• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fighting Game Noob Thread: From Scrub to Master

markwaters

Neo Member
I was also told I play like I am not comfortable with the characters as well. I'll try to keep those in mind.

I can see a little bit of that too, but that's remedied by playing more in general. The one thing you have to look out for is keeping in mind the tools that are available to your character at any given time. Your lack of familiarity/comfort makes you want to go to the same handful of options that you know can work for you, which is a pretty natural point in progressing as a player. You just want to avoid getting stuck there.

The best thing you can do at this point is try to evaluate your own games in real time. You're at least reviewing your play after the fact already, and that's great! But try to ask yourself questions and evaluate your play while the match is going on, and then practice expanding your options in casual play and in training mode. The first step is being able to actively critique your own play as it happens -- if you're thinking things like, "what can I do in this situation?" or "I should have done ____ there instead", then you're on the right track. If you're having trouble with a specific situation or don't know what the full range of your options are, you can always ask more experienced players or this thread (Crab Milk Mickey makes some amazing, in-depth posts in response to these types of questions). The second step is building the awareness, muscle memory, and confidence to execute your newly expanded options with practice.

It's a process, but I think it's a lot of fun when the things you've been learning/practicing come together and manifest in your gameplay.

ohkay

I was also told I play like I am not comfortable with the characters as well. I'll try to keep those in mind.
I only watched your Cammy, and I can see that. On top of what was already said, I think you need to poke more, pick better/safer buttons, and work on some kind of plan on their wake up. As for poking with Cammy, st. mk and cr. mk are really good. Along those lines, I think why people would say you don't look comfortable is because you seem to be pressing the wrong buttons, along with the frantic cannon spikes. I noticed a few times you would press cr. hp or cr. hk (both are minus on block, with sweep being very unsafe on block) at ranges where something safer could've been used, like cr. mp. Learn what ranges your buttons work at, and the situations where they're good. For Canmy, if you're in close range, you wanna be using her lp and mp fairly often as these are safe and lead into some combos if you can confirm. Cammy's game plan really requires constant pressure, and whenever you got a knockdown, you seemed very tentative and would walk away and stayed at a range where you would be put back into the neutral game. You need to keep in their face as much as possible with meaty setups, throws, cross ups, etc. to keep the pressure on, just beware if they have an invincible reversal.

I feel like you were leaving your v trigger/meter unused a lot too. Like you said, against the Vega, you could've jumped in more since he wasn't doing anything about it, and v trigger/meter means you could use ex divekicks to get in safely. Also, in general, I feel like you were staying too far away at a range where they wouldn't really be able to hit you, but neither could you. I'd challenge them more with some pokes. As for the Zangief, I've found that a good answer to the charge hp is to counter poke it with a st. hp. It's a lot less risky than the cannon spikes you punished with (and whiffed a few times), and you could buffer it into a spiral arrow to get some better positioning. Also, for both of these matches you need to remember that neither have good wake up options, so you can keep the pressure on after getting a knockdown instead of backing away.

I'm learning Laura.

This is the fruits of tonight's training sesh. Been playing her for all of a day and I'm liking her.

http://youtu.be/dFH79k_rR14

Advice would be welcome.

Here's a ranked match set as Laura. Look how I progress the more the fight goes on. I can't believe I've only been playing her for a day and I can tangle with 1000 lp players. Still can't win with her but I'm not too far off.

http://youtu.be/w_zh360wFjU

2 decent sets with my friend:critique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VNM9_Yep0
Cammy vs Gief
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlZmKJu624
Karin vs Gief

Karin is my main.
Within the first 10 - 20 seconds in the Cammy - Zangief video, a couple of things already stand out. You use special moves too much; using Hooligan to close in on someone from nearly full-screen is a bad idea due to how much time there is to punish it, and in Zangief's case all he had to do was a standing jab (including when you throw out a Cannon Strike) to put you in a 50-50 mix-up when you touch the ground. Spiral Arrows and Cannon Spikes were also used too frequently without proper hit confirming, and you only left yourself wide-open for hard punishes which the Zangief admittedly didn't capitalize on. Wake-up Super is also a bad habit to have; might work once every blue moon after a long match / set when player conditioning has taken place, in the sense they might block out that option as a possible counter-attack since more experienced players will know exactly how costly this risk can be when it backfires. In the case of the first round: effectively KO'ing yourself in conjunction with depraving yourself of resources for the next round. The subsequent rounds just further highlight your mash-y nature and come the second match, it became clear as day that these sort of random hits (with a sporadic throw) are your only primary source of damage, if not the only one.

The same sort of fundamental issues persist with your Karin, despite her special moves being even more unsafe. Constantly leaving yourself extremely vulnerable like detailed above or with careless jump-ins isn't how you play Street Fighter, least of all with characters like those two that not only have good walking speed, but also strong pokes. What you need to be doing instead, especially against an immobile character like Zangief, is play the grounded game and stay at approximately the mid-screen range. Given how easily Karin and Cammy can manoeuvre themselves, from here you can easily weave in and out of certain ranges depending on how he behaves, and react to whatever offense he attempts to mount. Both these characters can also use their longest normals (for example: standing medium kick) whenever he attempts to move forward, and whenever you do score a knockdown, that's where you can go for mix-ups since his defensive capabilities (like many other characters) are virtually non-existent. Meaties, short blockstrings into a throw or other such frame traps, cross-ups, pushing him into the corner, the works. Of course you have to be mindful to any kind of adaptions such as which quick-rise is being used, whether the opposing player is likely to use V-Reversals and the speed of your own moves (since for example you could be jabbed out of them) among other considerations, but what I'm getting here is that none of the above is a part of your gameplay right now.

Long story short: have some composure and make conscious decisions, rather than executing something consequences be damned.

Two ranked sets of my own:

vs Vega

This dude I know is a good player. I just couldn't get anything started. There are a couple of standouts, though: for one, I didn't anti-air enough. I did get some spikes in but for the most part he gets away with jumping too many times. In general, though, I should've gone in far more. He wasn't anti-airing me either too much.

vs Zangief

This was a grueling set. Standouts include trying to punish hard punches with dps for maximum greed. But the good thing was that my antiairs were quite on point and I was mostly good at keeping Gief out. The second round for the first match saw me going in a bit after screwing up the first round and a good share of the second round. I knew it was risky but on the other hand, I was at a massive life loss and wanted some advantage so Gief won't just sit on his lifelead for the whole match.

If there's something I haven't noticed, someone could check those clips. But mostly I'm just writing these notes for myself in public.

I also notice the mic audio is amazingly early but you can mute the audio. The game audio is fine, though.
I get the impression your neutral game against the Vega is underdeveloped. Granted, Cammy can't really press her usual advantage of being able to outpace her opponent on the ground with her walking speed as hard (since Vega's is even better) but I didn't see you contest any of his buttons. He was free to push anything with no threat of you trying to whiff punish or pre-emptively stuff his next normal, regardless of his stance. In a corner this kind of prudence (which can still be taken too far mind you) is entirely understandable, but that's a different matter entirely. Secondly: once you did get in closer, you gave him too much respect. After a limited blockstring you backed off on numerous occasions without him retaliating much, thus resetting it to the neutral where he dominated you from the get-go and there were very few high-low mix-ups coming from you. This in itself is a huge shortcoming, because Vega has little in the way of reliable anti-airs or innate reversal options once pressured. It's fine to try and anticipate something like how you tried to coax him into jumping, but he never really took the bait since he had nothing to worry about. If you had pressed forwards, aiming to get him in the corner or simply entering his personal space, the flow would've been entirely different. I've also noticed you were hardly using your meters; you sat on your resources in vain, whereas if (for example) you had use some for EX Cannon Strike, he would've been forced to make a decision on the spot when blocked since it's safe. To elaborate: from there you can continue setting a rhythm with frame traps, including a throw after a brief block string, Cannon Spike or shimmy him if he's inclined to push a button to counter your grab et cetera. The V-Trigger can naturally also help you with this, otherwise you could've attempted to turn the table around with a V-Reversal once you were cornered.

The lack of footsies is evident in the Zangief video too and you repeatedly had your back against a wall by your own doing. In essence, again, there isn't anything inherently wrong with caution against a character like him, but you positioned yourself in such a manner that neither of you could really hit one another. You even let him walk out of the corner at one point free-of-charge due to your reluctance to not move backwards. There was the Critical Art against his lariat at one point, sure, but how often are you going to pull that off generally speaking? What if the Zangief simply walked forwards without pushing many a button, recognizing that you were skittish to take matters into your own hands? You'd be in the same conundrum without much of an opening, while making your movement options more predictable in the process. You need to be more assertive; recognize a character's weaknesses, see how a player behaves and do something that isn't strictly reactionary when applicable. Much like versus Vega, you typically didn't capitalize on Zangief's poor wake-up options; look at what you did in the second round of the second match for a step in the right direction. Cross-ups could've also worked given the slow start-up of his lariat. One final note: your anti-airs were all Cannon Spikes, neglecting how good her b. MP is when a jump-in was beyond the reach of the former.

I'm learning Laura.

This is the fruits of tonight's training sesh. Been playing her for all of a day and I'm liking her.

Advice would be welcome.

Here's a ranked match set as Laura. Look how I progress the more the fight goes on. I can't believe I've only been playing her for a day and I can tangle with 1000 lp players. Still can't win with her but I'm not too far off.

One quick tip against Vega that I also posted in the other thread: simply neutral / backwards jumping and air-to-airing his wall dives is surprisingly effective in SFV, with how much time the game gives you to react to it this time around. If he tries it again on knockdown, I believe you can backdash since it's not a true loop, otherwise you need to quick-rise to avoid it entirely. Speaking of jumping: eventually you realized that neutral jumping was effective against him, and baiting out a move in such a manner is a rule-of-thumb that pays off big time for Laura against opponents that are keen on pressing buttons all the time. To add to that: he would've also been susceptible to meaties, projectile set-ups and Crush Counters with Laura's st. HK after a knockdown, since he was the type of player that was exclusively fixated on his offense. Tick throws with her command grab ought to have also been effective.

Lastly, you were too patient sometimes but I'm sure that's due to general unfamiliarity with Laura for the time being. In the first Vega match for example, he repeatedly went for his target combo with his standing roundhouse whiffing you more than once as you were crouching, but he wasn't punished for it. Doesn't necessarily have to be a combo since I know Laura's are apparently limited; any button press would've sufficed to help keep him in check. With a character like Laura who has very few defensive options, this is going to be crucial, even moreso if you don't have a V-Reversal in tow.

Can't really add much more since you were indeed adapting and trying different things, plus I'm not too familiar with her unfortunately.

markwaters

Neo Member
I'm learning Laura.

Advice would be welcome.

Oh no! Vega got you with the flying barcelona infinite! T_T

In both games, I saw that you are giving up your turns and letting your opponent press you when you had options. Specifically, Laura has a 3f jab that cancels into LP/EX bolt charge, and also allows her to start frame trap/command grab mixups. She doesn't have to take most -1/-2 unsafe pressure like some characters do. You just have to look out for reverals/armored moves. I think that's why you were hesitating in the Laura mirror.

Against Vega, it's trickier, as his unclawed normals are mostly +1 or +2, so you sometimes have to sit tight and look out for command grab. However, when this Vega in particular wasn't doing flying barcelona, he was pressing hella buttons, pushing himself out, and then walking right back in with no answers from you. He was ending a lot of his offense with the MP > HK target combo, which is insanely unsafe (HK by itself is -1 though). Most characters don't have great throw range in V, so once they're pushed out, you can usually respond unless you think they might do something crazy.

And regarding flying barcelona, Laura can HP bolt charge it, v-skill dash under it, air-to-air it, and generally avoid it if Vega didn't combo it. I saw you dash out of it after taking it a couple times, so it's likely just a matter of getting familiar with the situation.

Overall, I think you probably just need a few Laura games under your belt to learn the flow of her game plan. Laura has decently fast but stubby normals, huge reset potential, and she can get a lot started once they're afraid of command grab.

Some easy-to-learn things that I think are useful are:
- st.MP, HP bolt charge, and jump back LP are your anti-airs. HP bolt charge is upper body invincible, so don't take no shit from anybody who's jumping in. st.MP can give you some cool resets and pressure with command dash or thunder clap. I'm really fond of LP thunder clap, then walk up and throw before it hits while they're proximity blocking it. YMMV.

- cr.MK is probably Laura's best poke along with st.HK, but I like cr.MK in footsies more. I buffer LP bolt charge into it to hit people walking forward or dashing for simple option select. If they're not there, it doesn't come out. If they block, you're at -2 up close, which is still OK in most matchups. If it hits, you're +2 and it's time to be annoying. If you use it as an OS against people advancing on you, it almost always hits, so it's a great tool.

- cr.HP is very fast (7f) and hits from pretty far, so you can use it to punish all types of things into MP bolt charge, EX thunder clap (into sweep or st.MK command dash reset), or straight into critical art. It's also -2, so it's very safe for a H normal. You can also confirm it into v-trigger for more combo potential.

- st.MP is +3 on block. cr.MP has a 5f startup and is +2. This frame trap is *amazing* up close. And you can use raw st.MP to threaten a lot of other things in her arsenal too. It's a real good, but real stubby move. Once you get the hang of Laura, you will be pressing it a lot.

I think that's it. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice Crab Milk and Mark Waters. Some of it I'm familiar with like her AA buttons and specials but I just need to lab it.

Great moves up there Mark. Very useful!

Getting used to her command grab. Its hitbox range is really really small and I'm having trouble hitting it sometimes or I just forget because I've never put serious time into a command grab character.

Now that we have lobbies with multiple people and spectating I want to set up a footsies how to session as well as our first SFV Noobies tournament. A more experienced player would be great addition to help teach footsies to the gang.

I'd like to get something started sometime this week.

Hello GAF FGC. I have quit a problem with VS Fighting since I was I child. It's not about footsies or mindgame or bad habits but more like trouble to get combos working.

I'm actually on challenge mode in Street Fighter V with Ken and I really can't win this last challenge (St.HP to V-skill to Chin Buster to Strong Hadoken to V-Trigger to Strong Hadoken to CA), it's just too fast for me and it's even worse with this 360 controller. And Ken (which is my current main) is not my worst score in this mode. I even barely do 5/10 with some characters or even less ! The only one that I'm proud of is Cammy with a 10/10

I know challenge mode combos are not that useful in a real match but the fact that I struggle so much show I need to progress but I don't know how. The worse I think is to pull of a CA after some specials.

Hello GAF FGC. I have quit a problem with VS Fighting since I was I child. It's not about footsies or mindgame or bad habits but more like trouble to get combos working.

I'm actually on challenge mode in Street Fighter V with Ken and I really can't win this last challenge (St.HP to V-skill to Chin Buster to Strong Hadoken to V-Trigger to Strong Hadoken to CA), it's just too fast for me and it's even worse with this 360 controller. And Ken (which is my current main) is not my worst score in this mode. I even barely do 5/10 with some characters or even less ! The only one that I'm proud of is Cammy with a 10/10

I know challenge mode combos are not that useful in a real match but the fact that I struggle so much show I need to progress but I don't know how. The worse I think is to pull of a CA after some specials.

What parts are you having trouble with specifically? Remember with combos that it's best to work in sections. Try and learn how to do st.HP to V-skill to Chin buster. Then chin buster to hadoken to v-trigger to hadoken. Try it in chunks and then try to put it all together.

In regards to pulling of CA after some specials. Let's take Ryu for instance. You can do QCF+P to do the hadoken and then do another QCF+P and the super should come out because you have the previous input buffered. You don't have to do another 2 QCFs after the fireball. Same goes with SRK motion into CA. So it's F, D, DF+P and then D, DF, F+P.

I'm not sure if I've explained that very well but hopefully it helps.

Played a ranked set with UM | Tyrant two days ago and got kind of bopped. Uploaded the replay to YouTube and hoping someone can take a look and give me some advice to up my game.

Game 1

Game 2

Thanks!

Edit: Ignore the watermark. I had no idea Shadowplay did that by default lol.

What parts are you having trouble with specifically? Remember with combos that it's best to work in sections. Try and learn how to do st.HP to V-skill to Chin buster. Then chin buster to hadoken to v-trigger to hadoken. Try it in chunks and then try to put it all together.

In regards to pulling of CA after some specials. Let's take Ryu for instance. You can do QCF+P to do the hadoken and then do another QCF+P and the super should come out because you have the previous input buffered. You don't have to do another 2 QCFs after the fireball. Same goes with SRK motion into CA. So it's F, D, DF+P and then D, DF, F+P.

I'm not sure if I've explained that very well but hopefully it helps.

I really can't pull hadoken + the CA, to make the combo working you still need to do the two qcf really fast and while doing that I do sometimes shoryuken or even an crouching punch.

Also after the V-skill, sometimes the chin buster don't connect, and I really don't know why

I really can't pull hadoken + the CA, to make the combo working you still need to do the two qcf really fast and while doing that I do sometimes shoryuken or even an crouching punch.

Also after the V-skill, sometimes the chin buster don't connect, and I really don't know why

You don't have to be that fast. Honestly just try an average pace doing two QCFs but after each press punch. I find it easier to press 2 different punch buttons. So try QCF+HP then QCF+LP. Keep at it, you'll get there.

The V-Skill -> Chin Buster is quite a weird link. You'll just have to keep at it to get the timing down. Just remember, if it doesn't come out then it's too early. If it's blocked then it's too late.

There's shortcuts you can take to help lower the amount of dexterity needed for a given combo. What Gipsy said about CA inputs after a special attack is true, and you can perform something like crouching medium kick into Hadoken in one motion too, as briefly showcased here. Both these 'tricks' significantly lower the difficulty, and past that point it's merely acquiring the muscle memory for it, which admittedly does take time regardless of your preferred controller.

Played a ranked set with UM | Tyrant two days ago and got kind of bopped. Uploaded the replay to YouTube and hoping someone can take a look and give me some advice to up my game.

Game 1

Game 2

Thanks!
Seems like you simply weren't familiar with Bison overall, as in when he was safe / unsafe and how to adequately punish or react to the stomp + Devil Reverse hijinx.

For something more informational that discusses how to cope vs Bison at length, I recommend checking out Juicebox's video.

Seems like you simply weren't familiar with Bison overall, as in when he was safe / unsafe and how to adequately punish or react to the stomp + Devil Reverse hijinx.

For something more informational that discusses how to cope vs Bison at length, I recommend checking out Juicebox's video.

Thanks. You're right. I get sucker punched by Devils Reverse and the stomp and need to work on beating those out. I'm getting better at not pressing buttons when he uses the knee and df.HP. Just need to work at it.

Thanks for the video link. Will check it out.

markwaters

Neo Member

Game 1

Game 2

Thanks!

Edit: Ignore the watermark. I had no idea Shadowplay did that by default lol.

What Crab Milk Mickey said is pretty true. You look a bit lost and he controlled the games because of it.

As a Bison main, let me touch on some specific stuff that might help you:
1. Devil's reverse is +2, so your best bet is to just late tech if you have to block it. He can't really get much started unless you press stuff. EX devil's reverse (it flashes and hits twice) is +12, so you have to be real careful about that one, but the same general advice applies. You can probably command dash out from under them if you're expecting them, but it looks like he was surprising you a lot. Bison is very linear. He wants to trick you out of taking your turn.

2. Psycho Axe (df.HP) is +1, so it can't get a whole lot started (you can force a trade with cr.LP in the worst case scenario), but it brings him closer while allowing Bipson to charge and get some pressure going. However, Tyrant was using the st.MP > df.HP target combo (Shadow Axe) a lot, which is -5 and you can blow it up with cr.MP or st.MP if it closes in on you. That's something it looked like he thought you did not know, and he was right. :p

3. He was spacing his knee presses very, very well, but any LK/MK knee press that you block and ends up too close can be punished with cr.LP by Karin. LK knee press is -4 but pushes Bison out kinda far, and MK keeps him pretty close and is -3. He did a good job here, but after a knee press, it's always your turn. You were using st.MK, which wasn't giving you much and pushing him back out to play neutral and harass you more. As for the other knee presses, HK knee press is -2, but it's so slow that you can usually just jab/EX Rassenha him out of it even if he canceled into it. EX is +1, so treat it like you would Psycho Axe -- Bison is never in throw range after EX, so don't worry about that unless he steps in slightly after you block it.

4. This is more of a playstyle/yomi/meta thing than a matchup/Bison thing, but once he got in your head, he basically tricked you into going on offense and then brick walled you with neutral jumps and psycho blast. He wasn't anti-airing very well, but he was blocking your jump-ins and you weren't getting much after. I would have liked to see more tick throws to make your frame traps more scary. He caught on real early that you were trying to hit MPs into tenko and not much else. Once you're in, Bison has nothing he can do except V-reversal or super, so don't be afraid to just stay in his face.

That said, and while I play a bit differently than Tyrant (and he's probably a bit more experienced than I am), I think Karin can play this matchup defensively and come out ahead once you're more comfortable in the scrambles and with Bison's pressure. I have the most trouble with Karins who play slow or mix it up between playing slow and going in hard.

markwaters

Neo Member
Are there any intermediate or better players who frequent this thread, can netplay smoothly with someone from Chicago, and are willing to crack it out and play a few games with me in the coming weeks?

I have not been taking SFV seriously enough since I'm impatiently awaiting Urien's seemingly far away release. I'm playing Bison in the interim and experimenting with everyone else, but there are tons of cracks and flaws in my game that I really, really want to iron out. Ranked/casual matchmaking can only do so much; I feel like a lot of players are relying heavily on gimmicks, and I'm not getting the experience I need to handle a lot of situations and matchups. I don't even really enjoy playing ranked because even when I face gold/platinum players, they seem to just want to random you out. It's good to learn how to deal with crazy stuff, but not to get solid at the game. I'd like to get a few online training partners!

I'm also happy to play with beginners and join the teaching lobbies/sessions since I still have a lot to learn myself!

Are there any intermediate or better players who frequent this thread, can netplay smoothly with someone from Chicago, and are willing to crack it out and play a few games with me in the coming weeks?

I have not been taking SFV seriously enough since I'm impatiently awaiting Urien's seemingly far away release. I'm playing Bison in the interim and experimenting with everyone else, but there are tons of cracks and flaws in my game that I really, really want to iron out. Ranked/casual matchmaking can only do so much; I feel like a lot of players are relying heavily on gimmicks, and I'm not getting the experience I need to handle a lot of situations and matchups. I don't even really enjoy playing ranked because even when I face gold/platinum players, they seem to just want to random you out. It's good to learn how to deal with crazy stuff, but not to get solid at the game. I'd like to get a few online training partners!

I'm also happy to play with beginners and join the teaching lobbies/sessions since I still have a lot to learn myself!

I'm the same boat as you, but I'm west coast USA and not sure how the connection would be. I'm on every night though if you ever want to play. Would love more training partners, as I haven't really played with many GAF players yet. I'm not seeing much activity on GAF's PS4 community.

I feel the same way that you do over casual / ranked, though. I feel like I'm starting to hit that intermediate wall, and I'm struggling to get passed it.

Calling all players. Sign up for this weekends training session.

We will be doing First to 5, full lobby. We will be dishing out tips, critiques. I need some other people volunteer, since I'm not exactly qualified to teach ANYONE fighting games yet.

We will be streaming on our twitch for posterity and recording so you can review at a later date.

I'm shooting at Saturday or Sunday. Whatever time is best for everyone.

You don't have to be that fast. Honestly just try an average pace doing two QCFs but after each press punch. I find it easier to press 2 different punch buttons. So try QCF+HP then QCF+LP. Keep at it, you'll get there.

The V-Skill -> Chin Buster is quite a weird link. You'll just have to keep at it to get the timing down. Just remember, if it doesn't come out then it's too early. If it's blocked then it's too late.

There's shortcuts you can take to help lower the amount of dexterity needed for a given combo. What Gipsy said about CA inputs after a special attack is true, and you can perform something like crouching medium kick into Hadoken in one motion too, as briefly showcased here. Both these 'tricks' significantly lower the difficulty, and past that point it's merely acquiring the muscle memory for it, which admittedly does take time regardless of your preferred controller.

Thanks for your advices now I managed to complete this mode with Ken !

Now I've got another problem with Ryu, I can't crouch MP to Shoryuken with inputting a hadoken or a CA, how you do it ?

Thanks for your advices now I managed to complete this mode with Ken !

Now I've got another problem with Ryu, I can't crouch MP to Shoryuken with inputting a hadoken or a CA, how you do it ?

Try doing this.

do the cr.MP while doing a down-forward motion, not a down motion. Then do a regular hadoken.

The game will "auto-correct" it to think you did a shoryuken and that move will come out.

so it's df.mp xx qcf+p

J-Roderton

Awesome thread. I'm working on not being total crap at fighters. Been playing DOA5 and went through about half of the tutorial.

Thing is I'm learning the moves and remembering how to pull them off during rounds I still end up mashing away just trying to land any attacks.

How do you get better at knowing what attack to throw at any given time? Like high punch, low kick, etc.

I feel like I've hit a wall with Karin. I haven't spent much time in ranked but I'm sitting at around 700lp, which in casual matchmaking generally matches me to anyone with 500lp to 1500lp. Those in the higher range are beginning to really pick me apart quite easily.

I spent a good bit of time in training with Karin, I can do various combos consistently and reliably in training as well as competitive matches, if I'm given the opportunity. It's served me well till now, however it's not enough now and I'm finding it harder to get that opportunity.

Some issues I've noticed:

- I get pressured very easily and can't deal with opponents in my face.
- When opponents are jumping in at me, my anti-air is atrocious. I know Karin's anti-airs, but fail to select/use them effectively.
- I find it difficult to get in on opponents. I've relied heavily on cross ups for offense and beginning my combos, which I often don't get the chance to take advantage of now.
- Footsies is still battle. While I try and engage and learn it with contemplative play, before I know it the opponent is already on me.

I want to get better. The spirit is willing, but the body is battered and bruised.

Hi fellow Chicagoan. My CFN is Jo_Jo_X. Also trying to seriously learn the game, and I'm probably intermediate skill (lol)? I don't know gimmicks so I don't run them!

markwaters

Neo Member
I'm the same boat as you, but I'm west coast USA and not sure how the connection would be. I'm on every night though if you ever want to play. Would love more training partners, as I haven't really played with many GAF players yet. I'm not seeing much activity on GAF's PS4 community.

I feel the same way that you do over casual / ranked, though. I feel like I'm starting to hit that intermediate wall, and I'm struggling to get passed it.

We can give it a shot! I should be home tonight to play some games. I play on PC, but we can coordinate something. My CFN is markwaters

Hi fellow Chicagoan. My CFN is Jo_Jo_X. Also trying to seriously learn the game, and I'm probably intermediate skill (lol)? I don't know gimmicks so I don't run them!

Howdy! I'll add you tonight as well. Do you play on PC or PS4?

ptown

Some issues I've noticed:
- I get pressured very easily and can't deal with opponents in my face.
The only invincible reversal she has besides critical art is EX QCB+P. It is going to be tough once they get in. You'll need solid defense and need to make some hard choices sometimes to get out of pressure. I find it usually is my goal as a Karin player to focus on footsies and try to push my opponent away with ground normal attacks and maintain Karin's good poke range/distance. Your goal is to minimize getting into your opponents pressure at all. Out footsie them, anti-air or evade their jump-in attacks.

- When opponents are jumping in at me, my anti-air is atrocious. I know Karin's anti-airs, but fail to select/use them effectively.
Her anti-air is one of her weaknesses. You already know her ground normals for anti-airs can be not so reliable and her EX QCB+P is the most reliable AA she has. You can also try going air-to-air e.g. jump back MP to beat cross-up attempts. Sometimes when you go air-to-air, you catch your opponent off guard because they were expecting you on the ground. If you're quick, you can try dashing under your opponent's jump-ins which could be better option than trying to outright challenge your opponent jump-in with an anti-air (e.g. you can use this to escape being in the corner).

- I find it difficult to get in on opponents. I've relied heavily on cross ups for offense and beginning my combos, which I often don't get the chance to take advantage of now.
Nearly all of Karin's special moves are punishable on block so you can't really rely on them to start offensive pressure. That's probably why she feels like she doesn't have much to get in like say a "brain-dead" sonic boom (though you can use EX QCF+K dash to get through fireballs). You probably want to focus on beating your opponents in footsies with Karin's excellent ground normal attacks and push them into the corner. When you get a solid hit/knockdown from footsies, you can use those to set up an offensive sequence like cross-ups, meaty attack on opponent's wakeup, etc. rather than just *raw* jumping at your opponent.

- Footsies is still battle. While I try and engage and learn it with contemplative play, before I know it the opponent is already on me.
Footsies is where Karin excels, but you still have to be careful. If you whiff a button, that can provide an opportunity for your opponent jump in, dash in, whiff punish you etc. Sometimes you just need to be patient and keep poking them until they mess up (you'll "cash out" on any gray life damage you incur on your opponent).

Hope that helps.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, since SFV shit the bed on having helpful tutorials, I guess I have to go to youtube... has anyone done a good series trying to teach people the basics?

Fraeon

Just gotta say that adding Crab Milk Mickey's advice of just walking forward has given me win streaks of 5 to 10 just this evening.

wrongway

I put up a couple games from my little ranked session the other day, but I'm honestly not sure what kind of input to ask for. My inputs are still hot garbage (especially after not having played for a bit), I'm still hugely unfamiliar with the cast, and I can't fit my whole toolbox in my head yet. :x

First game of my session, vs Vega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbyfD8oFYeA
This game got super laggy in the last set, but the airborne shenanigans were real fun.

Last game, vs Cammy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDmHl-slhA
This match taught me Cammy's vskill is pretty darn safe on block, lol

Karin stuff

This is helpful for me too. Thanks :)

Hey it's me again ! The challenge mode ask me to make a Back MK to Z LP with Nash, the timing is really too strict on this one, any advices ?

h0mebas3

Hello Everyone,

New Karin player here. How strict is the timing on her Orochi? I'm not sure if I am doing the doing her down + p too slow or too fast.

Thank you.

vocab

Hello Everyone,

New Karin player here. How strict is the timing on her Orochi? I'm not sure if I am doing the doing her down + p too slow or too fast.

Thank you.

It's not as strict as you may think. However, in some combos. After Just Frame (or fastest) Tenko you have to input orochi as fast as possible for it to connect.

Um. Clarification. This thing we are doing isn't a tournament. It's a way to help noobies for critique and improvement and teaching core fighting game principles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What basics are you looking for?

"Basics" includes a lot of things.
Well, I'm the average old school SF2/Alpha player who knows how to play shoto characters and understands concepts like zoning and footsies. But I have no idea what it actually means to option select, when to use V-trigger, what to do on wake up, how to deal with certain matchups, etc.

So I technically know how to play, but literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Top Bottom