• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The No Holds Barred Castle Crashers Official Thread of Broken Netcode and Crash Bugs

poweld

catfish said:
got a successful game last night, custom seems to be the one that works. Great stuff! 2 player is busy enough for me. Had some good battles, game is quite hard. Barbarian boss is quite the easy cash grab as well.

my orange knight with about middle stats, level 21 and the big club of wood is starting to enjoy himself a lot!

Can anyone confirm that custom games work?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Glix said:
Well, how about we cut them some slack, considering they made an awesome free theme available, and gave you gamerpics with your purchase, which few companies ever do.
Cut them some slack for releasing a product with bugs that 1. kill one of the most highly touted aspects of the game (online multi) for a lot of people and 2. delete save files after hours and hours of playtime because they released some freaking JPEGs you can put by your gamertag to basically ADVERTISE FOR THEM?

Haven't even tried online yet myself, for fear of what would happen, but would welcome free DLC with open arms. : )

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
So I just beat the game for the first time last night.

I played with the orange knight, focusing mostly on strength and defense, magic to a lesser degree, and very little in agility. It seemed like a pretty good balance, but I found myself having to grind a little bit to get past a couple of the later levels. I think that might have been because I had no points in agility for a while.

It was an enjoyable experience, but it definitely had its issues. Boss battles were largely awesome. The art was great, and the quirky humor was definitely appreciated. However, ranged attacks annoyed the shit out of me. They made some of the areas a real chore to get through, especially the thieves arena. And, of course, the netcode bugs made multiplayer more or less unplayable for me.

Once they patch it, maybe I'll go back and play it multiplayer with another character, but I'm done for the moment.

Rentahamster said:
I had this happen to me too.

You have to start a new Live multiplayer game.

Create a game and leave the default options.

Make your character ready, then go all the way back to the menu. try and check your player stats again - they should be where they are supposed to be.

If this doesn't work, then I guess you're screwed.

Thanks for the tip man. When I get my 360 back I'll try that trick. I don't have a gold membership so I can't set up the game and try the trick right now. Microsoft is going to give me a month of Gold for the trouble with the 360 so if the glitch continues on my 360 I'll try the trick you mentioned. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've never had any problems, either, with a 2-person custom game. But 3-4 player games have not worked at all for me.

poweld said:
Can anyone confirm that custom games work?

I assume you're talking about finding and joining a custom game in the xbox live menu and not hosting one and inviting friends.

Hosting and inviting works probably 75% of the time for me. Trying to join a random quick or custom game works maybe 5% of the time.

AlStrong

A bit late and haven't been following the thread... (sorry)

What is considered to be a level? I'm wondering how long the game is as I am currently at the part where
I'm trying to save the maiden from that big black knight who became upset after I killed the smaller one who plays the organ shooting rockets at the ground

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
AlStrong said:
A bit late and haven't been following the thread... (sorry)

What is considered to be a level? I'm wondering how long the game is as I am currently at the part where
I'm trying to save the maiden from that big black knight who became upset after I killed the smaller one who plays the organ shooting rockets at the ground

Generally, each set of stages that leads to a boss and has a single theme is a "level" - such as barbarian war then barbarian boss stage at the start of the game.

Where you are at right now, is I think about the 50% point of the game. You still have to cross the ocean with the ship, which opens up the back half of the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ugh, what the hell. I bought the game on Saturday and have been having a fun time, I just beat it co-op with one other person(who already beat the game a few times, but he started with a new character). Since he beat the game a few times and had all the animals we spent a lot of time getting a bunch of them, I had a nice supply of weapons, etc. Then right before the last fucking level the glitch showed up. A clean slate of the Green Knight with 0 points to distribute, even though nobody was playing him. Hitting A to pass it didn't work either.

We disconnected and redid it, everything was intact. Good. Then we went and beat the final level and went to start another game as different characters, and THEN the effect of the glitch just hit me when we rushed towards the giraffe animal, none of them responded to me. Everything is lost, and even if I've only had the game a few days, I still had a lot. Even worse is since I haven't had the game long, I still have a lot to unlock...but I don't feel like playing the game anymore, that completly killed it for me.

I'd cut them slack with online disconnects I guess, but this is completly unacceptable.

Wizpig

Papercuts said:
I'd cut them slack with online disconnects I guess
No.

That's what killed the game for me, i played it two-three times and dropped it completely, currently waiting for a patch.
The glitch you are talking about is horrible and i feel bad for you, but the random disconnects and the whole netcode is THE worst thing of this game.
I mean, i can play complex games like Halo 3, Too Human and others in CoOp even without an open NAT, but i can't do the same with a 2d game?
Come on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I haven't had any actual problems with connections being dropped, though I was 2 player for most of the time I've played. Still, I guess it is mind boggling either way. How can a 2D game have so many issues for you, how the hell did something like weapons and animals erasing even get past them and make it into the full game for me.

Teknoman

Wizpig said:
No.

That's what killed the game for me, i played it two-three times and dropped it completely, currently waiting for a patch.
The glitch you are talking about is horrible and i feel bad for you, but the random disconnects and the whole netcode is THE worst thing of this game.
I mean, i can play complex games like Halo 3, Too Human and others in CoOp even without an open NAT, but i can't do the same with a 2d game?
Come on.

I feel you there. I dropped NG II until the recent patch. CC's a great game, but kinda dangerous to enjoy without a patch. At the time anyway.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Never had a problem, zero lag and all...

for the XBOAT it was plain sailing, but the ice boss hit us like an iceberg.
XBOAT DOWN XBOAT DOWN ABANDON CONNECTION.
. . . - - - . . .

:(

Such a pity as the game is so so good when it's not disconnecting us. Toot Toot.

2842390567_3e275367e0.jpg

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
TekunoRobby said:
Regarding my deleted save; I scoured the thread for suggestions and tried it all but nothing worked. Level 1 for me! :(

This is such bullshit. I guess I hadn't read up on this game as much as I should have. I only though there was some problem with connecting online, not GAME SAVES. I'm sorry, but that's pretty damn inexcusable, and I feel cheated.

rezuth

Papercuts said:
I haven't had any actual problems with connections being dropped, though I was 2 player for most of the time I've played. Still, I guess it is mind boggling either way. How can a 2D game have so many issues for you, how the hell did something like weapons and animals erasing even get past them and make it into the full game for me.
When two people create a game as advanced its bound to have issues.

ShinAmano

Are there any brave souls out there that care to take on an Insane run with me? I have a maxed out skeleton and made it to the industrial castle, but need help to push through.

Ive never actually played a game online. I'd love to but I'm terribly afraid of losing my stuff. I'm not the type to come back to a game after something like that happens, and I'd hate to give up on such a good game.

37 Orange Knight, and I've got all the animals that I can get without buying the ones from the stores. Guess I'll save up my coins and do that.

soldat7

I think some of the achievements are a lost opportunity. The online ranked arena and eating are stupid (win 40 times...really?).

I'd rather see something like level up each of the four knights to level 25 or something or find each weapon in the game. Things that will keep you going through the campaign with different setups, etc.

rhino4evr

soldat7 said:
I think some of the achievements are a lost opportunity. The online ranked arena and eating are stupid (win 40 times...really?).

I'd rather see something like level up each of the four knights to level 25 or something or find each weapon in the game. Things that will keep you going through the campaign with different setups, etc.

I agree..I think a lot of the achievements are totally stupid. The one where you have to play the first three stages without attacking is boring and super easy. If they were going to do that, they should have picked a harder stage.

I think there should have been an achievement for collecting all the weapons, digging up all treasure (not just 10 which can be done on the same stage you get the shovel) and for unlocking all the playable characters or at least the arena stages.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The achievements in this game are completely uninspired, ranging from your typical post-game examples (recruit all animals, beat game under x conditions) to the utterly boring and mundane (100% catapult launch, beat the boss of whatever evil guy unlockable character you're playing as).

Reached Level 40 on my Orange Knight last night, and got all the animals. Guess I'm going to try to complete the last two Arenas at some point today.

I made a Castle Crashers iPhone ring-tone from the shop music thanks to the Newgrounds audio-vault. I'm not near my iPhone to test it, but if anyone wants it, you can download it here:

Castle_Crashers_Shop.zip

(Not sure if this should go in the iPhone thread or the Castle Crashers thread so I'll post it in both until told otherwise.)

nakedsushi said:
I made a Castle Crashers iPhone ring-tone from the shop music thanks to the Newgrounds audio-vault. I'm not near my iPhone to test it, but if anyone wants it, you can download it here:

Castle_Crashers_Shop.zip

(Not sure if this should go in the iPhone thread or the Castle Crashers thread so I'll post it in both until told otherwise.)

What program did you use to rip the audio? I want to make myself a ringer of the main theme tune.

Played with a friend online tonight for the first time and nabbed two achievements. Pretty fun. After playing it quite a bit, playing with a friend and just chatting at least made it a little less repetitive. Some moments of hilarity also ensued.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I played a game with Jetjevons. He was ahead of me and I levelled up twice.

I get kicked off the game - bad connection - and ALL my animals and items are GONE.

WTF.

Broken shitty bug. I hope they fucking fix it.

Edit:

Wow. Now I can enter some levels I couldn't before and I have NO ITEMS. NO WEAPONS. NO ANIMALS.

Wow. Excellent work Behemoth. Really impressive stuff.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
DCharlie said:
for the XBOAT it was plain sailing, but the ice boss hit us like an iceberg.
XBOAT DOWN XBOAT DOWN ABANDON CONNECTION.
. . . - - - . . .

:(

Such a pity as the game is so so good when it's not disconnecting us. Toot Toot.

2842390567_3e275367e0.jpg

:lol

Yeah, such a shame really, although I still haven't been hit with the bug yet, but I only to custom matches with friends so that could be it also...

Beaten the game quite a bit of times now, unlocked quite a bit of characters, beaten all of the arenas, and gotten most of the animals and a good amount of weapons without guides - think I'm gonna beat the game one more time and then after I'll finally use the guide to find the remaining animals/weapons...

Really such an excellent game, and worth the wait, but it really is a shame about the bugs...

I'm actually not too satisfied with my purchase. Not just because of the online problems either. I just feel like I'm done with the game, and have no reason to continue playing.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Is there a connection between the char/item loss and online play? I don't have Gold so I will only play offline. Should I wait until the patch arrives or is offline only/no hdd swapping safe?

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm actually not too satisfied with my purchase. Not just because of the online problems either. I just feel like I'm done with the game, and have no reason to continue playing.
That's how I feel about 95% of all games.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
kamorra said:
Is there a connection between the char/item loss and online play? I don't have Gold so I will only play offline. Should I wait until the patch arrives or is offline only/no hdd swapping safe?

Yes. The connection to the bug is online play. Stay offline until the patch arrives is my advice.

ToyMachine228 said:

It was $15. If you put 3 hours into it, you got your monies worth. Any more hours than that, and it was a bargain.

Oracle Dragon said:
It was $15. If you put 3 hours into it, you got your monies worth. Any more hours than that, and it was a bargain.

In comparison to something like Lumines, Rez, Geometry Wars, or PixelJunk or something like that which were only $10, I'm much more happy with those purchases. And I have been playing Castle Crashers since I finished.

Top Bottom