• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 vs. the Xbox Series X: Which is more powerful?

No need for all that mate. You didn't insult anyone so don't take plastic too seriously

Yes I did. I told people that they were crazy for believing in GitHub. I'm literally in horror over how stupid I was to have faith that Sony would provide a true generational leap.

It's really hard to say because we will see the same performance for third party games, that's clear.

No it's not. We will definitely not be seeing the same performance for third party games.

The XSX version of multiplats will easily win nearly every Digital Foundry head to head.

No it's not. We will definitely not be seeing the same performance for third party games.

The XSX version of multiplats will easily win nearly every Digital Foundry head to head.
Doubtful.

Instead, you can expect to see a lot more PR related to "lead console" and "unprecedented partnership" and "timed exclusive" and so forth.

Drewpee

Banned
All joking aside, the PS5 specs are respectable. If Sony can price the console competitively they will be fine.

I do not plan on buying the console right away but I always end up owning all consoles from the big 3. I am excited to see Sonys first party show games on the new hardware.

Yeah, the messaging sure shifted fast from "Sony will never build a less powerful console, it just doesn't happen" to "but at least it has games". Guess who will be eating even more crow when Microsoft reveals their lineup through 2021.

Their lineup is all on pc day and date. We're not sure about Sony's.

Last edited:
For more than 6 months I was deciding between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X for my current console.

Day came for me to splash $1000 on a game console with games and extra accessories and i ended up walking out of the store with a black PS4 Pro under my arm.

It was the games in the end that swayed me. Xbox has fantastic games but Playstation had the bigger variety of exclusives.

That may change come next gen.

Fbh

Seems like Sony and Microsoft reversed rolls with their hardware specs like in 2013.

Seems more like a continuation of Ps4 Pro vs Xb1X
Xb1X actually delivers native 4K in some games or comes closer than the Pro in others, it's smaller and much quieter, has a UHD bluray player, actually has backward compatibility and it significantly enhances a lot of older games with much better resolutions, smoother performance, better texture filtering, etc while the Pro offer.

Main difference now being that both systems are said to release around the same time while at least with the Pro Sony could justify the crappier hardware and design by releasing a year sooner.

I'm reasonably happy with Ps5 but 2 thing concern me, those various clocks, is it going to be more walking sections between action sections so the clocks can slow down until everything is cooler.
And the noise, those clocks are high i hope its a lot quieter than PS4 Pro.
Sony is not stupid.

They know the PS4 has suffered heat and noise and its one of things most PS4 owners complained about so they addressed that with the new cooling solution that is said to be expensive in PS5.
Also you don't clock a GPU that high if you know you're going to have excessive heat and noise issues which leads me to believe that the final form factor of PS5 will not be anything like PS4 or PS4 Pro. This will be a big chunky box and i don't mind it at all. If bigger and chunkier means quieter and cooler then count me in.

I think its very well known by now? But oh wait I forgot, Lets downplay everything Microsoft offered and concentrate only on Sony's 5.5GB/s
These are all numbers that probably half of us don't understand. There is no need for these 'let downplay this and that' comments. No one here has seen any practical examples of what these numbers mean so its very hard to downplay anything.

On paper there is a gap between these two. In reality we don't know what that gap looks like. Wait until we see practical examples (preferably multiplatform games) then we can claim X,Y and Z is 'downplaying' this and that.

Some of you folks need to chill. Seriously.

No its not. Pro and X proves his point
How do two systems with a 40% gap prove his point about systems with an arguable 20% gap?

Also, that is my point. If there is a gap in hardware power, Sony is incentivized to compensate using marketing/PR. Hence my comments about "expect to see timed exclusives, lead console, etc" in the upcoming generation.

How do two systems with a 40% gap prove his point about systems with an arguable 20% gap?

Also, that is my point. If there is a gap in hardware power, Sony is incentivized to compensate using marketing/PR. Hence my comments about "expect to see timed exclusives, lead console, etc" in the upcoming generation.

It's really not 20%.

That figure assumes a PS5 GPU running at 2.23Ghz and that's not happening except for brief pulses. It's more like 30%.

Unless there is some problem/bug with the XSX version of a multiplat you can expect to see the XSX version winning nearly every Digital Foundry head to head. Just like the base PS4 beats the base Xbox and how the Xbox X beats the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Sony is not stupid.

They know the PS4 has suffered heat and noise and its one of things most PS4 owners complained about so they addressed that with the new cooling solution that is said to be expensive in PS5.
Also you don't clock a GPU that high if you know you're going to have excessive heat and noise issues which leads me to believe that the final form factor of PS5 will not be anything like PS4 or PS4 Pro. This will be a big chunky box and i don't mind it at all. If bigger and chunkier means quieter and cooler then count me in.
I sure hope so because if its signifcantly cheaper than Xsx and reasonably quiet I'll get it before the Xsx. Either way I'll get both in the end I'm just not buying both at launch like in 2013.

MS set the standard for next gen at 12TF of RDNA2.

They achieved eight times the TFLOPS of the XBox One S.

Sony failed with a system that only has 9.2TF.

Then they made it worse by only having eight CPU threads.

Then they made it worse by having even less bandwidth.

Then they made it worse by not even having one TB of SSD.

ZywyPL

Banned
Is that even a real question? Even at their peak clocks neither the CPU nor GPU in PS5 are as strong as their XBX counterparts. The SSD is twice as fast, but the question is if the APU will be able to actually process that much data?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
the SSD isn't even one gigabyte
Terra, Mr., terra.

The bandwidth advantage of the PS5 is probably really expensive and can lead to issues for late XSX ports from PS5, so there may actually be situations where a PS5 version is the better choice. But yeah, overall, XSX is clearly the better system tech-wise. If you primarily care about AAA multiplatform games, the choice is clear, but exclusives exist and do make a difference for many.

For me, the choice now is pretty clear, with the better hardware, the MUCH better controller and at least the off-chance of first party games that appeal to me (if Microsoft decides to use old Rare IP or to continue Ori), the ability to reuse my existing Xbox One controllers on XSX, XSX is my first choice. But I do not have a PS4, so I might buy a PS5 when the first revision comes to be able to play God of War 3, God of War and a handful of other exclusives I might find interesting.

As a long time Playstation fan, I'd like to admit that I had brainwashed myself into believing that Sony would continue to launch consoles that were true generational leaps. I was a blathering idiot. The truth is that they have released a console that doesn't come close to having the 7 times the TFLOPS that are required for a true generational leap. In reality, the situation is worse: the PS5 is compromised in every category in relation to the XBox Series X: it only has a 9.2TF GPU (the whole idea of ten point two TF is not truthful), the RAM has less bandwidth, the SSD isn't even one gigabyte, the CPU only has eight threads, etc.

I humbly beg everyone to forgive me for being such an arrogant jerk over the past few weeks on this forum. What I said to those who recognized the truth about the PS5 was unacceptable. Simply put, the majority of those of us who were Playstation fans deserve to be ostricized from the community for our hateful words.
Naah, all is fine, mate..
PS5 will get loads of great games.

And some ridicule as well.. :D

//DEVIL//

who gives a fuck about extra few seconds loading screen ? wtf these people are smoking ?

give me that extra power.

the hell even developers wont use that special ssd feature on PS5 because they have to make the game on both PC and Xbox. so at the end of the day most of devs wont utilize it in a more affective way aside from maybe loading the game faster . ..

Bryank75

Banned
I dunno, we will have to wait till launch till we can see the performance difference between the two.... should be about November in the US. Then Xbox should make its first sale in europe maybe 6 months later and we can shuttle people through the guys house to see how it performs before he trades it in...

CAB_Life

I’m confused as to why this question is even being asked when we have raw performance specs to review clear as day. Well, I’m not really confused because the console wars and mental (special) olympics have begun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The Xbox Series X is by far the most powerful out of the two. CPU, GPU, RAM, all of it is better in their system. The only thing is the SSD, and sure it's very fast. The question is, is the rest of the system powerful enough to do something with that amount of data so fast? We'll have to see, but at the moment it looks like that the SSD of Xbox Series X is fast enough.

*Nightwing

As a sony fanboy they technically are not wrong at all. In increase in I/O speed for accessing data is a game changer that will free up RAM during usage which in theory can make up a little ground so that the spec difference is negligible in visuals and performance... The fucking important part they forgot about again and are making the same mistake as the ps3 is essentially asking developers to change how they design code and how they make games fundamentally function utilizing hardware. And when developers are faced with the options for multiplats: 1- make 2 separate versions of the game, one traditional structure for sexbox/PC and a different but similar one built from ground up for ps5. 2- maximize game to function on what they already know best for sexbox and pc, and port to ps5 using thier best effort as a measuring bar...which do u think they will chose? Just like the fucking ps3. At least exclusives will look on par with sexbox in 5 years /s

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I think at the core ps5 is a 4k 60 fps box, where as MS's beauty-beast has all the bells and whistles.

I will get the PS5 first because I am not paying for proprietary storage nonsense. In a year or so MS will offer the Xbox-Series-X with double the storage for same price. In the mean time I will try to get most out of my Xbox-One-X

I/O is just one part of the pipeline. Sure assets will load into memory 2x faster than XSX, but after that it's slower processing of those assets in the engine for final rendering. The real test will be side-by-side gameplay.

For all those on TFlops Numbers

Playstation 5: 36 CUs @ 2.23ghz
Xbox one X: 40 CUs @ 1.1ghz
XBox series X: 52 Cus @ 1.85ghz

Playstatuions 5’s 36 CUs @ 2.2ghz is better than Xbox Sx 52 CUs @1.85ghz... lol

Sony Ponies will seize on any individual stat to declare superiority of PS5 > XSX, just like XBots will do the same. The real test will be Digital Foundry performing side-by-side gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 later this year.

Kokoloko85

Sony Ponies will seize on any individual stat to declare superiority of PS5 > XSX, just like XBots will do the same. The real test will be Digital Foundry performing side-by-side gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 later this year.

Exactly. Doubt it will be a huge difference to what we are getting now with PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X. Will probably be same price difference too,
Games are what matter. Edit I am a Sony Pony aswell as a Nitendo lover... my heart will always belong to Sega

Last edited:

Flintty

The one you believe in with all your heart is the most powerful.

JOgkL33zRvZOkVLMgFNNnRWS211Nx3BJU_aEUb-MjrFSp6k_6cVq-9N15Wsbm2k-NQQvpXrG1bL_pn5vNpyMci02HdjDtqx3ZdxB16rGlPVB6sVqNim6m4d9bQ

original.gif

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN THE FLOPS AND THE DATA TRANSFER RATES AND BUS SPEED ON THESE SYSTEMS?

WITHER IN AGONY AS YOUR FAVORITE BRAND LOSES THE CONSOLE WAR BEFORE IT EVEN BEGINS

giphy.gif
My favourite post today. I just laughed hard in bed, I think I disturbed the wife.

We have hardware truthers now? Xbox is obviously more powerful, if that means anything at the end of the day is another thing entirely, but raw power is pretty clearly set. "We have to wait and see" people are kidding themselves.

RayHell

I send the same physic simulation to both console. Which one produce the higher framerate ? PS5 because of gpu clock speed. Not all games/scenario/effect max out all compute unit. And in those case ps5 will produce better fps.

Kokoloko85

As a sony fanboy they technically are not wrong at all. In increase in I/O speed for accessing data is a game changer that will free up RAM during usage which in theory can make up a little ground so that the spec difference is negligible in visuals and performance... The fucking important part they forgot about again and are making the same mistake as the ps3 is essentially asking developers to change how they design code and how they make games fundamentally function utilizing hardware. And when developers are faced with the options for multiplats: 1- make 2 separate versions of the game, one traditional structure for sexbox/PC and a different but similar one built from ground up for ps5. 2- maximize game to function on what they already know best for sexbox and pc, and port to ps5 using thier best effort as a measuring bar...which do u think they will chose? Just like the fucking ps3. At least exclusives will look on par with sexbox in 5 years /s

How will this ask developers to change the way they design code and make games etc? PS3 had a whole different engine and architecture

Kokoloko85

We have hardware truthers now? Xbox is obviously more powerful, if that means anything at the end of the day is another thing entirely, but raw power is pretty clearly set. "We have to wait and see" people are kidding themselves.
Digital foundry says its not so obvious. Theres alot of difference between what counts as TFlops for a PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X and PS5.
And also the number of CUs dont mean as much but speed. Its not so clear cut. And we’ll have to wait till side by sides

Sure maybe comparing CU's of the PS5 to the PS4 isn't so clear cut but comparing the CU's in the PS5 to the XSX is.

The XSX is clearly and obviously more powerful. It will have framerate advantages, resolution advantages, raytracing advantages or all of the above compared to every PS5 multiplat.

Digital foundry says its not so obvious. Theres alot of difference between what counts as TFlops for a PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 X and PS5.
And also the number of CUs dont mean as much but speed. Its not so clear cut. And we’ll have to wait till side by sides

PS4 CU vs XSX CU lol.

It's clear as a day that XSX is ahead in raw power.

Top Bottom