• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Going to give it 3 episodes before I toss it aside. 1st episode is always the world building kinda slow episode that just sets up the season. But if after 3 nothing moves forward, I'm out.

...so that happened. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. I liked some bits of it but I had to stifle laughter during other scenes. I guess I'll watch a few more.

Meh. I'll go look up a book summary or something because I'm mildly interested in what the rapture was, but not enough to watch the entire season.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Going to give it 3 episodes before I toss it aside. 1st episode is always the world building kinda slow episode that just sets up the season. But if after 3 nothing moves forward, I'm out.

I was going to give it 3, but then I remembered Damon Lindelof is behind this and I'm not going to get Lindelof'd. Nope, no way. Not me.

I'll probably end up watching it next week.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
here we go...let the lindelof hate flow through your veins...and blame him for a book he didnt even write...if you hate the story blame the author not the lindelof

paskowitz

So the dogs play a bigger part of the show or what?

I'm confused as fuck.

Aliens?

yesitis2.gif

royalan

The most interesting part of this episode was the ending with the dogs.
I bet they're aliens

And again this concerns me, because this is what Lindelof does every time. He writes complete-shit characters who can't carry a show via their own interactions, and then he hooks you with this mystery bullshit that he just keeps piling on.

What was with the dogs? Who was the hunter guy? How'd he know what was up with the dogs? Was Kevin even awake or was he dreaming?

Unfortunately, the rest of the show wasn't engaging enough for me to want to stick around for the answers. I'm giving this one more episode, then I'm out.

FTF

...so that happened. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. I liked some bits of it but I had to stifle laughter during other scenes. I guess I'll watch a few more.

Meh. I'll go look up a book summary or something because I'm mildly interested in what the rapture was, but not enough to watch the entire season.

I'm teetering between these feelings as well. I'll give it 3 episodes I think, then just look up the book summary if it doesn't get better.

LOST was confusing as hell too but at least it had one of the best pilots ever. This was one of the worst pilots ever. Especially by HBO standards.

Lindeloff can't write a show that you don't need a 900 page wiki to understand.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. I've got to wonder what HBO is going to do -- what compelling TV have they got coming for Sunday? GoT, sure. BWE is in its final season, as is True Blood (mercifully). Anyone know of any upcoming series to fill the void? Oh yeah, True Detective -- that's good.

i don't even know why i have hbo anymore

i don't watch game of thrones

i liked silicon valley decent enough

boardwalk is cool

true detective season 2 seems like a ways off and who knows with a new cast

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. I've got to wonder what HBO is going to do -- what compelling TV have they got coming for Sunday? GoT, sure. BWE is in its final season, as is True Blood (mercifully). Anyone know of any upcoming series to fill the void? Oh yeah, True Detective -- that's good.

terrence winter is working on a show with mick jagger about rock n roll after he wraps up boardwalk empire.

Ok now I know its based off a book and reading the wiki. Boy does this show/book sound dumb as fuck. Also the wiki is just as confusing as the show. Dear lord.

The most interesting part of this episode was the ending with the dogs.
I bet they're aliens

And again this concerns me, because this is what Lindelof does every time. He writes complete-shit characters who can't carry a show via their own interactions, and then he hooks you with this mystery bullshit that he just keeps piling on.

What was with the dogs? Who was the hunter guy? How'd he know what was up with the dogs? Was Kevin even awake or was he dreaming?

Unfortunately, the rest of the show wasn't engaging enough for me to want to stick around for the answers. I'm giving this one more episode, then I'm out.

I can't tell if serious about that dogs part. The dogs went wild for some reason after their owners went poof, dogs reverted back to primal instincts and pact mentality and go to town on wild animals.

Don't know the importance of it yet, but I'm getting a feeling it's going to be foreshadowing "Putting down wild dogs" when it comes to those white coat folks. I don't think that other hunter was real, I think it's probably part of Kevin's subconscious about facing the reality of those people and what is going to happen sooner or later.

I guess I'm the only one who's interested in this show, I love the premise and thought it was a pretty good pilot.

Also, I think some of your guys are too fucked up by LOST. The director already stated they won't focus on the mystery or try to hook people with more bullshit, that this season will be able to stand alone without any type of cliffhanger. Knowing that I'm just going to enjoy what they do with these characters and how fucking insane shit is going to get.

But hey, I never watched LOST, so I have that going for me.

TeRey09

Wayne was the best part of this Pilot for me, he was creepy and made me extremely curious about why that girl needs protecting. Plus I wonder what he did for that Senator?

So what's everyones theory on what happened to 140 million people? I'm thinking Rapture and the 'shit' Wayne was alluding to is the Apocalypse and that girl is a key figure in it.

i don't even know why i have hbo anymore

i don't watch game of thrones

i liked silicon valley decent enough

boardwalk is cool

true detective season 2 seems like a ways off and who knows with a new cast

The "second tier" shows on HBO are not bad at all -- VEEP, Oliver, Silicon Valley, etc.

terrence winter is working on a show with mick jagger about rock n roll after he wraps up boardwalk empire.

A miniseries? Masters of the Air (I think that is the name) will be cool too.

Ok now I know its based off a book and reading the wiki. Boy does this show/book sound dumb as fuck. Also the wiki is just as confusing as the show. Dear lord.

Yeah, I just read the wiki summary. Doesn't seem like they explain the event and the summary just sounds dumb. I think I'm out.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I wanted to like this but I am not feeling at all. I might check out the next ep but this was a big disappointment for me. the smoking cult shit is so stupid and cringe worthy, I can't really even stand to watch it when they are on smoking and writing shit on notepads to one another.

Gray Matter

the actress that plays Jill is pretty... So theres that

My new crush, every time she came in screen it was lovely

Anyways... I didn't watch lost so I don't get the criticism that lindelof receives but I was amazed by this 1st episode. There were some weak parts like the cult scenes but I'm really interested. Will keep watching.

Wayne was the best part of this Pilot for me, he was creepy and made me extremely curious about why that girl needs protecting. Plus I wonder what he did for that Senator?

So what's everyones theory on what happened to 140 million people? I'm thinking Rapture and the 'shit' Wayne was alluding to is the Apocalypse and that girl is a key figure in it.

I don't think we will ever get an answer about what caused it. I honestly just think it happened, and from there people are going to be the soul cause of any type of shit that goes down. I mean, the whole premise is showing how bad human nature can get, so I think having outside forces other than the initial set-up would horribly conflict with the theme of the show.

I don't think it's the rapture, they established the wide range of people who went poof, and it's pretty random when it comes to morality and religion. If I were to have a theory, I would just guess it was a dimensional rift that caused people to simply poof out of existence in our dimension.

Blader

It was alright. I think my main issue with the show -- which I knew was gonna be a problem right from the first trailers -- is that I don't really buy into the premise. Not the rapture part, but the massive social upheaval and breakdown.

Not that I can really gauge how accurate of a reaction that is anyway -- my closest point of reference is 9/11, which isn't really close -- but a lot of the drama here didn't ring true. Then again, there wasn't a whole lot of context to go off in the first place, so maybe that'll change in future eps.

TeRey09

I don't think we will ever get an answer about what caused it. I honestly just think it happened, and from there people are going to be the soul cause of any type of shit that goes down. I mean, the whole premise is showing how bad human nature can get, so I think having outside forces other than the initial set-up would horribly conflict with the theme of the show.

I don't think it's the rapture, they established the wide range of people who went poof, and it's pretty random when it comes to morality and religion. If I were to have a theory, I would just guess it was a dimensional rift that caused people to simply poof out of existence in our dimension.

Yep people being the cause of any new shit popping off makes sense but I feel like there has be to more to all of those people disappearing. I think the show will focus on the people but have some arc plays in the background that sheds light on what happened and introduce new events.

Vire

I mean honestly, some of that was worse than half the story lines in the video games out there. The chain smoking cult scenes were just absolutely cringe inducing and lucriously stupid.

Can't believe HBO funded this.

You aren't going to get answers. Neither will the people on the show. That's the point.

A huge event happened in the world. A lot of people just up and disappeared. There is no reason or answer why it happened. Naturally, it's going to eat a lot of people up and they will react to it in different ways.

The first episode was building up this world, sketching out the players. I thought it did a pretty good job of it.

royalan

I can't tell if serious about that dogs part. The dogs went wild for some reason after their owners went poof, dogs reverted back to primal instincts and pact mentality and go to town on wild animals.

Don't know the importance of it yet, but I'm getting a feeling it's going to be foreshadowing "Putting down wild dogs" when it comes to those white coat folks. I don't think that other hunter was real, I think it's probably part of Kevin's subconscious about facing the reality of those people and what is going to happen sooner or later.

Only half serious.

But I'm not sure how much I buy that the wild dogs are serving as foreshadowing for the fate of the French mimes. For one, I don't believe that a wild dog (former pet) problem would go so easily missed by the public. Also, gunning down a pack of wild dogs is one thing..."gunning down" what basically boils down to a pacifist group is another. That would require quite a stretch.

I think the dogs (the deer and the hunter) have more to do with something we haven't learned about Kevin yet. Maybe he's got multiple personality disorder or sleepwalks or something. Should be quite the mystery.

Memles

What constitutes "moving forward" to you?

I'm not trolling you. I don't necessarily think you're just talking about plot, and thus falling into the mystery trap that this show seems to be having serious problems with despite being based on a book that very pointedly offers no answers in this regard.

But for me the basic premise of the series is society's attempt to keep going at its normal pace, but without everyone actually being on the same page. The whole point of Heroes Day is an attempt to gloss over what happened, to bring everyone together, and it all it does is offer a massive demonstration of how the unity it presupposes is inherently false. And so rather than "moving forward," the show by definition will always be exploring society's attempt to do precisely the opposite, and the tension within.

I've seen Episodes 1-3 and Episode 5, for context. And without spoiling anything, I guess I would say that the show has moved forward without actually pushing the plot or the narrative forward in a way that one could consider game-changing. Both Episode 3 and Episode 5 are very strong—they didn't say why they didn't send 4, by the way, but I know at least one critic checked with Lindelof during an interview, who said it was fine to skip—but I wouldn't say they represent significant "progression" beyond pushing into new spaces of character and theme that are already previewed by the pilot.

For me, that was meaningful progression to connecting me with the material. But I do think that the show is pushing for a different definition of "moving forward" than some might be expecting, which is why I think even those who love the show have acknowledged that it's really not going to be for everyone.

This thread seems to be bearing this out.

Love you East Coasters.

Without you, us Best Coasters would be stuck with watching it tonight, but you have all convinced me to not record. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom