• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROMhack

So funny to see people discredit a 96 formed from 80 reviews... "I feel like it's more a 80". This is the cherry on top of all: is going to sell a shit ton of copys, it has fenomenal reviews (probably Goty), and the haters have the butt hole hurt... Can't go better lol.
Looking at the bad reviews... They're so funny some times because they don't look like a game review but more like a "political stand point" like Polygon saying "we are better than this... Ellie doesn't rappresenta a real human of 2020". Are you fucking kidding me? Are we gonna give Halo Infinite 3/10 because we humans are better than this... We welcome Aliens we don't kill them if they come.
Again: great reviews, great sales (it matters because games with this tipe of budget are produced more often if they sell more so is a win for us gamers), and buttholeburning haters.

Buttholeburning is a fun hobby.

Last edited:

wolywood

My prediction: Ellie shoots/strangles a bunch of people, feels bad about it, realizes that "humans were the real monsters all along." Roll credits.

McCheese

Half of these reviewers can't even look at a naked woman, and mark games down for coming out at the wrong time.

Yet the most violent game ever made, with lesbian sex, gets a 10/10.

Will wait for some real impressions.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
This is hyping me up to say the least.

I will say, it's always funny seeing such broad differences between different IGN branches. IGN US - 100, IGN JAPAN - 70, lol.

Will wait until user reviews come up. I really wanted the multiplayer, so I might wait a bit longer to buy it. Maybe for the PS5.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Is anyone actually surprised by these scores?

I mean there are so many reasons why even if a reviewer wanted to give it a lower score they still wouldn't ( fear being one, and if you lot think that it's beneath Sony to pay for reviews or threaten with lost support you don't know a lot about Sony. They're a scumfuck company. Or people simply don't want to cause a fuzz with their friends in the industry. ).
And these games are like the equivelant of Oscar bait in the game industry.

If you like these games then more power to you, but they do pander pretty hard to mainstream audiences where there's a lot of overlap between movies and very casually playing video games.
I am not saying that it makes the games bad, what I am saying is simply that there's a lot of unfair bias in favor of them.
Games with way better gameplay and more original ideas and writing don't get as much attention and love because they don't have the kinds of money Naughty Dog have to throw around wildly. Your game looking impressive in terms of graphical fidelity and not being broken is basically a guaranteed 10/10.

I sorta look at these games as the MCU or Oscar bait of the movie industry.
Pretty shallow and surface level but very high production value and caters hard to the average joe.
You're free to enjoy it, I enjoy a lot of dumb shit myself.
But considering how much praise these games and the MCU gets and how they take over all of the splotlight I feel like one is more justified to be more critical towards them.
Just because a game has great graphics fidelity doesn't guarantee it'll get a 10/10

See Ryse, The Order 1886, Anthem

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
BTW guys:
wQFKdml.png

1 in France
1 in UK
1 in Mexico
1 in Japan
1 in Australia
2 in Canada
2 in Italy
2 in Spain
3 in Germany
4 in US

Only cards are ahead. If TLOU2 isn't 1, generally 1 is a PSN card. Wonder what people want to buy? :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:
The champ is here

The Skill Up reviewer that doesn't like the game is on Twitter practically begging for forgiveness for the negative review. He is in fear for being honest. This is how bad it's gotten. I will not back down until things change. I will turn this shit inside out.
The problem is not the game being good or bad, it is the Hive mind behavior behind it. Haters and defenders are fighting a meaningless war. But the Skill Up and other review mentioned something about the embargo being very restricted of what they could talk about, and that I don't like. But I'm still waiting to see the user reviews.

The majority of progressive left „print“ media rates this „milestone“ highly...

surprisepikachu.jpg

This was to be expected, especially after the very negative press this game has gotten. This will most likely divide critics and users. The issues surrounding the review embargo are a bit worrying. I still don’t really know if I’m buying it next week or so,day in the future.

ethomaz

Banned

surprisepikachu.jpg

This was to be expected, especially after the very negative press this game has gotten. This will most likely divide critics and users. The issues surrounding the review embargo are a bit worrying. I still don’t really know if I’m buying it next week or so,day in the future.
I will never call an avg. 96 as being divisive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

thief183

Btw, why noone is talking about the restriction that have been given for the review? We skipped some games for less than it,

Gonna be so fire in 5 years time on GAF when we're gonna get threads like "Yeah, this game is like... a 7."

Not trusting the reviewers but I want it to be a strong 8 at the very least in my eyes.

ethomaz

Banned
Btw, why noone is talking about the restriction that have been given for the review? We skipped some games for less than it,
What restriction? Reviewers can't spoiler the game? Crazy but I 100% support that.
It is basically a non-issue even more after the all "leaks" discussion.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I've cancelled my preorder. This is the first time I've ever down this. 🤷‍♂️

The Skill Up is enough for me to justify my decision. He recently did a TLOU review, and everything he said about the game was exactly how I felt about it (years ago). Which doesn't happen often.

So, hearing what he has to say about TLOU2 is more than enough for me to pull out. Sounds like a lot of the core gameplay is very similar to the first, rather than a vast improvement like I wanted. Which for me is enough to withdraw. TLOU was, to me, a mediocre game surrounded by an incredible story and characters. I'm sure it will be the same here, if not lesser.

Maybe I'll buy it when it drops in price, or I'll just watch a play through.

Dunno. All I do know, is that I'm now $80 richer, lmao.

Last edited:

pLow7

surprisepikachu.jpg

No issue at all. It's just that talking about them would result in huge spoilers. If you watn to know what it's about, check the Spoiler Threads.

Bkdk

Banned
My most excited youtube walkthrough game for the year, not interested in playing it one bit bit will certainly finish watching the playthrough once, and very interested at some reviews.

leo-j

It will divide critics and users. I’m talking Userscores, the haters will vote this down.

I can see this turning into the next Death Stranding trash fire.

nah. It’s going to sell 15 million copies and Will be hated by the anti liberal people.

thief183

Ok so, I'm starting to get interested on the game so I'm looking to all the reviews and most of them looks kinda strange. There is a total disparity from what we see in the gameplay from whatthe reviewer say. (Apart from the graphics, that's some awesome sht there, even if during gameplay I didn't see a lot of huge drawn view).

For example, Allie can now swim and it can be used to surprise enemies.... well... welcome in 2020.... it is not new and it should be a shame that it wasn't in the first one.

During the combat animation it looks like the npc are waiting for the player to dodge in order to continue the attack, anyone here who already played the game that can give me more context?

ethomaz

Banned
User reviews aren’t out yet though and there is already a divide among non industry reviewers like SkillUp.

Give it two more weeks.
That is not how divisive works.

You need something half to half.... like half below 8 and half over 8.

One won't lower score (8) in like 100 doesn't make something divisive.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Absolutely insane review scores. Say what you will about Naughty Dog, but they have skills.

That said, I fear Sony has done them a disservice by removing the embargo right after they showed one of the most controversial console designs in many years. The talk is all about the PS5, not TLOU2.

Matsuchezz

This has been an excellent week. Yesterday show and this is fucking beautiful.
I agree with people that not everyone has to like the game as much as i do. That is fine. What i do not understand is how they have to be in every single thread about something they don't like but they are bitching about it. It is childish and stupid.
What is the thought behind that? I will let the forum know for the 1000th time that i wont buy it and i wont enjoy it.. that surely will teach them not to like the games i wont play.

Last edited:

thief183

What restriction? Reviewers can't spoiler the game? Crazy but I 100% support that.
It is basically a non-issue even more after the all "leaks" discussion.

They can talk and show about 4 hours of the game, they can't show anything from the second half, and from many of the first half of the game

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok so, I'm starting to get interested on the game so I'm looking to all the reviews and most of them looks kinda strange. There is a total disparity from what we see in the gameplay from whatthe reviewer say. (Apart from the graphics, that's some awesome sht there, even if during gameplay I didn't see a lot of huge drawn view).

For example, Allie can now swim and it can be used to surprise enemies.... well... welcome in 2020.... it is not new and it should be a shame that it wasn't in the first one.

During the combat animation it looks like the npc are waiting for the player to dodge in order to continue the attack, anyone here who already played the game that can give me more context?

The dodge mechanic is more like a QTE and you need to do it in order to progress certain melee fights

Also who’s Allie

ethomaz

Banned
Absolutely insane review scores. Say what you will about Naughty Dog, but they have skills.

That said, I fear Sony has done them a disservice by removing the embargo right after they showed one of the most controversial console designs in many years. The talk is all about the PS5, not TLOU2.
Well the events was scheduled a week early to be fair.

ethomaz

Banned
They can talk and show about 4 hours of the game, they can't show anything from the second half, and from many of the first half of the game
I appreciate that.

They played the full game and shared what they thought about it (it is awesome).
They don't need to spoiler the game or talk about specifics.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gamersky:
The Last Of Us: Part II is not only the greatest masterpiece Naughty Dog has ever made but also the best story-driven video game of all time.

Shacknews:

The Last of Us Part 2 is not for everyone. It is a dark and riveting experiment. A symphony of madness, revenge, and brutality. It is the song of humanity’s greatest darkness, and an absolute delight to partake in. The fine folks at Naughty Dog have outdone themselves this time around. The clever blend of cinematics and gameplay all come together perfectly to create an unforgettable experience that rivals some of the greatest classics in American cinema. All that’s left to do now is see it for yourself.

Gamespew:

It’s more than a game; it’s a work of art.

Gamingtrend:
From start to finish, this could be the best game on the PlayStation 4 -- ever.

Digitally DL:
it makes me wonder why we’re even bothering with a “next generation.”

Atrus

Gold Member
I finished reading the Gamespot review this morning and found the first bullet of 'the bad' confusing:

"Much of the violence you inflict goes unexamined, which makes the gruesomeness of it just unpleasant"

Are people supposed to be moralizing their decisions in a post-apocalyptic world? Should Mad Max be engaging in a philosophical quandry about the death of the flamethrowing-guitar player? Is the Punisher an offensive character because he kills shitbag criminals and he likes doing it?

I'm not exactly sure what sort of examination they'd expect to be reasonable. What say you Doomguy? Shall we dwell on the implications of savagely killing the unlimited forces of hell?

Dazfeeder

I've cancelled my preorder. This is the first time I've ever down this. 🤷‍♂️

The Skill Up is enough for me to justify my decision. He recently did a TLOU review, and everything he said about the game was exactly how I felt about it (years ago). Which doesn't happen often.

So, hearing what he has to say about TLOU2 is more than enough for me to pull out. Sounds like a lot the core gameplay is very similar to the first, rather than an improvement. Which for me is enough to withdraw. TLOU was, to me, a mediocre game surrounded by an incredible story and characters. I'm sure it will be the same here, if not lesser.

Maybe I'll buy it when it drops in price, or I'll just watch a play through.

Dunno. All I do know, is that I'm not $80 richer, lmao.
So you pre-ordered a sequel to a game you didnt really like in the first place? lol

Top Bottom