• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The No Holds Barred Castle Crashers Official Thread of Broken Netcode and Crash Bugs

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ToyMachine228 said:
In comparison to something like Lumines, Rez, Geometry Wars, or PixelJunk or something like that which were only $10, I'm much more happy with those purchases. And I have been playing Castle Crashers since I finished.

Considering 99% of my Xbox Live purhases have been old arcade games, Ive been extremely happy with my most recent purchases (Braid, Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid).

I think I may buy N+ next.

Ramenman

I finished it and I loved it. And I only played single player for the moment.

I didn't have any bugs, maybe because I didn't play online. Well there's this one time where I left the game after beating the
pop corn
boss, and got the item it gives you, but when launching the game 24hours later I didn't have the item anymore, and thus couldn't open the door to the next level (which was not locked, I could go in it, but without said item you can't do much).

Also, I can't manage to do a "magic jump". You know, it's supposed to be RT + A, but it only does a simple jump every time I try it. Meh.

Teknoman

Hey everyone:

Dev Blog update -

The title update is going well- we spent the weekend testing and testing and testing to see if the fixes work and it is looking pretty good. With any luck tomorrow we will be doing a big multiplayer test with everyone in Redmond. If everything goes well we’ll be moving from the “fixing it” stage to the “verifying” stage. After everything is fixed and verified by everyone and their mother, we’ll roll into the certification stage. If we pass that then we wait for the TU (title update) to be released. With all these moving parts, we are unable to tell you all with precision when the TU will be out, but we are working on it every day.

Well its getting closer. Soon we'll be pulling off both Castle Crashers and Duke Nukem 3d co-op GAF games.

Teknoman said:
Hey everyone:

Dev Blog update -

The title update is going well- we spent the weekend testing and testing and testing to see if the fixes work and it is looking pretty good. With any luck tomorrow we will be doing a big multiplayer test with everyone in Redmond. If everything goes well we’ll be moving from the “fixing it” stage to the “verifying” stage. After everything is fixed and verified by everyone and their mother, we’ll roll into the certification stage. If we pass that then we wait for the TU (title update) to be released. With all these moving parts, we are unable to tell you all with precision when the TU will be out, but we are working on it every day.

Well its getting closer. Soon we'll be pulling off both Castle Crashers and Duke Nukem 3d co-op GAF games.

Excellent!

Now if only my 360 would get back from repairs...

Teknoman said:
Hey everyone:

Dev Blog update -

Too many damn "stages". I wish they were this strict when the 360 launched and when 75% of XBLA titles go online.

But good news anyway.

Just finished the game in co-op with 2 friends, and we all had an absolute blast. Awesome sense of humour throughout the game and great fun all round.

Definitely worth the $15 ($20 here) :D

Hopefully people will still be playing it (or wanting to play it) when this patch finally comes out.

If it doesn't make it by mid october I fear this ship has sailed, because the onslaught of 4th quarter gaming will have begun.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'll hop back on when the update is out to play online and grab the last two (stupid) achievements.

We've already done four full four player games locally, just one more to go to have beaten it with all five knights.

I own Castle Crashers. So do two of my friends. We want to play together on a single Xbox 360. We have one memory card and all three HDDs, how do we do this so that we use our profiles and use our individual saved progress? The game doesn't appear to have a separate savefile, so that's a problem if we want to play together, right? Is this possible, or are you stuck using one guy's game progress?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
a Master Ninja said:
I own Castle Crashers. So do two of my friends. We want to play together on a single Xbox 360. We have one memory card and all three HDDs, how do we do this so that we use our profiles and use our individual saved progress? The game doesn't appear to have a separate savefile, so that's a problem if we want to play together, right? Is this possible, or are you stuck using one guy's game progress?
It's no problem at all, just have them sign in to their profiles and they'll have all their save data since it's part of their GamerTag, not stored locally.

Ledsen

Wait, so you can use more than one gamertag on the same xbox? can you do this in other games with local co-op too? what about bc: rearmed? can each of the players get separate achievements while playing like this?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ledsen said:
Wait, so you can use more than one gamertag on the same xbox? can you do this in other games with local co-op too? what about bc: rearmed? can each of the players get separate achievements while playing like this?
Yes, yes and yes. A lot of games even REQUIRE other plays to sign into a profile to play.

Ledsen

Princess Skittles said:
Yes, yes and yes. A lot of games even REQUIRE other plays to sign into a profile to play.

wth, I never knew this, that's awesome! one of the main reasons I only play co-op on XBL is that I didn't think you could sign in more than one person on the same machine at the same time. Are you sure it works in BC:RA though? me and my friend played it locally and the option to sign in for player 2 didn't even come up.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ledsen said:
wth, I never knew this, that's awesome! one of the main reasons I only play co-op on XBL is that I didn't think you could sign in more than one person on the same machine at the same time. Are you sure it works in BC:RA though? me and my friend played it locally and the option to sign in for player 2 didn't even come up.
That's because Bionic Commando doesn't actually require it (it'll consider the second player as "guest").

Anyway, when the second controller is connected, hit the guide button to sign in. Simple!

Ledsen

Princess Skittles said:
That's because Bionic Commando doesn't actually require it (it'll consider the second player as "guest").

Anyway, when the second controller is connected, hit the guide button to sign in. Simple!

Thanks a lot, so awesome!

Princess Skittles said:
It's no problem at all, just have them sign in to their profiles and they'll have all their save data since it's part of their GamerTag, not stored locally.
Just so I'm clear, if we just get all the profiles on one box we'll not only be able to get achievements, but I'll have my level 25 blue knight, my friend can use his level 50 orange knight with his crazy sword, and my other friend will have his level 30 green knight with his monkey. This info is not stored on the 140MB game file, but server side somehow?

robot

Just finished my 1st playthrough with the Red Knight. Next up is the Skeleton to unlock the Bear. Sucks that I have to log in and out at the title screen to get my save to load up though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sooo, apparently at Gamefaqs the new hotness is that someone was somehow able to acquire the King's scepter.

They are currently trading it amongst themselves.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=934458&topic=45509346

Photo and video evidence linked in the thread.

IIRC, this was supposed to be DLC content. Kinda suspicious since no one really knows how to get it by means of the game itself.

There's a possibility this is fake, but that would mean a fairly concerted effort by a whole lot of posters to make stuff up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rentahamster said:
Sooo, apparently at Gamefaqs the new hotness is that someone was somehow able to acquire the King's scepter.

They are currently trading it amongst themselves.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=934458&topic=45509346

Photo and video evidence linked in the thread.

IIRC, this was supposed to be DLC content. Kinda suspicious since no one really knows how to get it by means of the game itself.

There's a possibility this is fake, but that would mean a fairly concerted effort by a whole lot of posters to make stuff up.

If you get to the Flowery Fields on Insane and the King manages to die he'll drop it...I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but that's how people manage to get it without trading.

Papercuts said:
If you get to the Flowery Fields on Insane and the King manages to die he'll drop it...I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but that's how people manage to get it without trading.

Hm, thanks for the tip. When my 360 is back from repairs, I'll definitely give this a try.

FightyF

Banned
Wizpig said:
Still no fix for the netcode?!
:lol :lol :lol

No way :)

Judging from games like Bomberman and Dig Dug, it takes a while for such patches to come out. For me though, until a patch is out I won't buy it. I'm sure I'd have fun if I did pick up today, but I've got so many other games on my plate that I can wait.

This game is so much fun. Such a shame about online; I've tried joining about 30 games and got nothing. I guess the thread title wasn't joking...

Teknoman

Well we all know they were supposed be in an extensive patch testing session. It'll be here soon. Until then, just enjoy playing offline.

CPS2

I haven't read anything about this game, but my mate just found an infinite throw loop. Basically he was fighting the boss who plays the organ, and he held block and tapped throw, and rather than throwing the guy away, he kept looping the throw and drained his entire health bar in a few seconds. He's done it twice now, and I'm thinking of putting a video up. Has this already been discovered?

poweld

UC1 said:
I haven't read anything about this game, but my mate just found an infinite throw loop. Basically he was fighting the boss who plays the organ, and he held block and tapped throw, and rather than throwing the guy away, he kept looping the throw and drained his entire health bar in a few seconds. He's done it twice now, and I'm thinking of putting a video up. Has this already been discovered?

Sounds new to me...

meddow

UC1 said:

yep have done it a few times, on the same boss.

makes it a lot easier getting through on insane tho:p

jibblypop

Banned
This game is crack! I'm so addicted! Downloadable games are saving the entire industry for me. I didn't like where games were going in the last 5 or 6 years but games like Castle Crashers bring back that joy that I used to get!

The crashing is INSANE though. I've only been able to play offline.. I've tried many, many times and have been unable to start a single online game! that is crazy! this fix can't come soon enough!

X26

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Yup ridiculous that it's not up yet..kinda lost interest now :\

Same, and I feel like I wasted my money. I beat it, then decided to play again once it's fixed and can play 4 player. Now so much time has passed and there's other stuff out/coming out that the interest really is ogne

Needless to say, I'll never even consider buying anything else these guys come out with at release

Insaniac

well i've played through normal thoroughly with my level 60 and got all the animals. trying to go through insane, but kind of hard without a buddy

MMaRsu

Banned
X26 said:
Same, and I feel like I wasted my money. I beat it, then decided to play again once it's fixed and can play 4 player. Now so much time has passed and there's other stuff out/coming out that the interest really is ogne

Needless to say, I'll never even consider buying anything else these guys come out with at release

I've had fun in offline coop with some friends, but I lost all my weapons and animal orbs which really sucked. After that I haven't played and decided I'd play 4 player coop when the patch was up.

Nothing yet.

Sucks ass. Not buying anything these guys put out at release either..

poweld

X26 said:

As much as I want to call this an overreaction, it's exactly the way I feel. This is something that should have been a glaring problem, and has taken too long to fix. I'm considering a refund. Yes, the game was fun, but was it what I wanted (and was promised)? No, no not in the least.

Victrix

*beard*
irony.JPG

Lies

Yeah, I'm surprised at the lack of support so far. I know they're working on it, but how long are people going to wait? Most players aren't going to come back to the game when they patch it. It's taking this long to patch, I can't imagine how long they're going to make us wait for substantial DLC.

Its been over a month and the game is still broken. Utter joke.

Every time I start the game I have to go through the motions of setting up an MP game to get my stats/items back, its a pain in the arse that shouldn't exist. Bollocks to the rhetoric that "it takes time to get updates through MS". Stop passing the buck, it may not be the quickest thing in the world to get certification from MS but other games have had issues (hello Bully) and were patched a hell of a lot quicker than this.

Grrrrr....... :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Doubt I will buy another game from The Behemoth, either.

What was even worse was that it took them a week to even say anything about the state of the game, and even then it was just a 'sorry, guys, but we were just having way too much fun at PAX!'

Well guess what, fuckers, you ain't getting my money next time.

Kibs

Considering how well it sold, they don't seem to be in a rush to fix their broken-ass game ...
Takes the piss though :(

yea its taking way to long. by the time it comes all the big fall games will be out or coming out and then no one will care about this online. or at least i won't even with the dlc because of being burned so bad when buying this game day one. if i touch the stove i make sure not to touch it again....

I think they should unlock the characters or some of the later ones as a gift when the patch is out. I've spent a ton of time getting them (even beating the game twice with characters because I couldn't remember what level I played). I think (other than the obvious netcode stuff) the one main problem with the game is how long it takes to unlock characters. You tell someone hey, this great brawler has a bear a ninja and beekeeper and they're like "awesome!" but then you have to tell them oh, but you need to buy your own version and grind for dozens of hours to unlock them and that kinda lessens the awesome factor.

MoogPaul

Yeah totally agree. Didn't like their first game, LOVED this game. Got me to recognize a nice little development house and proceeded to remind me why I should never buy from them again.

Teknoman

Patches take time.

title update info/video/artworks
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 02:37:33 +0000

Hi everyone!

The title update is going wonderfully. Soon wonder will be achieved!!!! You can quote me on that! SOON, WONDER WILL BE ACHIEVED. Okay so I’m not really sure exactly what the current status is but I hear the programmers, the testers, and Emil are very happy with the results. This makes me pleased.

You saw how long the Ninja Gaiden II patch took, and no one says they'll never buy another Tecmo or NG game again.

Top Bottom