• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Hellblade II is massive, and growing.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How's everyone hype meters? I'm sure playing this, but can't say I'm thrilled. The dead silent marketing campaign doesn't help setting the mood either.

I'll play it eventually. The first one was decent, but not exactly a must play. I've no plans to sign up to GamePass again any time soon, so I'll probably wait for a sale. I've got a backlog of three other games right now, and this doesn't feel worth dropping any of them for.

I'll play it eventually. The first one was decent, but not exactly a must play. I've no plans to sign up to GamePass again any time soon, so I'll probably wait for a sale. I've got a backlog of three other games right now, and this doesn't feel worth dropping any of them for.
My GP sub expires in June 2025, so I'm playing everything that interests me until then. I did like the first one, but am disappointed they said it'd be about the same length as the first. Still, I doubt the game will be bad by any means if it's more of the first but better graphics.

Skifi28

Gold Member
How's everyone hype meters? I'm sure playing this, but can't say I'm thrilled. The dead silent marketing campaign doesn't help setting the mood either.
What are you talking about it? Aaron twitted at least twice about the game, the marketing campaign is still going strong. They even released a launch trailer!

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bless them for adding camera bob and motion blur toggles.
Since it's UE game, we'll be able to turn off all screen effects and make the game look much better and more clean via simple .ini edit.

It uses Lumen, possible RT reflections too.
Probably software and not hardware Lumen, like in every other UE5 game so far.

Good question!
Lumen (as well as Nanite) will be in the game for sure, maybe in combination with standard SSR, but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Jaybe

gDgtXhb.jpeg

Mortisfacio

Banned

Bless them for adding camera bob and motion blur toggles.

Good to see! My wife wants to game, but has a hard time doing it anymore. Ever since she was pregnant with my son, she seems to have developed a motion sickness issue (not sure the coincidence vs correlation, but she gamed a lot prior). Hoping these features will let her at least get to play this.

tommib

Everything now has to be some saccharine sob story, I swear. This is like those "I quit my job to make my dream game, please love it" reddit posts for some aggressively mediocre Indie game that 500 people play because they feel bad for the dumbass who made it.

Current culture is so fucking weird and alien to me sometimes.
It does read like a LinkedIn post of some corporate rat changing companies. 0 doubt that thing came out of ChatGPT.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Really sounds like a plea to the fans to show up and buy it if not papa ms gonna show up.
Nah just me reading into things.
Saddle up with my coffee tomorrow, lets go.

Showed this to some non-hardcore friends and they all agree with me that this reads like an apology you release AFTER bad reviews. I don't know what PR is thinking.

Everything now has to be some saccharine sob story, I swear. This is like those "I quit my job to make my dream game, please love it" reddit posts for some aggressively mediocre Indie game that 500 people play because they feel bad for the dumbass who made it.

Current culture is so fucking weird and alien to me sometimes.

They did the same thing a day before the first game released as well. I don't think there's any specific conspiracy or plea behind it.

Ninja Theory’s latest title, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is releasing tomorrow on the PlayStation Store. Since it’s only a matter of hours until players have their hands on the action game, Ninja Theory has released a note to their fans. Check out what they had to say below:

Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice has always been an experiment in trying to break the mold, trying to rediscover the lost space in between indie and AAA. For our part, we think we’ve made our best game yet. From tomorrow it is up to you, our fans and the PlayStation community, to carry Hellblade forward and help make this experiment a success.

Creating video games is a privilege, but it isn’t always easy. Just as Senua goes on a journey, so too have the Hellblade development team. The support that we’ve had from the PlayStation fans from the very beginning has been nothing short of incredible. You have believed in us, helped spread the word and watched Hellblade evolve over the years. We’re so excited that tomorrow we’ll be able to share the final Hellblade experience with you all.

Last edited:

Saber

Showed this to some non-hardcore friends and they all agree with me that this reads like an apology you release AFTER bad reviews. I don't know what PR is thinking.

They could simply release a badass pic, artwork or clip and saying that the release is close.
Nah, lets make bigass text sob thank you that looks like its about being sorry for something, that also looks like it was made by an AI.

King Dazzar

They did the same thing a day before the first game released as well. I don't think there's any specific conspiracy or plea behind it.

That makes more sense, kind of normalises it. Not sure why the empathy to my post. But you do you I guess.

Ogbert

I think people are overthinking things.

It’s a perfectly normal message. He’s just saying thank you.

That's consistent for sure, but Xbox PR should understand how weak it looks and cut the post.

GHG

Gold Member

Before seeing this I would have said that tweet reads like a goodbye.

It still reads like a goodbye.

Oppoi

I actually look forward to passively playing this interactive experince on youtube. Some say that's high praise, and I would agree. It really is.

JCK75

I mean I liked the first, and it looks great.. but I'd not say I'm super hyped.. just curious and want to play it.

Dazraell

That's a strange tweet. Its almost like they've got their fingers crossed that it does well. It comes across as though they're lacking confidence.

Probably got it wrong, but its a bit of a head scratcher...
Studio co-founder who was a "face" of Ninja Theory left the studio less than two months before Hellblade 2 release, reviews embargo are set one hour before actual launch, now this twitter post... I mean, if these are not red flags, I don't know what else to say

I don't think the game will be a complete failure by any means, but at a same time I also don't think it will be a smashing hit that will sell tons of copies and score plenty of awards at the end of the year. It'll be just okay, similarly like the first game. But yeah, it most likely won't meet expectations of the general public

I think the main issue with the game won't even be about the game itself. It's going to be, why did a game this short take so long.
I get they did a ton of mocap and a new engine and blah blah blah. But I think most of us are ok with shorter games assuming they'll take less time to make.

King Dazzar

Studio co-founder who was a "face" of Ninja Theory left the studio less than two months before Hellblade 2 release, reviews embargo are set one hour before actual launch, now this twitter post... I mean, if these are not red flags, I don't know what else to say

I don't think the game will be a complete failure by any means, but at a same time I also don't think it will be a smashing hit that will sell tons of copies and score plenty of awards at the end of the year. It'll be just okay, similarly like the first game. But yeah, it most likely won't meet expectations of the general public
Yeah, unfortunately theres been many raised eye brow bits with this release. But I'm still thinking, surely there isnt much to mess up here.... we'll know soon enough

I think the main issue with the game won't even be about the game itself. It's going to be, why did a game this short take so long.
I get they did a ton of mocap and a new engine and blah blah blah. But I think most of us are ok with shorter games assuming they'll take less time to make.

I will be pretty pissed off if this is a step back from the first and a disappointment. The usual shameful folk in Microsoft’s pocket will be praising this regardless however I do think it will be received well from others and I’m glad there’s a reason to use my Series X after a while.

Last edited:
I’d be pretty pissed off if this is a step back from the first and a disappointment. The usual shameful folk in Microsoft’s pocket will be praising this regardless however I do think it will be received well from others and I’m glad there’s a reason to use my Series X after a while.
Well I hear it's only 1v1 fights. That's the part I'm curious about cause that's the only thing that made the first one challenging, multiple enemies attacking. If it's all 1v1 and the parrying is as easy as it was in the first one. This might be a cakewalk.
I think the game itself will be fine. But I don't want studios spending 5 years to make 5 hour games. ha! I mean Kojima made a new studio and death stranding in less time. Insomniac has one multiple games in less time. etc.

But I also heard they sent review codes to all the xbox shills on youtube/x. Even ones that don't review games normally, like xbox podcasts. So there is going to be a lot of skewed takes.

Team size, likely. That also means the budget may have not been as high as we think.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I don't know why folks keep bringing up the Tameem thing in this disingenuous way even after being corrected multiple times.

He wanted to leave after shipping the first game but stayed on 2 extra years to help the team out. He said as much himself.

GKaZJZmWsAAjpHL

Top Bottom