• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

To each his own.

I appreciate(d) sprite work, but the problem I have inherently with "modern" application of sprite work is that shit needs to be 1080p to truly be modern and of course nobody is making sprites that are THAT sharp, so they end up looking retro. That's #1. #2 is the palette for XIII was muted, even when they went for colorful it was all washed out and dank looking. #3 some of the characters were just stupid looking. Tf were they going for with Yuri, why does Ralf look like he ate Ralf, #4 this (XIV) generally animates better (smoother), as one would expect with a 3D game.

I mean, put them side by side and you're saying a pixellated game looks better? Subjectivity and all that, but for my money I'll take the sharper looking game any day.

You've definitely got a point. If the sprites were made for 1080p, how far removed would they be from what we've got in 3D? Conversely, what would the XIV character designs look like if they were made into lower resolution sprites? The character designs are good, and no doubt many would still appreciate the pixelated look. Like 12/13, it'd be a stunning achievement.. and have half the cast. But to most people, it'd just look out of date.

Separately... there's part of me that even prefers 12's fully pixelated look to 13's scaled look! But i'm glad XIV takes nothing away from 13 visually, and also in terms of gameplay. They've made a lot of changes, so there's bound to be some that people will prefer, and others that they don't. I wish i could chain Burning Knuckle into Rising Tackle still lol. But if i want to, i can just play 13 :)

I think one thing that is affecting people's opinion of the visuals is the character size and lack of zooming outside of supers. They're pretty detailed models for the most part, but they don't look as impressive when they're smaller compared to something like Tekken. That scale is a huge part of KOF though (one of 12's missteps) so i'm glad they kept it that way.

BadWolf

--His advanced techniques(spinning ball cancelling) are very difficult to do.

Just tried this, double tap either punch button twice and then immediately press LP+LK.

Pretty much guaranteed to cancel after the first swing, leaves him safe on block.

Instead of mashing punch make sure to tap it 4 times (either double tap twice or hit it 4 times quickly) before hitting LP+LK.

Bardiche

According to LI Joe, this is Xhao Hai's current tier list.

CqyjixuWgAErmOg.jpg

https://twitter.com/thisislijoe/status/769169461479890944

Interesting to see where Mature is placed. I thought she would be higher. It's still early, so we'll see if there are any changes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm really trying to get into this game... It certainly doesn't feel bad... It definitely plays a lot better than it looks. However, I can't think of a single aspect that is done better than XIII.

I loved Drive Canceling in XIII. I think EX "Chains" are better, since they're easier to explain, and make more sense as a feature. As is to say, drive cancels were done well, but trying to tell people when to cancel what and where was like speaking another language at times; it has nothing relatable to other games to make people get it.

Here, with an EX move, you can say "Do the move that causes wall bounce, then the ground bounce special, and then use your super". It's relatable from other 2D and 3D fighters, while still having a KoF feel to it.

Playing Terry feels a lot less dynamic without ready access to his EX moves (which in general feel more limited in XIV).

Not really? You can MAX cancel from block strings, or empty MAX to get much more access to the EX moves, than you'd ever have in a set in XIII. The lack of such easy access to EX moves makes the neutral game much more meaningful, since people can't just EX Special out of stuff at the drop of a hat.

Alongside that, the adjusted invulnerability on moves makes approaching and fishing for meaties and safe jumps much more meaningful. There ARE some very strong, invulnerable, damaging reversals, but they're not nearly as prevalent, and are generally given to character that lack something else (Such as Tung having good reversals, but lacking long limbs for footsies.)

Moreover, there are some great fighting games on the market right now (especially SFV and Revelator)...

I am going to keep playing and see if I can get more behind it... It certainly isn't awful.

Of course, the inclusion of Vanessa as DLC would be a great way to pull me.

Definitely depends on taste. I didn't really enjoy XRD as much as I'd have liked to (I only really got fun out of playing Ramlethal), and still don't have Revelator. The game felt like my Brother and I had went through all the fun gameplay content in the first few hours of play, and with only really liking to play 1 or 2 characters in the cast each, it got to be the same matchup over and over much too often. I feel like ASW makes characters that only really feel truly fun after a certain level of play and dedication. Their beginner and intermediate stuff isn't often that satisfying to me anymore, which I really dislike overall.

SFV has a cast that was frontloaded for me, and for the Brother, he got barely any old mainstays he liked. The first YEAR of DLC didn't add too much personal excitement at all, either, even though some previously disliked charas are turning out much better than expectations.

I probably enjoyed KI more over the past few years than either of them, honestly. Which is something I never thought I'd say, lol. It's character have been so lively, and mechanically-unique, that SF felt a lot more overly-grounded and non-exciting as a full product, in comparison. I find KI characters satisfying at any level of play, and even characters I hate by design and origin (I care nothing for General RAAM, his boss fight was possibly the worse I ever played, lol), are actually really fun to play around with in the game.

I feel the same about KoF here. I couldn't have fully predicted basically any new characters method-of-play from their trailers, and I can already see how they'll change as time goes on. Deciding where in the order to put the same character basically makes them something almost totally different. Been playing since Release, with weeks in the demo before that, and there's still characters I haven't played, or gotten fully comfortable with yet. And I... actually wanna try out everyone.

Things feel frickin satisfying even at a "Footsie->Fireball->DM->SDM" or "B&B->Special-> CDM" Level for a new character one is just feeling out. As you start to learn them, you can shift them between anchor, mid, or point. A Leona that uses meter only for MAX cancels is a different one that saves it all for DMs, which is different than one that plays only with B&Bs, saving the meter to make one's pocket Chin into an insta-cross-up monster. Yet meter gains so nicely in this game, that I don't have to feel that the only person I'll get to go all-out with is my Anchor, as I did in some other KoF's; feels more like Red-Health Desperation mode in older KoF's where Flashing life meant YOU GET A POWER GEYSER, AND YOU!, lol.

Hmm, that's a shame. In Street Fighter, I always gravitated towards characters like Birdie and E.Honda in the previous ones, so I thought Chang would be right up my alley.

Thanks for the info.

Don't get me wrong; you can get a lot of mileage from just doing short hop C and CD with Chang. His jump CD in particular covers a LOT of space, and does 90 damage on regular hit and 110 on counter; 10 or so of those and you win the fight.

I mean, he's not a character where you'll be doing MAX mode combos with, you'll just be hitting normals with the occasional lunging ball(charge back, forward+punch). If you can gel with that, then give Chang a try.

Just tried this, double tap either punch button twice and then immediately press LP+LK.

Pretty much guaranteed to cancel after the first swing, leaves him safe on block.

Instead of mashing punch make sure to tap it 4 times (either double tap twice or hit it 4 times quickly) before hitting LP+LK.

You're right, it's not as hard as I initially thought, but I don't think it's easy. The timing of using a kara spinning ball on his crouching D and standing B is not easy to do. You pretty much have to start double tapping a punch button at the same time you hit a kick button. If that's not something you're used to doing, then it will be difficult.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
One thing I wonder about for Chang is if MAX canceling his normals on-hit into either blocking, or just to get in close for mixup, could be a thing.

I think K.O.D and Maxima feel like better versions of what he's going for (and many would argue Daimon, though I've never been comfortable with him), but then one time I MAX-Canceled a footsie light kick into his EX command throw was good fun, lol.

Xevren

Finally got to meet up with some people for offline matches and god damn I love this game. Pretty set on Robert/K' as second and third but still playing around with who I like most on point. Probably Mature but still just trying everyone out.

DR2K

Banned
I don't really understand how to approach team building. It makes more sense in terms of games like Marvel where there's cross over gameplay. I just don't know what the best way to handle it is. Plus learning all these characters is overwhelming. I'm having a blast destroying my wrist in training mode:

Sayad

I don't really understand how to approach team building. It makes more sense in terms of games like Marvel where there's cross over gameplay. I just don't know what the best way to handle it is. Plus learning all these characters is overwhelming. I'm having a blast destroying my wrist in training mode:
Don't think too much about it, team synergy is nowhere bear as impotent in KoF as it is in Marvel, especially at low/mid level.

Just put the character you can dish out the most damage with last, and the character you're most comfortable with using without depending on meter first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How is the netcode?

For now, best in party battle, with a patch incoming.

Easiest way? Slot them into places that allows you to play them as you want. If you're meter hungry with someone, put them last. If you don't use much, put them in the beginning.

It is overwhelming to a degree, but that's were all the universal systems come in. You know you always have some form of aggression with hops, some type of quicker movement with runs, solid hitstun with a CD move, and a good "Get off of Me!" move with a CD Blowback attack. Use these to fill in for what you don't understand as character specifics yet, and then fill in the rest as time goes on.

Sayad

Yea, once you learn the game with one or two characters, picking new new characters in KoF is the easiest in any fighting game. It's why for most KoF fans, underwhelming graphic is a sweet trade off for 50 characters. You'd hardly find a serious KoF player who only use three characters.

Ozz1m

Neo Member
Was super keen to pick this up on PSN... but yet again Aussie consumers get rekt :(

The game is $92.95 on the PSN store for Australia which is crazy considering all other new releases weren't even close to that much.

Will need to now go to a local retailer to get it for the expected price.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Saw this on Twitter, Antinov can link EX Shoulder into ANOTEHR EX should over and over for Shenanigans:

https://twitter.com/Antinomy001/status/769303250730381312

I actually really like this on him, he seems to lack in certain things, so this is kinda ridiculous but mildly fair.

----

Oh, and on the "Verse Sucks!?" Camp, I feel like he's almost an MK character in a KoF game, lol. That command grab that makes them defenseless and float towards you is such an MK style move, like something Ermac or Quan Chi would have. Then he has multi-position teleports and normals that are different for the sake of being different... definitely feel Antinov is the better of the 2. Which is good, as I feel he's the one that'll stick around.

Was super keen to pick this up on PSN... but yet again Aussie consumers get rekt :(

The game is $92.95 on the PSN store for Australia which is crazy considering all other new releases weren't even close to that much.

Will need to now go to a local retailer to get it for the expected price.

That's a sucky price indeed, but I'm not sure it takes the crown from Dariusburst, which is still $90.95 almost a year after release :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What's the timing on Maxima's follow-up punch after his command grab? I can never seem to get it.

Pretty much right after he slams them into the wall. And for some reason, he can't super cancel the punch anymore, so you need to super cancel the plant into the wall instead, not the punch itself.

To practice it, just run into a corner in training, and keep slamming them into it after they wake up, until the timing on the punch feels natural. It's not exactly the same as it was in XIII for me, so I flub it up myself, even if MAKUSHIMA is one of my favorite charas lately.

Pretty much right after he slams them into the wall. And for some reason, he can't super cancel the punch anymore, so you need to super cancel the plant into the wall instead, not the punch itself.

To practice it, just run into a corner in training, and keep slamming them into it after they wake up, until the timing on the punch feels natural. It's not exactly the same as it was in XIII for me, so I flub it up myself, even if MAKUSHIMA is one of my favorite charas lately.
Ah okay. Yeah, it was frustrating me to no end how I couldn't get it to come out when I was playing online earlier. I never cared for Maxima before, but for some reason I'm really opening up to him in this game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ah okay. Yeah, it was frustrating me to no end how I couldn't get it to come out when I was playing online earlier. I never cared for Maxima before, but for some reason I'm really opening up to him in this game.

It's because his Downforwad C "M9 Prototype" Is incredibly boss in this game, right? XD

Really, there's been times when that command normal was nearly worthless... then it got better in XIII, but it still missed at certain ranges... now it confirms easily off lights, it oddly a better anti-air than ever, and even can hit people who are crouching very convincingly, even when not combo's into.

And then you get an old budget version of his Maxima Scramble rekka special with his rush combo, lol. I still miss MONGOLIAN and REVENGAAAA, but he makes up for them with having utter raw power in this instalment.

Who are the more agile/rushdown like characters? I like to play Millia in GGXrd, so kinda looking for somethign like that.

Kyo, Iori, Nelson, Mai and for "weird reflective hair fireball" on wake-up, you might wanna try Hein and his grounded fireball that cancels into a command dash. Shun'Ei also has access to Air Dashes (done with fireball motions), so that might feel somewhat comfortable to you, too. You might also like Athena, who can cover with nice normals, toss a fireball, and then chase after it with a teleport. There probably at least 1 character on each team that might fit your desires, so make sure to give them a try, and check out the trials and combo vids online to see the kinda setups they have.

How do you change the scrolling text on Neo Esaka again? I'm providing a setup for a tournament today and I wanna set it to something dumb.

pronk420

I like to ask this for every fighting game, even though it usually doesn't make much sense: who plays the most similar to Akira from VF? In stree fighter I like Makoto.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How do you change the scrolling text on Neo Esaka again? I'm providing a setup for a tournament today and I wanna set it to something dumb.

Part of the online profile, when you select your 3 favorite stages. I'm actually not sure if it shows up offline.

I like to ask this for every fighting game, even though it usually doesn't make much sense: who plays the most similar to Akira from VF? In stree fighter I like Makoto.

For me, this is always answered by "Who has a Tetsu Zankou"? Errr... does anyone have one here....? I... dunno! Anyway, I'd suggest people like Ryo, Tung Fu Rue, and Kinda Mui Mui and Gang-IL. They have bits of traditional, hardcore martial artist flavor that feel similar to Akira and Makoto.

Pookmunki

Played a couple of rounds with my 8 year old.

A few choice quotes:

"This old man packs a punch!" (Chin)

"Clark's the only one going extinct today!" (Clark vs Dino)

"That guys asleep, easy! And he just threw his pillow away, that's all he had going for him!"

Game passes the litmus test, fun times ahead :)

He is such a mini me!

BadWolf

Played some more party battle and there is definitely potential for the netcode to end up good after they fix the other modes.

Had two sessions, joined rooms whose region was set to Japan. All 6 of us had 1 bar connections and... it was very, very playable. Did a ton of combos with Terry and Maxima, including super cancels into max cancels.

It really hit me that the netode had potential when the other guy jumped with Geese and I buster wolfed his ass on reaction. On 1 bar connections.

They seriously need to fix this crap about the host leaving and the entire room closing though. We have like 12 freaking people in there from all over the place probably and everything is lost in an instant.

Kinda felt bad for winning by using my old faves so switched to a new character and oh boy did Kukri and me connect instantly. This guy is fun and good as heck, kicked so much ass with him.

BadWolf

Skab

Question for you guys. What sort of button lay out do you guys use? Do you dedicate a button to max mode activation?

This is the first time I've ever really dived into a KoF game, and I'm having trouble with max cancels. Specifically, theyre so damn fast that i feel like i cant get my hand across the stick fast enough lol.

Question for you guys. What sort of button lay out do you guys use? Do you dedicate a button to max mode activation?

This is the first time I've ever really dived into a KoF game, and I'm having trouble with max cancels. Specifically, theyre so damn fast that i feel like i cant get my hand across the stick fast enough lol.

I have an eight-button stick so aside from the obvious ABCD buttons I have two buttons for AC and BD respectively (to make inputs for EX Specials and Climax DMs more precise) and one button for MAX activation. It's worked out well so far!

Hyun Sai

Seems like they weakened throws even more, I won't complain lol.

I play on pad, I've got shortcuts for max mode, roll, both punchs and both kicks buttons. The real important thing for me is to not fuck up the roll input, it can be VERY dangerous lol.

Whoah, Go1, the Chun Li player from SFV is in the tournament ! Of course, Athena and Nakoruru, full lame as usual LOL

^GO1 is awesome. He's amazing at Melty Blood too. Very strong player.
How is the netcode?
Very, very hit or miss. It's kind of busted for everything but party mode, so the game will run in slow motion sometimes. It uses a delay based netcode which is very iffy too. I've have games where hop C turns into hop, stand, far C. I don't think it's very good compared to other non-NRS fighters out right now. But, we'll see what happens with the patch.

My layout right now is:
A C MAX
B D CD

I normally don't use buttons for dedicated button combos, but since it's only four buttons and the game is pretty speedy, it's more reliable to use one for MAX mode cancels IMO. Plus you can double tap the button to do something like C MAX C into stuff easier.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Played some more party sessions and yup, Kurki and me... we were meant to be.

I find the fact his Far D is a slide-ish thing, AND cancelable to be SO WEIRD. It's pretty cool, though.

My Fun chara of the day has been Athena. I ignore her so much in KoF, but she's SO FAST here... and I've loved the idea of her having a teleport and command throw for a while now.

I've been using a Pad since my Stick has had diagonal issues for a while now... and yeah, I honestly use R1 for MAX shortcut in this game, lol.

On a Joystick, I'd use either Classic SNK line, or the default 4 button box setup. I wouldn't use a shortcut on a Stick personally, but the amount of auto-run and hitstun off most MAX starters feels kinda generous in this game, to me.

Hyun Sai

I've been using a Pad since my Stick has had diagonal issues for a while now... and yeah, I honestly use R1 for MAX shortcut in this game, lol.

On a Joystick, I'd use either Classic SNK line, or the default 4 button box setup. I wouldn't use a shortcut on a Stick personally, but the amount of auto-run and hitstun off most MAX starters feels kinda generous in this game, to me.[/QUOTE]

Well, at high level, MAX mode from lights is obviously no joke, judging by the drop rate in thsi tournament lol

BadWolf

Whoah, Go1, the Chun Li player from SFV is in the tournament ! Of course, Athena and Nakoruru, full lame as usual LOL

... and he already kicked Sange's ass. Damn.

Sange was one of the better XIII players and won tournaments often. It's good to see him main Leona again.

I find the fact his Far D is a slide-ish thing, AND cancelable to be SO WEIRD. It's pretty cool, though.

My Fun chara of the day has been Athena. I ignore her so much in KoF, but she's SO FAST here... and I've loved the idea of her having a teleport and command throw for a while now.

I was marveling at his far D in practice mode and then totally forgot out it during matches lol.

Yeah Athena feels like a threat for sure.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I swear team "Another World" is actually "Team BS Awesome Normals".

Well, at high level, MAX mode from lights is obviously no joke, judging by the drop rate in thsi tournament lol

Even THAT I'm finding much easier than I ever did in 2K2UM or XIII. Like... I'd rarely ever hit those before. Now I'm kinda more like 50/50? And it's normally less the fact it's a short confirm time, and more than I'll press the wrong normal, or turn a, say, crouching C into a fwd+A command normal into a cr.C -> QCF+P motion, due to not going back to neutral between the crouch and command normal presses....

BadWolf

Some Maxima notes:

- His cr. A seems to have more push back than cr. B. So if you are comboing from two crouching lights into df+C>Vapor>Vapor super then use cr.B>cr.A or the super will whiff if you use cr.A>cr.A.

- His new lazer super finally gives him a good long range option but it has really, really bad recovery.

- His anti-air grab feels faster?

- He can no longer cancel his guard points with special moves?

- In XIII he could cr. A at point blank range (block or hit) and then do a normal over the opponent to cross them up with jumping C, this no longer works. The cross up whiffs.

BadWolf

Wow, that Mature combo.

Sounds like the commentator is a big Love Heart fan, telling people that he knew her from the pachinko games, thanking SNK for including her and asking people to support her lol.

Top Bottom