• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a bit weird how the convex curves on the arm rest are smooth while the concave bend has like 2 polys.

that is highly accurate to period wrought iron bench arms. Convex surfaces are relatively easy to smooth out using a big hammer, and they are also very visible to the seated Victorian lady or gentleman so they get a lot of attention. But concave curves are more tricky to get just right without a Bench Curve - the Blacksmith equivalent of a designers french curve. Many blacksmiths could not afford these and so inside curves tended to have sharp sections where the metal creases.

Yes I'm bored

Looking forward to trying this game out for myself - not sure whether to start on my TV or go straight for the projector.

Sorry again to post this but, is the Knight's Arsenal DLC not working for anyone else?

It's showing up in the armory menu section, but won't load in when I select it.

Loudninja

Yeah, that was me :D.
That statement certainly holds up even further into the game -- I would even argue that the gunplay is far tighter than Uncharted (The Last of Us' gunplay is uncomparable)

Couple more impressions:

The one major disconnect from reviews I've had personally is the dismissal of a strong creative vision for the game, I believe every element comes together, the "blend" as you said, is nigh on flawless. This is probably the first time I've seen in a game that cutscenes have really had the confidence to pace themselves appropriately, alot of videogame cutscenes feel rushed or push flash cinematography for it's own sake (looking at you, Japanese devs!)

The only problems I've had with the game so far are;

A: The Lycan fights; the first of the two I've seen being awkward, with the small playspace and reliance on the roll mechanic. The second being sort of a gimmicky melee fight, although a well choreographed set piece. (very minor instances in the grand scheme of things)

And B: The inspection mechanic, when it's an optional item it works great, but when it's a progression item, inspecting something for a non-descriptive amount of time (usually too long) before having the cutscene continue, really disrupts pacing, if the game just had you "Press O to stop inspecting" (like the optional inspections) at any point during these it would be much improved. It just feels a bit too masturbatory as is. (Again, super minor issue, not a major detraction except when carefully analysed).

Finally -- Anyone actually bothered by the black bars? The gameplay scenarios seem to be designed with them in mind, because compared to something like The Evil Within (a game I did actually enjoy) The camera has never got irritating, I've never felt like I've had to fight with it. Honestly this might sound crazy, but I'd like other similarly cinematic games like this to have this aspect ratio, just to increase visual fidelity wherever possible. Until Dawn, telltale style games and David Cage games would benefit greatly from it, if implemented as well as they are in The Order.
Thanks for the impressions!

xkramz

Sorry again to post this but, is the Knight's Arsenal DLC not working for anyone else?

It's showing up in the armory menu section, but won't load in when I select it.
I believe it unlocks after u beat the game. I'm going by the description on the psn store

Woah calm down! My copy arrived this morning but out until tonight so I can't play it ...

where did you buy your copy from ?

I bought mine from SimplyGames (with the Rakuten discount code).. My order was dispatched on wednesday morning.. which means it should have arrived today right ?!

Loomba

I bought mine from SimplyGames (with the Rakuten discount code).. My order was dispatched on wednesday morning.. which means it should have arrived today right ?!

I ordered the same way and mine hasnt arrived yet. I'll tell you if it does or not

SHEF

My copy from SimplyGames via Rakuten wasn't delivered by the Postman today. 2 letters and no game.

Hasney

Godammit. You run when I want you to run, not saunter around places. The lack of control is beginning to get to me a little now.

2 chapters in and holy hell this is fantastic. Really building up a great world with great lore behind it.
Animation is fantastic, really well directed to give each of the knights a ton of character. Impressed at how seemless everything is.
Visuals are definitely the best this generation. Everything looks stunning.
Sound design is A+, perfect effects that really make it feel lived in and the score is sublime. Graves really knocked it out of the park on this one.
I was shocked how quickly you got to shoot someone after all the hubbub! Although I am coming directly from playing Tomb Raider DE so the whole 'kinda gameplay but not' sections are something I'm very used to. In any case I've enjoyed the shooting/traversal so far. Controls really well and the aiming is a lot better than I expected too.

Radec

Godammit. You run when I want you to run, not saunter around places. The lack of control is beginning to get to me a little now.

There are places where running is prohibited.

I hated that in the train station or something. When you are holding a lamp

DukeBobby

I ordered from them, too.

The postman hasn't been yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

havok75

Well the postie's just been all I got was a bill and a bloody catalogue. oh the joys

Oh I forgot to add I ordered from xtra-vision (probably for the last time)

Loomba

SimplyGames sent them out 1st class on Wednesday and their site says "delivered 20th Feb". I mean what the hell. First and last time ordering from them.

I took a day off for this ffs

SHEF

I contacted SimplyGames and they said they received their copies on Wednesday and sent all orders out the same day.

If they actually did this then most would've had their copies on Thursday but nobody did.

If they don't arrive for anyone today then I'll have no hope for tomorrow. I'd then wonder if they simply just forgot to send these Rakuten orders out at all.

Loefah

Banned
Nothing from Rakuten/Simply games either. Oh boy....

I might just go and pick it up from Tesco, then take the sealed copy from SG back to Tesco for a refund when it eventually arrives.

Anyone know the supermarket prices?

DukeBobby

SimplyGames sent them out 1st class on Wednesday and their site says "delivered 20th Feb". I mean what the hell. First and last time ordering from them.

I took a day off for this ffs

I wish I ordered it from The Game Collection instead.

My copy of Majora's Mask came two days early from them.

BokehKing

Banned
i'm just trying to follow the rules, my slightly agitated friend.
I'm not agitated, I just know when talking to a wall is pointless, and at this stage, that thread is pointless for any conversation. Same thing happened with Destiny, stick to the OT, don't feed trolls and enjoy the game.

Weird, it won't let me select anything other than "Stereo" on the Audio settings page despite the PS4 having an optical out to my receiver. Anyone else have this issue?

havok75

Nothing from Rakuten/Simply games either. Oh boy....

I might just go and pick it up from Tesco, then take the sealed copy from SG back to Tesco for a refund when it eventually arrives.

I'm seriously thinking of doing the same but I will probably just return it to xtra-vision when it arrives. UGH that's what I get for shopping at an unknown to save £6

BokehKing

Banned
a bit weird how the convex curves on the arm rest are smooth while the concave bend has like 2 polys.
Yeah, like the casual guy (me) is not noticing that at all

Weird, it won't let me select anything other than "Stereo" on the Audio settings page despite the PS4 having an optical out to my receiver. Anyone else have this issue?
Yeah I think sound options was why some people knocked the score

Goldenhen

I thought the option was Headphone and Speakers. But I select speakers I can still hear sound coming from all channel on my receiver 5.1.

Yeah, like the casual guy (me) is not noticing that at all

Yeah I think sound options was why some people knocked the score

it's another "cinematic" quirk, only mono and stereo sounds.
Ah ok, thanks. A bit disappointing.
I thought the option was Headphone and Speakers. But I select speakers I can still hear sound coming from all channel on my receiver 5.1.
My options are just STEREO (HEADPHONES) or STEREO (SPEAKERS)

Loefah

Banned
I'm seriously thinking of doing the same but I will probably just return it to xtra-vision when it arrives. UGH that's what I get for shopping at an unknown to save £6

Why send it back to Xtravision? You will still save £6 if you send it back to Tesco or wherever and it will be easier than posting

WITHE1982

Played this for 2 hours last night and I can safely say it is the best looking video game I've EVER played. The attention to detail on the character models is just astounding. The cloth physics and beautifully rendered environments really are breathtaking. I think I've took around 50 screen-shots so far with many more to come.

So far I'm on chapter 4 and I'm very much enjoying the cinematic experience. If anything I think the game suffers somewhat because of it's amazing ability to transition seamlessly from cut-scenes to game-play. It just make the game appear to be 80% cut-scene when I'm sure that's not the case.

The character movement is fine (although running and not running seem to be in the lap of the Gods). The cover system works great for me and shooting mechanics are workable (although I do find the hit detection to be a little off on head-shots).

My only gripe so far is the
first lycan encounter was seriously underplayed. it should have been a grand set piece to unveil the main antagonists but instead was just a shooting gallery in a boiler room with some lame ass dodge mechanics.

I really can't believe this only received 5s and 6s from reviewers. The only explanation I can come up with is that RAD must have killed everyone's pets beforehand. I've played FAR worse games in my time that currently sit in the high 70s on Metacritic. I'm gonna plow through it tonight but in my eyes it's quite easily an 8/10 from me. My jaw is just constantly pinned to the floor with these visuals. RAD can take real pride from the engine they've created. I can't wait to see it utilized more in the future.

We've made it! So excited for later today I don't even think you guys understand. This is a game that I feel so strongly about that the revoewsbdidnt even hinder my hype. Will post impressions later on tonight!

havok75

We've made it! So excited for later today I don't even think you guys understand. This is a game that I feel so strongly about that the revoewsbdidnt even hinder my hype. Will post impressions later on tonight!

I know exactly how you feel I have managed to keep myself spoiler free for 20 months and I am picking it up in about 20 minutes. no more waiting.

Mine too, but I'm getting positional surround sound all the same (ie I hear things I should hear behind me from my surround speakers).

Those with the game and a 5.1/7.1 receiver, does the game actually output in surround or is it really stereo?

Yep, outputs in surround.

drotahorror

Hmm, looks like in the second Lycan fight 2 different things can happen. When I failed the first time something completely different was happening. I never made that happen again on my second attempt. Wouldn't mind going back and seeing what happens. Perhaps it depends on what attack you use (light or heavy) to start the next sequence of events?

SHEF

I've checked other forums and nobody that ordered with SimplyGames/Rakuten got it today.

Royal Mail deliver 93% of 1st class mail next day but are at 0% in 2 days with this game.

They had no problems with copies sent on Wednesday via TheGameCollection/Rakuten being delivered on Thursday though.

Issue has to be with SimplyGames on this.

The animations are not nearly on par with the graphics. It feels disjointed. I'm pretty bored by the story and I usually soak this kind of thing in, been watching Penny Dreadful, From Hell, other movies and usually love atmospheric games with compelling stories but so far up to Chpt. 6 it's been meh.

The enemy encounters are monster closets which end after a set amount of enemies/time has expired. And at least up until Chpt. 6 you can spend most of your time in the exact same cover from which the fights start and never have to leave. That's boring, so if you decide to move around you can, but it shows you had brain dead most of the A.I. can be. AI is really easy to exploit. They'll stay in the same exact place and blind fire from cover it seems indefinitely if you don't engage them. Occasional grenade they'll throw, but mostly they'll chill in the exact same place and blind fire.

And with as many cutscenes as I've seen(up till Chpt. 6) the score just isn't on track either. There are moments which feel like they should be scored, but won't be. Just moments of long silence and characters will be staring at each other like what they've said or done has meaning, but it's not reinforced by music and it just feels really lacking. That may be a bit of backseat driving but there's reasons films score impactful moments and if this is to be a cinematic experience it'd be nice if music was as important as graphics. I like the music, it fits tonally. There just isn't enough of it.

Hopefully Chpt. 7 and beyond get better.

Graphics are good though and the black bars aren't nearly the problem they were in vanilla TEW.

GnawtyDog

Banned
"Video game journalism"

DmOfrER.png

(Adam is the reviewer from Digital Trends)

That's the way it's in this day and age.

madmackem

The animations are not nearly on par with the graphics. It feels disjointed. I'm pretty bored by the story and I usually soak this kind of thing in, been watching Penny Dreadful, From Hell, other movies and usually love atmospheric games with compelling stories but so far up to Chpt. 6 it's been meh.

The enemy encounters are monster closets which end after a set amount of enemies/time has expired. And at least up until Chpt. 6 you can spend most of your time in the exact same cover from which the fights start and never have to leave. That's boring, so if you decide to move around you can, but it shows you had brain dead most of the A.I. can be. AI is really easy to exploit. They'll stay in the same exact place and blind fire from cover it seems indefinitely if you don't engage them. Occasional grenade they'll throw, but mostly they'll chill in the exact same place and blind fire.

And with as many cutscenes as I've seen(up till Chpt. 6) the score just isn't on track either. There are moments which feel like they should be scored, but won't be. Just moments of long silence and characters will be staring at each other like what they've said or done has meaning, but it's not reinforced by music and it just feels really lacking. That may be a bit of backseat driving but there's reasons films score impactful moments and if this is to be a cinematic experience it'd be nice if music was as important as graphics. I like the music, it fits tonally. There just isn't enough of it.

Hopefully Chpt. 7 and beyond get better.

Graphics are good though and the black bars aren't nearly the problem they were in vanilla TEW.
Couldn't disagree more, loving the story so far and animations are fantastic.

Loomba

So my game didn't come in the post... I called up my local tesco and they said they had none in stock. I said oh well and thought I'd go anyway. Get there and none on shelf but I see like a little preorder card thing saying "get the order 1886 here on 20th" so I went to customer services and said they will look in back and the lady came back with the single copy they received haha.

Some luck for once! let's do thissss

Top Bottom