• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Loudninja

The most surprising thing to me was how good the gunplay was -- blisteringly fast and aggressive, with superb feedback to the weapons.

I'm inclined to think the actual gunplay is the best in the entire third person shooter genre quite easily (better than Gears/TLOU/Uncharted).
It really is up there. I dont I ever felt this good shooting guns really.

Aspiring

Just a question, I received the game today. In a few weeks I am getting a nice 4K TV and new hone theatre. Should I wait? I want the game to look as good and sound as good as possible. Would it look better on a 4K TV and is the sound any good?

Stupid thing I know but it really only would be a week or so and if it would look and sound better to improve experience I would wait.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The most surprising thing to me was how good the gunplay was -- blisteringly fast and aggressive, with superb feedback to the weapons.

I'm inclined to think the actual gunplay is the best in the entire third person shooter genre quite easily (better than Gears/TLOU/Uncharted).

I thought it was decidedly middling. The combat scenarios and AI were just not good. At least not on the normal difficulty.

I'll probably do a hard playthrough at some point and see if my opinion changes, but the combat arenas did not feel well thought out.

EL CUCO

Just a question, I received the game today. In a few weeks I am getting a nice 4K TV and new hone theatre. Should I wait? I want the game to look as good and sound as good as possible. Would it look better on a 4K TV and is the sound any good?

Stupid thing I know but it really only would be a week or so and if it would look and sound better to improve experience I would wait.
You could replay it once you get your 4K TV Home theater set up. I'm sure it'll blow your mind twice :)

VashTS

Just a question...

The game really won't look any different at all without a 4k source. Also, I would heavily suggest that you wait for HDMI 2.0 to be available for any 4k TV you decide to purchase. Having 4k with gimped HDMI 1.4 is currently a poor investment.

I thought it was decidedly middling. The combat scenarios and AI were just not good. At least not on the normal difficulty.

I'll probably do a hard playthrough at some point and see if my opinion changes, but the combat arenas did not feel well thought out.

There's a difference between combat scenarios, AI, and gunplay mechanics.

I agree that combat scenario and AI need some work; however, the actual act of moving and shooting in this game does it better than any other title I've played. This may be an odd thing to say, but the game moves so quickly it almost felt like a 60 fps game...extremely responsive mechanics. Which was an early worry for me because I'm not a huge fan of games that are slower.

If we're counting how the guns feel and sound and what the science ones can do to enemies sure, it feels great, but when you consider the setups, flow, enemy AI and behaviors its not so great. I actually think of the shooting as Aliens: Colonial Marines caliber, just with some insane production values.

Playing on Hard also meant that every battle was pretty easy except for one near the end, where the difficulty was ramped up far beyond anything the game prepared you for. That was my biggest disappointment with the game right there. I honestly wanted to turn the thing off, but I eventually got through it.

Damn 11 gamestops near me have the Order 1886 used for sale, Gamestop is generously selling it for $56 used and offering an amazing $27 to buy your used copy. I am being super snarky and sarcastic if it didn't come through.

highrider

Banned
It really is up there. I dont I ever felt this good shooting guns really.

It has such great attention to detail. The way they animate in cover, adjusting for a line of fire and naturally tilting when necessary. Reload animations and audio are kind of icing on the cake. It plays better than any 3ps in my book, although Vanquish is up there as well.

But I can understand the complaints about encounter design and enemy ai. If Starbreeze made a 3ps I bet it would feel a lot like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I agree that combat scenario and AI need some work; however, the actual act of moving and shooting in this game does it better than any other title I've played.

I'll agree with that. They definitely nailed the tactile feel of pointing and shooting a gun. A good combination of responsive controls, excellent sound design and great visual feedback.

This may be an odd thing to say, but the game moves so quickly it almost felt like a 60 fps game...

It's a very odd thing to say and I strongly disagree. Then again, I'm someone who plays the majority of my games at 60fps (or higher) on the PC, so it's very noticeable for me.

Long story short, he sat there for 2 hours completely enthralled by the experience. Dude is 36 years old, non-gamer, and was totally into it. I think RAD succeeded with the often ridiculed “cinematic” experience.

Yep, my wife really enjoyed watching me replay a few sections last night and she generally dislikes video games (aside from one time back in the day she watched me play most of Uncharted 2). That cinematic experience really does capture a different audience to a lot of games.

Skux

Okay where was I in my fantasy casting...

Galahad: Clive Owen
Lord Hastings: Steve Buscemi
Chancellor: Sean Connery with a wig (massive screen presence, great at being a secretive/mysterious type)
Percival: Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones)

wVOHHJx.jpg

Tesla: Benedict Cumberbatch (plays the genius scientist really well)

Lucan: John Barrowman

I am getting way too into this lol

Brydo0

Neo Member
Damn 11 gamestops near me have the Order 1886 used for sale, Gamestop is generously selling it for $56 used and offering an amazing $27 to buy your used copy. I am being super snarky and sarcastic if it didn't come through.
I bet they are undercutting the value knowing how many copies will return. My friend said they offered him $22 canadian for a game he payed $70 for the day before..

Schryver

Well if they keep it that close to $60 hopefully people will just buy new copies. :/

Gestault

Yep, my wife really enjoyed watching me replay a few sections last night and she generally dislikes video games (aside from one time back in the day she watched me play most of Uncharted 2). That cinematic experience really does capture a different audience to a lot of games.

If it's a game that's entertaining for people who generally don't like videogames and who aren't holding the controller, that might raise some eyebrows as a retort to many having problems with its interactivity and pacing. Maybe this is going too far, but if we're assessing it on the same level as a movie, then aren't the narrative qualms a fair point of concern, critically?

Robot Pants

This game is so criminally underrated.
I absolutely engrossed. I don't want to put it down and I'm only to the Agamemnon.
What else needs to be said about the graphics that hasn't been said already, but the small attention to detail throughout the entire game deserves so much praise. When repelling down the side of the blimp, whenever you lift off you see the impressions of your feet quickly flatten again against the side giving a realistic feel to the material. I could go on and on.

The gunplay is actually pretty fine. I just had to lower the sensitivity in the settings. The effects of combat are phenomenal and firing the guns feels great. Not quite Gears level tightness but still really good.
It's just those damn shotgunners who rush you need to be done away with.

VOICE ACTING in this game is outstanding. Outstanding. So good. The great script probably helps with this as well.
This game or franchise has such potential and it really upsets me these low scores (undeserved low scores) might kill it off with its first entry.
Whichever outlet gave this a 1/10 2/10 whatever needs to be ignored from here on out.

If it's a game that's entertaining for people who generally don't like videogames and who aren't holding the controller, that might raise some eyebrows as a retort to many having problems with its interactivity and pacing. Maybe this is going too far, but if we're assessing it on the same level as a movie, then aren't the narrative qualms a fair point of concern, critically?

What about someone like me that has been playing games for 25 years and love this kind of games and is tired to see open world games all the time full of "content" which mean little balls and unispired sidequest and stuff?

I don't think that the fact that casuals love games that plays like a movie confirm that for gamers it means that this games has severe problems, I as a gamer need this kind of games more than open world games that are praised for their filler content.

Oh I fully agree. It was a pleasant surprise actually. The guns just "pop", if that makes sense. Every gun feels useful, excellent feedback, enemies take bullets realistically, every thing feels like it has weight. Even the movement felt super smooth, I loved the gunplay.

The fact that a former PSP developer could deliver such satisfying combat without actually having made a TPS is impressive to put it lightly.

Honestly I'll get ripped apart for this, but I too think the shooting felt a lot more satisfying than uncharted/TLOU/and in a few ways Gears. The weapons all felt punchy and heavy. Using the Dragoon revolver made me feel like such a bad ass. Really reminded me of shooting actual hardware down range. That's why I'm honestly hopeful for some sort of MP in the sequal. It doesn't need MP because of "reasons", it needs it because the shooting is very tight and fluid which should transition well into some awesome matchmaking imo.

Loudninja

I agree that combat scenario and AI need some work; however, the actual act of moving and shooting in this game does it better than any other title I've played. This may be an odd thing to say, but the game moves so quickly it almost felt like a 60 fps game...extremely responsive mechanics. Which was an early worry for me because I'm not a huge fan of games that are slower.
Right they did a great job with this.

Oh I fully agree. It was a pleasant surprise actually. The guns just "pop", if that makes sense. Every gun feels useful, excellent feedback, enemies take bullets realistically, every thing feels like it has weight. Even the movement felt super smooth, I loved the gunplay.

The fact that a former PSP developer could deliver such satisfying combat without actually having made a TPS is impressive to put it lightly.

Yeah the only time I was reminded of their heritage was some of the early level design, felt more basic rather than claustrophobic which the rest of the game pulled off well. I think it was early Chapter 3? Other than that I zoned out that it was their first console game.

Gestault

What about someone like me that has been playing games for 25 years and love this kind of games and is tired to see open world games all the time full of "content" which mean little balls and unispired sidequest and stuff?

I don't think that the fact that casuals love games that plays like a movie confirm that for gamers it means that this games has severe problems, I as a gamer need this kind of games more than open world games that are praised for their filler content.

The criticisms of the Order have nothing to do with it not being open world. I'm comfortable saying that's a complete red-herring for people not understanding the critical reaction to it. But closer to the topic from before, I was responding to a particular comment from someone pleased how much an observer liked it.

Loudninja

Yeah this could not have been a easy task/

I think this is another case of a delay doing alot of good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The fact that a studio who has zero shooter experience nailed the gunplay, one of the most elusive elements for many studios, is a big deal.

eFKac

Got up to Chapter XIV, holy shit what an amazing game! 0_o loved the last few chapters.

I get Uncharted 3 flashbacks when I didn't want the game to end and feeling I was getting close to the end I was only playing like chapter at a time to prolong the experience lol :-D

eFKac

The fact that a studio who has zero shooter experience nailed the gunplay, one of the most elusive elements for many studios, is a big deal.

Indeed.

ND could learn a thing or two from RaD in that aspect before UC4. Gunplay was imo always the weak point in UC, and if they won't improve it, it will feel disapointing after playing The Order. On the other hand The Last of Us had fantastic guns feedback, very different from UC though, I wonder how ND will handle it.

Edit. Sorry for the double post.

Skux

I kind of want Emily Blunt for Isabeau tbh

Nice pick. A lot of actresses I was looking at were way too young and pretty. Isabeau needs to look quite severe, mature, and dangerous.

I think I'll substitute Charles Dance in as the Chancellor.

And fuck it. Lakshmi: Idris Elba.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed.

ND could learn a thing or two from RaD in that aspect before UC4. Gunplay was imo always the weak point in UC, and if they won't improve it, it will feel disapointing after playing The Order. On the other hand The Last of Us had fantastic guns feedback, very different from UC though, I wonder how ND will handle it.

Edit. Sorry for the double post.

I hate the word 'gunplay'...

Anyway, I feel like ND nailed it when it comes to making satisfying combat in Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us. I didn't much like what they did in the original Uncharted and Uncharted 3, though.

BusterJol

Man. Story/gameplay started to crawl about half way through, brought about by the games pacing.

The need for a combat roll was felt throughout the entire game and not just context sensitive when your fighting lycans or next to a grenade.

The critics really hit the nail on the head with this game's 6/10 average. So much potential. Really need to up their game for 1887.

And if they want to continue on the single player campaign only path, add some Resident Evil type unlocks for completing it under different circumstances.

If I wasn't so under the weather i'd write more but oh well.

Still my Galahad statue is legit.

Whichever outlet gave this a 1/10 2/10 whatever needs to be ignored from here on out.

Scores like and below 6/10 are plain insults to this game in my opinion. Sure it has its flaws. Like the way the frequent cutscenes interrupt the game flow.
And although I didn't have a problem with the overall lenght of the game, I still think there wasn't enough show time for the actual combat. The gunplay feels so good and punchy, I liked it more than the one in Max Payne 3 personally.

But the game just does too many things right to be considered mediocre. Acting and story is one of the best I've experienced in a game so far.

I really hope the game sells well to warrant future entries. RAD deserves it for delivering such an awesome experience. Never wanted a sequel to a game so bad.

mujun

This game is so criminally underrated.
I absolutely engrossed. I don't want to put it down and I'm only to the Agamemnon.
What else needs to be said about the graphics that hasn't been said already, but the small attention to detail throughout the entire game deserves so much praise. When repelling down the side of the blimp, whenever you lift off you see the impressions of your feet quickly flatten again against the side giving a realistic feel to the material. I could go on and on.

The gunplay is actually pretty fine. I just had to lower the sensitivity in the settings. The effects of combat are phenomenal and firing the guns feels great. Not quite Gears level tightness but still really good.
It's just those damn shotgunners who rush you need to be done away with.

VOICE ACTING in this game is outstanding. Outstanding. So good. The great script probably helps with this as well.
This game or franchise has such potential and it really upsets me these low scores (undeserved low scores) might kill it off with its first entry.

There is a lot of negative stuff, too. I don't see how it's "criminally underrated".

I'd personally give it a 6 or at best, a 7.

A lot of people seem to be adding 2 points to their personal scores based on graphics alone.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points basically and the game does some things very well. My problem with it is that it does some things so badly that it really inhibits it from being anything better than decent.

viveks86

If we're counting how the guns feel and sound and what the science ones can do to enemies sure, it feels great, but when you consider the setups, flow, enemy AI and behaviors its not so great. I actually think of the shooting as Aliens: Colonial Marines caliber, just with some insane production values.

Playing on Hard also meant that every battle was pretty easy except for one near the end, where the difficulty was ramped up far beyond anything the game prepared you for. That was my biggest disappointment with the game right there. I honestly wanted to turn the thing off, but I eventually got through it.

Do you plan to write a review (or have you already)? If you do, I'd like to read it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There is a lot of negative stuff, too. I don't see how it's "criminally underrated".

A lot of people seem to be adding 2 points to their personal scores based on graphics alone.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your points basically and the game does some things very well. My problem with it is that it does some things so badly that it really inhibits it from being anything better than decent.
Even though I liked the game, I agree with you. The flaws in the game are undeniable and almost universally agreed upon. Even though I disagree with some of the review scores, I do understand them.

Loudninja

Based on what?

Weapon feedback alone alone never makes a game. Encounter/mission design, AI design, and pacing all play a huge role. That's why something like F.E.A.R. continues to be the bar despite bland and repetitive environmental art, while titles like Max Payne 3 and Destiny drown in mediocrity despite their fantastic foundations.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Weapon feedback alone alone never makes a game. Encounter/mission design, AI design, and pacing all play a huge role. That's why something like F.E.A.R. continues to be the bar despite bland and repetitive environmental art, while titles like Max Payne 3 and Destiny drown in mediocrity despite their fantastic foundations.
Net, knowing your tastes I'm pretty sure you'd kill yourself if you played this game.

Holy shit! Review thread got locked! Thank heavens for that. I was getting dragged into an insane conversation where people think professional reviews don't matter and youtube is the future! Ugh. Now where were we… Ah… yes… digital penises!

I'd say the rise of YouTube has definitely put pressure on the traditional media, and is forcing them to change things up a bit... But I'm not sure it's going to eliminate it. But that's another topic for another time...

Oh yeah, and I finished the game a couple days ago so I guess I get to join in on saying #NextGenDong, right?

Played through the boss encounter in chapter 4. The atmosphere for that fight was INCREDIBLE, but I wish there was less handholding during that segment. There shouldnt have been button prompts, which watered down the experience quite a bit. That boss was legitimately scary and I would have liked to played through that encounter without giant prompts on the screen telling me when to dodge an attack. They should have had faith in gamers figuring out the appropriate time to hit the roll button, the boss was certainly animated well enough for anyone to figure out when and from which direction he would attack.

Anyway, other than that clown closet respawning AI section in chapter III, I havnt experienced anything that would cause me to have a childish temper tantrum and rate the game below average. Game is hovering around 3 and a half stars out of 5 territory for me.

For some reason lots of people only focus on the negative and completely ignore the good parts of games. It baffles my mind. Like an above poster said, I love playing games for what they are, not critique them and let the negatives kill an experience for me. Of course there are bad games, but this game simply is not a bad game. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around some of those really low scores it got.
Only on chapter 4, but yeah, this game is no Lair (fundamentally broken) or Haze (nauseatingly bad) It's just an average TPS with incredible graphics.

Top Bottom