• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

DiscoJer

Volcynika said:
I want mine to ship! It still says April 1st estimated delivery date. :/

Lucky. Mine says:

Delivery Estimate: April 5, 2011 - April 9, 2011

I know I shouldn't have gone for free shipping if I wanted it in a hurry. But why do they deliberately delay shipping video games for several days? (And they don't for DVDs and such if you pick free shipping?).

Ratrat

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to be posted.

I'll eventually pick this up but I still want to know more about it.
eh, I've finished the game myself. Just really curious to see its reception outside of japan. Falcoms been great and it would be nice to see them get more recognition.

Ratrat said:
eh, I've finished the game myself. Just really curious to see its reception outside of japan. Falcoms been great and it would be nice to see them get more recognition.
How long did it take you to finish the game? Is it a pretty good length?

Also, does the gameplay feel dated or is the animation and graphics pretty good on the PSP?

Thanks.

Ratrat

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
How long did it take you to finish the game? Is it a pretty good length?

Also, does the gameplay feel dated or is the animation and graphics pretty good on the PSP?

Thanks.
Nice graphics with choppy frame-rate. As an rpg noob it took me about 40 hours with minimal grinding. The game is pretty easy, every battle can be restarted. Oh, and about 40% of the game is story sequences involving incest and cross dressing. And it has a cliff hanger ending.

Ratrat said:
Oh, and about 40% of the game is story sequences involving incest and cross dressing.

I'm not quite sure I'd sum it up like this. :V There's a bit more to it than that, needless to say.

Joshua can be very pretty tho~

(and this makes him want to jump off a cliff)

First Chapter (what we're getting today) does end on a bit of a cliffhanger, though. FC and Second Chapter were originally going to be one game, but Falcom split it in two to avoid having to trim features and events. SC ended up being mindfuckingly huge, too.

Varion

Gunloc said:
At least you'll probably get to play it this week. Canada Post deliveries have been hella slow lately, so all my recent orders from videogamesplus have been a week+. I probably won't get my copy until next week. :(
fffuuuuuu that's where I ordered my LE too!

Oh well, the version I'll actually be playing will be the PSN one because my main PSP is a Go, so not like it's that big a deal at the end of the day. Still want that shiny, shiny box though.

Speaking of which, come on update.

While I'm super stoked the finally playing these games in English, there is a downside; old UMD tech. I've read others mention that the TitS UMDs aren't as well optimized, in terms of loading, compared to the later UMD productions Falcom made with the Ys series.

I may just have to double dip and get the PSN version for optimal loading.

Aeana

I don't remember the load times being all that bad... but then I haven't played the PSP version since it came out in 2006.

atomsk

Party Pooper
DiscoJer said:
Lucky. Mine says:

I know I shouldn't have gone for free shipping if I wanted it in a hurry. But why do they deliberately delay shipping video games for several days? (And they don't for DVDs and such if you pick free shipping?).

Same here, also still says "not yet shipped"

But I just finished Radiant Historia, and need to play Yakuza 4 and Ar Tonelico 3 before I even think about playing this...

Hobbun

Unlike everyone else it seems, I am actually picking my copy up at a brick and mortar store. Should be in tomorrow, but won't be able to pick it up until Thursday.

Bebpo

Banned
Aeana said:
I don't remember the load times being all that bad... but then I haven't played the PSP version since it came out in 2006.

The load times are hardly noticeable outside of field -> city/dungeon/field transitions that have the little animated loading sprite in the corner.

Hmm, that's good to hear from both of you (Bebpo & Aeana). I'll just wait to try my UMD copy out before I double dip.

Also, I've been spoiled by S-E's recent releases with the data install.

Syraxith

My copy won't come until thursday, but in that time im glad about the hardly noticeable load times (since i play on a psp-1001 model).

The PSN version is now available straight up from the storefront. Go go go, bitches. I'd do it myself but I'm going to tough out the wait for my LE preorder (which should be here by tomorrow at the latest; the only annoyance then would be that I can't pick it up 'till 5PM or so due to work).

Also, with a bit of help from yours truly, the Hardcore Gaming 101 article has been just about scrubbed free of spoilers; the brief descriptions for FC and SC talk a little about what happens at the end of FC, but in the vaguest terms possible. It should be safe to remove HG101 from the "warning list" in the OP now.

Speaking of the LE, for those who ordered through Amazon, has your order even begun the shipping process yet? I can still fully alter my order, usually by this time with s new release, they'd have charged my card and I wouldn't be able to change anything. Hmm...

Syraxith

Reluctant-Hero said:
Speaking of the LE, for those who ordered through Amazon, has your order even begun the shipping process yet? I can still fully alter my order, usually by this time with s new release, they'd have charged my card and I wouldn't be able to change anything. Hmm...
Preordered normal edition through amazon, I have 1-day shipping checked out; still nothing. =/

edit: it's "shipping soon" now for me.

Paracelsus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mih0dfd27tU&feature=player_embedded#at=23

Launch trailer.

Been seriously thinking about passing on PE3 for now and pick this one instead.

Wow, that surprisingly didn't suck.

jackdoe

Just bought it off of PSN. Having a box and art is nice, but with the NGP release looming, I think I'm done with UMDs (if I can help it).

Varion said:
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky/index.html

Well RPGFan put a review up, for the people who're actually interested in reviews.

As is a review from Neoseeker.

https://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Games/Reviews/legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky/

LethaL ImpuLse said:
That's an awesome theme, forgive me if I'm wrong but is it not from the second Sora no Kiseki title?

It was first used in First Chapter; Second Chapter remixes it writ large, complete with vocals in one version, and uses it to blow the roof off your house.

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHVVj0aWJs & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Ow7G9sGWk

Ratrat

Nice scores. :)

'Trails in the Sky is not a game in which the gameplay shines, but rather the story and characters.' lol.

Ratrat said:
Nice scores. :)

'Trails in the Sky is not a game in which the gameplay shines, but rather the story and characters.' lol.

Does it make me retarded that such a quote doesnt perturb me?
I kinda want to wait for a sale but i also want some delicious RPG action. Maybe i should get hexyz force?

Onion_Relish said:
I kinda want to wait for a sale but i also want some delicious RPG action. Maybe i should get hexyz force?

Well, the better this does, the higher chance we have of seeing everything else come over (and if it really does well, the faster other stuff can come over), so keep that in mind. I still feel sort of bad asking people to take the plunge without a demo, but the reviews so far should be telling.

Edgeward

I already got the money for it, gonna have to clear my psp backlog first tho before I get this. It shall be mine as it has Falcom on it.

SpaceDrake said:
Well, the better this does, the higher chance we have of seeing everything else come over (and if it really does well, the faster other stuff can come over), so keep that in mind. I still feel sort of bad asking people to take the plunge without a demo, but the reviews so far should be telling.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to this game, and i do have some time right now in between games so I might pick it up. I understand the sentiment when it comes to bringing more games over. YS 7 is one of my favorite games this entire gen across all platforms so I would love to see more of the YS games. I much prefer the 7 format to Oath, and i definately passed on 1/2, but yeah, i would be willing to bite on ys 6, and im assuming the TiTs games only get better as well.

I should be working on my backlog mind you :(

Onion_Relish said:
Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to this game, and i do have some time right now in between games so I might pick it up. I understand the sentiment when it comes to bringing more games over. YS 7 is one of my favorite games this entire gen across all platforms so I would love to see more of the YS games. I much prefer the 7 format to Oath, and i definately passed on 1/2, but yeah, i would be willing to bite on ys 6, and im assuming the TiTs games only get better as well.

I should be working on my backlog mind you :(
Backlogs can be daunting, and lots of my newer purchases go to the bottom of the list, but I'm moving TitS right to the front of the line and playing it immediately.

This series can really use as much support as RPG fans can muster, and since it's such a story intense series, I'd like to stay as up to date with the narrative as possible.

krYlon

Yes, yes, my copy has shipped.

Wish Videogames Plus gave an exact delivery date, and I wish I was close to completing Tactics Ogre so I'd have some time to play this.

Ratrat

Onion_Relish said:
But I strongly disagree with the quote.

Onion_Relish said:

I didn't care much for Hexyz Force personally. All the battles seem to drag on, and there's quite a lot of them. I didn't get very far before I got bored and quit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Few questions:

1. Is the game long? Like 50 hours long?
2. Are there a lot of battles?

ULTROS! said:
Few questions:

1. Is the game long? Like 50 hours long?
2. Are there a lot of battles?

1. Yes, 40-50 hours seems to be the norm. Much more if you're a completionist.
2. There are no random encounters, so you really control how much battling you do, but the battle system is fun and robust. The main focus of the game is more on the storyline and characters though.

Hobbun

Gunloc said:
Backlogs can be daunting, and lots of my newer purchases go to the bottom of the list, but I'm moving TitS right to the front of the line and playing it immediately.

This is me as well. Saying my backlog is huge is an understatement. I have games I haven't played since the PS1 era. Right now I am playing Harmony of Dissonance for the first time. I've just finally defeated DQ V (haven't even started DQ VI or Radiant Historia yet).

However, like yourself, I plan to put TiTS ahead of the others as I've really been wanting to play this for awhile now. Well, at least I am putting it forward after I defeat HoD.

Hobbun

WTF

Just called my local GS and the store manager said the game isn’t shipping until Friday and that they probably won’t get it until next week.

I know I just indicated I wouldn’t start it until I finished HoD, but I am thinking I should finish it by Friday. Why the hell is their shipment so late?

Hobbun said:
WTF

Just called my local GS and the store manager said the game isn’t shipping until Friday and that they probably won’t get it until next week.

I know I just indicated I wouldn’t start it until I finished HoD, but I am thinking I should finish it by Friday. Why the hell is their shipment so late?
My only guess is that GS has low faith in the game and didn't order faster shipping from the distribution warehouse.

Even Amazon didn't begin shipping until today. I should have my copy on Friday as I reverted my order back to two day shipping.

Hobbun

Reluctant-Hero said:
My only guess is that GS has low faith in the game and didn't order faster shipping from the distribution warehouse.

Even Amazon didn't begin shipping until today. I should have my copy on Friday as I reverted my order back to two day shipping.

You’re probably right, but it just seems like bad mojo (not a good sign).

I hope these sell well enough, I want to see XSeed bring the whole story over, and I mean more than just the immediate trilogy.

Gunloc said:
1. Yes, 40-50 hours seems to be the norm. Much more if you're a completionist.
2. There are no random encounters, so you really control how much battling you do, but the battle system is fun and robust. The main focus of the game is more on the storyline and characters though.
Sounds good.

The download size on PSN is bigger than I expected. Looks like there's tons of content in this.

I saw a article posted on GameFAQs how XSeed spent over 9 months localizing just this first part of the trilogy, which is why they didn't localize and release the entire thing at once.

I really hope that XSeed does bring the rest of it over. Even though they say they would, it's still possible that they won't depending on how well this first one sells. :(

Hobbun

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Sounds good.

The download size on PSN is bigger than I expected. Looks like there's tons of content in this.

I saw a article posted on GameFAQs how XSeed spent over 9 months localizing just this first part of the trilogy, which is why they didn't localize and release the entire thing at once.

I really hope that XSeed does bring the rest of it over. Even though they say they would, it's still possible that they won't depending on how well this first one sells. :(

Yeah, that would totally suck if we didn’t get at least the trilogy, considering it is all one epic story from what I hear.

However, I want my cake and eat, I also want the ones past the trilogy, as they are also related.

Quixzlizx

For those who get the game first, can someone confirm that it works on 6.20 TN-D? I'm still a sucker for physical media/manuals/cases, so I ordered the LE, but a Go is my main playing device.

SpaceDrake said:
As is a review from Neoseeker.

https://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Games/Reviews/legend_of_heroes_trails_in_the_sky/

It was first used in First Chapter; Second Chapter remixes it writ large, complete with vocals in one version, and uses it to blow the roof off your house.

Observe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHVVj0aWJs & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Ow7G9sGWk

A-fucking-men. Every battle theme from JDK Band has pleasurably owned my face; they're about half the reason I got interested in this.

Phenomic

Poor Square Enix. Neogaf is now to blame for their loss of sales on 3rd Birthday and Dissidia because I picked this up instead due to the amount of love from the contributors of this thread and the convincing of a few select members. (Thanks for the input you know who you were =D)

Standard edition is on it's way here and should arrive tomorrow. As per usual I'm trusting GAF on this one, but I'm not worried because the board never seems to let me down. You've brought me Valkyria, Demon Souls, 999 to just mention a few over the course of the last years and I hope I can say the same for the Trails series.

I will still pick up 3rd Birthday if I can manage to get through PE2 and Dissida will be purchased probably with a price break.

P.S. I've already fallen in love with Sliver Will. Thanks for posting that track.

Top Bottom