• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

I cant wait for this. Love the impressions. I'm so excited to hear more from the OST. The music from the PS4 The Order theme is so damn good I just leave it on while I do things around the house.

As someone stated before, this game really needs cover vaulting. That and a roll or dodge (think Gears) would make the gameplay a bit more dynamic. I''m not expecting the combat bowls of Uncharted here (and those of 4 look particularly tasty), but I would welcome a slightly more dynamic style of play.

MisterR

Really excited for The Order at this point. A great feeling, solid 3rd person shooter sounds great right about now. They don't have to reinvent the wheel.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Thanks for replying (not that I share every sentiment). I'm on mobile. The constant Meming and twisting everything Rad has said over the past six months has been unseemly. You can inform your opinions how you like. The "story at the top of the pyramid" freak out stuff is thought-free spewage. The reactions to this game have been extreme and I don't know why. Even the most vicious criticism of the game seems to be that the gameplay is trite and uninspired, so why the vitriol? Just foeget it and move on like I do with anime vita games.

I cant help but feel like a lot of messaging from microsoft is through various channels to create a specific narrative. the messaging has always been hyper aggressive towards Sony, however now the hardware and prior-gen rep are in their favor.

I am a firm believer that things like misterxmedia are actually linked to microsoft with the sole intention of creating a console war for younger generations. I mean, as a mod, i am sure you guys see influxes of users around specific times/events. Pretty sure Bish even confirmed that a while back. I'd be curious to see where those groups are coming from, their preferences, and why such influxes occur.

Especially when you consider all this hate is toward Ready at Dawn, who are known for their PSP work. Typically the forum response to these new undertakings from an underdog is positive and encouraging.

ron_bato

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but when can we expect to see footage from the demo on the show-floor?

This was the only other show-floor footage i could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hczmkXaqQ68

It's off-screen, and some guy is talking over it giving his impressions (in french so I couldn't understand) and we've seen some of the other stuff shown from the IGN video, so nothing else really substantial (and footage jumps from one section to another). But beggars can't be choosers lol. I'd love to see more footage if possible, so far this is the only one I've found.

edit: demo footage starts at around 30 seconds

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's mindblowing how smooth the game looks despite only being 30fps. Watching from 8-10 feet away, the game almost looks 60fps at times.

The Uncharted 4 footage in high quality reminded me how smooth 30fps can look when it's actual, honest-to-god 30fps and not 24-28fps. I've only seen new The Order footage on youtube and my playback is fucked in Firefox, but it's nice to hear they're keeping the framerate smooth.

DieH@rd

Banned
mngwlq.gif

naycri.gif

camac002

It has an incredible motion blur implementation that's doing it's job properly. All 30fps games need it.

Yep, if I was making a 30 fps game then I would make object/camera motion blur the effect that absolutely can not be removed for performance. And for some people they don't consciously realize it is a key part of the 'next-gen' or CG look. I would hope U3 to use Order style blur if they properly drop to 30.

viveks86

I totally missed you there Viveks. I was one of the first 20 people lined up and would have been second if not for a security guard that told me there was no one lined up yet and didn't let me in!!

Did meet DJ Lucious though.

Oh nice! That place was insane! Yeah I barely met anyone from Gaf. Kept running around with my head cut off! :D

Good news for the order. Witcher 3 no longer releasing in Feb. And of course neither is Bloodborne.

So it seems like The Order now has Feb to itself. :)

I just hope this game is good and that it succeeds financially lol.

Good news for the order. Witcher 3 no longer releasing in Feb. And of course neither is Bloodborne.

So it seems like The Order now has Feb to itself. :)

I just hope this game is good and that it succeeds financially lol.

Hang on there now, there's still some heavy competition in the form of Evolve.

tumblr_muxq6cWtQr1sn7q0no1_400.gif

Begaria

Hang on there now, there's still some heavy competition in the form of Evolve.

It just hit me. Evolve is four hunters revolving around taking down mythical creatures in an online setting with a base setting and story. The Order: 1886 is about four hunters revolving around taking down mythical creatures in a single player setting with a huge focus on setting and story. It's the battle of opposite ideals in February.

It just hit me. Evolve is four hunters revolving around taking down mythical creatures in an online setting with a base setting and story. The Order: 1886 is about four hunters revolving around taking down mythical creatures in a single player setting with a huge focus on setting and story. It's the battle of opposite ideals in February.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

That honestly never occurred to me before.

So what you're saying is we're getting two games based on Ghostbusters

This was the only other show-floor footage i could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hczmkXaqQ68

It's off-screen, and some guy is talking over it giving his impressions (in french so I couldn't understand) and we've seen some of the other stuff shown from the IGN video, so nothing else really substantial (and footage jumps from one section to another). But beggars can't be choosers lol. I'd love to see more footage if possible, so far this is the only one I've found.

edit: demo footage starts at around 30 seconds

I will translate what he says:

- This game is one of the most beautiful games I've seen. He's amazed at the graphics, the AA, The clothes textures, the shininess of the guns etc.
- Gameplay is very good and very versatile, from shooting, to sniping ( he explains the sniping: You have to find specific targets amongs people), to unlocking locks using L3 and R3, to stealth (this is the only point where he thinks it needs a bit of an improvement, doesnt really tell why though).

Then he repeats, that it's graphically the best game he ever saw probably and that the gameplay is great. He was also intrigued with the story and wants to know more. After the demo he wanted to keep playong it. This is his most anticipated game right now.

Shit he got me hyped

Cool impressions, thanks for that. I think it's going to be a solid shooter, have wonderful tech and be a great game. My main concern is level design and AI. Ghost of Sparta was excellent and I hope this is RAD's ticket into the big time. I hope it sells strongly for them.

EDIT - one other thing, what was the level design like in the demo? Is it as linear as, say, Uncharted, or is it a bit more open like The Last of Us? Or perhaps something else entirely?

Pimpwerx

An Order thread without overreacting to past quotes for the 59th time or the same demo at different expos for the 60th time are so foreign to me.
Almost as foreign as the retractive posts from all the posters who shit up those threads with their overreactions. The claims of concern trolling were very true. Now that good word is spreading about the game, the complainers are no longer posting. Don't get me wrong, that's a great thing. This thread is so much easier to read now. I'm loving the impressions. It justifies my decision to keep reading The Order threads. PEACE.

Elginer

So what you're saying is we're getting two games based on Ghostbusters

I think I love you. LOL

Joking aside, I'm so glad to hear that this is shaping up nicely. I was excited by the look and the mythology of the game since day one. Even have the CE paid off. Even if it's just a supernatural and steampunk Gears of War, that's fine by me.

Game4life

Banned
Almost as foreign as the retractive posts from all the posters who shit up those threads with their overreactions. The claims of concern trolling were very true. Now that good word is spreading about the game, the complainers are no longer posting. Don't get me wrong, that's a great thing. This thread is so much easier to read now. I'm loving the impressions. It justifies my decision to keep reading The Order threads. PEACE.

I am one of the people who shat on this game. I still think the way it has been marketed was shoddy and there are some questionable design decisions in the game. But I will be super glad if it does well and turns out good. Like I said before. I will be the happiest if I have to eat crow. I am really happy with the impressions so far.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, the shotgun has a huge blast radius and looks fun to use.

And that's all I got. Doesn't look great otherwise.

Same here. But I expected a gun like that to disassemble enemies to bits. Instead bodies drop and the enemies' weapon went nuts bouncing off things.

It seems to be all about the setpieces with this one, which reminds me a big of Resistance. Not great, not bad, just okay. I am still cautiously optimistic, as I love that kind of game.

viveks86

Cool impressions, thanks for that. I think it's going to be a solid shooter, have wonderful tech and be a great game. My main concern is level design and AI. Ghost of Sparta was excellent and I hope this is RAD's ticket into the big time. I hope it sells strongly for them.

EDIT - one other thing, what was the level design like in the demo? Is it as linear as, say, Uncharted, or is it a bit more open like The Last of Us? Or perhaps something else entirely?

The section we played was definitely more like Uncharted. We were fighting within an airship, so it felt pretty linear.

The section we played was definitely more like Uncharted. We were fighting within an airship, so it felt pretty linear.

Yeah; I got that impression from the trailer that it would obviously be a linear environment (as one would expect from an airship). Hopefully the docks and other sections of London are a bit more open.

However just to be clear, I'm not expecting it to be a wide-open shooter. I'm aware RAD are making a linear action shooter in the vein of Uncharted 2, and I'm quite okay with that.

I cant help but feel like a lot of messaging from microsoft is through various channels to create a specific narrative. the messaging has always been hyper aggressive towards Sony, however now the hardware and prior-gen rep are in their favor.

I am a firm believer that things like misterxmedia are actually linked to microsoft with the sole intention of creating a console war for younger generations. I mean, as a mod, i am sure you guys see influxes of users around specific times/events. Pretty sure Bish even confirmed that a while back. I'd be curious to see where those groups are coming from, their preferences, and why such influxes occur.

Especially when you consider all this hate is toward Ready at Dawn, who are known for their PSP work. Typically the forum response to these new undertakings from an underdog is positive and encouraging.

Yeah mate, ya got me, I'm a MS shill. Just look through my posts, all that undying loyalty.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Yeah mate, ya got me, I'm a MS shill. Just look through my posts, all that undying loyalty.

Not sure anyone ever called you a shill but it will be interesting to see the tone of future Order threads and if certain posters will still show up.

Seeing as almost every review coming out of PSX is positive I hope the drive by shit posting is finally coming to an end RAD does not deserve it.

These impressions have shot up my anticipation dramatically. Their unwillingness to show gamepay before this event was killing me, and what they did show only looked OK and impressions were OK or negative. Now we have this new gameplay which I thought looked smooth and tight and the impressions confirm that for me. Sounds to me they really tightened this thing up over the last few months. Definitely considering a day one pick up now, I like everything I see and hear.

Servbot24

Banned
With Bloodborne and Witcher both pushed back this definitely looks more tempting... Just want to wait on the replayability factor. $60 for a ~12hr campaign ain't gonna work out.

I guess the marketing has been a mess for this game because the general consensus seems to have totally flip-flopped. I'm actually more excited for this than Uncharted 4 now.

Sizzle55

This is my game for February for sure. I have always had high hopes for it and I think it will deliver. The other big Feb game Evolve looks cool but I have no interest in playing it at all. Evolve needs four people to team up and co-ordinate and for the servers to work! Recent history suggest that may be a stretch. The Order single player jump in and shoot suits me, I am like Skynyrd "doing all I can to be a simple man".

So the general impression I'm getting is that the game seems competent if generic (forgive me, I hate that word too, but it seemed applicable), with good pacing and mostly unintrusive cutscenes and QTEs. The first part seemed at least plausible based on the media I've seen, the second did not. I'm guessing this is just one of those games that doesn't come across as well when watched and not played. This has stayed way off my radar for some time after I basically decided this would not be for me as it still reminds me too much of a game full of Uncharted cover shooting mixed with some weird version of Red Dead Redemption deadeye bullet time.

The impressions of the health system still seems too much like your standard "soak up bullets until your shield is gone, then sit in one spot for a minute and continue" to me. One of many things that made TLoU a better game than Uncharted in my book. The compromise here sounds more annoying than challenging, at least on paper. On top of that, adding a mash X mechanic to healing is just asinine sounding (unless I'm misunderstanding and it gives a bonus or something like a torture attack in Bayo), and a missed opportunity to do a Gears-like active reload approach, which honestly was one of the more fun aspects of the moment-to-moment play of Gears to me. I may be in the minority on that one.

The impressions of the AI are probably the most encouraging aspect, and definitely not something that's come across well in videos.

One thing I absolutely can't stand is the useless banter during combat. I hope this can be toggled off somehow, otherwise voices will be getting turned to 0, which seems a real waste. The black bars oddly enough don't bother me at all, I guess I can get used to graphical weirdness rather quickly as long as something plays well (like TEW I suppose).

I'll be frank, the theme, the graphics, and that shotgun are the only reasons I'm probably going to give this a rental at this point. Which I guess is something, considering I wasn't even going to bother based on what I'd seen before this weekend.

Top Bottom