• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Hellblade II is massive, and growing.

Frwrd

I have a genuine question about “graphics vs gameplay”

Three games keep coming up in terms of “Next Gen Graphics”

Hellblade 2, Alan Wake 2 and Fort Solis.

I played AW2 and Fort Solis. Read hundreds of thousands of words about Hellblade 2, so I know enough

Isn’t it easier to have a game with “next level graphics” when the majority of it is mostly walking, puzzles and simple combat?

What I’m asking is, would Alan Wake 2, Hellblade 2 and Fort Solis still look “that good” if they had the nonstop fighting and the insane variety of combat that God of War Ragnarok or Spider-Man 2 has?
IMHO

They would be even better, because no matter how incredible the graphics might end up being in ANY videogame, it is the experience of having the control of said videogame what makes it memorable, remarkable and timeless. I do understand that some stories call for scripted set pieces, or perhaps a QTE here and there, sometimes the pacing of the game needs to be brought down a bit to help you "see" and/or "focus" on 'this or that'.

However, what some of these games have done, Hellblade 2 to be specific, is unacceptable in this day and age. Imagine if the market started to flood with these bullshit-ass "Cinematic Experiences" instead of having an actual game that's not only engaging through its visual art and sound, whether that's realism or whatever the dev chooses it to be, but also and more importantly through the connection and interactivity that's given to the players on every input.

IMHO

Ps: apologies on the huge wall of text.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I wouldn’t say nonsense to what you see in front of you. Rather, I’d offer context. The issue for Hellblade II is we have machines that can pull off those visuals AND add more to the package. It’s not like the game is so far ahead of everything that nothing comes close, so it just feels as if they didn’t put forth enough effort to really create a robust experience and MAINLY focused on looks.
I don't even think it's because they focused on the looks, I think it's because they focused so much on the mental health issues side of things that they couldn't work out a different way of doing that AND have gameplay that is very dynamic so everything had to be done in a very linear specific way. It's why the combat is the way it is, it's why the walking is the way it is, it's why the puzzles are the way they are.

Of course, having very rigidly defined gameplay allows for amazing visuals because it restricts things like movement so much

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Alan Wake 2 is a "real game" with actual mechanics, a progression system, long run time, etc... I would not compare it at all with the other 2
Is it, though? Shooting at sHadOw pEoPle doesn't have that "equal and opposite effect" to your gunshots (except to "puff away") in the same vein as the amazing reaction enemies have in Last Of Us Part 2 when you shoot em.

Flabagast

Is it, though? Shooting at sHadOw pEoPle doesn't have that "equal and opposite effect" to your gunshots (except to "puff away") in the same vein as the amazing reaction enemies have in Last Of Us Part 2 when you shoot em.
You can say that it's not well done but it the fact remains it is still there.

Also some brainless people equate gameplay in games to combat only and nothing else, are you one of those people ?

Eiknarf

You can say that it's not well done but it the fact remains it is still there.

Also some brainless people equate gameplay in games to combat only and nothing else, are you one of those people ?
No.
I’m just trying to see if “less gameplay mechanics and options” = better graphics

Eiknarf

I don't even think it's because they focused on the looks, I think it's because they focused so much on the mental issues side of things that they couldn't work out a different way of doing that AND have gameplay that is very dynamic so everything had to be done in a very linear specific way. It's why the combat is the way it is, it's why the walking is the way it is, it's why the puzzles are the way they are.

Of course, having very rigidly defined gameplay allows for amazing visuals because it restricts things like movement so much
And this right here in bold summed it up

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't even think it's because they focused on the looks, I think it's because they focused so much on the mental issues side of things that they couldn't work out a different way of doing that AND have gameplay that is very dynamic so everything had to be done in a very linear specific way. It's why the combat is the way it is, it's why the walking is the way it is, it's why the puzzles are the way they are.

Well put!

Deerock71

anchorman will GIF

Top Bottom