• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PlayStation 5 vs. the Xbox Series X: Which is more powerful?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
PS5 is disappointing. I'll more-than-likely still get it, but it won't be day one till I see some compelling games that can only be played on *it*.

*Nightwing

How will this ask developers to change the way they design code and make games etc? PS3 had a whole different engine and architecture
Similar to this. I an not saying the architecture is the same, I am saying they once again are more focused on bringing something new and exciting to the table again, and it is going to backfire again. The CELL processor in the ps3 was cutting edge as multi thread processing was brand new at the time and uncharted territory. Really cool technically at the time it was new and it is the industry norm today, but back then it just meant the ps3 was second best to the 360.

Same with the ps5, really cool, but will always be second best with those specs. Technologically interesting and a glimpse into where technology as a whole might be headed to in the future, but those specs will always be second best to the sxbox for focusing on innovating the industry instead of making the best console they can.

Arkam

We still need so much more info to really have insight into "which is more powerful" unless we are very narrowly focusing on GPU tflops. Does that translate to a better game with better visuals? Probably as raw grunt is super important... but its not a sure thing, just probable. Prudent move would be to wait until both show all and wee see a few games before worrying about which is "better" (if a person were cross shopping)

fallingdove

I think the deviation is becoming pretty clear as to the areas that Sony and Microsoft chose to focus on .

XSX - Better Graphics
PS5 - Faster processing

Definitely looking forward to the DF comparisons.

Last edited:

frogger

The 10.28 TF claim by Sony is questionable with the variable clocks. It means PS5 can't sustain max performance with both CPU and GPU simultaneously. The previous report of 9.2 TF was probably correct. Sony had to OC and report the max performance scenario to make it closer.

I highly doubt the PS5 is going to revolutionise gaming, and neither will the Xbox. The safe bet is it’s going to be more of the same games but with better graphics and faster loading, at least for the most part.

hunthunt

Banned
In the end Fifa, Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty will look the same, just like no one is taking advantage of the superiority of Ps4 over vanilla Xbox and the advantage of Xbox One X over vanilla ps4

I dont get all this. If I take my gameing pc right now and I stick that Sony ssd in there it will make the game load quicker. Fast travel quicker but it wont make the game look better because thats handled by the GPU and the fps wont be effected because thats handled by cpu. If I do hower update my CPU and Gpu from say t tflops to 12 I will see a big graphical and performance improvement. These people need to stop acting like the ssd is gonna make your game look better.

Honestly I'll take my games looking and performing better on x with 8 seconds load times to the less. Powerful system that loads the game in 3 to 4 seconds.

Justin9mm

There's a reason why one presentation demoed ray tracing and the other only said that "it's very resource demanding but some games are already implementing it well". You have your answer.
You mean Microsoft's proven track record of PR marketing hype BS and lies vs Sony's trying to keep it real as always?

Yep I have my answer.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
MS set the standard for next gen at 12TF of RDNA2.

They achieved eight times the TFLOPS of the XBox One S.

Sony failed with a system that only has 9.2TF.

Then they made it worse by only having eight CPU threads.

Then they made it worse by having even less bandwidth.

Then they made it worse by not even having one TB of SSD.
Some people are in for disappointment next generation when they see how close multiplats will look

If you want 60fps, give power to the CPU, if you want consistant 4K, give power to the GPU. All GPUs have variable speeds, but none share power with the CPU like the PS5 does.
Seems like if we haven't seen a power setup like the PS5 before, then it would be foolish to make assumptions based on existing hardware innit?

Top Bottom