• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards Nominees being announced [Update: Revealed - In OP]

Majukun

Prediction time! I bet I get pretty close.

Best Online Experience - Titanfall
Best Family Game - Mario Kart 8
Best Sports/Racing Game - Forza Horizon 2
Best Role-Playing Game - Dragon Age: Inquisition
Best Fighting Game - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Best Action/Adventure - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Best Shooter - Far Cry 4
Best Remaster - Grand Theft Auto V
Games for Change - The Last of Us: Left Behind
Best Performance - Kevin Spacey
Best Score/Soundtrack - Destiny
Best Narrative - Wolfenstein: The New Order
Developer of the Year - Monolith Productions
Best Mobile/Handheld Game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Best Independent Game - Shovel Knight
Game of the Year - Bayonetta 2

so you are saying that bayo 2 gets the GOTY but doesn't win the "action/adventure" category?
is that even possible?

I'm still incredulous at the best re-release category. Don't even do an awards show if you're going to do shit like that. They even use the term 'remaster'. We need more competent people doing this stuff if this is what has to happen.

Whats wrong with Best Remaster? People still put hours of their own sweat, blood and tears remaking the game for the new system. That deserves to be rewarded.

Yes some remasters like The Last of Us are a straight up port, but some like The Master Chief Collection add insane amounts of content into the package which wasn't there to begin with and goes way beyond the standard title of "Remaster" in an effort which adds up to the amount of effort needed to make a brand new game.

Which companies offered the best value out of their old games?
Which companies went above and beyond the bare minimum? (porting and updated graphics)
Which companies stayed true to the old game?
Is the game multiple years old and is being brought back as a homage, or is it 10+ years old and several generations behind?

That is a proper remaster, and that deserves to be awarded to the people who made it happen.

disclaimer: The Last of Us and The Master Chief Collection were just merely two examples used. I haven't played the Last of Us, but I just picked it as an example which may or may not be correct. Just humor me and go along with it if its not just a simple up-port because I have no clue.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
At some awards in the past, Madden won GOTY but didn't even win best sports game....

I admit I usually don't follow these awards but how the hell did Madden ever get GOTY? I don't even have anything particularly against Madden it just seems like the yearly releases are too insignificant to rise above the competition.

so you are saying that bayo 2 gets the GOTY but doesn't win the "action/adventure" category?
is that even possible?

eNRWzOh.gif

Damerman

In one sense I agree, but considering Troy Baker would just win for the next 10 years. It'd be kinda boring.

Probably, the guy puts in work and good work at that. His performance for Pagin Min was freaking insane. "you don't text for help, you cry for it"... gave me chills.

but i was just saying that there should be separate categories for both men and women.

Alfredo

For "Best Soundtrack," I'm just gonna say that Vib-Ribbon technically debuted this year, at least in America...

Also...D4. >=[

massoluk

Banned
I simply do not see any other developers come close to Nintendo this year when it come to output, both quality and quantity. The other nominees either released ONE solid game or a libary of very mixed quality. But I have a feeling they will not win anyway, since the same can be said for almost every year before this.

But hey, surprise me.

Whats wrong with Best Remaster? People still put hours of their own sweat, blood and tears remaking the game for the new system. That deserves to be rewarded.

Yes some remasters like The Last of Us are a straight up port, but some like The Master Chief Collection add insane amounts of content into the package which wasn't there to begin with and goes way beyond the standard title of "Remaster" in an effort which adds up to the amount of effort needed to make a brand new game.

Which companies offered the best value out of their old games?
Which companies went above and beyond the bare minimum? (porting and updated graphics)
Which companies stayed true to the old game?
Is the game multiple years old and is being brought back as a homage, or is it 10+ years old and several generations behind?

That is a proper remaster, and that deserves to be awarded to the people who made it happen.

disclaimer: The Last of Us and The Master Chief Collection were just merely two examples used. I haven't played the Last of Us, but I just picked it as an example which may or may not be correct. Just humor me and go along with it if its not just a simple up-port because I have no clue.

First off, there is no 'master' to be 'remastered'. That's a music industry term because audio has a mastering process.

Second, there is no merit to being the best re-release. Playing a good game again with better graphics is nice, but that's the extent of it. There's nothing new about them, it's nothing award worthy.

The fact that there's enough of them to make a category, well that in itself kind of shines a light on how silly it is for games to get awards.

Damerman

When I noticed it was combined I thought about it for a while and thought this didn't really make a difference.

When we look at the times in which The Oscars were created for example, there was going to be a gigantic inset bias against women, but I don't think that really holds true in 2014 for video games outside of the fact that there just aren't a ton of female lead characters compared to the number of men. It's still very plausible one could win though, given that most of the best received story games tend to have strong female characters.

Like if this was done for last year's I'd still expect the performance for Joel, Ellie, Booker, and Elizabeth to all show up in the top 5.
i agree. i guess the perspective i'm coming from is to just give out more than just one award. The best way to split that award is to have gender categories, which is probably an antiquated way of doing, as you put it.

Zero²

Best Score/Soundtrack
Alien: Isolation
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor
Really?! Where is Tropical Freeze for god's sake?!

Just mulling over this stuff my only main conclusion is that Blizzard should absolutely win studio of the year.

Diablo 3: RoS - Turned the game around, great fun on console and PC.
Hearthstone - There is a reason this is in the running for game of the year and it's getting relatively quick updates.
WoW:WoD - Turned their pillar game around.

KooopaKid

Banned
My picks :

Best Family Game
Disney Infinity 2.0
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Mario Kart 8
Skylanders: Trap Team
Tomodachi Life​

Best Sports/Racing Game
Fifa '15
Forza Horizon 2
Mario Kart 8
NBA 2K15
Trials Fusion​

Best Action/Adventure
Assassin’s Creed: Unity
Bayonetta 2
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive​

Games for Change
Mountain
Never Alone
The Last of Us: Left Behind
This War of Mine
Valiant Hearts: The Great War​

Best Score/Soundtrack
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor​

Developer of the Year
Blizzard Entertainment
Monolith Productions
Nintendo
Telltale Games
Ubisoft Montreal​

Best Independent Game
Broken Age: Act I
Monument Valley
Shovel Knight
Transistor
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Game of the Year
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor​

shootfast

Trending Gamer
  • Jeff Gertsmann
  • TotalBiscuit
  • PewDiePie
  • Evan "Vanoss" Fong
  • StampyLongHead

This is the only one I care about, I want to see jeff accept the award, it'll be so cringeworthy!

Nibel

I really hope the devs get an appropriate amount of time to talk when they receive an award. This always bugged me in previous award shows.

Mohonky

What the fuck is Alien Isolation doing in best action/adventure 0_o ?!

I know, feel action and adventure should be 2 different categories though.

I would like to see Alien Isolation get something out of this years GOTY awards but against Bayo 2? Nah.

Also done my part in voting for Jeff in trending gamer, everyone else get on it before the 12yr olds all vote Pewdiepie!

First off, there is no 'master' to be 'remastered'. That's a music industry term because audio has a mastering process.

Second, there is no merit to being the best re-release. Playing a good game again with better graphics is nice, but that's the extent of it. There's nothing new about them, it's nothing award worthy.

The fact that there's enough of them to make a category, well that in itself kind of shines a light on how silly it is for games to get awards.
You lose any credibility with this ridiculous claim. Remasters aren't just about heightened graphics.

Remaster, remake; Its all semantics. In software engineering current source code is called the "Master" of the build. When software is released, it gets called the Gold Master. So remastering would imply they are redoing the master copy of the build. It still applies

I also covered the second part of your post in my previous post. most games are simple up ports, but then what would you call something like (to use the same example) Halo which not only remakes Halo 2 (and 1, 3, 4, but for this example lets forget they exist) but also includes Terminals (weren't in the original game), Modifier Skulls (weren't in the original game as toggleables), Forge, Theater or the new weapons/vehicles? In the literal term its still a remake because that's what the base is, but at the same time its not a simple remake. Because its 10 years old, it even fits the criteria for a good remake because its hard to play the original again given the time passed.

Its always good to award going above and beyond, even if in most years the above and beyond barely happens. But if you vote for the ones going above and beyond (in both awards and your wallet) that's how change begins to take root. Over time it slowly transitions from simple money grabs to money grabs which give you more value.

Since I haven't yet, here are my picks.

Best Online Experience
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Dark Souls II
Destiny
Titanfall

Best Family Game
Disney Infinity 2.0
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Mario Kart 8
Skylanders: Trap Team
Tomodachi Life​

Best Sports/Racing Game
Fifa '15
Forza Horizon 2
Mario Kart 8
NBA 2K15
Trials Fusion​

Best Role-Playing Game
Bravely Default
Dark Souls II
Divinity: Original Sin
South Park: The Stick of Truth​

Best Fighting Game
Killer Instinct: Season 2
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Ultra Street Fighter IV​

Best Action/Adventure
Assassin’s Creed: Unity
Bayonetta 2
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Sunset Overdrive

Best Shooter
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Destiny
Far Cry 4
Titanfall
Wolfenstein: The New Order​

Best Remaster
Grand Theft Auto V
Pokémon: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
The Last of Us: Remastered
Halo: The Master Chief Collection (don't think it will win due to public perception now, but if it can get past that it has a good shot)
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition​

Games for Change
Mountain
Never Alone
The Last of Us: Left Behind
This War of Mine
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Best Performance
Adam Harrington as Bigby Wolf, The Wolf Among Us
Kevin Spacey as Jonathan Irons, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Melissa Hutchison as Clementine, The Walking Dead: Season Two
Trey Parker as Various Voices, South Park: The Stick of Truth
Troy Baker as Talion, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Best Score/Soundtrack
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor​

Best Narrative
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Walking Dead: Season Two
The Wolf Among Us
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Wolfenstein: The New Order​

Developer of the Year
Blizzard Entertainment
Monolith Productions
Nintendo
Telltale Games
Ubisoft Montreal​

Best Mobile/Handheld Game
Bravely Default
Monument Valley
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Threes!​

Best Independent Game
Broken Age: Act I
Monument Valley
Shovel Knight
Transistor
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Game of the Year
Bayonetta 2
Dark Souls II
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor​

EDIT: "Fan's Choice" nominees:
(vote here)

Staal

Sjees, not a list I can relate to. Only Trials, Wolfenstein and Walking Dead are on my playlist this year.
I'll use it for recommendations.

First the good. I think games for change is an excellent category. I'm glad they decided to create a single category for performances instead of the best female performance and best male performance. Maybe when we are literally overwhelmed with great performances then we can justify two categories.

I am of two minds about creating a single category for mobile and hand held games.

Now the bad. I don't see why we are giving awards to remasters. I don't see why Ubisoft Montreal is even nominated for best developer and I have my doubts over Titanfall's online experience given the lack of server browser and fragmented audience.

RPGamer92

Banned
First the good. I think games for change is an excellent category. I'm glad they decided to create a single category for performances instead of the best female performance and best male performance. Maybe when we are literally overwhelmed with great performances then we can justify two categories.

I am of two minds about creating a single category for mobile and hand held games.

Now the bad. I don't see why we are giving awards to remasters. I don't see why Ubisoft Montreal is even nominated for best developer and I have my doubts over Titanfall's online experience given the lack of server browser and fragmented audience.
Remasters category is needed so that GTA and TLOU won't be in the GOTY category again.

Stealth50

I know "most anticipated game" is a really silly reward but I'm pretty surprised that netiher Starwars Battlefront, MGS V nor The Division made the list.

I'll be pretty upset if Mordor doesn't win GOTY.

I know "most anticipated game" is a really silly reward but I'm pretty surprised that netiher Starwars Battlefront, MGS V nor The Division made the list.

We've seen so little of Battlefront it may as well be a 2016 title, and the hype for The Division has crumbled after Watch Dogs turned out to be such a bait and switch and Unity showed how tired the Ubisoft AAA formula is.

MGS V probably just doesn't have as much hype as the games that are there because we already got a bit to satiate the hype in the form of Ground Zeroes.

Vire

They got their awards last year. That's just a dumb lack of restraint if that is honestly their reasoning.

I guess the hope is to put the onus on developers/publishers to actually make high quality remasters rather than just shit port jobs.

In a way it encourages future high quality re-releases, but I guess that's dependent on how popular this award show is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
No Smash and MK8 in game of the year makes this instant fail. And no mention of either Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze? Yep, definitely wont bother to watch this.

Vire

No Smash and MK8 in game of the year makes this instant fail. And no mention of either Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze? Yep, definitely wont bother to watch this.

Smash and Mario Kart 8 are sequels in long running franchises that haven't changed the formula in 15 years. Sure, they are well made games, but they don't exactly push the boundaries... or entirely deserve something as prestigious as game of the year.

Also, Shovel Knight was nominated for best independent game.

Arkham Knight should be higher in the most anticipated list.

I don't know of any hype for The Witcher 3 outside of PC people and people who just want to see really good graphics and all we have of Uncharted is one CG-like scene.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Zero²;139725163 said:
Best Score/Soundtrack
Child of Light
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive
Transistor
Really?! Where is Tropical Freeze for god's sake?!

Warlords of Draenor got robbed as well.

Top Bottom