• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

goonergaz

anyone gone digital having noise issues? it's my only complaint about the PS4...I'm fairly certain with KZ it was the disk installing at the start of every level so hopeful it don't be too bad for digital purchasers

jaosobno

Like others are saying, my PS4 is also extremely loud when playing this. Guess it must be quite taxing on the hardware.

You know what I find fascinating? The only games that make my PS4 loud are:

Infamous
Killzone
TLOU

All first party games. I guess 1st party studios really push the system.

I just played a little, HOLY SHIT 60FPS FEELS SO SMOOTH, I had forgotten how smooth it felt after playing Destiny.

I'm gonna carry on playing tonight, so I can get all immersed with my headphones on. Two questions:

1. Is it me or is the disc still spinning in the console while you're playing, even after it's finished installing?

2. What should I have my dynamic range set to if I'm playing in 5.1?

d00d3n

anyone gone digital having noise issues? it's my only complaint about the PS4...I'm fairly certain with KZ it was the disk installing at the start of every level so hopeful it don't be too bad for digital purchasers

I haven't had any noise issues (PS4 digital ssd).

I just played a little, HOLY SHIT 60FPS FEELS SO SMOOTH, I had forgotten how smooth it felt after playing Destiny.

I'm gonna carry on playing tonight, so I can get all immersed with my headphones on. Two questions:

1. Is it me or is the disc still spinning in the console while you're playing, even after it's finished installing?

It's almost 50GB even though the initial install has finished and you can play, it will take a fair while to fully copy all the disk content over to your HDD. PS4 games let you play well before they are finished installing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yet you can't start it on Survivor+.

You couldn't even with the glitch since you are still required to complete the game before you can start any form of New Game+. go back and read the glitch description:

With the exception of your weapons (which you will have to pick up again), you will retain all of your upgrades from your first playthrough.

Originally you had to complete the game on any difficulty before Survivor was unlocked. So if done properly it would take 3 full playthroughs to get all the single player trophies.

The glitch allowed you to bypass having to play the game on survivor and go straight into Survivor+, but you were still required to complete a regular playthrough.

Since Survivor is unlocked from the start there is no need for the glitch.

Darksol

I'm loving the second playthrough even more. I'm especially taking note of the dialog; it's sad when I hear Ellie make comments that
obviously have to do with Riley.
The feels, man, the feels.

It's almost 50GB even though the initial install has finished and you can play, it will take a fair while to fully copy all the disk content over to your HDD. PS4 games let you play well before they are finished installing.

I like to let games fully install before I start them, just a habit of mine. I thought it finished installing but noticed the disk was still spinning while I was playing. How long should it take for this game?

One-Shot

Banned
Like others are saying, my PS4 is also extremely loud when playing this. Guess it must be quite taxing on the hardware.

My sounds is too loud for me to notice if mine does this or not lol.

I tried the 30fps switch last night and yeah seriously forgot how jittery it is. I don't understand why anyone would play that way.

JB1981

Game is so hard to play on the Vita. Damn. Switching the L1/R1 control scheme helps but precise aiming is nigh impossible. I bought some grips that help but I think I will be playing this exclusively with the DS4. Handhelds have a ways to go compared to console controllers

StuBurns

Banned
I turned on 30fps mode, and I seriously think I lasted about half a second. I was with Tess just outside the room when you have to retrieve the plank for her, I flicked it on because the game had dropped a few frames, and I thought maybe I'd prefer the consistency, turned the camera and literally laughed.

It's poisonous.

But, you only need these checkpoints if you are dying. If you are dying, then it isn't as easy as you proclaim, is it?

Seriously? Sorry I can't pull off a no death run through on Grounded. The gameplay in this game is not as good as people make it out to be.

Raptor

Aiming is not bad, I was expecting some incredible bad aiming, is just normal realistic aiming, I adjusted the second time I had to use my pistol, I land pure headshots when I use it, not always tho Im on a The Road simulation up here, no bullets at all, gotta save all.

I died for the first time on the building that is all sideeways, the first time you encounter
clickers
, not because I can't deal with them, is because I fucked up and thought their AI was dumb like other games lol, one single mistake and they go after you and one single bite and Im gone.

Is a little hard but I can manage.

murgo

You couldn't even with the glitch since you are still required to complete the game before you can start any form of New Game+. go back and read the glitch description:

Originally you had to complete the game on any difficulty before Survivor was unlocked. So if done properly it would take 3 full playthroughs to get all the single player trophies.

The glitch allowed you to bypass having to play the game on survivor and go straight into Survivor+, but you were still required to complete a regular playthrough.

Since Survivor is unlocked from the start there is no need for the glitch.

I don't understand something here. To unlock Survivor+, you have to play through survivor, right? Using the glitch you could play through the game on normal, thus unlocking normal+. You start normal+, play the first chapter, and then continue playing survivor+.

Or do you actually unlock every + mode after playing through it once on any difficulty?

Pimpwerx

My PS4 gets loud all the time. I probably need to clear the vents though. I haven't done so since Christmas. I'm all digital. This was the case even at Christmas though. My PS4 fan likes to spin up for most games. PEACE.

Vitanimus

Not sure if anyone will know, but I bought the US version of the game digitally for the uncensored MP that I'm playing on my UK/EU account. My UK/EU account has the PS3 season pass; will the DLC from the season pass work with the US version of the game? I'm guessing no, which would suck, but if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Played some SP last night. Oh so sexy. Photo mode is a dangerous thing as well I learned. Time goes by in a flash...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This game just clued me in that my PS4 audio settings were all wrong. I had HDMI set as default output, instead of optical, and my optical receiver settings didn't even have DD5.1 and DTS enabled. I started wandering why TLOU was only recognizing 2.0 sound setup, and lo and behold it's because the console was for whatever reason setup that way. When I set it up the way it should be, I started getting the expected DTS output from it, and the game sounds *insanely*. It's some top shelf Hollywood movie audio mixing quality there.

AGoodODST

Really enjoying going through it again at my own pace, enjoying some of the dialouge I missed or skipped past. The bit where Ellie finds the joke book is amusing.

My PS4 gets loud all the time. I probably need to clear the vents though. I haven't done so since Christmas. I'm all digital. This was the case even at Christmas though. My PS4 fan likes to spin up for most games. PEACE.

Me too, however it's on a media rack in a closet - so I don't hear it when gaming. It still disturbs me when I do hear it when I have an occasion to mess with gear.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For those of you that never played the PS3 version and are curious what it looks like just watch a recorded video of the PS4 version from your own console and you should get a very accurate indication of how much of an improvement the PS4 version is.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't understand something here. To unlock Survivor+, you have to play through survivor, right? Using the glitch you could play through the game on normal, thus unlocking normal+. You start normal+, play the first chapter, and then continue playing survivor+.

Or do you actually unlock every + mode after playing through it once on any difficulty?

Yes, using the glitch you COULD play the game on normal and then go into Survivor plus.

Little point if you ask me though unless your goal was to take advantage of the additional resources offered up in normal.

However, unless Normal gives you additional parts to upgrade your weapons and supplements (I'm not sure, but I do know that there is more bullets, and crafting items) then honestly there is not much of an advantage to starting in normal instead of survivor.

daveo42

Banned
So I figured out what was wrong with my Elite headset last night. It helps to turn on the VSS if you want to use it in game. The App updated last night too with a profile for the game. The voice for its selection is kind of creepy and funny all at the same time.

I made it to
Bill's town
late last night and called it quits for the evening, taking a few extra pics along the way. Was it just me, or did the spores in the underground segment prior to leaving Boston seem way thicker and even more yellow than it was on the PS3? It was almost suffocating for me and I don't remember that at all from the old system.

Yes, using the glitch you COULD play the game on normal and then go into Survivor plus.

Little point if you ask me though unless your goal was to take advantage of the additional resources offered up in normal.

However, unless Normal gives you additional parts to upgrade your weapons and supplements (I'm not sure, but I do know that there is more bullets, and crafting items) then honestly there is not much of an advantage to starting in normal instead of survivor.

The advantage is having the shiv, health, and a few of the other upgrades already available from the beginning to help limit item use. Having a shiv that lasted more than one hit for the majority of the 2nd playthrough was a godsend.

antitrop

I made it to
Bill's town
late last night and called it quits for the evening, taking a few extra pics along the way. Was it just me, or did the spores in the underground segment prior to leaving Boston seem way thicker and even more yellow than it was on the PS3? It was almost suffocating for me and I don't remember that at all from the old system.
The banding on my television was unbearable. It's possible that part may have looked better for me on PS3 because of that, but I can't even remember how it looked before.

murgo

I see. So what happens now when I finish my TLOUR game on hard? Do I only unlock hard+?

d00d3n

I made it to
Bill's town

Many people are experiencing this issue, but it is not entirely clear to which extent it was present in the PS3 version as well. It is probably related to incorrect too high gamma/brightness levels for the downtown level. If you decrease your tv brightness by a lot you will be able to see okay in that area.

The game finally finished installing, took way longer than other games have. I like to wait for the disc to stop spinning/installing before I play a game, I'm weird like that.

I also tried the 30fps lock and it was SO jittery. I don't remember Destiny or AC4 feeling like that, but it may just have been because I changed from 60 to 30 in an instant.

daveo42

Banned
The banding on my television was unbearable. It's possible that part may have looked better for me on PS3 because of that, but I can't even remember how it looked before.

I tried adjusting some of the settings on my TV to make it a bit better, but I gave up after a few minutes. There were still times when Joel would be completely yellow too. I kind of like the "suffocating" effect of it, but I couldn't see shit unless I was underwater.

I see. So what happens now when I finish my TLOUR game on hard? Do I only unlock hard+?

You unlock the NG+ mode of the difficulty you completed and all easier modes. It was a nice go-around on the PS3 as you would have needed to beat the game three times to get trophies for every difficulty. With Survivor and Grounded now available at the start and not automatically unlockable, you can clear them all in just two goes if you wanted.

Many people are experiencing this issue, but it is not entirely clear to which extent it was present in the PS3 version as well. It is probably related to incorrect too high gamma/brightness levels for the downtown level. If you decrease your tv brightness by a lot you will be able to see okay in that area.

Yeah I saw that, but thought people were talking mostly about the outdoor scenes when you first leave the Boston Safe Zone, because everything had a horrible white haze on it.

Guys, want to see if I've experienced two conversation bugs (pressing triangle), they're both mid game:

when Joel and Ellie walk into a boys bedroom in a house during summer, Ellie asks to speak to Joel about something important. Joel pauses for a second then just says "not now Ellie". This is never explained.

Second one was when Tommy hands you the picture of your daughter at the power plant. The screen stays on the picture of his daughter for a good five seconds then the triangle button appears for a split second then he hands it back to Tommy saying " no thanks" or something. I even restarted that scene and can't get the triangle timing right at all.

Pilgrimzero

Replaying this on PS4 (dang it looks good aside from some jaggies I've noticed, like sunlight streaming through a window onto a wall).

I decided to play it on Hard w/ no Listen.

Now, previously on PS3, I beat it on Normal and Survivor. Normal was cream cheese but Survivor was a bitch and I am never doing that again. Thus Grounded can also bite me.

Anywho, I am surprised about how not Hard, the Hard difficulty is. Maybe because I played it on Survivor where I literally had nothing. Ammo and Supplies where always in very short supply.

Survivor was basically maybe enough stuff to craft 1 of each item at a time that didn't share resources (IE Med kit or Molotov), if I was lucky. Half a clip or less of each gun was normal, if I conserved.

Normal, ammo and supplies ran over. Everything was mostly constantly full and never an issue.

Hard I thought would lean more toward survivor, but really it does seem to be the "sweet spot". I have about a full clip on each gun most of the time, but I do run out of ammo for say the Shotgun but the Rifle will have a clip etc. I'm never really with out range power.

Supplies though, are overflowing. I even toss blades onto my melee weapon cause I find so many of them. On Survivor it was a blessing to craft a Molotov but on Hard I make them left and right. I'm full on Shanks all the time.

I would say that's the only thing that needs rebalancing. Don't dry bones me like in Survivor but maybe keep it to where I can craft 1-2 of each item as needed. I should never be full of anything.

Guys, want to see if I've experienced two conversation bugs (pressing triangle), they're both mid game:

when Joel and Ellie walk into a boys bedroom in a house during summer, Ellie asks to speak to Joel about something important. Joel pauses for a second then just says "not now Ellie". This is never explained.

Second one was when Tommy hands you the picture of your daughter at the power plant. The screen stays on the picture of his daughter for a good five seconds then the triangle button appears for a split second then he hands it back to Tommy saying " no thanks" or something. I even restarted that scene and can't get the triangle timing right at all.

Neither of these are glitches.

I'm pretty sure that is how both of those encounters are supposed to play out.

murgo

You unlock the NG+ mode of the difficulty you completed and all easier modes. It was a nice go-around on the PS3 as you would have needed to beat the game three times to get trophies for every difficulty. With Survivor and Grounded now available at the start and not automatically unlockable, you can clear them all in just two goes if you wanted.

Shit, so I gotta play Survivor or Grounded twice then. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom