• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

Thank you Joe. I think there have been plenty of platform games deserving recognition.

Definitely. Although, I can understand the argument again having "Genre Categories" at all, seeing as some games are very hard to pin down, so you either get a few broad categories or a ton of narrow ones. But if that's how they're going to do it, I can't understand why such a standard and iconic genre as "Platformer" can go unmentioned. Or puzzle, for that matter, given how mobile gaming has grown. But the mobile gaming category does a little to ameliorate that.

I guess Kotaku is our only hope for Danganronpa winning something :(
i has a sad too...man, basically everything getting nominated didnt do much for me at all. Normally this isnt the case for me, 1 or 2 games from my personal favorites always get left, but im usually like, whatever its all good games there. This year, its just large chunks of games I didnt care for. At least dragon age inquisition is good.

Games like Danganronpa, blazblue, borderlands the pre-sequel, Tales of xillia 2, the games I really enjoyed this year are nowhere to be found. I expect this to be a trend for most awards this year.

Timeaisis

Two games like Alien: Isolation and Bayonetta 2 in the same category is pretty funny!

Personally, I'm happy Alien got nominated for something, but it ain't an action game. It is, however, an adventure game, I suppose. If only we had a survival horror category, but I don't know how many survival horror games came out this year. Alien, TEW, PT is all I can think of.

Wulfram

Games for Change is a silly category, if a silly category with apparently decent nominees. It'd make more sense without Mountain, because then it'd at least have a clear criteria

Though I find the political nature a bit awkward. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm OK with the politics in those games, but if you stuck a "conservative values award" into an awards show I know I'd be rolling my eyes pretty hard.

83 metacritic, which isn't bad in general, but it's relatively bad enough for people to ignore it for GotY.

This is my problem, if it's indeed why it wasn't chosen. I would hope that more mentality goes into the picks than just what the Metacritic average is. That's no way to pick nominees. I think it's fine to look at the reviews and averages, but if you're making decisions based solely on that, you're doing it wrong.

Also WTF @ 83

Zoibie

Good to see Threes getting recognition in the mobile/handheld award category. I'd like to see it win against Hearthstone but I don't really see that happening.

Converse

Banned
I would just like to pat myself on the back for my statement in our recent thread about predicting the media's game of the year picks, where lots of folks were predicting Smash as Nintendo's big GOTY contender:

Converse said:
...the Smash Bros. series is absolutely monumental in scope and design, but although they're always positively reviewed, the gaming media seems to take the games for granted in some strange way. I don't predict SSB4 showing up on many yearly lists. If there's a Wii U contender, my feeling is that it's Bayonetta 2 -- that game is a critical darling, and rightly so.

So I'm, like, one for one.

I would just like to pat myself on the back for my prediction in our recent thread about predicting the media's game of the year picks, where lots of folks were predicting Smash as Nintendo's big GOTY contender:

Good prediction with some solid reasoning. I definitely agree.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is my problem, if it's indeed why it wasn't chosen. I would hope that more mentality goes into the picks than just what the Metacritic average is. That's no way to pick nominees. I think it's fine to look at the reviews and averages, but if you're making decisions based solely on that, you're doing it wrong.

Also WTF @ 83

Considering the panel is literally just journalists from various websites it's pretty understandable MC or not.

Riposte

lol if they pick Super Smash Bros. for 3DS over Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

I have little positive to say of this award show or of award shows in general, but at least they kept the pseudo-intellectual pollution out of their Game of Year category by giving it its own categories.

Somnid

Nintendo representation is good but still getting snubbed.

How do they pick nominees? Aggregate reviews, hype and sales would place Smash and Mario Kart in contention for GOTY you'd think.

Not just DKC:TF but also Bravely Default, Smash, Shovel Knight and Mario Kart have stellar soundtracks. I am astonished not one made it.

Why is Racing conflated with Sports? FIFA and Mario Kart are quite different.

I guess this turned out about as expected, it all seems very arbitrary.

Timeaisis

I would just like to pat myself on the back for my statement in our recent thread about predicting the media's game of the year picks, where lots of folks were predicting Smash as Nintendo's big GOTY contender:

The "Wii U contender" bit bothers me. Like we're only allowed to have one potential GOTY console exclusive per console or something. GOTY should be about merit, not balance.

If next year the PS4 has 5 GOTY contenders that happen to be console exclusives, I'd want them all to be considered equally.

The "well, that's Nintendo's one" mentality is silly.

Not disagreeing with you or anything, more commenting on your probably true reasoning of how the nominees were picked..

molnizzle

Prediction time! I bet I get pretty close.

Best Online Experience - Titanfall
Best Family Game - Mario Kart 8
Best Sports/Racing Game - Forza Horizon 2
Best Role-Playing Game - Dragon Age: Inquisition
Best Fighting Game - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Best Action/Adventure - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Best Shooter - Far Cry 4
Best Remaster - Grand Theft Auto V
Games for Change - The Last of Us: Left Behind
Best Performance - Kevin Spacey
Best Score/Soundtrack - Destiny
Best Narrative - Wolfenstein: The New Order
Developer of the Year - Monolith Productions
Best Mobile/Handheld Game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Best Independent Game - Shovel Knight
Game of the Year - Bayonetta 2

wildfire

Banned
To be fair, the only big retail platformers out this year are DKCTF and LBP3. Though you could factor in several indies like Shovel Knight.

For all its faults I would also count Sunset Overdrive because the game is at it's best when you are pulling off tricks on the rails.

With smaller titles like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, 1001 Spikes and Towerfall Ascension they could've presented a nice collection of games in this genre.

Well, I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there's no strategy game category either.

I think it's kind of the reality of having so few major entries in a genre in a given year.

I mean fighting games there is already barely scraping by with listing Smash twice, an expanded re-release, and two DLC updates.

I would agree you would have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to fill out the strategy section. If it existed Hearthstone would need to fill one of the gaps because it is that bad but I don't think that is the case for platformers.

And I don't see how those things are in any way remotely similar. I have no problem with having a category for one, or both, but rolling it into one seems like a very odd thing to do. Like I said previously, it seems like the "games we like that we can't place into other categories award". Which, I suppose is fine, but that is completely ill-defined. What is the criteria for winning said category?

Like, instead, we could have:

Progressive Themes Award for games that make you think about Deep Stuff
Left Behind
Valiant Hearts
et al

Most Innovative Game
Mountain
et all

I apologize for getting off-topic here and this will be my last post on the matter. Just wanted to clarify my position.

It's hardly off topic and I agree but this the mess we ended up with in this category.

Maybe the best way to roll this category into one is to rename it into "Most Daring Cultural Change." To call it the best for something so subjective doesn't work and when it comes to game design philosophy citing it as cultural change covers their bases raning from mechanics to themes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nintendo representation is good but still getting snubbed.

How do they pick nominees? Aggregate reviews, hype and sales would place Smash and Mario Kart in contention for GOTY you'd think.

Not just DKC:TF but also Bravely Default, Smash, Shovel Knight and Mario Kart have stellar soundtracks. I am astonished not one made it.

Why is Racing conflated with Sports? FIFA and Mario Kart are quite different.

I guess this turned out about as expected, it all seems very arbitrary.

People use the term snubbed so much that it has lost all meaning. There are 12 (assuming I haven't missed any), nominations for Nintendo published games and general nominations. That is not being snubbed no matter how you twist it. sure their are difference in opinion but Nintendo is far and away leading the pack.

Converse

Banned
The "Wii U contender" bit bothers me. Like we're only allowed to have one potential GOTY console exclusive per console or something. GOTY should be about merit, not balance.

If next year the PS4 has 5 GOTY contenders that happen to be console exclusives, I'd want them all to be considered equally.

The "well, that's Nintendo's one" mentality is silly.

Not disagreeing with you or anything, more commenting on your probably true reasoning of how the nominees were picked..

I totally agree with you. But you're right in your last statement -- we were predicting what we thought the media would pick, and that's unfortunately the way they play it, year in and year out.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Dark Souls 2 haters still in full force huh?
funny-gifs-and-zordons-gonna-zord.gif

Avari

I wonder what the criteria for 'Best Remaster' is? I would image it's not just the 'best' game, but wonder what the deciding criteria are. Most impressive jump in visuals? Best value?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dark Souls 2 haters still in full force huh?
funny-gifs-and-zordons-gonna-zord.gif

It deserves to be there (I mean look at most of the competition) I just don't think it deserves to win.

Either way DA;I will probably win, unless they plan to go for an upset relative to the AAA gaming audience it's by far the safest but well regarded nomination.

wildfire

Banned
My predictions:
Best Online Experience

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Best Family Game
Disney Infinity 2.0

Best Sports/Racing Game

Trials Fusion​

Best Role-Playing Game
Bravely Default
Dragon Age: Inquisition​

Best Fighting Game

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS​

Best Action/Adventure

Bayonetta 2

Best Shooter

Wolfenstein: The New Order​

Best Remaster (tough call)
Grand Theft Auto V
The Last of Us: Remastered​

Games for Change (I hardly know most of the nominees)
Mountain
Never Alone
The Last of Us: Left Behind
This War of Mine
Valiant Hearts: The Great War​

Best Performance

Melissa Hutchison as Clementine, The Walking Dead: Season Two

Best Score/Soundtrack (don't know)
Alien: Isolation
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor​

Best Narrative (too tough to determine)
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Walking Dead: Season Two
The Wolf Among Us
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Wolfenstein: The New Order​

Developer of the Year
Blizzard Entertainment

Best Mobile/Handheld Game

Best Independent Game

Shovel Knight

Game of the Year (Hard to call. The only thing I could do is take out DS2)
Bayonetta 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor​

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
i has a sad too...man, basically everything getting nominated didnt do much for me at all. Normally this isnt the case for me, 1 or 2 games from my personal favorites always get left, but im usually like, whatever its all good games there. This year, its just large chunks of games I didnt care for. At least dragon age inquisition is good.

Games like Danganronpa, blazblue, borderlands the pre-sequel, Tales of xillia 2, the games I really enjoyed this year are nowhere to be found. I expect this to be a trend for most awards this year.
Japanese games tend to never make it in the awards because they aren't popular enough which makes me never care for these award shows. I'm shocked Borderlands wasn't on it.

Well had Halo the Master Chief Collection not fell through a slipspace portal sending it back in time to fall on its face before the launch, it would have hands down won the Best Remaster award.

Though given its time-travelling-face-falling I doubt it will win now. It'll probably go to The Last of Us.

maxcriden

I'm so proud of you, Converse. Or should I say, NostraConverse.

fedexpeon

Banned
Game of the Year

Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Hearthstone
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Wow, good list.
No AC or COD...legit shock.

I'm still incredulous at the best re-release category. Don't even do an awards show if you're going to do shit like that. They even use the term 'remaster'. We need more competent people doing this stuff if this is what has to happen.

Top Bottom