laura and wrote up some tips and thoughts, plus links to a bunch of guides. Might be handy for some of you! Now it's on to Vega.

https://medium.com/@pattheflip/lear...ie-tips-and-resources-ff1532b97a99#.p3onbhcm9
Keep up the good work, Pat!

I haven't posting as much but I have been reading daily. I have been getting a little better but I'm no where near where I want to be yet. I believe that my biggest flaws are

• Failure to execute moves consistently online.
  • Unable to stop combos that chew me up.
  • Still don't take advantage of openings like I should
  • Push too many actions when close to opponent.
I will say that I have become more patient at some points and I wait for my opponent to come to me, which is much easier since I still play exclusively as Ryu. I feel like my anti-air has improved but it could be much better. Something else that I am proud of is y late comebacks. On more than one occasion I have found myself at the "last pixel", but I managed to pull off a comeback and win the round. As for my special I tend to have a 50% chance of it landing on the opponent but when it does the damage is sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bv9eCqbYi8

This is the last match I fought tonight. I know it isn't a good example since my opponent was a jumping jack rabbit most of the match. I pretty much waited for him to come to my end and take them down. I seemed to be facing a lot of that tonight from other opponents as well as far as playing weird. I am mad that I cannot capitalize on these opponents as much as I feel like I am capable of doing so.
You have indeed gotten more patient and more grounded compared to the last videos you brought up, but I'll discuss something to keep in mind as well whenever you meet a player like that, or even better opponents.

If you do want primarily react to what the other player is doing, you need to be more pro-active about it. You had the correct idea to let the other guy destroy himself, but often you weren't in a range where you could truly capitalize on it. Waiting on the opposite end of the screen evidently wasn't productive, so you need to move to approximately the mid-screen mark. This gives you enough space to potentially react to something defensively like anti-airing, jumping over fireballs or being in arm's reach of whiffed SRK's after (if need be) a dash. Not even Dhalsim can apply pressure from nearly full-screen, so everyone has to move forwards one way or the other. That said: you also need to be mindful about players like that Ken continuously pushing buttons or mashing no matter the circumstances. This doesn't require changing your overall strategy, but you kept trying to go for combos when the next Fierce Punch Shoryuken was waiting to happen. With reckless behaviour like that, you're better off just pushing a button (be it a clean hit or not) and blocking afterwards, then going for the heavy punish since in this context he was repeatedly leaving himself wide-open to Crush Counters without a care in the world.

Do cut down on raw Critical Arts with Ryu, however. If you're not confident in your ability to link it in a combo, at least use your meter for EX Attacks to enhance combos you can pull off, expand the number of them or for more reactive options like for instance EX Hadoken vs a regular one from player 2.

I haven't posted as much because I'm other playing as much, went a whole week without playing sadly :(

But when I do play I'm in training plus I read/watch stuff when I'm able. The footsies video especially has grabbed me so much so that's all I think about, to the detriment of other things. And sometimes I just feel like I'm thinking about too much.

Yesterday I felt good even if I lost more than I won but tonight I couldn't buy a win and slipped from bronze.

Oh well. My execution is suspect and I'm too fucking slow to capitalize. Sometimes when I land a hit I'm so surprised it connected I don't take advantage with a quick punish and end up losing pretty bad.

I will, however, post this because it made me feel good.

https://youtu.be/nPoAOYAi1e8

I don't know why he decided to let me out of the dizzy free, but I hope he learned never to do that again.
Nothing to add here that hasn't already been touched upon by myself in the past or by your own observations, but do tune in for this channel when you can if time permits it:

https://www.twitch.tv/juicebox_fgc

He mains Cammy and there have been a good chunk of his viewers that he gave lessons to these past two days who also played Cammy, looking for concrete advice. Here's an example from his YouTube page, with the breakdown occurring around the 13+ minute mark. His feedback will give you a lot of insight on what makes Cammy tick in Street Fighter V.

Not by any means an expert, but I'm working on a video series dedicated to helping people completely new to the FGC learn the terms and (to an extent) fundamentals necessary to further understand/ play fighting games from the base level.

Will link it once the first episode if finished! Nothing big but I'm having fun with it!

SSReborn

Would it be a bad idea in general to teach myself combos while using negative edge? Like does it develop a bad habit in the long run?(sfv)

markwaters

Neo Member
My late Night sessions are ready for critique:

Karin and Bipson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0Mm_Q1K08

I figured I'd comment specifically on this matchup because I'm a Bison main for the moment:
- You are respecting Bison's wakeup WAY too much. Bison can't do anything about meaties/pressure/setups on wakeup without spending V-reversal or super. You are relatively free to knock him down and then maul him when he lacks either of these resources. You tend to back up in anticipation of something, but there's quite literally nothing he can do about meaty pressure except block and tech your throws. In this regard, Bison is a great character to practice your okizeme on. :p

- Things are a bit shaky in the beginning because you are getting tagged by a lot of errant hits; this Bison *loves* walking backward and tagging you with knee presses. Toward the end, you start doing a good job anticipating these situations, but keep in mind that all non-EX knee presses are negative on block (-4 LK, -3 MK, -2 HK, +1 EX), so it becomes your turn once you block. He can still block your return attacks most of the time, but you can get your pressure started. You seem to be coming out ahead in general in this set, but you can get a lot more pressure out of these situations if you start your turn with faster attacks (lp into throw or frame trap cr.mp would be ideal here) because he keeps mashing lp and stuffing or trading with your st.MK. If it's EX, though, it's still Bison's turn so keep that in mind.

- You like st.lp > st.lp > st.hp as a frame trap. It's not a bad option for tagging slow/stubby moves after the lps push you out of their effective fast normal range, but mixing it up by adding tighter traps that keep you closer to your opponent will give you more things for your opponent to worry about. With Karin, I like cr.lp > cr.mp because it leaves you safe on block and gives you a lot of options to follow up with regardless if it hits or not. You can also throw in a single st.lp/cr.lp straight into throw once in a while; once they start thinking you'll throw and are trying to tech is when you can start getting those sweet, sweet counter-hits into big damage.

- You hit a lot of jump-ins into throw, which is fine but you can get so much more! Start trying to be mindful of when jump-ins connect and maximize your damage with simple combos (cr.mp > cr.mk > qcb.hk is a good starting point). You're leaving a lot of damage on the table; some of these games would be a lot less close if you were confirming your jumps into combos. It'll come with time, but try to practice hitting your combos in these long set scenarios!

- Overall, you do a good job keeping control of the games even in scrambles and life deficits. You exploit this player's inability to anti-air quite well. Most of the time, this Bison is either playing defensively or going nuts to throw you off. In time, you'll build the instincts to manipulate players in this mode of play into giving you exactly what you want. For now, work on maximizing your opportunities; i.e. hitting combos after jumpins, hitting proper punishes, pressuring their wakeup, etc.

Femto.

Couple of things that immediately stood out: you're using Chun-Li's V-Skill too often. Very unsafe move to do raw as you did and better players often use it more as a set-up than anything else. Two examples I can think of: doing it as a point-blank meaty on someone's wake-up (if he/she has poor or no reversals) and going for a sweep upon landing if your enemy likes to press a button (potentially leading to a Crush Counter), or timing it so that you can go for ambiguous leg stomp cross-ups in the corner. Might also be decent to approach someone throwing fireballs with it if you get a hard read off, but the effectiveness of that might vary and that's not your only method of getting around projectiles anyways. You're also making the mistake of always doing something as soon as the round starts, in this case throwing out the V-Skill for all three rounds. Performing this no matter what the enemy could be doing is a bad habit to have, because a better player would've waited and punished accordingly due to the predictability, never mind you making yourself vulnerable for no valid reason at that point in time.

You also neglected your anti-airs that match. Almost all of Karin's jump-ins were left unchecked, so this definitely needs refining with how good Chun-Li's are. And speaking of defense: you were holding down-back a lot, so that's why you ate nearly every overhead she threw out. It'll be easier to block them if you actually walk backwards when appropriate rather than rooting yourself in place (but don't make the mistake of walking yourself into a corner) as a conscious effort to reposition yourself for better general spacing.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, you're right on all accounts.

When are good times to use Chun's v-skill and what other methods against projectiles does she have? Rather than throwing out a kikoken because fire ball mashing Ryus/Kens/Nashs give me the hardest of times.

As far as Chun's AAs, they're b+hk, st.lk, and st.hk right?

ShinMaruku

I figured I'd comment specifically on this matchup because I'm a Bison main for the moment:
- You are respecting Bison's wakeup WAY too much. Bison can't do anything about meaties/pressure/setups on wakeup without spending V-reversal or super. You are relatively free to knock him down and then maul him when he lacks either of these resources. You tend to back up in anticipation of something, but there's quite literally nothing he can do about meaty pressure except block and tech your throws. In this regard, Bison is a great character to practice your okizeme on. :p

- Things are a bit shaky in the beginning because you are getting tagged by a lot of errant hits; this Bison *loves* walking backward and tagging you with knee presses. Toward the end, you start doing a good job anticipating these situations, but keep in mind that all non-EX knee presses are negative on block (-4 LK, -3 MK, -2 HK, +1 EX), so it becomes your turn once you block. He can still block your return attacks most of the time, but you can get your pressure started. You seem to be coming out ahead in general in this set, but you can get a lot more pressure out of these situations if you start your turn with faster attacks (lp into throw or frame trap cr.mp would be ideal here) because he keeps mashing lp and stuffing or trading with your st.MK. If it's EX, though, it's still Bison's turn so keep that in mind.

- You like st.lp > st.lp > st.hp as a frame trap. It's not a bad option for tagging slow/stubby moves after the lps push you out of their effective fast normal range, but mixing it up by adding tighter traps that keep you closer to your opponent will give you more things for your opponent to worry about. With Karin, I like cr.lp > cr.mp because it leaves you safe on block and gives you a lot of options to follow up with regardless if it hits or not. You can also throw in a single st.lp/cr.lp straight into throw once in a while; once they start thinking you'll throw and are trying to tech is when you can start getting those sweet, sweet counter-hits into big damage.

- You hit a lot of jump-ins into throw, which is fine but you can get so much more! Start trying to be mindful of when jump-ins connect and maximize your damage with simple combos (cr.mp > cr.mk > qcb.hk is a good starting point). You're leaving a lot of damage on the table; some of these games would be a lot less close if you were confirming your jumps into combos. It'll come with time, but try to practice hitting your combos in these long set scenarios!

- Overall, you do a good job keeping control of the games even in scrambles and life deficits. You exploit this player's inability to anti-air quite well. Most of the time, this Bison is either playing defensively or going nuts to throw you off. In time, you'll build the instincts to manipulate players in this mode of play into giving you exactly what you want. For now, work on maximizing your opportunities; i.e. hitting combos after jumpins, hitting proper punishes, pressuring their wakeup, etc.

Thanks for those pointers. In playing this guy long enough I seem to be going into frame traps often. I'll keep those pointers and let him know on those things as well. :)

Thanks for the constructive feedback, you're right on all accounts.

When are good times to use Chun's v-skill and what other methods against projectiles does she have? Rather than throwing out a kikoken because fire ball mashing Ryus/Kens/Nashs give me the hardest of times.

As far as Chun's AAs, they're b+hk, st.lk, and st.hk right?
Correct about the anti-airs IIRC. As for the fireballs: the occasional EX Kikoken, neutral jumping, instant-air Lightning Legs if you want to move forwards with some relative safety and I think her slide slips under them too. Her Critical Art goes through them too, but I'm not sure if it was only on start-up or not. No clue about when to use Chun-Li's V-Skill; most of the able ones seem to be averse to it outside of a select number of situations like those two examples I mentioned.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any pointers on cancelling Ryu's light tatsu into super? I see people do it online to me all the time but I cannot do it, not even on fluke.

Wallach

Any pointers on cancelling Ryu's light tatsu into super? I see people do it online to me all the time but I cannot do it, not even on fluke.

I don't think that is a cancel. You need to make sure you recover from light tatsu before you hit the P for the super or it won't come out.

Wallach

Interesting, so it's more of a tightly timed juggle. Alright that should help.

Yeah. Basically you just want to input the QCF x 2 while tatsu is happening with roughly the speed such that right as you recover you can hit P and the super comes out while they're still in the air.

Xhorder

You know you are having a bad night when you lose three matches in a row after winning the first round in each.

Just three? :) Yesterday, I think I won one out of 10 matches or so... and one guy rage quit on me during a casual match, which actually made me feel a little better because apparently he was annoyed with my skills.

More nice tutorials I found on Youtube.
Jmcrofts makes really nice and short tutorials on most of the basic elements of SF5. I can really recommend his channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fwXacvDGAZwrg9pr1LM3wn-
(Also check his tutorial on super cancelling (someone needed help with this) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJ__KbHKGk&index=13&list=PL2N8qJGW36fwXacvDGAZwrg9pr1LM3wn-)

Vesperarcade started a new tutorial series on SF5. He starts from the complete basics. So far only two videos, but soon there will be more: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhWuF_5aE1_xHpDsJD1U2OgU4ZuAZrxp

I think this was already mentioned but First Attack covers SF5 basics in a really good way. Can't wait for more videos to come: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45-KVgrSkf4X981AoUKPlz34VNnJFhYp

so i've been playing since launch with birdie but i just can't seem to get out of super bronze, every time i get to 1200 lp i just keep losing and return to around 900 lp. I've spent every time between rounds practicing combo's but it doesnt seem to help. i notice that i never seem to react properly, when someone jumps in and i get hit i just stand there thinking why didn't i anti air with c.mp. what would be a good way to train from here?

so i've been playing since launch with birdie but i just can't seem to get out of super bronze, every time i get to 1200 lp i just keep losing and return to around 900 lp. I've spent every time between rounds practicing combo's but it doesnt seem to help. i notice that i never seem to react properly, when someone jumps in and i get hit i just stand there thinking why didn't i anti air with c.mp. what would be a good way to train from here?
Anti-airing is rather important for Birdie with his crouching MP being one of the best in the game, since his innate reversal options are lacklustre and his V-Reversal also comes out slower than most other characters'. Birdie's combos - not that they're particularly important to beating Rookie to Bronze level players right now - nor his strong grounded options won't get you very far if you can't get your enemy to respect your ability to stuff their jump-in attempts. Here's a good method to practicing your anti-air spacing and timing; Birdie's crouching fierce punch is for when your opponent is out of reach from his crouching MP, too.

Outside of that: know how to distance your buttons. His standing and crouching MK for example are good to keep people at bay, but you can end up being punished fairly easily if you do it right up in their face. Know when to apply his V-Skills too: chug donuts to gain V-Gauge when someone wants to stay far away from you since you'll be having faster access to V-Trigger if they don't come closer, drop the banana if you want to control a set area and roll the can if you want to force an action (since it goes under fireballs too) out of someone.

Anti-airing is rather important for Birdie with his crouching MP being one of the best in the game, since his innate reversal options are lacklustre and his V-Reversal also comes out slower than most other characters'. Birdie's combos - not that they're particularly important to beating Rookie to Bronze level players right now - nor his strong grounded options won't get you very far if you can't get your enemy to respect your ability to stuff their jump-in attempts. Here's a good method to practicing your anti-air spacing and timing; Birdie's crouching fierce punch is for when your opponent is out of reach from his crouching MP, too.

Outside of that: know how to distance your buttons. His standing and crouching MK for example are good to keep people at bay, but you can end up being punished fairly easily if you do it right up in their face. Know when to apply his V-Skills too: chug donuts to gain V-Gauge when someone wants to stay far away from you since you'll be having faster access to V-Trigger if they don't come closer, drop the banana if you want to control a set area and roll the can if you want to force an action (since it goes under fireballs too) out of someone.

thanks for the advice, i will try the training in the video.

z3phon

I'm probably the worst SF player in the world. I can't seem to win any matches online. Getting passed 600 LP was really challenging for me. Managed to get to 700 LP and now I'm on a losing streak. I can't seem to beat any other player higher than 600 LP.

Any useful tutorials online other then gootecks videos. I'm playing as Ryu as that what all the videos I've seen suggest for new players.

weepy

More Unbreakable Subzero problems: I'm trying out some of his more damaging combos (I have to, because if I want to get better with this character I need to get the damage the other characters are afforded for less) and a lot of peeps online says that (JIP back 1, 2 *frozen aura* back 1,2 *freeze* 2,4,2 dash 1 dash 1,2,3 *slide*) is a great BnB to learn. I agree, but I can't seem to hit the first part consistently, namely back 1,2 into frozen aura into back 1,2. It just doesn't combo IMO without meterburning it. Am I miss timing it? Is the JIP necessary? Back 1,2 should allow a free aura, right?

SlimXx

I'm probably the worst SF player in the world. I can't seem to win any matches online. Getting passed 600 LP was really challenging for me. Managed to get to 700 LP and now I'm on a losing streak. I can't seem to beat any other player higher than 600 LP.

Any useful tutorials online other then gootecks videos. I'm playing as Ryu as that what all the videos I've seen suggest for new players.

If you wanna tell your CFN name, I'd be happy to take a look at some of your replays to try and give some pointers. Or I could even look at a specific match(es) if you want to list the replay ID(s).

Zissou

Do you have any specific things you need help with? or just struggling in general?

z3phon

That would be awesome if you could take a look at one of my replays. I've only been playing Ryu in ranked so any ranked match should be fine to watch. My CFN: Zephon
I'm struggling just in general. I'm almost embarrassed to let you guys see my horrible replays but I guess I need someone to give me some pointers directly on my game and that'll help me get on the right path to improving. So you're feedback's will be tremendously helpful.

Zissou

That would be awesome if you could take a look at one of my replays. I've only been playing Ryu in ranked so any ranked match should be fine to watch. My CFN: Zephon
I'm struggling just in general. I'm almost embarrassed to let you guys see my horrible replays but I guess I need someone to give me some pointers directly on my game and that'll help me get on the right path to improving. So you're feedback's will be tremendously helpful.

I made a beginner-oriented video focused on understanding when to press buttons here, which may or may not be helpful. You mentioned you're aware of the videos Gootecks is making for newer players, but if you haven't checked it out, Pattheflip's why you lose in fighting games video is very good (his other content is good as well), especially if you want to improve your general thinking and philosophical approach to fighting games in general. Also, it will really help a lot if you play against people who are willing to give advice or get feedback based on your replays.

Josh5890

If you haven't yet, try and look out for the Prima Street Fighter V guide. It is loaded to the brim with information, frame data, and strategies. The nice thing is that if you buy the physical version you get a code for the digital version, which will update itself with new DLC characters.

The only downside to the digital version is that whatever device you want to access it with must be connected to the internet.

SlimXx

Ok, I watched some of your recent replays (focusing on the matches vs Ryu/Ken, since you'll see so many at your current rank), and it looks like you're pretty much just starting out.

So, I've got good news and bad news, and they're both the same: you need to spend more time in Training Mode before you try to win matches in Ranked. This may sound a bit harsh, but watching your replays (particularly with the key display turned on), it appears you are hitting buttons mostly at random (with an extra special love of low heavy kick), with no real idea of how each attack works, what combos into what, ranges, etc.

Go into Training Mode and just try out each button, standing, crouching, jumping in each direction. Get a feel for how fast each attack is and how long the range is so you have an idea of which attack(s) work well at which times. You an get by without ever using any actual combos at all if your poking game is strong.

Speaking of combos, practice a couple basic ones until you can do them comfortably without dropping them. Let me stress that: basic combos; don't try to start by doing some fancy/max damage combo you might see in a video. It's good to have one very simple, reliable combo (like low MK into HP fireball) you can count on in several situations. It may not do a lot of damage, but it'll add up if you can land it consistently. Even in a situation where your opponent leaves themselves completely open (like whiffing a dragon punch), it's still better to use a simple combo you never flub than it is to try to do something bigger and drop it.

And speaking of the opponent leaving themselves open, the best way to handle matches at the rank you are in is usually to play patiently and carefully and let your opponent hang themselves. At that rank, a lot of players will, well, do what you are doing: press unsafe attacks and jump around with no real gameplan. Relax. In the replays I watched, you sometimes pressed a heavy kick while in the air way above your opponent's head where it couldn't possibly hit, or whiffed throws or low HK after you had blocked your opponent's HP dragon punch when you could have landed a massive damage punish.

Don't press buttons just to press something. Timing and defense is incredibly important in Street Fighter. If you go in playing very very carefully and defensively, some opponents will catch on and start to throw you a lot, but you will often return that damage to them three-fold with one simple punish after they mash out a dragon punch on wake-up and you stand there and block.

I can give some more Ryu-focused tips if you decide you want to stick with him, but the stuff I've written above is mostly general beginner ideas. If you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing, please feel free to post and I (and likely others) would be glad to help.

z3phon

I made a beginner-oriented video focused on understanding when to press buttons here, which may or may not be helpful. You mentioned you're aware of the videos Gootecks is making for newer players, but if you haven't checked it out, Pattheflip's why you lose in fighting games video is very good (his other content is good as well), especially if you want to improve your general thinking and philosophical approach to fighting games in general. Also, it will really help a lot if you play against people who are willing to give advice or get feedback based on your replays.
Thanks I'll check those videos out.
Yeah I'm realizing now how helpful getting feedback on my replays can be. With the feedback below from SlimXx I have a more clear idea of the things I need to work on.
Especially for someone like me who's completely new to the game its tremendously helpful.

Ok, I watched some of your recent replays (focusing on the matches vs Ryu/Ken, since you'll see so many at your current rank), and it looks like you're pretty much just starting out.

So, I've got good news and bad news, and they're both the same: you need to spend more time in Training Mode before you try to win matches in Ranked. This may sound a bit harsh, but watching your replays (particularly with the key display turned on), it appears you are hitting buttons mostly at random (with an extra special love of low heavy kick), with no real idea of how each attack works, what combos into what, ranges, etc.

Go into Training Mode and just try out each button, standing, crouching, jumping in each direction. Get a feel for how fast each attack is and how long the range is so you have an idea of which attack(s) work well at which times. You an get by without ever using any actual combos at all if your poking game is strong.

Speaking of combos, practice a couple basic ones until you can do them comfortably without dropping them. Let me stress that: basic combos; don't try to start by doing some fancy/max damage combo you might see in a video. It's good to have one very simple, reliable combo (like low MK into HP fireball) you can count on in several situations. It may not do a lot of damage, but it'll add up if you can land it consistently. Even in a situation where your opponent leaves themselves completely open (like whiffing a dragon punch), it's still better to use a simple combo you never flub than it is to try to do something bigger and drop it.

And speaking of the opponent leaving themselves open, the best way to handle matches at the rank you are in is usually to play patiently and carefully and let your opponent hang themselves. At that rank, a lot of players will, well, do what you are doing: press unsafe attacks and jump around with no real gameplan. Relax. In the replays I watched, you sometimes pressed a heavy kick while in the air way above your opponent's head where it couldn't possibly hit, or whiffed throws or low HK after you had blocked your opponent's HP dragon punch when you could have landed a massive damage punish.

Don't press buttons just to press something. Timing and defense is incredibly important in Street Fighter. If you go in playing very very carefully and defensively, some opponents will catch on and start to throw you a lot, but you will often return that damage to them three-fold with one simple punish after they mash out a dragon punch on wake-up and you stand there and block.

I can give some more Ryu-focused tips if you decide you want to stick with him, but the stuff I've written above is mostly general beginner ideas. If you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing, please feel free to post and I (and likely others) would be glad to help.
I'll start with saying thanks a lot for taking the time to check my replay. At this point any news is good news really and it's not harsh at all. It's evident in my replay if that's how i'm playing it, only helps me hearing someone telling me that.

One thing that you that you mentioned really helps me is to focus on just the basic stuff and basic combos. What ever time I did spend in training mode I wasted trying to learn the more complex combos which when in a actual match I'd always completely forget.
Yup I'd definitely stick with Ryu to learn the fundamentals. So any tips regarding him is welcome.
Everything you mentioned makes total sense and I'll focus on addressing each of the things you pointed out. It'll probably take me time to work on all those things but atleast now thanks to your reply I have a clearer idea of the things I was doing wrong.
Thanks a lot for the reply It seriously helped a lot.

I'll start with saying thanks a lot for taking the time to check my replay. At this point any news is good news really and it's not harsh at all. It's evident in my replay if that's how i'm playing it, only helps me hearing someone telling me that.

One thing that you that you mentioned really helps me is to focus on just the basic stuff and basic combos. What ever time I did spend in training mode I wasted trying to learn the more complex combos which when in a actual match I'd always completely forget.
Yup I'd definitely stick with Ryu to learn the fundamentals. So any tips regarding him is welcome.
Everything you mentioned makes total sense and I'll focus on addressing each of the things you pointed out. It'll probably take me time to work on all those things but atleast now thanks to your reply I have a clearer idea of the things I was doing wrong.
Thanks a lot for the reply It seriously helped a lot.
Without having looked at your replays: a rule of thumb every newcomer needs to keep in mind, is that combos don't mean everything when you're at the lower skill levels. Conscious decision-making is borderline non-existent in Rookie - Bronze so the key to victory often boils down to making the right call and having a basic understanding of defense. The latter doesn't mean blocking exclusively; this concept extends to anti-airing properly and appropriately punishing the many unsafe habits running rampant in those Rank tiers. This alone has gotten my (at the time) incredibly basic Dhalsim to Super Silver, with a more fleshed out version of this principle (as well as rudimentary offense) bringing me close to Gold.

Examples: if you are approaching someone by jumping towards them all the time, be it to cope with projectiles or simply inching your way closer regardless of the actual gap between you two, you are doing it wrong. This alone - which you may or may not already have been doing prior to asking feedback, - takes away a lot of opportunities to actively control the flow of a fight since you are removing options on your own accord with how you can react to someone. In this scenario, dashing or simply walking forwards at a given moment will suffice to achieve the same end result, though obviously dependant on how a particular character has been tuned in this regard. With this in mind, you now have more freedom in how you defend! Someone does a random jump-in? Perform a grounded anti-air such as Ryu's crouching Fierce Punch or a Shoryuken if you've been anticipating it. Noticed your enemy likes to resort to jumping Hard Kick into sweep? Intentionally block it and punish after the sweep with how long it takes to recover on block, especially if they don't care about ideal spacing. A Ken or Cammy like to throw out random SRK's or Cannon Spikes? Move in within their range, start playing more defensively (with the occasional single poke added to the mix) until they slip up and punish them with a Crush Counter follow-up. A pesky Nash chucking Sonic Booms ad nauseam? Get a feel for his predictable pattern, use an EX Hadoken and close whatever distance you can afterwards to pressure your opponent.

These are all straight-forward counter-responses and it won't always be as cut-and-dry in a live match, but having a simple understanding of what to do in a general sense and thus having a gameplan in mind (which eventually develops per character) is an important stepping stone in honing your abilities. Start recognizing circumstances like these, figure out a course of action and move on from there. Once you start getting more comfortable with a pro-active thought process like the above, then you can focus your efforts on more elaborate set-ups, or punishments, or how to push someone to the corner more aggressively. There's obviously more you could be working on, but you catch my drift. This is where the Training Mode comes in handy: use it to visualize the space an attack of yours can occupy, to accustom yourself to the timing of specific moves and to gradually work on your consistency (on both sides!) of a simple combo in order to reduce the amount of thinking it takes for you to execute it.

It does take time, but just go out at it at your own pace and be sure to keep asking yourself what could've been done differently if something inevitably went wrong.

SlimXx

I would suggest you go to Replay Search, Search Using Replay ID, and look up replay ID 1B9AD05

Now, there's nothing particularly special about this match, but that's exactly the point. Try to watch the match actively, rather than passively.

Note the way this Ryu plays. Very few jumps, straightforward attacks when in range, a simple but effective gameplan utilizing primarily Ryu's most versatile normal attack (standing MP). He did a lot of blocking without trying to press too many buttons when it wasn't safe to do so. He had one of Ryu's most useful basic combos down pretty well: standing MP, linked into another standing MP, canceled into fireball or hurricane kick. He also used an easy Crush Counter combo (standing HK CC, standing HK again, link standing LK, cancel into LK hurricane kick) when Ken whiffed a dragon punch.

Mind you, this Ryu player still made plenty of mistakes. He tried more than once to link a crouching HK after two standing MPs (it will only link if the MP is a counter hit, which obviously can't happen on the second one in the sequence). He never used an anti-air dragon punch or crouching HP when Ken jumped in (though he did do a good job of blocking, at least). He made very little use of his V Trigger. He tried to punish a blocked dragon punch with standing HK crush counter but did it too early, causing his follow-up to whiff. Etc. Someone that knows Ryu better than I do could probably tell you many more mistakes, as well.

Again, it's not that you should specifically aim to emulate this particular Ryu player, but it should give you a good idea of a basic Ryu gameplan at your current level. Even the relatively simple combos that he did might still be difficult for you to perform consistently right now. That's fine; practice simpler versions if you need to, then try to work your way up. Ryu's standing MP is a fantastic attack, so you should definitely become comfortable with its range, speed, and combo possibilities.

I am far from a Ryu expert, but this will hopefully give you a bit of a starting point.

Hey everyone, I'm an ooooold school SF player trying to get back into it (haven't played since Third Strike was big in arcades), and I've discovered that I am horrendously out of practice. I've been beating my head against training for a while, and concluded that I am rubbish at combos (it seems much harder than 3S). Does any have any suggestions for which character I should focus on that is not particularly combo dependent? As much as I'd like to play a mobile character like Cammy, I'm thinking a grappler is probably my best bet, since I just don't seem to have the execution for a combo heavy character and I can just SPD or chain grab in lieu of combo punishes. Any suggestions appreciated.

wrongway

Hey everyone, I'm an ooooold school SF player trying to get back into it (haven't played since Third Strike was big in arcades), and I've discovered that I am horrendously out of practice. I've been beating my head against training for a while, and concluded that I am rubbish at combos (it seems much harder than 3S). Does any have any suggestions for which character I should focus on that is not particularly combo dependent? As much as I'd like to play a mobile character like Cammy, I'm thinking a grappler is probably my best bet, since I just don't seem to have the execution for a combo heavy character and I can just SPD or chain grab in lieu of combo punishes. Any suggestions appreciated.

I've found Cammy's actually pretty friendly despite my rather poor mechanics. She has a few solid short combos that are easy to do. Here's a newbie game I recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0e2teiX7Q&index=22&list=PLQGhp23HlbfL18PBxOJol45DwSjpco4LY

She's fun, give her a go if you think she suits you :D

Birdie is relatively light on combos and all about making the right decisions or reads. Difficult to play well given his natural weaknesses, but he's a good character to help focus on other matters besides execution with. Tied with Zangief for the highest health in the game too, so you have some breathing room when making mistakes.

Top Bottom