• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Neoxon

I guess the main thing to look for would be anyone who is either really good at building meter going up in front and anyone relying heavily on meter being in the back, but I think each member of your team fits pretty well in any role. Your anchor slot should just go to either the character you're most comfortable with or the one who can make the most use of the extra meter.
I feel the most comfortable with Athena, but I feel like it's a tie between Athena & Geese in terms of who's gonna use more meter. From what I recall, I did get a number of meter-free combos with Geese, but his meter combos can be painful.

Hadoukie

Z7HeRxU.png

It's a DLC costume request for girl with purple hair and pink sparkly powers. It's not that serious.

And it will sell like gangbusters when they put it in

Are there any good Nakoruru videos? I don't have a copy of the game myself due to lack of PS4 but I wanna be ready for locals. Honestly, the last few times I was getting away with WAY too many ground slash follow ups to safety >.>

Also, are there any official lyrics for Follow Me? I can understand like 90% of it now but I just can't fucking understand properly what that other 10% says =_=

Tizoc

Right now I'm feeling like Athena/Terry/Geese will be my main team. I may try to learn Antonov & have him switch with either of the three depending on the match-up if I have the time.

Is the main team in a good order, or should I change the characters' positions a bit?

Which of them has the best MAX mode combos? That's the one you want to save for last methinks.

Which of them has the best MAX mode combos? That's the one you want to save for last methinks.

Geese does have 75% off of his counter super with 5 bars, which is a nice thing to keep in mind if you make good reads. I don't know much about Alice but Geese and Terry are pretty similar in terms of MAX damage / ease of use, so it's between Geese and her I think.

Fraeon

I just finished KOFXIV's trials. Which doesn't much since the trial mode has easier trials than your usual 2 bar bnb for any given character.

I know XIII's trials were brutal but these erred a bit too much on the easy side. The only one's I had trouble with were Angel's and Nelson's trials and those mostly because of how unorthodox their controls are compared to the rest. I mean, I thought trials were more of representation of what's possible in the engine rather than just "here's a combo, here's a combo with a super cancel, here's combo with a max cancel into super..."

Also interesting to me is that the autocombo is practically useless unless you just want to finish your opponent off with something that you can't fuck up. I know, they're for beginners but giving intermediate and higher level players a reason to use them every now and then would also have been okay. I mean, UNIEL lets you continue combos in and out of autocombos so there's that.

As far as the characters go, I'm really like Love Heart from the new characters. Meitenkun is also fun and Yuri is the same as her XIII incarnation pretty much... except for the fact that they removed the super cancel from her butt.

I think people will soon realise that Geese is not that great in last position. 3 good players that i know already switched him from last to first position.

Tizoc

Wait wait wait; how many EX moves can one do with a 3rd character's MAX gauge compared to a 1st character's MAX gauge?

Geese does have 75% off of his counter super with 5 bars, which is a nice thing to keep in mind if you make good reads. I don't know much about Alice but Geese and Terry are pretty similar in terms of MAX damage / ease of use, so it's between Geese and her I think.

How often would one even utilize that counter super? This combo video showcases the stuff Geese can do with MAX combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqRSDuiwQo

Loona

Also interesting to me is that the autocombo is practically useless unless you just want to finish your opponent off with something that you can't fuck up. I know, they're for beginners but giving intermediate and higher level players a reason to use them every now and then would also have been okay. I mean, UNIEL lets you continue combos in and out of autocombos so there's that.

May opinion may not be worth much on this matter since I ave terrible execution, but in my limited experience so far playing through story mode I've found the auto combos useful to punish blocked moves - while apparently the optimal thing to do tends to be a close hard attack -> command normal -> special or something along those lines, from a blocking motion using the hard buttons tends to lean towards a throw if I don't drop the back direction quick enough - focusing on the light attacks instead seems to help for me, espeically if i'm using a grappler, since I suck at grappler motions, and for those characters the auto combos lead into super or special throws, the latter of which at least let me use the power bar with them somewhat reliably.

shaowebb

After playing this I am rather befuddled at how free both Antonov and Verse are as boss characters. Is this the first non SNK boss syndrome title in KOF history?

You can add stuff to the front of the autocombo at least, if not the back.

cr.lk into autocombo seems to be a pretty good meterless option off a low for most characters. With meter you can do a lot better usually, but still.

Loona

After playing this I am rather befuddled at how free both Antonov and Verse are as boss characters. Is this the first non SNK boss syndrome title in KOF history?

Possibly - it's pretty much the 1st time a mainline KoF was released for console with no arcade release, so there's no quarter-muncher incentive, which additionally makes it simpler to have more characters they put development time in available for competition.

is there a collection of all the pre-fight dialog?

Posted in the previous page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VII_BoA8LU

Look like Kensou and Mui Mui are going on a date - forget Sylvie, the dragon gal is bringing Athena's age to an end.

Neoxon

I use Athena, not Alice.

yagal

If by SNK boss syndrome you mean very hard, no. KOF2000's boss is a joke, the true one is Robert

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finally got some Training mode time... and got damn, Clark is kinda lame :(
He doesnt have gattling attack loops, his f+LK doesnt link, no autoguard on SAB ...
smh ... SMH

Hyun Sai

Finally got some Training mode time... and got damn, Clark is kinda lame :(
He doesnt have gattling attack loops, his f+LK doesnt link, no autoguard on SAB ...
smh ... SMH

After doing some training with Andy, he was quite crippled as well in some areas. Normals got less range, Kuhadan does less hits and is less safe, the shoryu lost TONS of invincibility, I don't even know if it's full invincible anymore.

He gained some stuff too, so what did they give Clark in exchange ?

He gained some stuff too, so what did they give Clark in exchange ?

f+B remains an overhead when you chain into it, it's also super cancellable
far C into Running Three connects
far B combos into sweep
light SAB has more range
hcf+P is probably the fastest it's ever been, no need to confirm and cancel a CD to get it after a wall splat
close C super cancellable on the second hit
can chain 3 cr.B, cr.B is special cancellable
new far D anti-airs at a nice angle

close B is some extreme ass tho

One thing I wish they would have done:

When you have all your bars and use use LP+HP or LK+HK to do a super, it performs a more cinematic version of the super (is it any stronger btw?) and it's just a lot more visually pleasing. I wish they always had this effect, even when you didn't have all your bars.

- - -

I think SNK's key to success for making money off this game will all depend on DLC. I don't know how appealing this game will be the GP, given the graphics, but I think the people who own it have fallen in love with it. Give us DLC costumes and stages, keep us hooked, lots of fan service will bring in lots of money.

I also would not be salty if they created a F2P version like DoA has. I want them to have enough money to make the graphics of the next KoF beautiful.

Loona

I also would not be salty if they created a F2P version like DoA has. I want them to have enough money to make the graphics of the next KoF beautiful.

This - with 50 characters and a rotating cast based on the amount available in the demo this could be worthwhile, at least after SNK release some DLC outfits for all the characters or something.

Hyun Sai

Given all the characters we have I want them to go nut in the color / costume DLC department.

Ah it would be nice to have some host migration for the lobbies ! And for Orochi's sake, don't reset our training settings each time we leave the game...

I am not sure if this is true for other games, but I noticed that pushing the home button on the ps4 controller doesn't pause the game during story mode. I went to answer the phone real quick when a match started and came back to round two with my character at half health.

I didn't have anything like online matchmaking on. I always thought the game paused when you used the home button.

When you have all your bars and use use LP+HP or LK+HK to do a super, it performs a more cinematic version of the super (is it any stronger btw?) and it's just a lot more visually pleasing. I wish they always had this effect, even when you didn't have all your bars.

Those are level 2 supers yeah, cost two bars.
But I wish they didn't have those cinematic things at all. I liked it better when it was just blue flash for level 1 and red flash for level 2. Keep things as fast as possible.

But I wish they didn't have those cinematic things at all. I liked it better when it was just blue flash for level 1 and red flash for level 2. Keep things as fast as possible.

Really? I think it adds flavor to have the cinematic tid-bit. I really like that about Street Fighter.

Loona

DoA5 has something like flashy dramatic and more static technical camera modes - it might not be a bad idea for 2D fighting games to implement such an option for the startup animations on supers.

While at it, it'd be nice if fighting games implemented subtitles to translate everything characters say during an actual fight, unlikely as it may be that modern fighting games can find some room for that in the middle of all the power bars and whatnot.

Korigama

It's going to be quite some time before I get to play this for myself (did use the online store to claim that theme and the Kyo alt after finding out here that they were free, though). That said, I was actually quite happy to hear that Follow Me not only made it into the final game, but also serves as the main theme. Thought it really hyped up the early trailers that used it.

BadWolf

Feeling a lot of salt from people for using Zarina. One must have been an SF4 player because he sent a remark about all Capo fighters being POS lol.

So far feeling the most comfortable with Kukri, Zarina and Terry.

Kukri is damn good, just a total badass. Benefits a ton from raw activation. Has good hit confirms and lots of tricks. Quick max is meh. Advanced cancel is weak. Climax cancel is good mid screen but almost completely whiffs if used after a psycho sand crusher DM in the corner.

Zarina benefits a ton from quick max, basically confirming into max combos all day with her. Due to this I think twice about raw activating because it renders her best hit confirm useless. Both advanced and climax cancels work great and hit for full damage. Has nice range on her normals. Special moves are unsafe so hit confirming is very important.

Terry is super solid all around. High guard break potential.

Will try more Luong today. Gotta be careful against smaller characters btw, her horizontal flick kick tends to miss on them when they crouch.

Lot of LP mashers in mp.

Rush combo users?

Count your blessings that they don't know actual combos :p

After doing some training with Andy, he was quite crippled as well in some areas. Normals got less range, Kuhadan does less hits and is less safe, the shoryu lost TONS of invincibility, I don't even know if it's full invincible anymore.

The horizontal range on his DP really sucks now, makes it a lot less useful for combos.

His elbows are much safer on block now though.

f+B remains an overhead when you chain into it, it's also super cancellable
far C into Running Three connects
far B combos into sweep
light SAB has more range
hcf+P is probably the fastest it's ever been, no need to confirm and cancel a CD to get it after a wall splat
close C super cancellable on the second hit
can chain 3 cr.B, cr.B is special cancellable
new far D anti-airs at a nice angle

close B is some extreme ass tho

My biggest issue with Clark is that he lost his ability to hit confirm from a close heavy into specials.

Pompadour

The last thing KOF supers is are fast. A lot of the big, flashy Climax supers are shorter than the weaker supers. The problem is that it's KOF tradition for characters to have a super where they basically do all their normals consecutively.

Feeling a lot of salt from people for using Zarina. One must have been an SF4 player because he sent a remark about all Capo fighters being POS lol.

Or a Tekken player! Heh heh.

---
Does anyone know where one could find KoF14 frame data? Specifically looking for Mian's right now.

Follow TSS Atma on Twitter, he'll get around to it eventually. Some of the work he's done on the demo is available but partly no longer valid so he'll revise that too. Can't really expect the whole thing before a while since he's doing it all by himself.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, guess it'll take a while if it's just one guy doing it by himself. Suppose the record function in training mode will be my best friend until then.

The last thing KOF supers is are fast. A lot of the big, flashy Climax supers are shorter than the weaker supers. The problem is that it's KOF tradition for characters to have a super where they basically do all their normals consecutively.

Ranbu supers aren't even too long either, they're not even a problem to me I want those to stay. It's really just the animations with cinematic camera angles that I wish would just go and be reverted to a simple super flash. Basically have all supers act like level 1 supers, just change the color of the effect.

---
Does anyone know where one could find KoF14 frame data? Specifically looking for Mian's right now.

Follow TSS Atma on Twitter, he'll get around to it eventually. Some of the work he's done on the demo is available but partly no longer valid so he'll revise that too. Can't really expect the whole thing before a while since he's doing it all by himself.

TreIII

Admittedly, it's been tough trying to balance my training with Dinosaur with earning my Marks in Nioh.

But that just makes life all the more interesting~! Will add my stuff to the Google doc later today.

qcf x2

- - -

I think SNK's key to success for making money off this game will all depend on DLC. I don't know how appealing this game will be the GP, given the graphics, but I think the people who own it have fallen in love with it. Give us DLC costumes and stages, keep us hooked, lots of fan service will bring in lots of money.

The supers do more damage at level 2, yes. A lot more. You don't need to be in MAX mode either, you can just press two buttons instead of one when you do the motion. ;) I think the way they handled it is perfect, as level 1 supers aren't anything to write home about at all; most characters can do just about the same damage with a special move.

Karsha

How do you get the Classic Kyo skin in EU? I heard you can get it for free till tomorrow but can't find it anywhere on the store...

stn

Can someone explain KOF footsies to me? The only SNK fighters I ever really put heavy time in were FF2 and FF Special. I noticed KOF has a ton of jumping, hopping, and whiffing air normals half-way across the screen.

BadWolf

Feels like no one is playing Gang-Il.

Spent a little time with him in training mode yesterday, will probably try him online today.

- Unlike Kim and Loung's air Hangetsuzans, his doesn't knock down and instead leaves him positive enough to connect a heavy normal after and continue comboing. He can also combo it after a jA.

- His stomp is an OTG.

- His overhead doesn't combo like Luong's and you can't quick max it like Kim's but instead it leaves him positive enough on hit to be able to link a sB, which you can then quick max from.

- DP+K kick combination is jump cancellable on the last hit.

- EX HCF+K is also jump cancellable on the last hit.

Haha true, though at least those guys are getting a break from Capo's with T7 so far.

Feels like no one is playing Gang-Il.

Spent a little time with him in training mode yesterday, will probably try him online today.

- Unlike Kim and Loung's air Hangetsuzans, his doesn't knock down and instead leaves him positive enough to connect a heavy normal after and continue comboing. He can also combo it after a jA.

Haha true, though at least those guys are getting a break from Capo's with T7 so far.

Actually its his B version that doesn't knock down, the D version is a hard knock down I believe.

O. Marin

BadWolf

Can someone explain KOF footsies to me? The only SNK fighters I ever really put heavy time in were FF2 and FF Special. I noticed KOF has a ton of jumping, hopping, and whiffing air normals half-way across the screen.

Check out Juicebox's KOFXIII vids in the OP, they have a lot of in depth info about KOF mechanics. Here is also an excellent introduction to KOF for new players by DandyJ.

To put it simply KOF has a lot of mobility options as you already know, all of that is basically part of KOF's footsies. So instead of just walking back and forth and whiffing normals you are jumping, hoping, back dashing, running and rolling all over the place. And this is before even taking into account the unique character abilities.

Whiffing air normals is basically active defense in KOF. By jumping and whiffing an air normal you are thinking to yourself that the opponent might jump at you and are preempitvely putting up a wall there. So instead of waiting around for your opponent to jump and then anti-air them you are taking the active approach with your defense.

Finally got a session of solid matches online. This game is sooo good when it works. Let's hope the upcoming patch knocks every issue out once and for all.

Played party battle the entire weekend and the netcode was simply fantastic. If they can fix the bug in the other modes and get it to PB levels then I'll be in heaven.

Actually its his B version that doesn't knock down, the D version is a hard knock down I believe.

O. Marin

True, the two versions are different.

Top Bottom