• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well, I definitely don't begrudge you enjoying the game as much as you seem to be, but I ain't seeing what you're seeing. I do enjoy it a good bit, but it gets pretty samey pretty quick. The mechanics I had a problem with from the start are still an issue for me now, and I have my suspicions about that game timer. I know I haven't played no 13 hours, and yet that's what the slot clock says.

Either way, if you dig this, then you should really enjoy that Ghost Recon game (the one that launched with 3DS) if it ever does come to iOS. I thought it was a really solid game -- had its issues as well, of course, but it does a lot more right than Hunters 2 does in my opinion. The missions are far more varied, and the mechanics are more practical and up to date, and it's just overall a more interesting game. Of course, it's not completely a fair comparison, as it's obvious the developer in this case still have the mindset of "mobile," whereas the Ghost Recon TBS game is more console-quality.

Heard it was supposed to get ported over to iOS, but I haven't heard anything else about it. But if it does ever release, I recommend it to you as a day-1 purchase.

The timer as far as I can tell is accurate, I've let it sit for an hour while doing other things and it counted an hour. It does count menu idling as well however.

Comparing Hunters scope to Ghost Recon's I don't think is fair considering Ghost Recon wasn't developed by three guys who outsource their music. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, I definitely don't begrudge you enjoying the game as much as you seem to be, but I ain't seeing what you're seeing. I do enjoy it a good bit, but it gets pretty samey pretty quick. The mechanics I had a problem with from the start are still an issue for me now, and I have my suspicions about that game timer. I know I haven't played no 13 hours, and yet that's what the slot clock says.

Either way, if you dig this, then you should really enjoy that Ghost Recon game (the one that launched with 3DS) if it ever does come to iOS. I thought it was a really solid game -- had its issues as well, of course, but it does a lot more right than Hunters 2 does in my opinion. The missions are far more varied, and the mechanics are more practical and up to date, and it's just overall a more interesting game. Of course, it's not completely a fair comparison, as it's obvious the developer in this case still have the mindset of "mobile," whereas the Ghost Recon TBS game is more console-quality.

Heard it was supposed to get ported over to iOS, but I haven't heard anything else about it. But if it does ever release, I recommend it to you as a day-1 purchase.

I think I just really enjoy the squad based RPG/loot aspects of the game. I would never be opposed to trying similar titles, though. I think I just really dig RPG/loot games (without a pay wall...). I played Pocket RPG when it came out, but really didn't like that you never grew through the campaign, only within an individual mission. I like the growth. Hunters 2 works for me, but I can definitely see where others would have issues with it.

GeekyDad

Of course, it's not completely a fair comparison, as it's obvious the developer in this case still have the mindset of "mobile," whereas the Ghost Recon TBS game is more console-quality.

Comparing Hunters scope to Ghost Recon's I don't think is fair considering Ghost Recon wasn't developed by three guys who outsource their music. :p

;) Like I said...

And not completely unrelated, I finally created a Canadian account and got to try out RAD Soldiers. Another TBS game that has some really cool stuff going on but also a bit disappointing. Wasn't expecting it to be so compartmentalized and the cost for stuff to be so high. Another developer who made the claim "IAP would be completely optional." In the same way a cancer patient has the choice of removing a tumor. Sure, you could leave it there if you really wanted to, I guess.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
;) Like I said...

And not completely unrelated, I finally created a Canadian account and got to try out RAD Soldiers. Another TBS game that has some really cool stuff going on but also a bit disappointing. Wasn't expecting it to be so compartmentalized and the cost for stuff to be so high. Another developer who made the claim "IAP would be completely optional." In the same way a cancer patient has the choice of removing a tumor. Sure, you could leave it there if you really wanted to, I guess.
On RAD Soldiers I agree with you, the IAPs killed it for me.

jukebeat/jubeat plus received a version update today, adding local multiplayer (via Bluetooth, apparently?) and a restore purchases button to the store.

REFLEC BEAT plus has also been updated. It is now a universal app (albeit still Japanese-only).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In Happy Street, whenever I try to connect to my gf's town via facebook (she has Android), it gives me an error saying "There was an issue with the data. Please make sure you have the latest version of Happy Street". Did anyone else encounter this? We both have the newest version of course and don't really know what to do... I don't have that problem with my gamecenter-friends, just her and she's on android... :/

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yep, I'm totally enjoying Ski Safari and Spellsword. Spellsword has some pretty steep difficulty levels, and I do wish Ski Safari had tons of powerups to unlock, but they are both worth buying.

Minecraft pocket is...interesting. They come so close but make some very odd mistakes. from what I gather the whole thing was a cluster F from the beginning.

Apparently they had some kooky notion that nobody would want to play survival so when people got all pissed they had to basically rewrite the game to make it work.

You would think by now that devs would have learned from this console generation that when you promise people a port of a beloved game, nobody ever wants some half-assed watered down version.
i
I'm still pretty much enjoying it. I think it'll play a ton better on a prospective iPad mini or larger ipod Touch. I just wish it had been a perfect translation from the jump.

It broke my little heart when I was finally getting my homestead together and couldn't even make a bed. Not to mention the odd exclusion of the oh-so-iconic Creepers.

Mojang seems commited to fixing it, though, so hope springs eternal.

Manik

In Happy Street, whenever I try to connect to my gf's town via facebook (she has Android), it gives me an error saying "There was an issue with the data. Please make sure you have the latest version of Happy Street". Did anyone else encounter this? We both have the newest version of course and don't really know what to do... I don't have that problem with my gamecenter-friends, just her and she's on android... :/

I get this error but between two iOS devices. Not sure whether it's a gamecenter issue or a Facebook one though, because they are friends on both.

Googling the issue doesn't yield anything at all either, aside from a single post on toucharcade. Very annoying.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
985242_large.png

Ichi is free today!

Have fun!

Was sitting around and realized I hadn't heard anything about the Dominion app in a few months, so I decided to search to see if I could find an update. I found this article that was just posted this morning claiming that it's been confirmed by the devs to be releasing this Thursday.

http://pockettactics.com/2012/08/13/rio-grandes-official-dominion-coming-16-august/

Wow - great find. You need to cross-post that in the iOS Board Gaming thread too.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468889

10000000-review-iphone-apps-ipad-0.jpg

I have been playing this for a few hours and didn't realize that the "timer" was essentially you getting pushed off the screen.

I'm an idiot. Can't believe I didn't notice.

PittaGAF

Finally unlocked the 'solo' achievement in Hunters 2...still in love with the game doing the daily contracts with my level 7 assault rifle squadron. So awesome.

I have two questions...

If I reset the campaign...I can replay it maintaining my men as it says (just want to be sure, so attached to my team now)?
I suppose the campaign will have increased difficulty, right?

What exactly happens if I turn on the hardcore mode? If one dies, he is gone forever?
Even Caius?
How can I continue the game in this case? Paying for new hunters to replace the old? Because its seems to me incredibly expensive, not to mention they will be low level.
Has anyone tried?
Seems impossible to me.

Thanks!

kennah

The purchasable hunters level up along with you. Hardcore is super hard and it is devastating to lose a man. But you can kind of cheat by closing the process and selecting "return to ship". You lose all progress - but your dude will still be alive.

PittaGAF

The purchasable hunters level up along with you. Hardcore is super hard and it is devastating to lose a man. But you can kind of cheat by closing the process and selecting "return to ship". You lose all progress - but your dude will still be alive.

I see, thanks.
I'll just stick with the daily contracts then...I would hate the idea to loose permanently my men :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally unlocked the 'solo' achievement in Hunters 2...still in love with the game doing the daily contracts with my level 7 assault rifle squadron. So awesome.

I have two questions...

If I reset the campaign...I can replay it maintaining my men as it says (just want to be sure, so attached to my team now)?
I suppose the campaign will have increased difficulty, right?

What exactly happens if I turn on the hardcore mode? If one dies, he is gone forever?
Even Caius?
How can I continue the game in this case? Paying for new hunters to replace the old? Because its seems to me incredibly expensive, not to mention they will be low level.
Has anyone tried?
Seems impossible to me.

Thanks!
I'll just spoiler tag parts in case anyone out there cares about the story parts.

Resetting the campaign keeps your team
(except Caius, you have to complete it again to re-gain him)
, the difficulty will be the same and you'll
have the ability to earn another legendary item at the end.

If you play Hardcore and loose too much so that your entire team eventually dies and you don't have enough currency to recruit/replace even one member, there's always the IAPs.. or you start another game entirely.

In regards to recruitable Hunters, afaik level 5 Hunters are the highest you can recruit at a cost of 150,000 (which then level up as you use them normally). You might be able to recuit higher base level Hunters once you reach level 10 yourself but I don't remember.

Keep in mind that it's not just the level of the Hunter that's important, the speciality combo (eg. Combat/Survival "Terminators" etc. etc.) is equally important. Certain combos are more suited towards certain weapon builds and so forth.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
If you don't mind me asking, how have sales been?

From what I've seen, games that really succeed on the platform are 1-hit wonders, mid-core games such as Hero Academy / Rage of Bahamut, and games with very large marketing budgets.
It has done ok. We're a team of 6 people, so it's never enough.

GeekyDad

How do the Intergalactic Prizes work? Like say, if I get a bonus that says "boosts accuracy 5%," is that automatically added to the stats of each character, their weapons, just a single character...?

bonesquad

If you don't mind me asking, how have sales been?

From what I've seen, games that really succeed on the platform are 1-hit wonders, mid-core games such as Hero Academy / Rage of Bahamut, and games with very large marketing budgets.

Out of curiosity, what's a mid-core game? I ask because I don't know how trash like Rage of Bahamut can be in the same category as legit games like Hero Academy:)

I'm somewhat sad to see this free. Not because I'm out $1, I really like Ichi and it was definitely worth buying, but rather it further cheapens the app store. Which further pushes the mentality of people only buying $1 games or free games. I think anyone trying to make money off the app store without using a sleazy compulsion-based freemium game (like Rage of Bahamut) is crazy. Even if my personal entertainment likes that they do keep trying:)

I do hope whatever you want to accomplish by making Ichi free pays off because like I said I do really like the game.

SteveWD40

Usually developers make games free for a limited time to get more reviews (hopefully positive) and downloads, more hype etc...

I agree though that it's a strange place the app store, for every cynical cash grab you get some gem that captures the imagination and makes someone rich (Tiny Wings for example).

Out of curiosity, what's a mid-core game? I ask because I don't know how trash like Rage of Bahamut can be in the same category as legit games like Hero Academy:)

I grouped them based mostly non-casual theme (with at least some strategy/goal of winning) and I feel they belong in a group separate from games like Tap Paradise Cove or Smurfs Village.

I believe there are plenty of gamers on mobile platforms willing to spend significant money on products that appeal to them.

I'm still stuck on that one and flying an eagle thru a cave
With that second one, pick the eagle as your starting animal and try and get it through a cave right away - if you fail, then restart.

With the cloud challenge, just keep going for eagles and eventually... one day... in the far, far future... it will happen. And it will be glorious.

how is that Zombies Run game? Anyone played this?

I'll paste my post about it earlier
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37037964&postcount=10457

Steer clear of Zombies Run. I bought it day one at full price and was disappointed.

It completely fails (in my opinion) as an effective fitness tool because it lacks the granularity of data found in something like RunKeeper. There aren't any GPS-specific features so you're somewhat left to your own devices in terms of tracking your progress.

On the "game" side it completely lacks immersion as it disseminates the pre-recorded clips in between songs on your playlist. Maybe that's what some people want but I was pretty surprised. For some reason I was under the impression that it would dynamically generate routes for you based on your GPS location (ie. "they're coming for you, turn left!"). A few friends that also bought it were similarly let down.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I get this error but between two iOS devices. Not sure whether it's a gamecenter issue or a Facebook one though, because they are friends on both.

Googling the issue doesn't yield anything at all either, aside from a single post on toucharcade. Very annoying.

The devs just responded to my email, they said they're looking to fix that issue with a new update next week! :)

Minsc

Gold Member
I'll paste my post about it earlier
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37037964&postcount=10457

Steer clear of Zombies Run. I bought it day one at full price and was disappointed.

It completely fails (in my opinion) as an effective fitness tool because it lacks the granularity of data found in something like RunKeeper. There aren't any GPS-specific features so you're somewhat left to your own devices in terms of tracking your progress.

On the "game" side it completely lacks immersion as it disseminates the pre-recorded clips in between songs on your playlist. Maybe that's what some people want but I was pretty surprised. For some reason I was under the impression that it would dynamically generate routes for you based on your GPS location (ie. "they're coming for you, turn left!"). A few friends that also bought it were similarly let down.

I think it's pretty good actually. Don't care for all the stuff you're talking about, just wanted a quirky little story and it delivers. The whole turn left here thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen when someone runs off a cliff or in to a train due to faulty GPS data or the app mis-functioning. You get "chased" from time to time, and need to increase your pace for a minute.

All that I rate a fitness tool on is how much it gets me to use it... and by that standard, Zombies Run is the most successful one I've bought, even more so than Wii Fit.

heringer

Speaking of non game apps, I'm using Epic Win again and it baffles me nobody took this idea and fleshed out more. It baffles me that the developers themselves aren't willing to update it anymore since they moved on to another project. Talk about wasted opportunity.

I would like Amazing Alex if I didn't have to see his ugly face after every level.

Ichi is fantastic, I feel bad about getting it for free. Awesome music too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of non game apps, I'm using Epic Win again and it baffles me nobody took this idea and fleshed out more. It baffles me that the developers themselves aren't willing to update it anymore since they moved on to another project. Talk about wasted opportunity.

Agreed man. It's really aggravating. Actually it's shocking how shitty tasks apps are overall. Even the beloved Wunderlist is full of flaws and ridiculously barebones. Epic Win could have really been awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom