• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

funkypie

Banned
That's fair enough but from the sounds Of it I would be around the same as you, and there has been loads of shooting, QTEs and even walking around. To say you played 30 monutes and no gameplay is taking the piss. Also 2 hours and questioning when the game will start?

Sure the start was a little slow but it's not that bad. The whole first section in alwsays a knight is all shooty bang bang, and no forced walks. Your even free to wander what little there is.

It is his opinion.
Do yourself a favour guy who has just started it. Sell it now while the value is high. It looks nice but it is easily the worst triple a game this gen so far.

You just done did that!

New review: "Regardless of quantity concerns (which is a valid complaint), where The Order more crucially falls apart is in regards to quality. It does not matter if a game is one or one hundred hours long, you need to enjoy playing it, and The Order fails at that most crucial of tasks. This is unforgivable, and instantly makes it impossible to recommend."

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/the-order-1886-ps4/

I see you and Proven Deadly are still putting in the work.

GHG

Someone needs to make a new review threads so that there is a place for all the trolls to continue their unrelenting beat down on a game they will never play.

kitch9

Banned
Finally got around to playing this tonight. About 2 hours in.... Okay guys, VERY funny! when does the game actually start?

And did I just go through an entire 30 minute CHAPTER without a drop of gameplay?

You haven't even got the game have you? Either that or you are the size of fly and your sense of time and space is warped?

Which is it?

Aspiring

It is his opinion.
Do yourself a favour guy who has just started it. Sell it now while the value is high. It looks nice but it is easily the worst triple a game this gen so far.

It might be just be a terrible game and his opinion would be fine, but to say in the first two hours the game had not started and in 30 minutes no gameplay is not only incorrect it's a lie.

I love reading people's opinions especially when they differ to mine. I have just started the game and would be around where he said he would be and what he said can't be an opinion as it's a lie. No gameplay???

Man, fuck this shit. (nothing to do with the game, just the issues around trying to purchase one)

It's been 4 days since launch, and while The Order bundles are available at the Sony Stores... the standalone game ain't. (-___-)

Screw this. Since I've gotten free PSN credits thanks to partaking in some contest/survey last year, and The Order is $40 at the Asia store, I'll be able to get the game digital at approximately $35 dollars.

Marvel

could never
Oh god he knows, lol.
iZnW3EfOnYd9E.jpg

Melchiah

Completed the game in 11½ hours, during three evenings. It certainly wasn't without faults, but the atmospheric ride was very enjoyable. A solid 4/5 game on a Netflix scale, which just reinforces my stance to ignore what reviewers say, as their opinions and playtimes have no bearing on reality for me.

I definitely hope there'll be a sequel, and that they introduce more variety to the enemy encounters, and lessen the amount of QTEs. The silent takedowns, and hand-to-hand combat agaist werewolves, were annoying due to them. That goes for short-circuiting the alarms and locks as well. All in all, the good outweighed the bad for me though.

Kyoufu

Despite some annoying sections in the game (chapter 11, ugh), I really enjoyed this. Honestly don't understand the poor reception from the press, but I don't base my purchases around what other people think anyway.

Really excited for a sequel which will hopefully fix some issues I have with the game, like the long stealth sections kicking you back to the beginning of the checkpoint because of the instant-fail mechanic and the stupid "defeat three lychans" fights.

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere and presentation and a big thumbs up to the character designs. Galahad especially.

Melchiah

Really excited for a sequel which will hopefully fix some issues I have with the game, like the long stealth sections kicking you back to the beginning of the checkpoint because of the instant-fail mechanic and the stupid "defeat three lychans" fights.

The last stealth section was better, as you could take them down with the weapon given to you, instead of having to toss a coin whether you fail or not with the QTE takedowns. There definitely could have been more variety to the werewolf encounters. They could have introduced TLOU-like hiding and sneaking to them.

Kyoufu

Oh and I really need to say this, because it made the gunplay much more satisfying for me than most other TPS games: The special guns.

The Arc & Thermite guns are reeeally fun to use and add that special spice that most shooters lack. Hope to see even more awesome inventions in the sequel.

brobban

Finished It now. I agree with a lot of the reviews.
- short
- beautiful, amazingly so
- takes the control from the player way to often
- please let me decide when to run/aim
- good gunplay
- ok story
- great acting/VA

Somewhere between mediocre and good,
6/10

WITHE1982

So after getting the platinum this weekend I decided to trade in my copy yesterday while it's still worth a few bob. Popped the game in my (man)bag but never even made it to the Game store. The pull of a second play-through was just too strong.

Gonna start it again tonight to get a better grasp on the story as I seem to have missed a fair few things based on this thread alone. I just cannot get enough of this world which RAD have so painstakingly created. Say what you will of the limited game-play and often pointless QTE. You just cannot deny the unrivaled atmosphere this game has. It's almost as palpable as the smog shrouding the streets of Victorian London.

Melchiah

So after getting the platinum this weekend I decided to trade in my copy yesterday while it's still worth a few bob. Popped the game in my (man)bag but never even made it to the Game store. The pull of a second play-through was just too strong.

Gonna start it again tonight to get a better grasp on the story as I seem to have missed a fair few things based on this thread alone. I just cannot get enough of this world which RAD have so painstakingly created. Say what you will of the limited game-play and often pointless QTE. You just cannot deny the unrivaled atmosphere this game has. It's almost as palpable as the smog shrouding the streets of Victorian London.

I'm itching to platinum the game as well, but I'm going to postpone the second playthrough in the hope they'll add a photo mode later on.

WITHE1982

I'm itching to platinum the game as well, but I'm going to postpone the second playthrough in the hope they'll add a photo mode later on.

A photo mode for this would just destroy my PS4s hard drive.

There's a lot of things I think that RAD should be looking to patch in. I've love to have a collectibles option in the pause menu with the ability to view newspapers and inspected objects, not just the phonographs. Also the extras menu is strangely bare at the minute. I believe there's only "credits" as an option in there. I expect that to be fleshed out a bit in upcoming patches.

I'd also kill for a horde mode but I know it'll probably never happen.

Melchiah

A photo mode for this would just destroy my PS4s hard drive.

There's a lot of things I think that RAD should be looking to patch in. I've love to have a collectibles option in the pause menu with the ability to view newspapers and inspected objects, not just the phonographs. Also the extras menu is strangely bare at the minute. I believe there's only "credits" as an option in there. I expect that to be fleshed out a bit in upcoming patches.

I'd also kill for a horde mode but I know it'll probably never happen.

Heh. I've got 369 screenshots so far, so I can see your point.

I actually took screenshots of the newspapers just so I can view them later. I think I missed some of the collectible trophies, because I didn't get to inspect all of them in
the United India Company
before the game moved forward.

Someone needs to make a new review threads so that there is a place for all the trolls to continue their unrelenting beat down on a game they will never play.

Seriously, I rather not see another one of those threads. That review thread teached me the meaning of carnival of stupid.

Bishop89

I cant believe the hate this game got.

Im only on chapter.. 5-6?
need to find 2nd device on the zeppelin
and I am having a blast. Game is super fun. I don't even feel like the cutscenes are that intrusive because there pretty much is no filler.

I feel like I've been in control for the majority of the time.

Whether that changes later on I dont know, but so far so good.

THe cast is soo good as well. I'm loving Galahad. He is one of my favourite new characters this gen.

Galahad was already aware that the company
were evil as fuck though
, that section in the gardens was after the whole dock events with the
vampires being transported around the world

I actually just checked an there was a phonograph where the rebels
talk about contacting Marquis after the events of the Agamemnon as they think he would turn to their side. Very interesting that Galahad gets involved after that, I wonder if the Marquis is already a double agent at that point. His moment of hesitation during the trial (he really had no choice but to side with The Order there, otherwise he would be under suspicion too) and their moment in the pub definitely point to his status being in question for the next game, at least in terms of being open-minded to disbelieving The Order.
What!? Where was this particular phonograph? Thought I scoured every inch of each chapter lol...

Radec

If you like him that early in, you'll love him even more as time goes on.

The dude has no mercy killing guards with his knife. A blow to the back of the head would suffice, but nope. Gotta stab him in the neck!

Who doesn't love that?!

curb

Banned
Finally finished the last couple chapters last night. I am surprised how much I really loved this game. I was expecting to be disappointed after the review fallout but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Now I'm really hoping it sells enough to get a sequel.

geminibros

Neo Member
The journalist who gave The Order a 1/5 even admitted this earlier in this very thread. That he has greater expectations/standards for new IP than he does established franchises or sequels, and as such doesn't expect as much innovation from them. Kind of an unfair way of treating new IP's if you ask me, and probably one more reason we're likely to get less of them, and instead more churned out sequels. Certain journalists are essentially indirectly saying, nope this genre and type of game has already been done and now belongs to x, y or z franchise and therefore if you do a similar thing you're going to get shat on for it, unless you really stand out and do something different. This explains the mass hypocrisy and inconsistency of the rating and review scale system, and why games like Call of Duty or Fifa can get away with the same sort of shit over and over, whilst games like The Order 1886 are torn apart for being 'derivative' or 'unambitious'.

My words are being twisted a little bit here. That's not your fault, nib; it's just that this is a tough thing to put into words, and I don't think I explained myself well enough originally.

Speaking personally (I can only speak to my own process), I don't treat new IP any differently than I do an established franchise. Every review I walk into, I've got the same basic expectation: I'd like to have a pleasing experience. The thing is -- and this is what often creates problems in review debates, I think -- everyone has different inclinations pulling at them. The things that I love about games aren't necessarily the things that someone else loves. This is exactly the reason why so many working critics have a hard time getting into conversations about bias and "objectivity." There's often a basic misunderstanding of what those two terms mean and how they relate to criticism.

But I digress. The point I'm circling around is there's no universal truth for game reviews (or any work of criticism). Every experience is unique. Personally, I do appreciate seeing new ideas seep into games. That's not a new IP vs. established franchise issue; it's just the inclination of a single person who has played multiple thousands of games over the course of his life. I play a lot of stuff, and original approaches push some -- not all, mind you -- of my buttons. It doesn't mean that every game with a fresh angle is going to "score higher" and every derivative experience, "lower."

Here's a TL;DR example: Saints Row: The Third is, by most accounts, a rehash of SR and SR2. There's a definite stylistic evolution from game to game in that series, but SR3 is ultimately very similar to pick up and play as its predecessors. And yet it was my favorite game of 2011. That experience just gelled so perfectly for me, between the gameplay, the story execution, and overall sense of style (and oh god the use of music). There were plenty of other, more "original" games that year, but SR3 got my personal GotY nod because of how it left me feeling.

There is literally no science to this. Reviews are an expression of feelings about a particular subject, framed by just one perspective. There's not a mathematical equation on this planet that quantifies a person's feelings. Every critic that works with scored reviews has a process of working out their score, but it ultimately boils down to going with their gut, choosing what feels right.

So in the case of The Order (just to keep this whole thing on-topic!), it was an unpleasant experience for me. The fact that it's new IP is simply context that I used to anchor my critique. Palette swap the entire thing for Cogs and Locust, and put aside the weirdness of a steampunk Marcus Fenix (someone meme that please), and I'd still dislike it. I'd have written a different review, anchored by different context, but the core experience -- and thus, the core impressions -- would be the same.

TL;DR-- I don't know how to write short, sorry. But this is a complicated issue that I love to nerd out on, so if you're going to respond I hope you'll read the whole thing.

Finally finished the last couple chapters last night. I am surprised how much I really loved this game. I was expecting to be disappointed after the review fallout but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Now I'm really hoping it sells enough to get a sequel.
My sentiments almost exactly. **Fingers crossed for a sequel with some improvements**

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There is literally no science to this. Reviews are an expression of feelings about a particular subject, framed by just one perspective. There's not a mathematical equation on this planet that quantifies a person's feelings. Every critic that works with scored reviews has a process of working out their score, but it ultimately boils down to going with their gut, choosing what feels right.
I think that's what it boils down to.

People don't know why they like what they liked or why they dislike what they disliked. This isn't an attack on you, this holds true for many people including myself.

I think I know my taste but then sometimes I predict that I'm not going to like something and I end up liking it a lot. Or I predict that I'm going to like something and then dislike it.

Intellectually I value originality but when I honestly look at my own behavior I don't actually. I play FIFA all the time and after saying several times on this forum that I don't want Naughty Dog to make another Uncharted before they showed it, it is currently my most anticipated game.

Not to be too presumptuous (so don't take it as an attack) but you might fall into the same category as me when it comes to this. Earlier said you value originality and made it an anchor but you liked SR3 and Far Cry 4.

If they dont make a sequel, it will be one of those half eaten, never knew what could have been, gaming experiences. I will be greatly dissapointed if they leave the game with its ending like this. Bigger picture still to be addressed.

geminibros

Neo Member

People don't know why they like what they liked or why they dislike what they disliked. This isn't an attack on you, this holds true for many people including myself.

I think I know my taste but then sometimes I predict that I'm not going to like something and I end up liking it a lot. Or I predict that I'm going to like something and then dislike it.

Intellectually I value originality but when I honestly look at my own behavior I don't actually. I play FIFA all the time and after saying several times on this forum that I don't want Naughty Dog to make another Uncharted before they showed it, it is currently my most anticipated game.

Not to be too presumptuous (so don't take it as an attack) but you might fall into the same category as me when it comes to this. Earlier said you value originality and made it an anchor but you liked SR3 and Far Cry 4.

I don't take it as an attack at all! But I'm going to venture a counterpoint: Isn't it possible to enjoy both? Can't you love FIFA and Uncharted but also crave original experiences? I don't see this as a one or the other situation. I have familiar standards that I love to play (and I'm always open to finding new ones, as my current obsession with Destiny can attest) but I'm a glutton for fresh thinking in game design as well.

rSpooky

Having a great time with this game so far,
Made it to
hospital
as many said not a flawless game but a far cry from the amazingly odd , hateful reviews out there.

Maybe someone should start reviewing the reviewer.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't take it as an attack at all! But I'm going to venture a counterpoint: Isn't it possible to enjoy both? Can't you love FIFA and Uncharted but also crave original experiences? I don't see this as a one or the other situation. I have familiar standards that I love to play (and I'm always open to finding new ones, as my current obsession with Destiny can attest) but I'm a glutton for fresh thinking in game design as well.
It's definitely possible to enjoy both. I do it all the time as well.

My point was more about mis-attribution. My claim is that the reason you disliked this game isn't because you value originality highly. It's something else.
Because if originality was very important on your enjoyment of something then I don't see how SR3, FC4 and COD:AW were so much more enjoyable to you.

This isn't about defending The Order or that you gave it too low a score. This is purely about attribution.

geminibros

Neo Member
It's definitely possible to enjoy both. I do it all the time as well.

My point was more about mis-attribution. My claim is that the reason you disliked this game isn't because you value originality highly. It's something else.
Because if originality was very important on your enjoyment of something then I don't see how SR3, FC4 and COD:AW were so much more enjoyable to you.

This isn't about defending The Order or that you gave it too low a score. This is purely about attribution.

I get it. I can tell you that originality (or lack thereof) isn't an exclusive deciding factor for me when it comes to review writing, but it was an anchor in the case of The Order because that was my way in. When I sat down and thought about the game after I finished it, the thing that kept reverberating through my head was how dull the whole experience was. When I looked closer at the underpinnings of that boredom, I saw a lot of familiar tropes that I thought were misused/overused, and they contributed heavily to how I digested the game. So you're right, I spoke incorrectly in my earlier GAF post when I used a general statement like "I value originality" to sum up my specific experience with one game. What I really should have said is "I think the lack of originality in this game is at the heart of what I don't like about it." The difference there is subtle, but extremely important.

Just to digress a little bit: The trick with writing a review (at least for me) is to find that anchor, some way to get into a discussion about my experiences, my feelings. Because when all is said and done, criticism isn't a formalized A to B process like news writing is. There's much more of a creative bent to it. This is why I personally rail against the concept of scores; it sidesteps the value and importance of good writing and the thoughtful sharing of opinions.

Wakka212

This game keeps pulling me back in. I find myself frequently replaying various chapters to be re-immersed in the world they've put together. Though it's short, I expect to be playing this a few times this year, similar to how I replayed TLOU.

Though the gameplay mechanics are undoubtedly rudimentary, the real innovation here is the world the game play segments are wrapped up in. The painterly aesthetic and precise sound/music mixing create a dense atmosphere that makes each fire fight far more exciting than it would have been otherwise.

Beyond this, I feel each enemy encounter is framed quite well; every time I'm taking a gun out to shoot enemies, I feel like its appropriately paced and fits the context of the situation. Although the encounter design isnt the best, I've started to appreciate the encounter frequency.

I really wish that last chapter was actually a mid-point of the game, because I'm desperate for more. Do we have any fair indicators of how well this game is selling?

I got the platinum for this last night. Took about 12 hours total. I'm going to do a full second play through at some point, I'd like to just take my time and take in the atmosphere and story again.

Galahad was already aware that the company
were evil as fuck though
, that section in the gardens was after the whole dock events with the
vampires being transported around the world

I actually just checked an there was a phonograph where the rebels
talk about contacting Marquis after the events of the Agamemnon as they think he would turn to their side. Very interesting that Galahad gets involved after that, I wonder if the Marquis is already a double agent at that point. His moment of hesitation during the trial (he really had no choice but to side with The Order there, otherwise he would be under suspicion too) and their moment in the pub definitely point to his status being in question for the next game, at least in terms of being open-minded to disbelieving The Order.
I did not see the phonograph anywhere. Totally missed this, interesting. Lafayete is a beast by the way, he better play a big role in the sequel.

Played around 4 hours of the game and i sort of agree with the reviews.

- It looks great, kinda like Ryse but i thought Ryse animations were better, especially facial ones.

- Black bars are annoying no matter what devs tried to do here. I hope that doesn't become a trend.

- Gunplay is mostly good but some guns don't feel very good. Shotgun and rifle sound very good though.

- Story as of now is good. I love the characters.

- Acting and voices are amazing, quality stuff.

- Music, sounds and atmosphere are dope ! I'm playing with the Gold Headset and woah !

Other than that, i agree that it takes control out of the player too often. There's not enough stuff to discover, not enough exploration, no score system like old school SEGA arcade shooters to bring you back. It's very linear but that's ok with me.

I'm still enjoying the game a lot, it's a straight up cinematic action shooter. I just don't think it's worth 70$ (canada price), especially if i don't return to it again.

Played around 4 hours of the game and i sort of agree with the reviews.

- It looks great, kinda like Ryse but i thought Ryse animations were better, especially facial ones.

- Black bars are annoying no matter what devs tried to do here. I hope that doesn't become a trend.

Good impressions, I can't believe its $70 that is nuts. Your one of the few that noticed the black bars and your also remembering Ryse with a bit of favorable tint. Me and my brother were just testing his new PC out with it and it doesn't do anything better than this game especially not animations.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The voice acting in this game is top notch. Like, some of the best I've heard in a game. Even the random conversations between NPC's are really well done.

ClearData

Reminds me if the Steve Jobs adage "People don't know what they want until you show them. " Regarding Apple products. I believe that's how the Quote went.

Just got the game in the mail and played up to chapter 3 (I think it was 3). Son is sick so I couldn't play too much, only when he was sleeping. So far I like it, though it does take control away from you often to go into a cut scene, and at times you walk about 10 feet at a time and it goes into a mini-movie, those parts should just be all movie.
But I like the gun fights so far, got a chance to use the lightening gun and that was pretty cool. Production like everyone says is off the charts (though a bit too heavy with the grain on screen) but it's amazing to look at and listen to.
I haven't had to deal with any QTE so far, but I'm sure they'll pop up very soon. If the game largely carries on like it has so far I'll be pretty happy with it. Not the best game I've played but so far I'm entertained. If anything this game engine could be used for more things in the future.

Spades

Finished It now. I agree with a lot of the reviews.
- short
- beautiful, amazingly so
- takes the control from the player way to often
- please let me decide when to run/aim
- good gunplay
- ok story
- great acting/VA

Somewhere between mediocre and good,
6/10

Just finished the game myself and I pretty much agree with everything above. The ending was pretty lame also. It's like they forgot to, you know, end the rest of the story.

This x 100! I hated it in Evil Within also.

NHale

THe cast is soo good as well. I'm loving Galahad. He is one of my favourite new characters this gen.

If you love Galahad at Chapter 6, then I can't imagine what you will feel during the rest of the game.

I said this when I gave my final opinion here about the game but Galahad is by far the best Sony character since Nathan Drake. Ready at Dawn managed to do it on their first try what Guerrilla Games failed to do in 4 attempts so far...

TalonJH

I'm only on chapter 5 but I 'm enjoying so far except for the first werewolf encounter(Just seemed too simple). Also, THAT GD THERMITE RIFLE! Surely someone has thought of it before right? It's almost Iconic. I expect to see it in the next game as well.

Max Payne

Neo Member

Plenty of people who have beaten it have less than favorable things to say.

Top Bottom