• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

fernoca

Game's stunning. No doubt about it.

Really enjoying it so far. Guess ignoring everything about the game and preordering blindly, paid off. :p
Lycans! Tesla!

qbert-rebooted-ankuendigung1.jpg

lol, this made me think of what my Uncle Biffo once said:

""@!#?@!" indeed, young Q*Bert. We've said it before, but it needs restating: Q*Bert resembles nothing less than the mascot for a Continental male impotence clinic.

Look at him there, staring down sadly at his flaccid nose/proboscis/penis/whatever it's supposed to be - with his furry, spherical, ginger, scrotal body bringing to mind the unwanted image of a naked Ed Sheeran. What are you, Q*Bert? WHAT ARE YOU!?"

That's the game I'm playing till I get The Order on Sunday. On that note: Diagonals are hard to do without a joystick.

I'm just saying, show someone who might not be into video games "The Order: 1886" and see what they think without the buzz. This will probably tie me over in that certain "theme & setting" for a while.

Edit: Until Bloodborne.

OT: The arcade Q*Bert has an offset joystick for easy diagonals, it was always harder to play the home versions, even with a stick.

shwimpy

Only an hour in and I'm pretty impressed guys. The visuals are incredible, the controls are super tight (the runnning and gunplay feels so natural), and the VA, characters (love Isabeau) and setting are wonderfully sewn together. Most importantly, the black bars do not bother me at all unlike TEW. I guess the set the bar really low after glancing at the review scores earlier today but I'm glad I gave it a go.

Is Galahad a vampire? Why doesn't he have a reflection? Or did RaD overlook that detail?
Haha... was wondering that myself.

kingkitty

I think people should be making more of this. It is disgusting behaviour for journalists from a professional outfit to be shitting on a game like this in public. Sure criticise it in a balanced review, but to do this is out of order.

Kotaku are always one of the first on the moral high ground when anyone else does anything wrong, so they should be totally called out for this. I think it's disgusting.

i see nothing wrong with critics shitting on games/movies/music in public or private.

if they love it, they can gush about it. if they hate it, they can bitch about it.

Just finished my run through of this in around 7 hours including all the cut scenes. I played through on hard and only hit trouble on two sections of the game, both happened to contain
the grenade launcher bad guy who is a pain to kill

I really love the setting, character design, music and voice acting are all exceptional.
There are some interesting weapon ideas in here,
the Tesla gun and thermite gun being highlights

Graphically it is top notch, the attention to detail is something else. It is the best looking console game easily.

Sadly I didn't enjoy playing through the bulk of the game. It doesn't flow well enough for me, constantly stopping to take in a cinematic of something that doesn't need to be shown, ducking under a beam or jumping over a three foot gap, just let that happen in gameplay.

I've got to say that the game has zero replay value for me. Really don't feel like sitting through all those unskippable cut scenes again.

I would play through a sequel however due to the gorgeous design and looks. Maybe they should do a Blood Dragon-esqe spin off set in 1986, I would be down for some cyberpunk action for sure

Skux

Would you recommend playing on hard? I don't care about the length, but if it's frustrating until you know the game I'll more likely start on normal and play through a second time at a higher difficulty.

If you're used to games like Gears, sure. Just depends on what kind of experience you want. If you want to be more reckless, go normal. For a more tactical approach, go hard.

Fret

I think people should be making more of this. It is disgusting behaviour for journalists from a professional outfit to be shitting on a game like this in public. Sure criticise it in a balanced review, but to do this is out of order.

Kotaku are always one of the first on the moral high ground when anyone else does anything wrong, so they should be totally called out for this. I think it's disgusting.

Critics can only express their opinions within reviews, they shouldn't be able to speak about it in public!

wotta

i see nothing wrong with critics shitting on games/movies/music in public or private.

if they love it, they can gush about it. if they hate it, they can bitch about it.

You don't think it's unprofessional to shit on people's hard work in such an unprofessional manner. People have lost their jobs for things such as this. If a dev came out and said Kotaku is shit you can bet there would be consequences.

Fret

You don't think it's unprofessional to shit on people's hard work in such an unprofessional manner. People have lost their jobs for things such as this. If a dev came out and said Kotaku is shit you can bet there would be consequences.

What? People can say whatever they like, no matter who they work for or who they're talking about. Just because heaps of people made something doesn't make it immune to criticism.

Vomiaouaf

Critics can only express their opinions within reviews, they shouldn't be able to speak about it in public!

Do you even read posts that you reply to or just drive by and hope to stir low quality conversations out of your lack of basic understanding?

DOWN

Banned
I was playing with headphones on but switched to my system.

Still outputs in Surround regardless of what the audio setting says. Actually sounds amazing. Very good sound mix.

*audio settings in PS4 are set to linear PCM.
Thanks for checking. I have no way to actually see if mine is outputting surround, but it sounded good once I hit New Game to start anyway, so glad it is just an error in the menu.

wotta

What? People can say whatever they like, no matter who they work for or who they're talking about. Just because heaps of people made something doesn't make it immune to criticism.

Calling the whole game a pille of shit is hardly criticism. If you work for a huge site you have a responsibility and should watch what you say. There have been many examples of people saying the wrong thing on twitter and being in trouble with their employees for it.

IMO it's not professional for the deputy editor of Kotaku to shit all over a game in public when she wasn't even the one who wrote the review. Sony would be within their rights to blacklist Kotaku for this incident. Just my opinion on the matter.

Hasney

Why would I think that's unprofessional? He didn't like it. He said so in a tweet and the favourited a slightly funny reply to another person. I find it slightly bizarre that there's even a slight problem with this.

Binabik15

Why would I want to live there?

I really want this game, short and gorgeous and brutal shooting, yes please. I don't have time for playing very often and if I have time I don't even like playing for more than an hour or two. However, I'm not spending 70€ on a game, so I'll wait while GAF twirls moustaches.

Ferrio

Banned
Watching Aris play this, I gotta admit (weapon spoiler)
The thermite gun is pretty ingenous and beautiful fire.

kingkitty

Calling the whole game a pille of shit is hardly criticism. If you work for a huge site you have a responsibility and should watch what you say. There have been many examples of people saying the wrong thing on twitter and being in trouble with their employees for it.

IMO it's not professional for the deputy editor of Kotaku to shit all over a game in public when she wasn't even the one who wrote the review. Sony would be within their rights to blacklist Kotaku for this incident. Just my opinion on the matter.

you're overreacting.

anyways, would this discussion be more appropriate in the review thread? i don't know.

doomquake

cant wait to dive in..so..want to ask some stuff from people who've played -

Are there melee weapons?
Is it possible to go through the game using only a particular weapon or is the ammo scarce?
Are there a lot of time sensitive sections or can you just mope about looking at the surroundings?
Is there a lot of sneaking?
Can the hud and various nav markers be disabled?

BokehKing

Banned
Name 5 other games where reviewers went to Twitter and acted like children after shitting on a game in their review.

you're overreacting.

anyways, would this discussion be more appropriate in the review thread? i don't know.
Lmao, so try to have a real talk in the now basically troll thread...where he would just be clowned by people drunk off the hilarity of low review scores? You're funny

Bullitus

I'm at chapter 9 and can't really understand all the negativity in reviews. Yeah, opinions etc. but I'm really, really enjoying this. Playing on hard, checking every corner and enjoying the views.

Kem0sabe

Because movie critics dont make fun of bad movies, or journalists dont shit all over politicians or everyday people on live TV,

But because "it's my precious hobby", games reviewers should be held up to an imaginary standard that you somehow think everyone else follows.

Eirulan

This is the first console / PS4 game I play in the last 6 months ...

From a *technical* standpoint, I have to say the textures are mostly bad, a lot of them are really low-res, a bit disappointing, especially when you've played a lot of PC games the last 6 months like me. Nobody expected razor-sharp textures in a console game, but this..? Come on...

Besides that, everything else is very well done imho, AA, DoF, lighting, colors, top-notch!

Can't wait for the promised screenshot tools to be released.

Harmen

While I am not saying the criticism on this title is wrong, I do think some of the journalists are really unprofessional. But that is not really a new thing.

Also, some this a 4? In my book that is a broken mess.

Too bad this is not that big new AAA I was hoping for, but still expect to enjoy it.

Skux

cant wait to dive in..so..want to ask some stuff from people who've played -

Are there melee weapons?
Is it possible to go through the game using only a particular weapon or is the ammo scarce?
Are there a lot of time sensitive sections or can you just mope about looking at the surroundings?
Is there a lot of sneaking?
Can the hud and various nav markers be disabled?

1) No.

2) Ammo is scarce and you'll be changing weapons and scrounging around for ammo after most battles.

3) RaD definitely want you to look around, you'll get plenty of time to do that.

4) Not much, but reviews say these parts are not done well (haven't seen them myself yet though) so that's probably a plus.

5) The HUD disappears when not in combat. Objectives and markers will fade away until you press R3 to make them show up for a while again.

Rymuth

I'm a few hours in.

Visuals are just ridiculous. Nevermind consoles or PCs, this is the best looking video game that currently exists.
I was gonna say this in my impressions that I've listed before but I didn't want to be called out on it for BSing or something.

It really is a triumph in videogame graphics. ;)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm a bit on and off on this game.

While it's gotten quite a bit of criticism, I'd be fine with an average game as long as the settings are good enough, and it keeps me entertained. After working my way through a billion hours of Dragon Age Inquisition I can't wait to play a short and "basic" game without a ton of side quests and whatnot.

Will I go and buy this game on my lunch break? Who knows! Maybe! It's a cliffhanger!

BouncyFrag

So how is the soundtrack? A great soundtrack drastically raises my enjoyment of a game regardless of it's graphics, gameplay, story, etc.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm at chapter 9 and can't really understand all the negativity in reviews. Yeah, opinions etc. but I'm really, really enjoying this. Playing on hard, checking every corner and enjoying the views.

I don't mind it but I can definitely understand the reviews.

The unskippable cutscenes are unforgivable in my opinion.

I got the Knight's Arsenal bonus DLC that puts uniforms and weapons in the armory menu, but when I click on them and it restarts from the checkpoint those items aren't loaded in! What gives?

Anyone else having this problem?

I dont hear any complaints about storyline or presentation so i think this game is good for people who appreciate the more artistic aspects.

SHEF

Postman has been and gone again and no game. Doubt it'll arrive at all now.

Anyone that ordered from SimplyGames via Rakuten got it yet?

T.O.P

Banned
Game is installing, pls be decent

Reviews got my expectations in check so i might as well enjoy it more than i would before lol

Arondight

Surprisingly enough, I've been enjoying myself for the last two and a half hours (so halfway through the game already). I just got past the brothel area and engaging in fighting rebels. I expected the worst and it's not bad at all.

Guns feel incredibly satisfying, visuals are insane, Stories got me interested. Lafayette is great companionz.

One of the biggest flaws which I keep on mentioning again and again is the encounter designs. Rebels just kind of feel like they're flooding the area and they don't do much at all. Also, the first lycan encounter just fell a bit flat.

Performance is great as well. I can't even imagine how this game is scoring incredibly badly.

jony_m

So far like it!! I've only played for around two hours before forcing myself to bed, however.

The textures and environments are really impressive...

also dat sackboy easter egg

Roussow

Someone earlier mentioned "Somber Uncharted" and on my play through tonight I kept thinking something similar. There is definitely an element of Uncharted to this game. The blend of cinematics with gunplay has that feel to it. Maybe my comparisons to Gears aren't as accurate as a comparison to Uncharted.

I'm really hoping for good sales numbers on this one.

Yeah, that was me :D.
That statement certainly holds up even further into the game -- I would even argue that the gunplay is far tighter than Uncharted (The Last of Us' gunplay is uncomparable)

Couple more impressions:

The one major disconnect from reviews I've had personally is the dismissal of a strong creative vision for the game, I believe every element comes together, the "blend" as you said, is nigh on flawless. This is probably the first time I've seen in a game that cutscenes have really had the confidence to pace themselves appropriately, alot of videogame cutscenes feel rushed or push flash cinematography for it's own sake (looking at you, Japanese devs!)

The only problems I've had with the game so far are;

A: The Lycan fights; the first of the two I've seen being awkward, with the small playspace and reliance on the roll mechanic. The second being sort of a gimmicky melee fight, although a well choreographed set piece. (very minor instances in the grand scheme of things)

And B: The inspection mechanic, when it's an optional item it works great, but when it's a progression item, inspecting something for a non-descriptive amount of time (usually too long) before having the cutscene continue, really disrupts pacing, if the game just had you "Press O to stop inspecting" (like the optional inspections) at any point during these it would be much improved. It just feels a bit too masturbatory as is. (Again, super minor issue, not a major detraction except when carefully analysed).

Finally -- Anyone actually bothered by the black bars? The gameplay scenarios seem to be designed with them in mind, because compared to something like The Evil Within (a game I did actually enjoy) The camera has never got irritating, I've never felt like I've had to fight with it. Honestly this might sound crazy, but I'd like other similarly cinematic games like this to have this aspect ratio, just to increase visual fidelity wherever possible. Until Dawn, telltale style games and David Cage games would benefit greatly from it, if implemented as well as they are in The Order.

Top Bottom