• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 vs. the Xbox Series X: Which is more powerful?

Shin

Banned
The next generation of consoles is coming, with plenty of emphasis on how much power these things have — the better to render modern graphics. Last week we got a look at what's inside Microsoft's Xbox Series X, and today we're finally seeing what's under the hood with the PlayStation 5. As usual, we've lined up their specs for a side-by-side comparison, though for a final verdict we'd wait to see what games each system has lined up and Engadget's full review when both systems launch later this year.

1618a6793e.png

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/18/playstation-5-vs-the-xbox-series-x/?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It's really hard to say because we will see the same performance for third party games, that's clear. Those consoles are different on some areas, so i don't want to say the Series X is faster because it has 12TF.

You can clearly see they have thought about what they want to achieve. These consoles will be graphically the same, speed will be different and first party games will unleash these beasts.

Yeah, yeah you keep repeating the same thing over and over, if your going to shit on something at least bring something different to the table.
Pretty low effort.
Didn't know I had a stalker... :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Also don't be butt hurt, you will have so fast loading times... : D

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There's a reason why one presentation demoed ray tracing and the other only said that "it's very resource demanding but some games are already implementing it well". You have your answer.
They also made a point to say that it's like the AMD implementation of RT. Which means it's not the same thing.

Stuart360

There's a reason why one presentation demoed ray tracing and the other only said that "it's very resource demanding but some games are already implementing it well". You have your answer.
I thought it was interesting when Cerny said 'but devs dont have to use RT if they dont want to'. I suppose RT will cripple the system.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Come on, guys, cry a bit and get over it.

On the bright side, PS5 is unlikely to be more expensive than $449.

LOL. Unless DRAM and NAND prices (they will have to source more expensive NAND for 5.5 GB/s and Microsoft doesn't use DRAM for their SSD) actually make PS5 more expensive to produce than XSX. Which could very well happen.

Thanks you too...:love:
Your just trying fo fuel a fire that’s not there, I love watching the meltdowns too but some people take this stupid shit about Tflops to seriously.
Love you MOM
Come on, we are having some fun and it's all in good spirit.
I have been through gen changes since the Atari 2600.

We are GAF, and should be above this petty console warrior bullshit..
But we need some lols, you know... ;)

Romulus

LOL. Unless DRAM and NAND prices (they will have to source more expensive NAND for 5.5 GB/s and Microsoft doesn't use DRAM for their SSD) actually make PS5 more expensive to produce than XSX. Which could very well happen.

You're extremely invested in this.

DESTROYA

Come on, we are having some fun and it's all in good spirit.
I have been through gen changes since the Atari 2600.

We are GAF, and should be above this petty console warrior bullshit..
But we need some lols, you know... ;)
You and I know that but you've seen the other threads some people are jumping off bridges. Totally agree with the last part

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm reasonably happy with Ps5 but 2 thing concern me, those various clocks, is it going to be more walking sections between action sections so the clocks can slow down until everything is cooler.
And the noise, those clocks are high i hope its a lot quieter than PS4 Pro.

Old Empire.

That SSD difference can truly make a difference based on what Cerny said in the presentation.

Different kinds of games can now be possible because of it. But kudos to the Xbox team for engineering such a beast console. Lets hope their first party titles take full advantage of it.
[/QUOTE]

We all already got a tease!, all inengine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ascend

That SSD difference can truly make a difference based on what Cerny said in the presentation.

Different kinds of games can now be possible because of it. But kudos to the Xbox team for engineering such a beast console. Lets hope their first party titles take full advantage of it.
Honestly, I don't think the double I/O speed will matter that much. And no, I don't trust Sony's word on this, any more than I trusted them when they were talking about 4D graphics for the PS3.

I keep seeing 8-9 GB/s compressed ssd on PS5 and I don't remember Cerny stating that. Where is this coming from?

Also all the same things he talked about at great length about the amount of data/ram in use in a given scene was also talked about by DF in their video and how MS has optimized the use of that data through machine learning.. Does this mean any gap in ssd performance may be overcome by MS's implementation?

Still salty about these ps5 specs.

We all already got a tease!, all inengine.

[/QUOTE]

I get this is all "in engine." but reality still is this is cutscene. but, as a console and pc agnostic (since i have them all!), seems like the series x gets the nod. if i could only get one at launch, i'd probably lean towards the xbox and then get ps5 a year or so down the line. now we wait as they start dropping games and gameplays!

Well, xbox seems stronger. But those two pools of memory are kinda worrisome.
But I thought it's all about games.

Not worrisome at all. Devs can utilize both effectively as if they are one. Series X's GPU will have access to a shit ton of memory bandwidth even with some being shared with CPU etc. This thing is a monster. Which is more powerful isn't even up for debate. But that's out of the way. It's all about the games now.

The one you believe in with all your heart is the most powerful.

FBiWblO.gif

original.gif

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THE FLOPS AND THE DATA TRANSFER RATES AND BUS SPEED ON THESE SYSTEMS?

WITHER IN AGONY AS YOUR FAVORITE BRAND LOSES THE CONSOLE WAR BEFORE IT EVEN BEGINS

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Is it official they only offer 1TB nvme cards for XsX expansion? I’m pretty sure larger options will be supported

PS5 will support ultra fast expansion too but with specifically compatible cards

overall the XsX is clearly more powerful

I'm sure we'll see it in the same way hard drive expansions worked for the 360. At first we saw 20GB and 60 GB drives, but by the end of the generation we were seeing 250GB drives as more and more commonplace. I expect the expandable storage on Series X will follow a similar pipeline. PS4/XB1 did the same, day one 500GB but now most new consoles are 1TB. Especially if game size keeps ballooning next generation like it did this generation. If for some reason the expansion slot on the XB1 only supports 1TB, that would be a pretty stupid mistake and I don't see Microsoft as being that dumb. Not with everything we've seen thus far for the Series X.

What I'm really curious about is what the new audio engine will mean for the new generation's file sizes. If I remember correctly, when Titanfall came out and everyone was freaking out about a game that took up 50+ GB of storage and the primary explanation was the decompressed audio the game had in order to ensure solid performance on low end machines. With dedicated hardware on both consoles meant to tackle specifically the audio portion, does that mean we're going to get larger audio files as it can support more audio data, or will we get smaller audio files because the hardware will be able to do a significant portion of the work in ensuring that the audio translates correctly?

Last edited:
As a long time Playstation fan, I'd like to admit that I had brainwashed myself into believing that Sony would continue to launch consoles that were true generational leaps. I was a blathering idiot. The truth is that they have released a console that doesn't come close to having the 7 times the TFLOPS that are required for a true generational leap. In reality, the situation is worse: the PS5 is compromised in every category in relation to the XBox Series X: it only has a 9.2TF GPU (the whole idea of ten point two TF is not truthful), the RAM has less bandwidth, the SSD isn't even one gigabyte, the CPU only has eight threads, etc.

I humbly beg everyone to forgive me for being such an arrogant jerk over the past few weeks on this forum. What I said to those who recognized the truth about the PS5 was unacceptable. Simply put, the majority of those of us who were Playstation fans deserve to be ostricized from the community for our hateful words.

Fbh

Seems pretty obvious.
Ps5 will load games like 5 seconds faster, if I play at least 1 Ps5 game every day for the next 40 years I'll be avoiding around 20 hours worth of loading screens, which is almost a day.
And what's more powerful than actually giving me more time on this earth? nothing. So yeah, no contest.

Mista

Banned
I humbly beg everyone to forgive me for being such an arrogant jerk over the past few weeks on this forum. What I said to those who recognized the truth about the PS5 was unacceptable. Simply put, the majority of those of us who were Playstation fans deserve to be ostricized from the community for our hateful words.
No need for all that mate. You didn't insult anyone so don't take plastic too seriously

Top Bottom