• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Hobbun

Varion said:
Gamestop are the first in my mind as they're being spectacularly dumb about it ("The publisher said the release date was the 31st!" No, no they didn't Gamestop.) It does seem most other shops are having problems as well though. Which is typical when you're dealing with a game that needs every sale it can get.

When I called my GS the other day, they told me the computer had an April 1st date, which most likely would get there next week as he doesn’t anticipate it getting to the store on a Saturday. I told him the game still had an official release date of the 29th, and I got a “Well, that’s strange.” And then the usual “Wish I could help you, but I will set it off to the side for you when it comes in.” Gee, thanks.

However, he was assuming the April 1st date was the ship date, not the in-store date, which ended up being the case as I got my phone call from ‘Ashley’ last night that it would be ready to be picked up today.

I really hope this sells well enough for XSeed’s numbers to justify localizing at least the rest of the trilogy.

mjc

rainking187 said:
If anyone already has this or is getting it soon I'd be interested to know how the size of the CE compares to the Ys ones.

Just picked up my copy and the box is pretty much the same size as the Oath in Felghana one.

cress2000

SpaceDrake said:
Let me put it this way: Recettear's font, which was built just for Japan at first, had quotation marks (and really full ASCII support) built in from the start.

I have a funny, slightly off-topic question. Do you know the name of the font used in Recettear (and maybe any idea where it could be obtained legally)? I'm very curious because the English characters built into the PS2 Tales of Destiny remake font are identical.

KAL2006

Banned
Has this game got a decent plot, I only like JRPGs with interesting stories and characters. For the past couple of years I can never find a JRPG plot that impresses me on DS and PSP. The last time I enjoyed a JRPG plot was from the PS2 era. Some examples of JRPG stories I have enjoyed are Suikoden series and FF6-10. I have tried out Tales of Eternia and Lunar on PSP and both games failed to impress as I just could not get into the story of those games.

KAL2006 said:
Has this game got a decent plot, I only like JRPGs with interesting stories and characters. For the past couple of years I can never find a JRPG plot that impresses me on DS and PSP. The last time I enjoyed a JRPG plot was from the PS2 era. Some examples of JRPG stories I have enjoyed are Suikoden series and FF6-10. I have tried out Tales of Eternia and Lunar on PSP and both games failed to impress as I just could not get into the story of those games.
The main selling point of this game (and the whole Kiseki/Trails series) is the plot and characters, it's what it's most famous for by far. And considering you like the Suikoden series, the political themes in the game should interest you.

Gunloc said:
The main selling point of this game (and the whole Kiseki/Trails series) is the plot and characters, it's what it's most famous for by far. And considering you like the Suikoden series, the political themes in the game should interest you.

I've only finish the prologue, but Trails seems like a very lighthearted or upbeat kind of game, give me the same vibe as Lunar and Tales. on the other hand, Suikoden and FF always give me a more serious/depressing tone. maybe it'll change later on in Trails but I'm really not expecting death, massacre and betrayal like in Suikoden series.

Aeana

Callibretto said:
I've only finish the prologue, but Trails seems like a very lighthearted or upbeat kind of game, give me the same vibe as Lunar and Tales. on the other hand, Suikoden and FF always give me a more serious/depressing tone. maybe it'll change later on in Trails but I'm really not expecting death, massacre and betrayal like in Suikoden series.
I think you might be surprised. Especially if/when you move on to later games in the series.

Varion

Callibretto said:
Oh you'll be surprised. FC is the most lighthearted of the bunch, although it does have some seriousness in it, but the further you get into the series the darker the story starts getting. Everything past FC ticks all those boxes and then some, although it does a great job of keeping the comedy and suchlike going as well. There's a good balance.

Callibretto said:
Keep playing. As Aeana and Varion said, at first they're really just setting the stage by letting you get acquainted with the characters and setting. The darker and more serious elements of the plot start to slowly seep in at first, but they'll kick into high gear soon enough.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I just love how town conversations not only give insight into the world, but very often hint at upcoming quests and events.

Going to do my best to get friends to buy this game, I will be really pissed if the sequels don't make it out due to low sales. I'm even tempted to double dip and buy the PSN version too, but I'm back to being a college student...

KAL2006

Banned
So the plot in this game is supposed to be good, I may have to get this game, hopefully it doesn't disappointed like all the other PSP JRPGs disappointed me (Tales of Eternia and Lunar which both had a boring plot). I don't mind if the game starts lighthearted and upbeat, that's how most JRPGs start, this is so you get to know the characters before shit gets real. For example Suikoden 5 was lighthearted and upbeat for the first few hours.

Ledsen

KAL2006 said:

If you find FF9-10 to have "interesting plots" I don't know if you can actually claim to be picky, since they aren't any better or worse than 90% of what's out there.

Hobbun

I picked it up last night and played it for a couple of hours. Just finished
the bracer test and now a trainee

I enjoy it so far, and as I've heard, the characterization is very good. Can't say much about the story as I really haven't got that far into it.

However, and this has nothing to do with the game, but I am seeing a lightening of the screen on the edges. Almost like it has a frame. I only see it during the darker screens, I actually noticed when hitting the 'Select' button and bringing up the dark blue background used with the map.

So now I have to send in my PSP for repairs. :( I could 'live' with the issue, but the unit is practically brand new, bought it in December, and really don't feel I should have any kind of a defective screen.

Fuck.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Got my premium edition in yesterday. It's very nice, as usual. Put in about 2 hours last night, and so far I'm more than pleased. I love the controls, how fast you run, and how easy it is to highlight things to read/folks to talk to. I'm loving the plot so far as well, it's a very nicely fleshed out version of "two kids from a small town become heroes", so far anyway. The game is also pretty funny.

KAL2006

Banned
Ledsen said:
If you find FF9-10 to have "interesting plots" I don't know if you can actually claim to be picky, since they aren't any better or worse than 90% of what's out there.

Yes the story in FF9 and FF10 isn't groundbreaking but at least it kept me interested and I was fascinated with the characters and world. My standards for story is not that high but there are far too many JRPGs with stories that don't interest me at all, Tales of Eternia and Lunar PSP are 2 recent examples where I hated the story.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Really hoping my limited edition comes in the mail today... I preordered from Amazon about a month ago, along with the Anjunadeep 3 cd (compilation of tracks off one of my favorite labels). Hope I get it soon!

Yuterald

Got it yesterday and played 3 hours so far. Just stopping in to say that I am loving it so far, definitely living up to the hype. Will post more impressions the further I get.

Volcynika

The outer box for the LE was hardly damaged but looked like I got an unlucky batch.

zY8go.jpg

D:

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Unless you were planning on keeping it sealed, just get a new jewel case.

I hate jewel cases.

Yuterald said:
Got it yesterday and played 3 hours so far. Just stopping in to say that I am loving it so far, definitely living up to the hype. Will post more impressions the further I get.

Great to hear,
Let any RPG loving friends know of it's existence :)

semiconscious

Gold Member
KAL2006 said:
Yes the story in FF9 and FF10 isn't groundbreaking but at least it kept me interested and I was fascinated with the characters and world. My standards for story is not that high but there are far too many JRPGs with stories that don't interest me at all, Tales of Eternia and Lunar PSP are 2 recent examples where I hated the story.

if you've got a ds, & haven't played radiant historia, you need to :) ...

Phenomic

Drinky Crow said:
wow, this is a really solid rpg in the grandia vein. i hope xseed is planning on bringing sc over as well!

How far into it are you? I've finished the Prologue and it's still seeming to kind of draging on somewhat. I'm wondering how much longer I need to go before I really feel like the game opens up.

Aeana

I'm really surprised at the reactions so far. I expected a majority of people to be pretty negative on it. I love the Trails series to death, but I think it appeals to a very specific kind of gamer, so seeing the positive impressions is unexpected. I hope you guys continue to enjoy it all the way through.

I'm personally having a really great time revisiting the game. I don't agree with a lot of the translation decisions, but it hasn't stopped me from being sucked in once again.

Ledsen

Hobbun said:
I picked it up last night and played it for a couple of hours. Just finished
the bracer test and now a trainee

I enjoy it so far, and as I've heard, the characterization is very good. Can't say much about the story as I really haven't got that far into it.

However, and this has nothing to do with the game, but I am seeing a lightening of the screen on the edges. Almost like it has a frame. I only see it during the darker screens, I actually noticed when hitting the 'Select' button and bringing up the dark blue background used with the map.

So now I have to send in my PSP for repairs. :( I could 'live' with the issue, but the unit is practically brand new, bought it in December, and really don't feel I should have any kind of a defective screen.

Fuck.

Like I said in the other thread (don't remember which one) that sounds like normal backlight bleeding. It's usually not considered a defect unless it's very severe.

Phenomic

Quick question.

Not much of a spoiler but whatever..

Running around all of Bose looking for that News Reporter and for the life of me I cannot find him
Anyone know where they went?

Phenomic said:
Quick question.

Not much of a spoiler but whatever..

Running around all of Bose looking for that News Reporter and for the life of me I cannot find him
Anyone know where they went?

Think about the kind of man he is. Where you'd be likely to find him. Where he'd spend all his time when not on the job.

If it's the point I think you're at, look in the bar - not the fancy restaurant, but the dive on the other side of the square, with the multiple floors. Nial is drunkenly passed out at a corner table on the second floor.

Phenomic

SpaceDrake said:
Think about the kind of man he is. Where you'd be likely to find him. Where he'd spend all his time when not on the job.

If it's the point I think you're at, look in the bar - not the fancy restaurant, but the dive on the other side of the square, with the multiple floors. Nial is drunkenly passed out at a corner table on the second floor.

Thanks..

Honestly I went in there like 5 times and missed him every single time.

Phenomic

Sorry for the double post but I have another question.

In RPG's I generally don't like to buy items and I tend to want to find them out in the field. However, this whole time I haven't found a single piece of armor and only one weapon pretty much throughout the entire game.

Is this one of those RPG's where you primary need to be buying your upgrades or will I start finding more and more chests with gear upgrades now that I'm in chapter 1. The main reason I'm curious is because Money in this game seems kind of tight since you don't earn it from straight battles and you have to get it from selling gems or sidequests.

Phenomic said:
Sorry for the double post but I have another question.

In RPG's I generally don't like to buy items and I tend to want to find them out in the field. However, this whole time I haven't found a single piece of armor and only one weapon pretty much throughout the entire game.

Is this one of those RPG's where you primary need to be buying your upgrades or will I start finding more and more chests with gear upgrades now that I'm in chapter 1. The main reason I'm curious is because Money in this game seems kind of tight since you don't earn it from straight battles and you have to get it from selling gems or sidequests.
You will find equipment in chests as you've experienced, but a large proportion of the equipment (especially during the early-mid stages of the game) is found in stores.

Drinky Crow said:
wow, this is a really solid rpg in the grandia vein. i hope xseed is planning on bringing sc over as well!

I figured I was stretching things with my love of Grandia, but I am definitely feeling the similarities. Throw out the FFX battle order, add in real time movement and the Grandia Reel and I'd be a happy, happy man.

Hobbun said:

Is your PSP a 3000? Mine has the same issue and I've been considering getting it fixed too. I thought I could live with it, but my friend just got a 3000 recently and his doesn't have that issue at all. (Though it does have a dead pixel and a slight discoloration spot.)

Are you sending yours to Sony?

Teetris said:
Anyone got their VGP order?
Nope. :/

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gunloc said:
Is your PSP a 3000? Mine has the same issue and I've been considering getting it fixed too. I thought I could live with it, but my friend just got a 3000 recently and his doesn't have that issue at all. (Though it does have a dead pixel and a slight discoloration spot.)

Are you sending yours to Sony?

Nope. :/
Ah, thanks for the answer, haven't ordered there in a while now and forgot what the normal delivery time was.

Anyway, if your defect is with the screen only just buy a replacement screen. It's super easy to replace, I did my 1000 but I imagine little has changed in the revisions. You'll be off cheaper too

Teetris said:
Ah, thanks for the answer, haven't ordered there in a while now and forgot what the normal delivery time was.

Anyway, if your defect is with the screen only just buy a replacement screen. It's super easy to replace, I did my 1000 but I imagine little has changed in the revisions. You'll be off cheaper too
Yeah, deliveries from VGP have been quite slow lately, but I think it's more of a Canada Post issue than VGP.

As for my screen, I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do yet. I know it's a somewhat common issue with 3000s, but it's really distracting to me, especially after seeing one without that problem.

I'd probably opt for a professional to fix it though, I would be too apprehensive to attempt it myself.

Top Bottom