• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

There are plenty of opinions I disagree with but this is one I can't even give a shred of respect to. Anyone knowledgeable enough about games to be on GAF should know how wildly inaccurate this is.
If everyone thought like that, the industry would die a quick death.

antitrop

Since they had Tesla making weapons and gear for them, I'm surprised he didn't come up with the idea to slap a flashlight on one of the guns or on their armour so they wouldn't need a lantern.

So you're saying the game needs a duct tape mod?

It's 2004 all over again!

You guys are taking my SPECIFIC ARGUMENT and taking into a broad subject which is absolutely untrue. I said for THIS GAME SPECIFICALLY watching it would be fine, and I specifically said PLAYING IT IS PREFERABLE. I never ever ever ever said that watching games is better than playing them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Define Majority

Game took me about 9.5 hours to finish. There's two hours of cutscenes. That's over 7 hours I was in full control of the character. Now you can have issues with the pacing and design of those gameplay elements but coming into the OT, posting a negative review that you said sums up your position well when you haven't even played it is utterly pointless.

Same here, I would rate a few games higher this gen, but the most enjoyable game I have played this gen has to be the Order personally, I don't even know if that makes sense haha.
Its the setting I've been the most magnetically drawn to and that I see the most potential, the space I've most enjoyed simply walking around in and exploring, and the most my eyes have popped open wide at visuals this generation so far, that's for damn sure. That's also something I didn't expect so soon after losing my shit entirely at DriveClub's weather effects. But here we are. I guess that makes it my biggest surprise too.

And its no less impressive the second time through.

Now that I'm truly taking my time I'm finding more details in the nooks and crannies, butting in on more conversations, finding and taking short side routes, including some areas off the beaten path where collectibles lie in wait. And I'll be damned if every last spot in this game wasn't screenshot worthy. Every last one, looking in all directions. What a fantastic creation this is, as impressive to me in it's technical magic and coherent vision as GTA's Liberty City and Los Santos.

RAD's definitely got some work ahead of them on the gameplay formula, but they can hold their heads up high for what they've accomplished here in terms of art and world and texture and detail, and in just plain keeping things interesting.

Game took me about 9.5 hours to finish. There's two hours of cutscenes. That's over 7 hours I was in full control of the character. Now you can have issues with the pacing and design of those gameplay elements but coming into the OT, posting a negative review that you said sums up your position well when you haven't even played it is utterly pointless.

I never said the review summed up my position. I think that critics are being way to critical, I just said that that specific review did a good job of explaining why he disliked it.

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished it. I liked it a lot. The atmosphere and dialog were really great. The graphics are insane. Arguments can be made against its linearity but I wasn't bothered. I thought that it played very well too.

I'll probably go ahead and finish up the trophies and sell it. It doesn't look like it tells you which objects/notes/ect you're missing from each chapter, so that will be annoying as hell. All the other trophies look fine at least.

More game + more unique guns + more enemy variety & same great sound/art/cinematic direction and I think RAD could really have a great franchise on their hands!

Still a ways from finishing but I could totally see this as doable with all of this great stuff in place with the first game so they'd be able to dive right into building expanded stuff for a sequel with time to extend things on top of what they already have.

Sounds like I'll feel the same about hoping for a sequel when I reach the end wanting to know more. I'm really pleased they pulled off the setting and art design that originally got me so excited.

So you're saying the game needs a duct tape mod?

It's 2004 all over again!

LOL

Just finished and platinum'd the game. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a great game by any means but for sure a good game. It's a refreshing change of pace from the over saturation of open-world games we've been dealt this generation thus far.

As someone who has completed the game, I can agree with this statement. I was controlling the MC for majority of the game. I don't understand how you can give a valid opinion on a game that you have never played. Initial gameplay videos were terrible to me. I knew that I couldn't judge based off of that so I bought the game and played it myself. It was a great game IMO...because I played it and judged it for myself.

Its the atmosphere they crafted. Most enthralling environments yet created. Whitechapel rooftops, the hospital, the airship, the docks, the gardens... All of them.

Imagine 10 years from now when you plug into that level of fidelity with your VR headgear.

But the best parts are shooting people. I would just never give that advice myself. Watching playthroughs on youtube is almost on the same level as pirating a movie IMO. If you want to play it then rent it at least. Why is it ok to watch entire games on youtube? Or encouraged like in that review? Its bullshit if you ask me. No matter how shitty you think the game is.

Wouldn't most people say the best thing about the game is the atmosphere? I've seen several reviews that said the gunplay was pedestrian, but the types of guns and the atmosphere were best parts of the game (by atmosphere I mean the world building/setting/graphics).

RAD's definitely got some work ahead of them on the gameplay formula, but they can hold their heads up high for what they've accomplished here in terms of art and world and texture and detail, and in just plain keeping things interesting.

Absolutely.

This game seeps of atmosphere and that fact alone was enough to sell me on the IP. That said, the next release should use TLOU as the gameplay mark. Sure, tell a story, but don't take the control out of the players hands as often as they do in this game.

Its the setting I've been the most magnetically drawn to and that I see the most potential, the space I've most enjoyed simply walking around in and exploring, and the most my eyes have popped open wide at visuals this generation so far, that's for damn sure. That's also something I didn't expect so soon after losing my shit entirely at DriveClub's weather effects. But here we are. I guess that makes it my biggest surprise too.

Now that I'm truly taking my time I'm finding more details in the nooks and crannies, butting in on more conversations, finding and taking short side routes, including some areas off the beaten path where collectibles lie in wait. And I'll be damned if every last spot in this game wasn't screenshot worthy. Every last one, looking in all directions. What a fantastic creation this is, as impressive to me in it's technical magic and coherent vision as GTA's Liberty City and Los Santos.

I agree 100%. It's absolutely insane the amount of detail that went into this game, the shaders are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so good and the way materials react to light are so different among each material, there really is no rival. Every single area is crafted with such care and it makes the game ooze with atmosphere. If they shore up the gameplay they could have a great franchise on their hands.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Crossposting.

Um, what the hell, how in the world does Galahad not notice or comment on this? In chapter 4 of the game you find this in one of the hospital rooms.
http://a.pomf.se/frjvbd.jpg
http://a.pomf.se/rtwjwg.jpg

This is very clearly a vampire. And he doesn't say or acknowledge it at all, it's extremely blatant and not hidden away in anyway shape or form. No he has to find the rebels, because they're totes more important.

Crossposting.

Um, what the hell, how in the world does Galahad not notice or comment on this? In chapter 4 of the game you find this in one of the hospital rooms.

This is very clearly a vampire. And he doesn't say or acknowledge it at all, it's extremely blatant and not hidden away in anyway shape or form. No he has to find the rebels, because they're totes more important.
On top of that, early goings in Whitechapel you come across a few dudes in the slum sleeping in crates
(same look as those you later burn at the docks, just without the India stamp)

So i haven't finished the game yet. Tell me this, is
This an alternate history where the knights templar actually found the holy grail, and that is where the black water comes from?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Crossposting.

He says it's burnt beyond recognition but yeah, it's still really obvious what it is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Crossposting.

He actually did make a comment on that when I looked at it, but it was something like "must've been tortured and burned to death".

BONDO

Loving this game
I had some moments where i was completed floored and forgot i was playing a game.
Some work to be done on sequels but this is a great start.

Hope its like an Assasins creed 1 to 2 jump.
In this case, The Order started off better imo

Gusto

Gameplay is the majority of this game too.

I can't agree with you there. Most of the "gameplay" consists of walking and the same cover base shooting sequence.

It's almost as if they copied and pasted the same fighting sequence in between cutscenes that you had to walk to in order to trigger them. It just seems that they did it with out effort. In order to ramp things up, they just sent out another wave.

It's a beautiful lazy game.

Wouldn't most people say the best thing about the game is the atmosphere?
Ya. That is the best part. The shooting was great IMO. Not the best. Its the enemy encounter/level design where it falls short IMO. The shooting mechanics are pretty solid.

I stand corrected. The graphics and atmosphere trump any gameplay mechanics in the game.

Those games are not 50% QTEs and Cutscenes. What I'm saying is, the gameplay is not so involved and instrumental to the game that they are required. In Uncharted and Gears, which is more game than playable movie, they should be played, because the gameplay is the majority of the product.

What does that matter? The games are completely linear right? In your words everyone will experience the same thing so what's the point?

Gusto

What does that matter? The games are completely linear right? In your words everyone will experience the same thing so what's the point?

If that were the case, then just rent a movie. There's a little more to it then that. The trick is to have you forget that you're doing the same thing over and over again.

While I was playing I kept telling myself that there has got to be more because the game became rote way too soon.

george_us

I love how The Order just throws
Gallahad to the wolves just like that without even attempting to investigate whether he's telling the truth or not.

Loudninja

I can't agree with you there. Most of the "gameplay" consists of walking and the same cover base shooting sequence.

It's almost as if they copied and pasted the same fighting sequence in between cutscenes that you had to walk to in order to trigger them. It just seems that they did it with out effort. In order to ramp things up, they just sent out another wave.

It's a beautiful lazy game.
Umm thats gameplay.

Just finished and platinum'd the game. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a great game by any means but for sure a good game. It's a refreshing change of pace from the over saturation of open-world games we've been dealt this generation thus far.

Yeah this an Driveclub were both refreshing in how they threw off the currently popular mechanics that have come from open-world games. Both feel much more focused in their approach.

If that were the case, then just rent a movie. There's a little more to it then that. The trick is to have you forget that you're doing the same thing over and over again.

While I was playing I kept telling myself that there has got to be more because the game became rote way too soon.
I do the same thing over and over again when I've replayed Gears and Uncharted. There isn't any wild variation in playthroughs. His is a flawed premise. No matter what the justification is, you can't tell me watching these games is the same as playing them. In any case, the game never became rote to me, I enjoyed almost every minute of it really. I can see myself replaying combat encounters using different weapons or methods of attack.

well said man...quality post

leng jai

I find it funny this game was trashed to hell and back before it even came out when in actual fact it has raised a new standard for both graphics and sound (seriously), works 100% out of the box and almost bug free, and the game play is mostly solid (and more abundant than reviews would have you believe) while maintaining the same flaws that hundreds of TPS beforehand also have.

well said man...quality post
And even with all of that gushing about the aspects that this game actually got right, I forgot to mention the performances and performance capture work here, both in and out of cut-scenes. The Order works first and foremost because Galahad works, even down to his subtle knight swagger, and how he squinty-eyes everything just as we scrutinize each detail in the environments ourselves.

I can't recall any of the main characters that had sub par performances, and the tech here is solid enough to express those characters with their faces and body language in real time. Its impressive stuff.

holygeesus

Banned
I watched the TV spot for this during the football on Sunday having beaten the game Saturday night, and is it just me or is there a massive scene in there that doesn't appear in the final game, where the whole gang fight a pack of Lycans outside.

I can't find the trailer on YouTube though it had a review tag-line similar to 'the greatest looking game of all time' or something.

a) Am I going mad and I just don't remember said scene in the game, or

b) Did I imagine the whole trailer?

I watched the TV spot for this during the football on Sunday having beaten the game Saturday night, and is it just me or is there a massive scene in there that doesn't appear in the final game, where the whole gang fight a pack of Lycans outside.

I can't find the trailer on YouTube though it had a review tag-line similar to 'the greatest looking game of all time' or something.

a) Am I going mad and I just don't remember said scene in the game, or

b) Did I imagine the whole trailer?
I think that was part of the reveal trailer in '13?

this?

Radec

Unless they are doing something new, I'm pretty sure the combat feels like every other over the shoulder TP out there. I understand that playing it is the preferable experience, but when the game is a linear story with no choice, no exploration, you can watch it and still get the same result.

Why are you posting here?

You should post that in youtube since thats the only place your comment is valid. :)

benzy

Hope RAD expands on the use of blacksight in a sequel, like incorporating/requiring its use for boss fights or something. Using blacksight to go into slow-mo and detonate an air grenade looks and feels awesome.

cfxkgt.gif

Skux

Hope RAD expands on the use of blacksight in a sequel, like incorporating/requiring its use for boss fights or something. Using blacksight to go into slow-mo and detonate an air grenade looks and feels awesome.

Great idea... would be cool to use it to detect weak points or slow down time enough to fight fast supernatural enemies.

Wouldn't most people say the best thing about the game is the atmosphere? I've seen several reviews that said the gunplay was pedestrian, but the types of guns and the atmosphere were best parts of the game

Well who ever said that must be a ventriloquist because they are talking out their arse.

There is certainly a case for saying that they should have made the combat encounters a bit more varied and allowed more scope for approaching combat encounters in different ways.
But the guns (look, sound and feel) are an absolute high point in this game.

Top Bottom