• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

GrayFoxPL

Party Mode netcode seems fine according to most folks, so the patch should greatly improve the current experience.

And i agree with your review on 100%.... the Andy model is by far the worse.

Then you have characters like Chin with absolutely top notch animations... but oh well... this is SNK learning to do 3D and its a great first step.

First Step? What about FF Wild Ambition, Samurai Shodown 64, Maximum Impact 1, A, 2 etc?

First Step? What about FF Wild Ambition, Samurai Shodown 64, Maximum Impact 1, A, 2 etc?

SNK basically laid off most of their gaming staff to focus on pachinko a few years ago and had to rehire a new team for this game. So they are learning and creating quite a bit from scratch.

mollipen

I actually talked about that a bit in my review, because I went back and played MI2 as part of reviewing KOFXIV. I don't consider those "first steps", because they were games that were inspired by other 3D fighters, and which weren't trying to go for recreating the classic 2D formula using 3D graphics to the level they should have been (or to which XIV does).

Same situation how Street Fighter EX exists, but it wasn't until Street Fighter IV that we got "this is proper 2D Street Fighter, but build using 3D assets".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Completely new team... formed by the old guard.

I don't like this trend of fighters where the training mode settings don't save.
Yeah, it legit grinds my gears.
Same with starting with 0 bars and player 2 with stun enabled... SMH SMH!!

GrayFoxPL

Completely new team... formed by the old guard.

How many of the old guard?

You said SNK and I'm just saying SNK as company has tried to make fighters in 3D for 18 years and every one was "ugly" or "behind the times" graphically, so lets not be surprised about XIV.

And no, saying that "this" SNK is not "that" SNK doesn't change the fact that "any" SNK has failed to make good looking fighter in 3D.

It's just a thing.

You said SNK and I'm just saying SNK as company has tried to make fighters in 3D for 18 years and every one was "ugly" or "behind the times" graphically, so lets not be surprised about XIV.

And no, saying that "this" SNK is not "that" SNK doesn't change the fact that "any" SNK has failed to make good looking fighter in 3D.

It's just a thing.

It's easy to generalize when you don't care about the details, isn't it?

Hyper Neo Geo 64 being a terrible 3D system, the fact that Noise Factory, not SNK, developed KOF:MI, and the fact that the staff for KOFXIV is new and SNK said as much that they are learning 3D development as they go are pretty radically different circumstances, so your "thing" doesn't really mean much.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

It's just a thing.
Im not arguin' that, just saying that devs said they had to "learn 3D".
On a new interview Oda san said that the game started on Unreal @___@ ... and then decided to do a new engine due staff and costs.

My boy Daimon has seen better days .
When it comes to him half the stuff that look like it should work don't
So easy to see how they neft him .

Same for some others but oh well .

Yeah, it legit grinds my gears.
Same with starting with 0 bars and player 2 with stun enabled... SMH SMH!!

Yep it's annoying .

OmegaDL50

I haven't ran through story mode yet, been mainly spending my time in training mode but from what I understand there are several special edit team endings.

I wonder if anyone tried the following to see if they work.

KOF Heroes team - Kyo, K', Shun'ei
Fire, Ice, and Lightning - Kyo, Kula, Sylvie
Original Women Team - King, Mai, Yuri.
Original Kim Team - Kim, Chang, Choi
NEST Ladies - Kula, Angel, Sylvie

I'm sure there are other teams I'm not aware of that probably make sense.

One of my old favorites was from KOF 98 which was the Baseball Cap team consisting of Terry, Lucky, and Clark.

GrayFoxPL

It's easy to generalize when you don't care about the details, isn't it?

Hyper Neo Geo 64 being a terrible 3D system, the fact that Noise Factory, not SNK, developed KOF:MI, and the fact that the staff for KOFXIV is new and SNK said as much that they are learning 3D development as they go are pretty radically different circumstances, so your "thing" doesn't really mean much.

Like if any all those other teams didn't have to learn 3D development. I'm not bashing that process. Primarily because of that every 3D SNK fighter was not pretty, because every time dev had to learn 3D. This is not a new thing. Not a new situation under SNK banner.

I know people want to be like: "Oh this dev is new to 3D let's not be harsh." I get that. That still doesn't change the ugly 3D Snk fighters fact. XIV not an exception.

Is this some alternative reality where it's heresy to say that every 3D fighter under SNK was not pretty? Nothing will change if someone admits it.

BadWolf

Came home and just tried the new Ryo parry, set the dummy to do Kukri's Sand Crusher DM and felt like a million bucks within seconds.

It's legit, you don't even have to do it preemptively. I saw the super flash and then input the parry point blank range and was able to parry the whole thing no prob. In XIII he would have had a mouth full of sand after about the second hit.

Came home and just tried the new Ryo parry, set the dummy to do Kukri's Sand Crusher DM and felt like a million bucks within seconds.

It's legit, you don't even have to do it preemptively. I saw the super flash and then input the parry point blank range and was able to parry the whole thing no prob. In XIII he would have had a mouth full of sand after about the second hit.
Nice. The parry doesn't work on projectiles, only physical attacks, right?

Man the more i play this game the more i feel some characters just incomplete .
Or they just don't stand a chance vs other characters with the way how they make them .

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

This is good. I played my first serious sessions of Online last night (In party mode)... on WIRELESS (DUNDUNDUN), because for some reason, my Wireless side had less lag than WIRED for me in SFV. It didn't feel great for hops, but I was able to pull of Chin and Zarina combos online with no issue. I never saw a slow motion match, either.

Though my online was once... OK... it's not at all the best compared to some of the speeds people have now. So given the fact I was always in a 12 person room on the worse style of connection, I felt pretty decent about what I played. I've yet to see a netcode that I don't have some issues with, or feel like something is off, but I'll have to try again later with full on wires.

As someone who knows jackshit about KoF, why is Chang considered such a weak character?

In this game, it's because some of his buttons seem pretty worthless for normal, straightforward play. They're WAY too slow of can't be cancelled as easily as you'd expect.

Am I one of the few that thought Athena's 13 look was an awesome throwback to her original design? Seems universally hated.

Naaa, I quite enjoyed XIII Athena. Not only do I see it as a throwback to her original self, but I also think it made her much more interesting to not be a skinny, normal idol, and more of a chubby, cute, "baby phat" lookin' one. Whenever I see 80's Japanese pop music, I feel like the classic idols were a bit more plainly-built and relatable. I'd have loved to see a nostalgic Athena being different from a more modern Sylvie.

Well I didnt know her counter juggled, downside is damage is easier and better just to go ex breathe, ex qcb+k's~lk, to dp. Still cool though thanks!

No prob:) I wanted to find something the closest to her old KuruKuru juggles that might show some possibilities to someone more familiar with her, but she seems quite different here... She got SO MUCH METERLESS JUGGLE in XIII, and K' got new trigger-derived options here, that it does feel a bit weird.

I don't like this trend of fighters where the training mode settings don't save.

Like Saving after completely exiting the mode, or when switching characters? It saves for me between chara switch. It would be nice to have a few preset bubbles to save common settings to.

I was excited for Vice, not feeling her though... she feels off. Maybe it's the lack of her lightning legs.

It's clear by now that they see Vice as more of a brute force, in-close character, rather than the old, more hybrid-like one she was before. She excels at MAX usage and can convert the weirdest things into complete combo strings, unique to anyone else in the game (No Takuma getting re-stands off hits in this one!), but for me, I still want more, too. And it doesn't even have to be complex! Like... another command normal that combos off lights, a modified close D (like the 2 hit she had in the past), and chip damage on her Deicide sleeve.

Man the more i play this game the more i feel some characters just incomplete .
Or they just don't stand a chance vs other characters with the way how they make them .

I don't feel anyone is incomplete. I feel there are some characters who are shifted in a different direction, in order to foster unique playstyles between a large cast. Like Maxima obviously isn't who he was in XIII or older KoF's, but he has control over enemy jumps, and juggles like never before, and he's one of few characters that actually gets more damage out of super cancels than MAX mode juggles.

Tung Fu Rue has crazy short limbs, and is "missing" a bunch of stuff he had in The Real Bout of NGBC series. Yet he's one of few people who can cancel his close or far C's into specials of even his command normal, he has very strong corner carry out of MAX mode, and his EX Ressen Kyaku command throw is an easy way to get very quick, solid damage, that can be combo'd into.

That... shouldn't work, lol. The easiest way to fix this would be to force a juggling Strike Arch to cause hard knockdown. I actually really liked seeing her have a way to combo into a Baltic Launcher, and I love how little Slash Saber DM scales after all those hits, heh heh. It really feels like a much stronger DM to me this time, than it was in XIII.

The only characters I feel are "incomplete" are Verse and Anton. Both feel like their toolsets are weak as fuck and got nerfed to hell in order to make them playable.

GrayFoxPL

V5tM1Mt.gif

As someone who knows jackshit about KoF, why is Chang considered such a weak character?

--Very little combo-ability

--Is big, so some characters can abuse jump-ins on him.

--In KOF XIV, his close heavy normals are really terrible, and his old far.C got replaced with a very situational anti-air swing with extremely long recovery.

--His advanced techniques(spinning ball cancelling) are very difficult to do.

Theoretically, Chang could be played like this and be really effective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2gDbxsDDU

But, playing a Chang exactly like this guy's Chang is really difficult. I don't think Chang is outright terrible, but he won't be popular.

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
Luong is a ton of fun. Doesn't have a lot of special moves but man I'm having a blast. Athena I find to feel a little on the floaty side. A lot of characters I want to use. Usually have hard time finding more than one interesting character.

i had high hopes for the billy vs joe dialog and it did not disappoint

also are south town team the only ones with "traditional" style special intros? seems weird that they're in the game, but used so sparingly

Loona

I haven't ran through story mode yet, been mainly spending my time in training mode but from what I understand there are several special edit team endings.

I wonder if anyone tried the following to see if they work.

KOF Heroes team - Kyo, K', Shun'ei
Fire, Ice, and Lightning - Kyo, Kula, Sylvie
Original Women Team - King, Mai, Yuri.
Original Kim Team - Kim, Chang, Choi
NEST Ladies - Kula, Angel, Sylvie

I'm sure there are other teams I'm not aware of that probably make sense.

One of my old favorites was from KOF 98 which was the Baseball Cap team consisting of Terry, Lucky, and Clark.

So far I've seen mentions of:

Athena, Kula, Nakoruru - pretty long hair
Alice, Love Heart, Mui Mui - lucky seven/pachislot
Kensou, Mui Mui, Ryo - dragons
Chin, Gang-Il, Tung - masters
Angel, Kula, Sylvie - NESTS
Joe, Ramon, Robert - tigers
KoD, Nakoruru, Zarina - birds
Anfy, Bandeiras, Mai - ninjas

Hyun Sai

Could play some games against people of my area, netcode is DEFINITELY miles ahead of KoFXIII. That is a relief. We could at least react to hops normally !

Ah, and Capcom, this is how you do a lobby, PLEASE implement those options, it's infuriating in SFV how the thing is stuck 10 years back.

qcf x2

Can't really agree unless you don't like sprite work.

Game is not a looker.

But it plays amazing, which is all that matters. KoF13 was far too dense and execution heavy with. I never found 3 characters I wanted to play in that game, let alone learn indepth HD combos for.

This game has 10 characters I love, the combos are short and sweet, and the game is more about fundamentals than learning long combos (even if those are hype to watch.

To each his own.

I appreciate(d) sprite work, but the problem I have inherently with "modern" application of sprite work is that shit needs to be 1080p to truly be modern and of course nobody is making sprites that are THAT sharp, so they end up looking retro. That's #1. #2 is the palette for XIII was muted, even when they went for colorful it was all washed out and dank looking. #3 some of the characters were just stupid looking. Tf were they going for with Yuri, why does Ralf look like he ate Ralf, #4 this (XIV) generally animates better (smoother), as one would expect with a 3D game.

About XIV's visuals, I'm a little more impressed every day. Tonight I noticed I couldn't force clipping between Love Heart and King, no matter what I tried. Imagine that, a 3D fighter with intelligent limb position/design.

You're actually crazy. 13 had gorgeous sprite work that's some of the best you'll find in the genre and 14 looks like an early budget PS3 game. It's cool if the look of the game doesn't bother you, despite how much I make fun of it I'm none to bothered by it either, but there isn't a timeline or multiverse where this game looks better than 13.

I mean, put them side by side and you're saying a pixellated game looks better? Subjectivity and all that, but for my money I'll take the sharper looking game any day.

All this is not to say I think XIV is a stunner by any means (though the hyperbole is strong to call it an early budget PS3 game, lol), rather I think XIII --while impressive given its medium-- is overrated for the very same reason it is praised.

Am I one of the few that thought Athena's 13 look was an awesome throwback to her original design? Seems universally hated.

Nope, I love XIII Athena, it's her 2nd best design imo. She's one of the characters I thought they really did an awesome job with.

I actually think this game looks half decent, graphics wise...not stunning, but it has some over the top kinda charm going for it.

The prevailing opinion seems to be the gameplay is on point.

--Very little combo-ability

--Is big, so some characters can abuse jump-ins on him.

--In KOF XIV, his close heavy normals are really terrible, and his old far.C got replaced with a very situational anti-air swing with extremely long recovery.

--His advanced techniques(spinning ball cancelling) are very difficult to do.

Theoretically, Chang could be played like this and be really effective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2gDbxsDDU

But, playing a Chang exactly like this guy's Chang is really difficult. I don't think Chang is outright terrible, but he won't be popular.
In this game, it's because some of his buttons seem pretty worthless for normal, straightforward play. They're WAY too slow of can't be cancelled as easily as you'd expect.
Hmm, that's a shame. In Street Fighter, I always gravitated towards the more "heavy-set" characters like Birdie and E.Honda in the previous ones, so I thought Chang would be right up my alley.

Thanks for the info.

Spman2099

I'm really trying to get into this game... It certainly doesn't feel bad... It definitely plays a lot better than it looks. However, I can't think of a single aspect that is done better than XIII. Playing Terry feels a lot less dynamic without ready access to his EX moves (which in general feel more limited in XIV). Moreover, there are some great fighting games on the market right now (especially SFV and Revelator)...

I am going to keep playing and see if I can get more behind it... It certainly isn't awful.

Of course, the inclusion of Vanessa as DLC would be a great way to pull me.

Try Maxima, KOD and Daimon.

It's early to call Chang bad I think, he's just different and needs time to be figured out.
I'm still gonna keep playing Chang. I tried KOD and Daimon and both felt too "grappler-y" for my tastes. I'm gonna try Maxima and I think I might like the guy cause of his armor moves.

Top Bottom