• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Okay a couple of hours in:

+ let's get it out of the way: the graphics are insane.
Amazing character models, amazing skintone, amazing smoke, fog, lighting, shadows, details, etc. Just.. WOW. No jaggies.
+ the atmosphere is amazing
+ ridiculous artdirection, amazing attention to details
+ gunplay is good.
+ qte-s are pretty solid thus far. They make the situation/ fights more tense.
+ some small branching paths
+ storywise there are some funny details (spoilers ahead)
(like tesla vs edison)
and a
hooker named Zelda
+ sound is amazing. There is no option for surround sound. But it IS surround sound. And it's done well.
+ great voice acting
+ great music.

- cutscenes are too long and take you out of the action because they're also slow.
- the transition between cutscene and gameplay is a tad too slow. I'm allready pushing the character forward but i have to wait a bit.
- there are branching paths, but you don't get rewarded for searching for every nook and cranny.
- windows are unbreakable, little destructibility. There should be muuuuch more in the sequel because that is fun.
- little interaction with cicilians on the street.. But that's pretty standard.

Thus far i'm entertained. Will update later on.

My conslusion this far for the developers would be: amazing attention to art- direction, details, atmosphere and characters.
The art-director and the artists should be top of the list for other companies.

I can allready tell you that the next game needs less and shorter cutscenes, cause people just don't like doing nothing for long.
Maybe the story can be told in a more interactive way. For instance, in GTA you'll be driving a car from a to B for instance while someone is talking to you. It's a small difference. Or Naughty Dog has some good examples of telling a story without sitting through long cutscenes.

Some of the smaller cutscenes just need to go. Even a camera switch will take you OUT of the immersion instead of adding to the immersion.

Anyway, i don't even have a trophy yet so the update to this impression might change.

Ricky_R

Okay a couple of hours in:

+ let's get it out of the way: the graphics are insane.
Amazing character models, amazing skintone, amazing smoke, fog, lighting, shadows, details, etc. Just.. WOW. No jaggies.
+ the atmosphere is amazing
+ ridiculous artdirection, amazing attention to details
+ gunplay is good.
+ qte-s are pretty solid thus far. They make the situation/ fights more tense.
+ some small branching paths
+ storywise there are some funny details (spoilers ahead)
(like tesla vs edison)
and a
hooker named Zelda
+ sound is amazing. There is no option for surround sound. But it IS surround sound. And it's done well.
+ great voice acting
+ great music.

- cutscenes are too long and take you out of the action because they're also slow.
- the transition between cutscene and gameplay is a tad too slow. I'm allready pushing the character forward but i have to wait a bit.
- there are branching paths, but you don't get rewarded for searching for every nook and cranny.
- windows are unbreakable, little destructibility. There should be muuuuch more in the sequel because that is fun.
- little interaction with cicilians on the street.. But that's pretty standard.

Thus far i'm entertained. Will update later on.

My conslusion this far for the developers would be: amazing attention to art- direction, details, atmosphere and characters.
The art-director and the artists should be top of the list for other companies.

I can allready tell you that the next game needs less and shorter cutscenes, cause people just don't like doing nothing for long.
Maybe the story can be told in a more interactive way. For instance, in GTA you'll be driving a car from a to B for instance while someone is talking to you. It's a small difference. Or Naughty Dog has some good examples of telling a story without sitting through long cutscenes.

Some of the smaller cutscenes just need to go. Even a camera switch will take you OUT of the immersion instead of adding to the immersion.

Anyway, i don't even have a trophy yet so the update to this impression might change.

Thanks for your always honest impressions.

Thinking about trading GTA5 in at Walmart and getting this for $34. I've completed GTA once on XB1 and getting bored of the second PS4 playthrough. Think I'll have a good time based on the streams I've seen and hearing it's an easy platinum means I'll play it twice.

Z3M0G

That's one of my quibbles.

- Not using the DS4 speaker really is a missed opportunity.

- For a game so beautifully cinematic I don't need instructions plastered on the screen telling me how to rotate an object I'm holding EVERY TIME.

- Playing through on Hard and I will play through again as I'm absolutely loving the experience, but I wish their were higher difficulties to look forward to. RAD, give us a Hardcore mode, please.

Hard is the highest? So there is only Easy / Normal / Hard? And hard isn't really all that hard I hear?

U2NUMB

Still excited about picking it up over lunch and the impressions here are I think making sure I know what to expect and I am excited for what the game will deliver.

Keep the impressions coming for those of us stuck at work.

nOoblet16

I forgot to mention one annoyance with this game and a few other games these days...when I say developers just don't "get" game design.

It's no use to come up with innovative means to do stuff or exciting abilities if you only use them a grand total of ONCE in the entire game. COD games are guilty of this and this game tries to ape that as well.

I'm really appreciative of the folks posting in here and keeping it civil. That review thread is a blood bath of sarcasm and more. I don't feel like wanting to play this game is a sin in here. Good job.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
2 hours in and that's my impression: the game is very good but not entertaining. Big missed opportunity.

I am loving this game. On chapter IV currently. I was hesitant because I pre-ordered on PSN and after I heard their wouldn't be no replay value... I panicked. But after playing for a while, I must say the world is immersive and I love the characterization and gun battles so far. I honestly could find myself going and and playing a couple more times.

I don't even mind the break in gameplay. I actually enjoy the heavy cinematic nature of this game. Kinda how I feel the David Cage games should approach things... Not just Qqicktime, but also solid game mechanics that give the player a bit more freedom in what to do.

Ah, one last thing... I love melee in this game. Just a visceral and brutal feel when you run up on a hapless enemy.

Mogwai

I'm really appreciative of the folks posting in here and keeping it civil. That review thread is a blood bath of sarcasm and more. I don't feel like wanting to play this game is a sin in here. Good job.

The review thread is a mess. It's all burned down to the ground and all obvious points have been repeated a million times. It should be closed by a mod.

But... it's probably more sensible to keep it open. All the noise would most likely go in here then. So maybe it's a good thing to have a thread for all the people who bought the game, and a thread for all the people that didn't...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Went out and bought it during my lunch break. Honestly, I'm looking forward to play it. I'm hoping that the negative reviews have lowered my expectations enough, so that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

On Chapter 4 so far and I get the sense that they literally concerned themselves with the graphics and then remembered that they had to add gameplay. Its not that the gameplay is bad by any means, there is just very little of it and what is there is extremely by the numbers. No innovation on level design or AI aggression or combat strategies. Other thoughts:

+Graphics are the best I've ever seen PERIOD. Truly stunning.
+Guns feel great, especially the pistols
+Gallahad moves fairly quickly
+Great voice acting
-Terrible pacing, too many fucking cutscenes
-Cover can feel wonky at times
-AI is pretty basic (playing on hard)
-The constant tutorials are fucking insulting (press X to traverse, push forward to move...forward..)
-The investigation aspect (picking up newspapers etc) is halfbaked. They had serious potential here to introduce puzzles, case solving elements to the game. It just exist to show off the games graphics. Such a damn shame since its a great idea and keeps you immersed in the world.
-Lycan encounter was pretty basic as hell too

This game has taken the worse aspects of linear cinematic games (which I love) and made Beyond Two Souls without choice options.

Hopefully my opinion of it changes and I get to actually PLAY the game more as I progress. Shooting shit in this game is fun.

Ricky_R

On Chapter 4 so far and I get the sense that they literally concerned themselves with the graphics and then remembered that they had to add gameplay. Its not that the gameplay is bad by any means, there is just very little of it and what is there is extremely by the numbers. No innovation on level design or AI aggression or combat strategies. Other thoughts:

+Graphics are the best I've ever seen PERIOD. Truly stunning.
+Guns feel great, especially the pistols
+Gallahad moves fairly quickly
+Great voice acting
-Terrible pacing, too many fucking cutscenes
-Cover can feel wonky at times
-AI is pretty basic (playing on hard)
-The constant tutorials are fucking insulting (press X to traverse, push forward to move...forward..)
-The investigation aspect (picking up newspapers etc) is halfbaked. They had serious potential here to introduce puzzles, case solving elements to the game. It just exist to show off the games graphics. Such a damn shame since its a great idea and keeps you immersed in the world.
-Lycan encounter was pretty basic as hell too

This game has taken the worse aspects of linear cinematic games (which I love) and made Beyond Two Souls without choice options.

Hopefully my opinion of it changes and I get to actually PLAY the game more as I progress. Shooting shit in this game is fun.

Thanks for the impressions. Hopefully it gets better for you.

Heading to Best Buy now to pick mine up, is there really no surround sound option?.....That...can't be right...

I was getting full 5.1 surround sound.

-----------------

I just shot the helmet off an enemy and he stopped and checked his head with his hand in disbelief, lol.

Anyway, I've just finished the game. It was pretty good. I don't agree with the metacritic score, nor do I agree with the scores of most reviews, but then again I don't think it's much better either. I think there's a lot of room for improvement. But I did enjoy it. The last third of the game was much better than the rest.

UglyPony

Is it like the new thing to do lately to bash the living shit out of a game even though you have never played it. I'm getting so sick and tired of the twitch community. Every single stream its nothing but people bashing endlessly the game length, the cinematic feel and oh ye... lets not forget that its 30 fps. God, PC elitist circle jerk dickheads are having a field day with this as well as always.

I must be watching the wrong streams but i am now convinced the twitch community is by far one of the most toxic ever. Can't people just enjoy the game for what it is and not for what it isn't. Is it really necessary to ridicule every single aspect of the game to no end?

And yes, i have been playing the game since Thursday afternoon and its by no means as bad as people say it is. I hope ready at dawn gets another chance and continues the franchise and improves on what needs improvement.

The lycans were a missed chance imo, the big ones are cool but the smaller ones are very tedious I though. Coulda made for some cool night time sections.

It's no use to come up with innovative means to do stuff or exciting abilities if you only use them a grand total of ONCE in the entire game. COD games are guilty of this and this game tries to ape that as well.

I said this somewhere previously, but I agree, the game is very much like singleplayer COD in its design choices - not least when it specifies just exactly when and where you can use all the best toys.

GHG

Downloading now and will be able to play in 3 hours.

Will report back on my thoughts once I've played it.

shandy706

Had my first bug of a standing corpse

It's a GHOST!@#!!

ftncug.gif

Knuf

Went to my local MM during lunch break to finally pick up my preordered collector's edition, and those fuckers told me The Order copies have yet to arrive because the courier has yet to deliver them.
This is me at work right now:
114408-Fuck-Everything-gif-Imgur-fuck-nP75.gif

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Just played some of the opening last night, was it giving anyone motion sickness lol? It was just the very beginning that did, after like the first 10 min everything was good. That being said, early impression of the motion blur is that it's too much. But that could just be me being too used to lightboost on csgo lol.

maverick40

Is it like the new thing to do lately to bash the living shit out of a game even though you have never played it. I'm getting so sick and tired of the twitch community. Every single stream its nothing but people bashing endlessly the game length, the cinematic feel and oh ye... lets not forget that its 30 fps. God, PC elitist circle jerk dickheads are having a field day with this as well as always.

I must be watching the wrong streams but i am now convinced the twitch community is by far one of the most toxic ever. Can't people just enjoy the game for what it is and not for what it isn't. Is it really necessary to ridicule every single aspect of the game to no end?

And yes, i have been playing the game since Thursday afternoon and its by no means as bad as people say it is. I hope ready at dawn gets another chance and continues the franchise and improves on what needs improvement.

Really? Because nothing on pc looks as good as the order right now

Nope, not enough there for my money. I feel the same way about this as I did for Ryse. No way I'd drop my own cash on it at $60. I'm sure I'd enjoy it as a gift or for cheap.

I do want to eventually play it for those visuals and looking at every little detail in the world though. I'd probably play it like I have TLOU, hours just looking at stuff. I pay a ton of attention to detail.

Yes, this has been talked about...or at least brought up. I've seen and heard others mention it.

Yeah I feel you. I just hope this plays better than Ryse, which I honestly got through just for the visuals. I hated the moment to moment gameplay of that game.

Top Bottom