• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

I don't see how some people can have a problem with this game getting 5 or 6 .
As someone who paid 60 for the game it's lacking in so many ways and it has to much flaws.
Yes the gunplay is nice but everything else is sub par compare to other TPS games i played.
Level design is bad for most of it , enemy AI is awful for both humans and lycan .
The story is hit or miss depending on the person , other poor game play designs like QTE or stealth missions .
Takes away to much control from the player , lack of content , lack of replay ability .

Skux

I wasn't saying not to bring up ideas, I just personally feel things like that aren't in the best interest of improving the game they set out to make. I'm thinking things like expanding on the level design, implementing more dynamic enemy encounters, enemy variety, AI and slightly less cutscenes vs gameplay would drastically improve the IP, to me at least.

Well my idea is to turn the sequel into a stealth infiltration game hehe

I dont know about "levelling up" but I really wish the boss encounter in that hospital was more "Evil Within" or "Siren:Blood Curse" where the boss hunts you and you have a series of evasive or combat oriented exchanges with it. Fucking Siren man, that game has appalling, wonky controls, bad graphics, and a poor framerate, but it still managed to make some of the best horror themed bosses ever. More developers should strive to imitate how they gave an element of depth and complexity to their bosses.
I agree that boss encounter could have been much more creepier. I definitely expected you would keep running the hell away from it. Horror themed bosses are hard to pull off now a days

cianuro

Neo Member
Best ever.

B-kv25cUMAAIUmK.png:large

That's why we both suggested something subtle.

Have some sort of currency or XP accumulating in the background and then between chapters have Tesla upgrade a weapon of your choice, at least. They even have your upgrade guy built into the game already.

If they want to avoid numbers you could just choose "increase accuracy" or "increase damage", etc.
Literally each weapon handled differently and had distinct uses in combat. I'm just really against that because I loved the fact that each gun already has its own unique feel...having things like that just takes away from it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't saying not to bring up ideas, I just personally feel things like that aren't in the best interest of improving the game they set out to make. I'm thinking things like expanding on the level design, implementing more dynamic enemy encounters, enemy variety, AI and slightly less cutscenes vs gameplay would drastically improve the IP, to me at least.

Yeah, that'd be fine, too. I don't even have a problem with the cutscene volume, but the fact that they aren't skippable is murder to replayability.

They nailed the engine and the feel of the combat, they just really need to expand on that stuff and give the game a lot more interesting encounters and scenarios. Hopefully their next game will be their Uncharted 2.

Literally each weapon handled differently and had distinct uses in combat. I'm just really against that because I loved the fact that each gun already has its own unique feel...having things like that just takes away from it.

The main problem is that they didn't seem to design the encounters around any of the weapons. They occasionally force weapons in and out of your hands, but they all feel so completely interchangeable. They are cool looking, but not really unique at all. Every combat scenario could be approached with just about any weapon and you wouldn't really have any significant advantage or disadvantage.

Best ever.

"short film?"

nib95

Banned
Well, everyone has their opinion, though I disagree with that assessment :)

Absolutely agree. I also think they do need to leave more player control in certain areas. For example, melee combos should not always switch to the cinematic angle, it removes some of the input to visual feedback, and makes them feel less responsive and brutal as a result (compared to say LoU). Other scenes, where you first come across the Eldar Lycan for example, chomping up the dead body (as per the bit shown in earlier demos), would have been far, far scarier if it never cut to a cut scene the moment you come across him. Imagine having full player control and seeing that shit in the distance. It was a wasted "Nope. Fuck this shit" type of moment.

antitrop

Except for the pistols. Most were redundant.

I actually liked how there wasn't any leveling up on this game, no worries about min-maxing there, just a smooth and enjoyable ride all along.
I was greatly entertained playing this game.

I agree but god I wish I could have carried the single shot rifle and a auto rifle at times. Upgrade to carry more weapons like the last of us would be sweet. That way you can use the weapons for their strengths.

nib95

Banned
Except for the pistols. Most were redundant.

I used pistols more than any of the other weapon types, barring maybe shotguns lol. The different pistols definitely all have very unique and individual qualities. They each handle differently imo.

I don't see how some people can have a problem with this game getting 5 or 6 .
As someone who paid 60 for the game it's lacking in so many ways and it has to much flaws.
Yes the gunplay is nice but everything else is sub par compare to other TPS games i played.
Level design is bad for most of it , enemy AI is awful for both humans and lycan .
The story is hit or miss depending on the person , other poor game play designs like QTE or stealth missions .
Takes away to much control from the player , lack of content , lack of replay ability .

I don't think the problem is so much with the 5/10 or 6/10 scores themselves, but rather when you look at the types of games that typically receive those scores, the order stands out as being of far superior quality to them.

I don't think any overt leveling systems would really fit in with the game, but given that Tesla looks like he will play a more prominent role in the future installments I think they could tie in a weapons upgrade system into him.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't think the problem is so much with the 5/10 or 6/10 scores themselves, but rather when you look at the types of games that typically receive those scores, the order stands out as being of far superior quality to them.

agree to disagree then, because i can't think of many games that are as heavy on the cutscenes and how 1 dimensional the game is.

The main problem is that they didn't seem to design the encounters around any of the weapons. They occasionally force weapons in and out of your hands, but they all feel so completely interchangeable. They are cool looking, but not really unique at all. Every combat scenario could be approached with just about any weapon and you wouldn't really have any significant advantage or disadvantage.
Eh, I think many would agree each gun felt pretty distinct...even if the combat areas didn't necessitate the use of every single gun, they all handled differently at least. Different amounts of recoil, ammo, range, etc. Again I don't think leveling up weapons would solve the issue you're talking about. It all goes back to just fixing up the combat encounters.

Skux

Yeah, I mean look at 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Bog-standard TPS (with vehicle sections!), by-the-numbers cover gameplay, average presentation, nonsensical story, 6-7 hours of content, only redeemed by its tongue-in-cheek attitude. Screams rental (and I did rent it and play it because of its crazy premise).

It got 7s across the board and has a 71 Metacritic. What.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, I mean look at 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Bog-standard TPS (with vehicle sections!), by-the-numbers cover gameplay, average presentation, nonsensical story, 6-7 hours of content, only redeemed by its tongue-in-cheek attitude. Screams rental (and I did rent it and play it because of its crazy premise). It got 7s across the board and has a 71 Metacritic. What.
What are we even doing anymore guys.

Let it go

antitrop

The service revolver is the only one I didn't care for. Just felt straight-up worse than the duelist or dragoon. I thought the autoloading pistol and machine pistol were distinct enough.

I dunno, I saw no use for how many there were. Maybe if there were difficulties higher than just Hard (which is still super easy).

antitrop

Yeah, I mean look at 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Bog-standard TPS (with vehicle sections!), by-the-numbers cover gameplay, average presentation, nonsensical story, 6-7 hours of content, only redeemed by its tongue-in-cheek attitude. Screams rental (and I did rent it and play it because of its crazy premise).

50 Cent: Blood in the Sand is an overlooked classic, you shut your mouth

I had more fun with that game than 95% of the trite trash that came out last-gen.

leng jai

Different budget and expectations.

I dunno, I saw no use for how many there were. Maybe if there were difficulties higher than just Hard (which is still super easy).

I guess it depends on how much disparity you want between same-class weapons. Though, I would have liked to see a Killzone or Uncharted-style shotgun pistol take the place of one of the existing ones. Preferably the Duelist or Service Revolver. Would serve a neat niche.

vpance

I guess everyone in here is done the game ages ago. Just started it since Amazon delivered today.

Not far into it at all but I like the gunplay. Wish the game had a quick turn command though.. Cmon RAD.

I decided to rewatch the gameplay reveal trailer and there was a scene with all four of the knights being ambushed by half-breeds. Man, they really pushed them into the background. I don't get it...One of my complaints from the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
agree to disagree then, because i can't think of many games that are as heavy on the cutscenes and how 1 dimensional the game is.
Just about every telltale game has scored better than this, and they are for sure more 1-dimensional than this game, and at least as heavy on cutscenes. Their only advantage really is that the are cheaper, and that they let you make story choices (which usually never amount to anything anyway)

That said, I'm ok with telltale games, just as I'm ok with this game as well. I like to play/experience them from time to time.

semiconscious

Gold Member
one last disappointment, & i'm done: how do you include nicola tesla in a game, &, instead of being a cool, interesting character, he's just some mousy tinkerer devoid of personality? see da vinci, assassin's creed 2: if you're gonna feature an historic figure in a game, at least give'm some kind of distinctive identity...

one last disappointment, & i'm done: how do you include nicola tesla in a game, &, instead of being a cool, interesting character, he's just some mousy tinkerer devoid of personality? see da vinci, assassin's creed 2: if you're gonna feature an historic figure in a game, at least give'm some kind of distinctive identity...

My guess is if a sequel comes, Tesla will be much more prominent a figure. But yea, it was a bit disappointing. I liked some of the things you could find in his lab.

antitrop

Just about every telltale game has scored better than this, and they are for sure more 1-dimensional than this game, and at least as heavy on cutscenes. Their only advantage really is that the are cheaper, and that they let you make story choices (which usually never amount to anything anyway)

The Order feels like 3 episodes out of a 5-episode Telltale season. Its story does not stand on its own, it feels incomplete and is pure sequel bait.

Beat the game and returned it to gamely but something still is bothering me: Was there any way to change to change the aim over the other shoulder? Could not figure it out.

U2NUMB

Well finally finished the game.. overall I certainly enjoyed it and loved the gunplay. While not a revolution it is a very solid game and I hope we see more.

Really REALLY wish they had a collectible tracker in game as I know I got most of them.. ugh

Skux

Beat the game and returned it to gamely but something still is bothering me: Was there any way to change to change the aim over the other shoulder? Could not figure it out.

1) enable Camera Bias in the options
2) touch left or right on the touchpad during gameplay

antitrop

Turn Camera Bias on in the settings and press the left or right side of the touchpad.

edit: beatered

hydruxo

Turn 'Camera Bias' on in the settings, then press the top left or right corners of the touchpad to switch shoulder view.

Edit: ...and beaten

Hum.... why did the game keep telling me to use cover and then when the character has a lantern in his hand, I can't use cover anymore? Are the design rules changing throughout the game randomly or what?

antitrop

Hum.... why did the game keep telling me to use cover and then when the character has a lantern in his hand, I can't use cover anymore? Are the design rules changing throughout the game randomly or what?

Yes, mechanics change constantly from chapter to chapter. Even the basic walking speed changes.

I'm getting the itch for a second playthrough already. Hmmm. I might just replay the gun fights over and over. The gun battles were good. I want more.

semiconscious

Gold Member

yes. it's part of the whole 'contextual controls' thing: what you can or can't do depends on what's currently going on...

antitrop

I'm getting the itch for a second playthrough already. Hmmm. I might just replay the gun fights over and over. The gun battles were good. I want more.

I'm going to do a second run on easy to pick up the Platinum and appreciate the detail of the game a bit more. Play with headphones, instead of my TV speakers, too.

Game looks too good to trade in, yet.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Order feels like 3 episodes out of a 5-episode Telltale season. Its story does not stand on its own, it feels incomplete and is pure sequel bait.
I've heard that - not seen the ending yet - but that's a shame. Even if someone would say that it's not a net positive over their games, I simply don't see how it can be valued so much *less*, when in some important ways this game is better, and offers more than a typical telltale game. Yes it comes at a higher price tag, but I just don't get this obsession over 'value' in games, when trading them in is such an easily available option for those who want to do it.

Top Bottom