• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Chao

Received the game today from Amazon.

Seasoned player, finished survivor mode a few months ago.

Can I just say grounded mode is fucking brutal?

The fact that they can knock you out with a single punch is really cool and realistic but HOLY SHIT is this hard. At the part right before
meeting Robert
and I've been killed like 20 times.

Also, the graphics are so fucking good. It's funny how a port of a PS3 game manages to look better than stuff like Watch Dogs which came out recently and was made with PS4 specs in mind. 60 fps are a godsend too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I saw this running today in a shop, and I noticed a HUGE fail: near the beginning of the game, while you escape with your brother and you enter in a...restaurant? Well, the texture of the restaurant didn't pop, there was a huge pink rectangle on the floor, then BAM, it appeared :l

Never saw anything similar in PS3 version.

I had a glitch where some particles were permanently stuck to the screen and I had to reload to get rid of it. Really weird.

Only trophy worth getting.

Cool. Thanks. I'll look into them. I've been using the Creative Fatality headset for years now. Need to look into some new ones.

This is my first wireless headset and it has been a godsend! My son has a lot of sensory issues and sudden noises like gunshots or surprise crashes, etc. can make him really upset even if he is all the way on the other side of the apartment.

I bought these with christmas gift cards on a whim and they have really been awesome. My wife thought it was a waste but now she really appreciates them too!

I'm finding the outdoors environments to look quite blocky and undetailed (perhaps because game is huge?) I am currently at the annoying first clicker section.

Its not like Uncharted 2 (and 3) where the entire game is gorgeous environment wise. was this a small team versus those games? (This isnt a criticism, I think the gameplay of TLOU is way better than U3 for example)

It doesnt help that some aspects look stunning, like the character models and texture upgrades. Interiors tend to look better too. Its like the FFX HD remake where some places look amazing, and some aspects look really rough.

I'd have preferred a $60 tomb raider style definitive edition where they remastered all the environments as well (rather than mainly just have better textures and high resolution).

Gameplay wise, its a big upgrade since 1080p and 60fps makes the combat very impressive.

So personally, I think its overpriced at $50 as someone who already had the PS3 version. I'd rather they upgraded all of it, including the outdoor environments, for $60 or given me a discount say $30 digital upgrade for having the PS3 disc in the drive.

For someone who never played the game before I think $50 is a fine price.

Cool to see Fez for PS4. I pretty much held out on buying it considering I felt like it would be a shoe-in for plus.

I came close to purchasing it but I already had it on 360 and never got too far. I also couldn't support Phil Fish after his ridiculous comments about streamers basically being pirates.

One-Shot

Banned
I'm finding the outdoors environments to look quite blocky and undetailed (perhaps because game is huge?) I am currently at the annoying first clicker section.

Its not like Uncharted 2 (and 3) where the entire game is gorgeous environment wise. was this a small team versus those games? (This isnt a criticism, I think the gameplay of TLOU is way better than U3 for example)

It doesnt help that some aspects look stunning, like the character models and texture upgrades. Interiors tend to look better too. Its like the FFX HD remake where some places look amazing, and some aspects look really rough.

I'd have preferred a $60 tomb raider style definitive edition where they remastered all the environments as well (rather than mainly just have better textures and high resolution).

Gameplay wise, its a big upgrade since 1080p and 60fps makes the combat very impressive.

So personally, I think its overpriced at $50 as someone who already had the PS3 version. I'd rather they upgraded all of it, including the outdoor environments, for $60 or given me a discount say $30 digital upgrade for having the PS3 disc in the drive.

If you already have the PS3 version why wouldn't you just trade it in? I got $30 for mine when I traded it in a few months ago.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Holy cow man. PS3 remaster be damned. This is one hell of a upgrade. I would even go as far to say it is the best looking next game so far. Just looks incredible. Screenshot comparison do not do this remaster justice.

Received the game today from Amazon.

Seasoned player, finished survivor mode a few months ago.

Can I just say grounded mode is fucking brutal?

The fact that they can knock you out with a single punch is really cool and realistic but HOLY SHIT is this hard. At the part right before
meeting Robert
and I've been killed like 20 times.

Also, the graphics are so fucking good. It's funny how a port of a PS3 game manages to look better than stuff like Watch Dogs which came out recently and was made with PS4 specs in mind. 60 fps are a godsend too.

I got through the Robert part fairly quickly on Grounded. I might have died maybe 5 times but it's mostly about being stealth and only killing when you have to, some people you can just sneak by.

TR already had much better looking \ assets version thanks to the PC version.
While TLOUR looks nice you can still see it's PS3 parts .

you are not alone because i was shocked to find out the closest gamestop near me was also sold out. they only had copies for people that preordered. i only went there because i wanted to use the 5$ dollar gamestop credit. went to a mall and they had a few left so that was good. looks like this should sell pretty good too.

Yeah; I never really go to Gamestop, but decided to utilize the $25 trade in to get the game half of. I called another Gamestop and they said they had four copies left. I arrived maybe 15 minutes after calling and picked up the penultimate copy; game seems to be doing quite well indeed.

Daximuss

The game doesn't seem to recognize that I had the season pass on PS3. All the DLC is still coming up as paid :/

That's strange, I had the season pass on PS3 and when I went to access the DLC for the PS4 version, all of the stuff I had downloaded on the PS3 was listed as free for me.

Mindman

So one annoying thing about the visuals...

During the
downtown
part early on, they intentionally jack up the gamma and it washes out the picture to the extreme, dampening what would have been an awesome looking area with correct gamma. Why do devs sometimes do this? It looks awful. Is it supposed to simulate fog or something? As I understand it, this effect isn't used much in the rest of the game thankfully.

I am so glad I made it a point to avoid all gameplay videos, spoilers etc since this launched for PS3 like a vampire avoiding sunlight. It has been so worth not knowing anything about it before playing.

Just finished Winter and my God this game just keeps bringing it.

The picture is too crisp. I never realised how angular these graphics are. I almost prefer the smooth subtle blur from the PS3 version.

I play console games to escape this kind of stuff. I don't like the way this industry is heading.

Anyone know if they fixed the
infinite shiv
"exploit" for single-player mode? Haven't gotten far enough to test that out myself yet.

drotahorror

My uncle and cousin are playing it for the first time. Lucky them. My uncle managed to get in about 3 hours before bed, talked to him today and he said he loves it. He also usually plays on Normal difficulty but I had told him that I didn't see much difference from Hard to Normal to Easy. (watched another cousin play through it on easy, I played on Hard first time on PS3). Luckily my unc started on Hard. I'm glad he did since you do have to manage your resources a bit.

Anyways, this is my second playthrough since the game came out. Absolutely amazing still. Naughty Dog games are some of the very few games that I have played through multiple times (minus 8bit/16bit games and games that encourage multiplay playthroughs).

Also, 60fps is fantastic. Can't wait to jump into MP which is something I didn't play much, but did enjoy, on PS3.

The picture is too crisp. I never realised how angular these graphics are. I almost prefer the smooth subtle blur from the PS3 version.

I play console games to escape this kind of stuff. I don't like the way this industry is heading.

Its an issue with being a PS3 only game. Your seeing fairly basic-detail PS3 environments (a tenth of usable memory for example) re-used & upgraded to 1080p so its going to look bad versus a native game. I imagine their next gen games are going to look amazing.

Also, 60fps is fantastic. Can't wait to jump into MP which is something I didn't play much, but did enjoy, on PS3.

Between this and wolfenstein, I am very disappointed the borderlands "sequel" isnt on PS4 since I would love to play borderlands 2 at 60fps.

The interiors and combat in this game are so impressive at 60 fps.

bombshell

Any word yet on a multiplayer patch? Took forever to find matches with other Gaffers last night.

Probably does not need a patch to improve, probably just needs a server live fix, you can keep up with any of these updates if you check the numbering in the top right corner in the MP lobby.

Any word yet on a multiplayer patch? Took forever to find matches with other Gaffers last night.

Its broken? I tried to play MP last night but didnt find a single player. I tried a private match and it seemed to be in loading mode forever.

ugh back at work with meetings.

not a bad game but dont get all the 10/10's

environments are a mixed bag, a lot look really blocky and undetailed (though they did a fantastic job on the characters and achieving 1080p 60 fps)

game tells me to hold in L3 to sneak without alerting clicker, clicker hears me anyway. get the prompt to triangle kill them? randomly doesnt work.

I dont have enough bullets becase I couldnt store man than 14 bullets for my revolver in my giant backpack?

I'm so frustrated with the clicker gameplay. This is like a 60fps 1080p version of condemned (which I loved) so its so disappointing to find the clicker sections a complete chore to play through.

As a someone with around 7 playthroughs under my belt including Grounded, I can't explain how funny it is to see someone:

1) Not reading the prompts properly (you forgot the keyword "softly")
2) Failing to kill them anyway with the enormous amounts of ammo at your disposal
3) Complaining that those enormous amounts aren't enough.

plainr_

it was amazing

Thanks for sticking through! It's weird, I've never streamed a game for more than 15 minutes ever before. It was quite fun.

So one annoying thing about the visuals...

During the
downtown
part early on, they intentionally jack up the gamma and it washes out the picture to the extreme, dampening what would have been an awesome looking area with correct gamma. Why do devs sometimes do this? It looks awful. Is it supposed to simulate fog or something? As I understand it, this effect isn't used much in the rest of the game thankfully.

This is true. I could barely see anything during that section.

EL CUCO

Its broken? I tried to play MP last night but didnt find a single player. I tried a private match and it seemed to be in loading mode forever.

They had "connection error" last night, but after that fix I was able to play in the "parties only" lobbies with no problems. However, the "no parties" option seems to be completely broken, ATM.

As a someone with around 7 playthroughs under my belt including Grounded, I can't explain how funny it is to see someone:

1) Not reading the prompts properly (you forgot the keyword "softly")
2) Failing to kill them anyway with the enormous amounts of ammo at your disposal
3) Complaining that those enormous amounts aren't enough.

I think some people expect TLOU to be like Uncharted with zombies, then when they play the game for themselves they are disappointed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Me earlier in the thread

I just watched the new 60fps gamersyde vids and it looks very impressive.

If I were really impulsive I'd get a PS4 for this, but I must respect my 'wait til Bloodborne' mantra

but goddamn if it isn't tempting

k3aNXDX.gif

xtWpu4y.jpg

I've beaten this game twice already. I regret nothing.

andycapps

Probably does not need a patch to improve, probably just needs a server live fix, you can keep up with any of these updates if you check the numbering in the top right corner in the MP lobby.

Could be, just wondering if anybody from ND had commented about that yet. We waited for several minutes, we'd back out and get back in, wait several minutes, back out, and one of the times we'd get in we'd get into a lobby almost instantly.

Eventually we gave up and got 8 people together and setup a private match. Only downside is no survivor points. But it was a great match.

Yeah, lot of "locating the best game" type messages, over and over for minutes at a time.

played for first time last night. and the hype is real. this game is just amazing.

4 hours straight and i can't wait to go home and play some more tonight. yippppy

Gaz_RB

The game doesn't seem to recognize that I had the season pass on PS3. All the DLC is still coming up as paid :/
Did you actually purchase all the season pass content on the PS3? I had to go through and buy it all on PS3 and then it showed up for free on PS4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Did you actually purchase all the season pass content on the PS3? I had to go through and buy it all on PS3 and then it showed up for free on PS4

Just did that and it worked. Never downloaded any of the MP stuff
KuGsj.gif

Just got it for Left Behind+The Grounded Doc. Still worth it.

Top Bottom