• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

I'm of two minds with this game. On one side Ready at Dawn has not made a bad game before and the developers seem so hard working and sincere I want to root for them and support them but at the same time the game seems like another linear corridor shooter with an emphasis on QTE's something that i've been opposing for some time now. It's frustrating but hopefully the game will turn out for the best. If nothing else it's the first game i've seen that truly has next generation graphics and blows away anything else I've seen including Uncharted 4 and Driveclub.

From the impressions that have been shared here, that is not the case.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm sure they have some sort of deal in the works. I remember Sony acquired Quantic Dream after Heavy Rain was hugely successful.

Sony never acquired QD.

I don't really see how Sony ownership benefits either party. Right now RAD is working on their baby, a baby owned by SCE. So Ready at Dawn doesn't have much to gain by "getting married" (to borrow a Media Molecule expression) to Sony. And Sony doesn't need to spend the money to acquire a developer who they're going to work closely with anyway. My guess is RaD will stay independent but continue to work mostly with Sony, much like Quantic Dream.

I'm sure they have some sort of deal in the works. I remember Sony acquired Quantic Dream after Heavy Rain was hugely successful.

Sony didin't acquire Quantic Dream yet but the company still has intimate contacts with them and it is dumb to not acquire them eventhough David Cage saluted the behaviour of Sony by providing tech and hardware to them and not intervening in their work and not forcing them to work on a tight schedule or trim their ideas. Sony did though acquire Media Molecule, Guerilla Games and Sucker Punch.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sony might now own QD right now, but I'm almost sure they do want to be acquired, I'm almost sure that they wouldn't get the same budget and marketing if they went elsewhere.

EDIT: And who knows, if The Order is successful, I can see Sony getting RAD. Or if it goes badly, I can see RAD dying like Battle Royale's devs. Hope it's the former.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Oh yeah, I remember that too. Probably after their PS4 game, they might do it. Who knows, Sony is sometimes cagey with their stuff. Quantic Dream does a very specific or special kind of games that satisfies a market that no other platform holder or big publisher tries to tap, Sony might want to secure them. Quantic Dream might also want to secure financing, specially since their games are totally niche. Even for GAF.

Mifune

Mehmber
Sony might now own QD right now, but I'm almost sure they do want to be acquired, I'm almost sure that they wouldn't get the same budget and marketing if they went elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen quotes from QD people, or Cage himself, saying they'd love to be acquired. My feeling is that Sony isn't all that interested in acquiring anyone at the moment. Their last big acquisition was Sucker Punch, in what, 2011? It's telling that they didn't acquire thatgamecompany or any of the myriad small devs they've worked closely with of late. So I don't see them making any big purchases anytime soon.

SSReborn

EDIT: And who knows, if The Order is successful, I can see Sony getting RAD. Or if it goes badly, I can see RAD dying like Battle Royale's devs. Hope it's the former.
Too talented for them to go the way of Superbot at worst they'd go back to making games for other people's IP's

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen quotes from QD people, or Cage himself, saying they'd love to be acquired. My feeling is that Sony isn't all that interested in acquiring anyone at the moment. Their last big acquisition was Sucker Punch, in what, 2011? It's telling that they didn't acquire thatgamecompany or any of the myriad small devs they've worked closely with of late. So I don't see them making any big purchases anytime soon.

Naturally. But then again, we don't know if thatgamecompany or the other devs wanted to be acquired. We could also factor in their finances, they might have wanted to use them on other things rather than get studios.

I see there what you did.

;)

Too talented for them to go the way of Superbot at worst they'd go back to making games for other people's IP's

Yeah, I don't think it'll happen either, Superbot was just unlucky that their first game did not fare good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Unless the game tanks spectacularly, they'll almost definitely be making at least one sequel to The Order to offset engine development costs. With the tech in place, another game should be faster to develop.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seeing that screen in the article shows how much the game has improved visually in the past few months. Lighting looks much more natural now and the chromatic aberration has been toned down significantly.

I also noticed that the motion blur seems higher res now, which makes it look less smeary and more reminiscent of filmed motion.

Yep and hair never moved in previous footages even in custscenes while in the new footage here, it moves in gameplay very well.

DieH@rd

Banned
INSANE visuals. Uninspiring gameplay.

ibbgfdcrfKc2tV.gif

[can anyone find the version where words "banned" are flying across the screen when rebel was shot? :D]

I'm watching the 'Storytelling in Videogaming" panel. What's up with Ru's fingers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo

I think the game will take some flack for not really pushing many boundaries, but what's there is executed superbly. Great aiming, great gunplay, great cover system, insane production values and aesthetics. Anyone who is a fan of single player cover shooters should love it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think the game will take some flack for not really pushing many boundaries, but what's there is executed superbly. Great aiming, great gunplay, great cover system, insane production values and aesthetics. Anyone who is a fan of single player cover shooters should love it.

For now, the unique things about its gameplay are that phosphorus gun, black water power, and branching melee fights. We heard about ability to control magnetic fields, but RAD did not showcase it yet to the public.

That's more than enough of new elements to make this game stand out from the others. The rest is on RAD. They have to make interesting campaign story, environments, combat pacing and reason for us to be invested in characters. IMO, they are on the good track so far. :)

Loudninja

For now, the unique things about its gameplay are that phosphorus gun, black water power, and branching melee fights. We heard about ability to control magnetic fields, but RAD did not showcase it yet to the public.

That's more than enough of new elements to make this game stand out from the others. The rest is on RAD. They have to make interesting campaign story, environments, combat pacing and reason for us to be invested in characters. IMO, they are on the good track so far. :)
Unique weapons and a unique setting is enough for it to stand out to me.

Some of the one-off stuff should be cool. I was more just talking about the core gunplay with ballistic weapons. It's more than solid imo - very expertly executed. Not sure how common weapons like the Thermite Rifle will be.

kyser73

The TV & cinema ads for this are going to melt faces, and probably sell systems.

There won't be a caveat caption saying 'Cutscene footage' or 'not representative of gameplay'.

Top Bottom